7/10

When You Wish Upon A Star...

When Himchan wakes up in bed the next day, he feels weirdly... empty. There’s a word or a name or something at the tip of his tongue, but he’s not sure what. His heart feels heavy and constricted with every step he takes and by the time he reaches the bottom floor of his house, he’s in near tears.

 

His mother greets him with a sweet smile. “Are you going to the studio, sweetie?”

 

Himchan nods, absentmindedly. “Yeah.” He pauses in the kitchen. “Mom? Is there... is there someone coming today?”

 

His mother looks up, startled. “No, sweetie. Did you want to bring your friend, Yongguk over?” Himchan stares at his mother. Yongguk. Bbang. “I’m really glad you’re making friends now. We haven’t had someone over since you were 5 or 6.”

 

“That’s because all the kids thought I would kill them by sitting on them,” deadpans Himchan, fixing his hair.

 

“Channie!”

 

“You know it’s true, mom,” he mumbles, walking out of the house.

 

He stuffs his hands into his pockets, eyes trained to the ground, just as before. His steps are quick and hurried and he ignores the glances, the mutterings. They are a constant reminder of his past. He in his stomach, willing his body to disappear. His eyes narrow as he tries to rack his brain for word trapped in his mouth. It’s something. Something important and his lack of recall drives the young man insane.

 

Himchan hasn’t been able to shake the activity of walking places. Walking means exercise and exercise means more calories burned. More calories burned means he’s closer to being beautiful. He stops at the crosswalk, waiting impatiently for the walk signal.

 

“Ah. Look how cute that boy is!”

 

“He’s not bad..”

 

“Not bad? He looks gorgeous.”

 

“Eh. He could stand to lose a few pounds. And his skin isn’t very good. It’s so dark and look, you can even see the pimples.”

 

“Agh. You’re so picky, sis.”

 

“I only like the best of men.”

 

Himchan focuses on the road ahead, but his eyes are prickling with tears. He wishes he was deaf. He wishes he didn’t have to hear his imperfections broadcast. He wants to be beautiful, but there’s always something wrong. He in his stomach further and crosses the street quickly.

 

“You left too soon,” whines Gabriel. “Look at him--”

 

“Wait until he meets his soulmate.”

 

Gabriel sighs. “Your record is gonna be tarnished, agent.”

 

Jongup eyes the archangel. “I don’t care about my record, Gabriel.”

 

“You should,” huffs the archangel. He watches as another feather drops from the younger angel’s wing. “J--”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“You realize I have higher power over you. And I can--”

 

Jongup’s eyes meet the other’s. “You can what? Send me away?”

 

Gabriel grumbles. “You need a chat with Raphael.”

 

“I’m shaking.”

 

Gabriel glowers. “You young angels have no respect.”

 

“Sorry, Archangel Gabriel.”

 

Throwing its hands up, Gabriel leaps to the highest level, leaving Jongup to watch over Himchan alone.

 

Himchan arrives outside of the cafe, stepping in carefully. His eyes scan the small room, searching for the familiar face. His eyes catch a familiar head bopping along to music and a smile stretches across his face. Shaking his head, Himchan approaches the cashier, ordering an Americano softly before treading closer to his friend.

 

Pushing down one side of the other’s headphones, Himchan whispers, “Do you ever do anything that doesn’t involve music, Bbang?”

 

Pulling down the other side with a smile, Yongguk gestures for the other male to sit across from him. “Nah. Music is my life. Nam sayin’?”

 

Himchan rolls his eyes, taking a sip of his coffee. “No. I don’t. But that’s probably because I have a life.”

 

“Aww, come on, Channie. I’m not that bad.”

 

“This is your first time leaving the studio all week, isn’t it?”

 

Yongguk blushes under the scrutiny, trying to come up with something to deter the current conversation. “So, hey. When am I meeting your friend?”

 

Himchan raises a brow. “Trying to change the topic, Bbang? What friend?”

 

Yongguk grins cheekily. “Uh-- Jongup?”

 

Himchan’s head snaps up. “Who?”

 

“Jongup.”

 

Himchan’s head spins as he recalls the name and suddenly the weight from his heart is lifted, but the tightness grows. “Jonguppie...”


Jongup grabs Yongguk by the collar. His grip on Yongguk is the only reason the other doesn’t topple back to earth. “Who are you? I cleansed the Earth of me.”