Kai

Cold [EXO-Story Compilation]

Pairing: Kai & IU

Rating: PG

 


 

This week had been very busy for the Kim's Dog Shelter and Vet. A dog shelter that has a clinic attached to it. Kai’s mother is a veterinarian while his father was running a dog shelter. They had multiple dog patients which covered about 3 rooms and had about 10 dogs turned over at the shelter. It wasn’t much hard though. Kai’s mother together with her other sister and cousin, which was Suho, were handling the clinic. While he, his father and other sister were handling the shelter. They were all dog lovers so it wasn’t that much of a hustle..it was actually very much enjoyable as to what Kai had told Suho before. Even though many people would think that their short on people actually they were all enough. They all had passion in taking care and had love for dogs. Explains the Kim family’s 3 dogs, actually Kai’s which were— Janggu, Monggu and Janggah— adding up Suho’s pup, Byul, it’ll be four. It was a Monday when the clinic was busy with 2 patients. Fortunately the dog shelter wasn’t very busy, but they were bathing, feeding and playing with the dogs. Kai’s father was playing with the dog, while his sister was at the front desk. Throughout the morning Kai was busy bathing the dogs. Fortunately, he was already on his last. Which was his dog poodle, Janggu. Currently, Kai is leading Janggu out. 

 

"Kai, after with Janjgu can you help me bring these sacks in?" His sister asked.

 

"Yeah sure, noona....I'll just get this done with Janggu." Kai said, as he lifted Janggu up, the said dog was being difficult, cause he laid down on the floor. Halfway on going outside.

 

"You're getting heavier..Janggu-yah!" Kai says as he leaned into the dog's ear. "No more seconds, okay?" Janggu shifted his head to right, as if he was trying to ignore Kai. Giving out a sigh of defeat, Kai laughed. 

 

 

 

Kai was checking out the water temperature, so he tucked Janggu's leash in between his foot and the ground, whether it was cold, hot or just warm. As the water was good enough, he removed the leash on Janggu and had placed him on the small basin. Kai was applying the shampoo on Janggu when suddenly the dog jumped out of the basin then ran around the front of the shop and onto the road. 

 

"Yah! Janggu-YAH!" Kai shouted as he followed the dog. As Kai ran around to the front he mumbled. "Because of this, I need to clean Janggu up a little bit more.."

 

But into his shock Janggu was already being pet by a girl. Baby face, pouty lips, pale face and a little small for his own height. She looked very pretty. As she was petting Janggu, she was still holding another dog on her left. Slowly coming closer, Kai called. "Janggu!" So that the dog— well actually the girl—would notice him.

 

Looking up from where she was petting the dog poodle that was running wet away from the shelter. She smiled—at probably one of the helper. “Annyeong haseyo!”

 

Smiling at the girl as she rose up, he politely replied and smiled. “Oh...Annyeong haseyo!”

 

“He must be from here....he’s quite cute...bathing him?” she asked.

 

“Ah...yes...he’s a little troublemaker..” Kai informed.

 

Smiling the girl showed a little teeth as she gestured the other dog. “I saw this little guy on the street this morning when I went for a jog. I got him and searched a dog shelter. He needs care that he deserves...” the girl said.

 

“Really? I’ll look at him if you don’t mind.” Kai offered.

 

“Sure...it’s fine..I’ll hold..Janggu?”

 

“Yeah..Janggu..and this is?”

 

“I started to call him Byul.”

 

Slowly kneeling down the street, Kai placed Byul just in between his hands and examined him. “Okay..let’s check you up, Byul....you have the same name as my cousin’s dog...” 

 

The girls just continued to watch as Kai did his check up. Biting her lips as she saw Kai shook his head. Sighing, Kai stood up and faced the girl slowly exchanging it for Janggu, gently he laid back the dog in her arms. “It seems that he’s traumatized.... by the cars on the streets I guess.. when he saw the light from my flashlight he shivered and you can see it in his eyes..I guess he almost got hit by a car. Mother will check on him again..but as of now that’s how I noticed it...I see as well that you treated some of the wounds.”

 

“Yes I did, he was slightly bleeding and I saw some flies so I used the anti-flies powder I bought for my dog and used it on him. But yeah..it seems that he has something about lights..that’s why I thought of bringing him here instead..I could take care of him and feed him..but I knew that this would be best.”

 

“Thanks for bringing him here..we’ll take care of him no worries. Go to the front desk my sister will be there to assist you and a little while my mother will check on him. If I may excuse myself—“

 

“—Oh I’m IU....” the girl introduces herself as she reached out a hand.

 

Warmly accepting the hand Kai grinned. “I’m Kai..nice too meet you..”

 

“Nice to meet you too..” IU smiled.

 

Kai gestured her to walk first and he follows behind. As IU was about to go in she turned to Kai who was about to go around the back of the shelter. “I guess I’ll see you later.”

 

Nodding Kai grinned once more. “Yes..”

 

Kai returned to the back in a good time cause as he placed Janggu back on the basin his father went out to look for him.

 

“Kai-yah!”

 

“Ah..Appa!” Kai looked up from where he was kneeling down soaping and scrubbing Janggu.

 

His father leaned on the brick wall on Kai’s right. “There’s a pretty girl at the front desk.”

 

Going back to scrubbing Kai replied. “Ah..IU I guess..”

 

“You know her name?”

 

“I kind of like met her outside because of Janggu running out front..”

 

“Oh really..” Kai’s father replied with an amused and teasing voice.

 

“Appa..I swear to you there’s nothing..”

 

“I don’t believe that..not the way she sweetly mentioned your name.”

 

“She mentioned my name?” Kai stopped scrubbing.

 

Slowly directing himself back him Kai father . “A worker her Kai told me to go here~”

 

“Appa!” Kai said. Sighing as he heard his father’s laugh as he went in. It took a few minutes after he got done with Janggu then after he let the dog roam around the shelter and play with some of the other dogs. He was wiping his hands with a towel when he shook his head for the umpteenth time. He just couldn’t get this IU girl out of his head. Maybe it was her cute smile and luscious lips.

 

AH! KIM JONG IN SNAP OUT OF IT, he mentally scolded himself.

 

“Kai-YAH! Don’t forget about the sacks..”

 

Snapping out of his thoughts, he remembered his noona’s request. “Ah..yeah...I’ll get to it right now noona.”  He said as he carried two sacks at the same time.

 

 

Entering the shelter, Kai was right her sister was by the front desk. IU just waited about 10 minutes before her turn they entered the clinic. After 30 minutes inside Mrs. Kim’s clinic...Byul was turned in for days of check up and IU will be frequently visiting the dog. As she stepped out the clinic, she saw Kai again at the front desk laughing together with his sister. He noticed her from the back of his eye then turned to her.

“Oh hi! Everything turned out okay?” his sister asked smiling.

 

“Ah yes..I guess Byul will have to stay here for a while.” IU said as she stuffed her hands into her skirt’s pocket.

 

“That’s good to hear.” Kai grinned. And as if on cue she smiled as well standing in front of him.

 

Wrong timing of entrance he thought, cause his father was just on the way there to them from the next hall.

 

“Oh hello!” he heard his father as he entered the room. Kai looked at his sister then closed his eyes. “Are you done already, dear?”

 

“Ah yes...thanks for the help.”

 

“No worries..” his father smiled.

 

His sister probably read the atmosphere. Slowly clinging her arms onto their fathers, she led him out the room and asked if he could help her with something.

 

“I’ll just do this..I’ll be back..” his father said. As he left the room.

 

Both of them didn’t notice that they were watching Kai’s father to go out the room.

 

“He’s fun by the way..”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You father I meant he really sure is a talker..”

 

“He is..wait until he talks to you about how he cooks mother’s favourite food....”

 

“Really?” IU giggled.

 

“Yeah...even how cheesecakes are made..”

 

“That seems to be fun...”

 

“Actually..it’s like hell for me..well maybe it does since I hear it all the time..”

 

“Yeah..It makes me miss my father..” IU faced down. Kai took a glance at her and ended up staring at  her face. She looks up and saw that concerned face. “He died when I was 6..I’m sorry I just—“

 

—it’s fine..I’m the one who should say sorry for even asking..”

 

“You didn’t ask though..”

“Still...”

 

They fell silent for awhile again until both of them started with a ‘Hey’ they kind of like said it at the same time which lead them to laughing.

 

“You say it first..” IU told.

 

“Ah..okay...I was wondering if you would like to—“

 

“—get coffee—“

 

“—for awhile.”

 

Both laughed from the previous sentence continuing thing. As they the laugh dimmed IU nodded. “I would like too.”

 

“I’ll just get my jacket and I’ll be right back.”

 

Swiftly getting a jacket from his room he got out and headed back to IU. He ran passed both his father and sister. Grinning his father waved and said. “Have fun!”

 

Both had coffee that afternoon and I could tell you that they had a really fun time. It turned into hours, days, weeks then months into their friendship which turned out a little more than that. Though the first month they were trying to avoid the subject. But when Suho and Kai’s sisters started to tease them, they wanted to talk things out. And they did, Kai was the one who initiated first cause IU never thought that she’ll chicken out on this. Both parents of each parties voted for each of them. It was a dinner when Kai met IU’s mother. It was after her job, she arranged a dinner just to meet Kai. And they fairly got along. As to Kai’s parents they totally loved IU. Sometimes IU would be helping out around the shelter or sometimes the clinic, which gained the Kims an extra hand.

 

Their relationship went a little too extraordinary and smooth. One night they had a heart to heart talk which where Kai had told her that he’ll never make their relationship a promise, which are easily broken carelessly, and he wasn’t even sure if he can keep it too. And that was when they planned to buy a dog poodle for the both of them in the future. Everything turned out to be quite problem less and stress less but that was until the fifth month onto their relationship.

 

They had a huge argument about faithfulness. IU had been suspecting that Kai has someone other else than her under his sleeve. Trust took its toll for the both of them since they thought they knew they had it for each other. Kai had reasoned to her that she wasn’t his wife yet. And yet he wasn’t doing anything wrong. He thought that maybe her lame insecurities took over her or something. And a day they both realized that they were too different for each other. Different was good in a relationship but they were just too different.  Well since both of them weren’t the time to talk first, the coldness took about 2 months of not talking or even contact to each other. Both admitted that they missed each other’s presence, but when their mind float back to their previous argument it just changes. Maybe it wasn’t time or it was just to early or they weren’t just meant to be together.

 

Kai’s sister had been telling to just talk to her just once. Even if it doesn’t work out atleast they would know where they should stand. Their break up— actually it was hard to call it as a break up but it was just too blurry and rough. So yes..Kai mustered up his courage and called IU one night. The call was calm and warm. Kai thought that maybe things would do good for the both of them.

 

Today was the day that he’ll be meeting IU as a park by night. Since it was still afternoon, Kai took the puppy dog poodle, that he’ll be giving IU, onto his bed and started to pet and play with it. Time ticked closer, he got a ribbon and gently put it on the dog. Now at their front door he sighed, putting on his jacket and slipped the dog inside the jacket’s inside pocket. His sister gave him a pat before leaving.

 

Arriving at the park it was slightly dark but the streets and benches were still seen because of the light post. He sat on the bench waiting for IU. It took time but as she came he gave her a welcoming smile.

 

“You look good?” Kai started awkwardly. IU just nodded and gave out a laugh. They had a warm talk and they had settled in just being friends. As IU was about to leave it was when brought out the dog, and handed it to IU. “I guess he’s the only promise I could give you.”

 

“Atleast Kai..I’m not going through Christmas with a broken heart.”

 

Kai smiled then looked down. IU cupped his face so that he’ll look up to her and then he regretted in not blinking for awhile cause she started to cry. “I still love you..”

 

Kai enveloped IU in an embrace. “Don’t cry...you had enough..it never was yours anyways..it’s my turn..It’s my turn to cry IU..I hurt you..”

 

Shooking her head IU nuzzled onto Kai’s chest. “You never did..”

 

“I still love you too..Ji-eun..”

 

Couldn’t control the tears that were falling...she just...she just doesn’t know what to do anymore..but she knows what he wants. He wants her to make him wait.

 

“We had enough..Jong In..”

 

“Not really..”

“Then I’ll wait for you..”

 

“I’ll go back to you..wait for me..I’ll be able to find you again.”

 

“Promise me..”

 

“Okay..”

 

“Yuki?” IU asked, to name the dog.

 

“He’s brown though..but it’s perfect..”

 

And after that..IU left with Yuki in tow. Kai stayed for awhile to catch some air. It took a moment but as he was about to leave the snow was suddenly going back to the sky. It was just surreal Kai thought. Even so, he closed his eyes and said.

 

“I’ll come back..only for you Lee Ji-eun.”

 


 

A/N: 2,526k :) I guess this was the longest? I really don't know.. :) Tao's will be coming up! I'll be finishing cold today :) wait for awhile ;) 

 

INSPIRATION FOR THIS WAS THE DOGGIE BISCUITS I FED MY BOXER(dog) SAM :)

 

 

SORRY FOR TYPOS, BLAME MY LAME KEYBOARD.

fallenangel101299