2/10

When You Wish Upon A Star...

The next time they meet is on the way to school. Jongup smiles brightly upon registering the approaching individual. Himchan can feel his heart pounding with every step he takes. They fall in step easily, but there’s no pressure to talk. Himchan likes that. He like the easy atmosphere that Moon Jongup brings to him and for the first time in years, he doesn’t feel the need to put her headphones back on while walking through the streets.

 

The academy is in sight when Jongup finally talks. “Do you live in nearby?”

 

“No.” Himchan’s response is short and full of barriers.

 

Jongup sighs because , why was this mission that hard and why was he being so damn cryptic about everything? “Where do you live?” It’s a safe enough question Himchan determines so he mentions an address at least a half an hour away by car. Jongup’s brows furrow, but the other boy pays him no mind as he continues on his way.

 

It isn’t until lunch time and they’re both sitting under the shade of the tree that Jongup brings it up again. Much to Himchan’s dismay. “Do you walk to school?” He asks, incredulously. Jongup knows humans are strange, but really, wasn’t this too much?

Himchan sighs, closing his eyes briefly. “Yes.”

Interesting. No. Maybe not interesting. Maybe bad. Jongup watches Himchan’s face carefully. “Why?” He’s genuinely interested. Jongup doesn’t see anything wrong with Himchan. He knows humans are supposed to be imperfect. Humans are inherently flawed and evil. That’s why it is their duty to protect them and their pure wishes. But the instructors at the training academy couldn’t be talking about Himchan he determines. Because Himchan is the most pure individual Jongup has ever met and he doesn’t know why he’s hurting himself.

Himchan gets up, ignoring his question and Jongup sighs, staring up. His progress report isn’t going to look good.


 

“Agent Moon.”

“Instructor,” he replies, standing across from the archangel. The room is small and narrow and Jongup hates it.

“Your report, agent.”

Jongup sighs, sinking into the seat for him. “I don’t... understand him. He’s pure of heart, I can see that, but--”

“Emotions, agent,” is his reminder.

Jongup clears his throat. “I am working on him, sir. I believe the wish will be fulfilled soon.”

“Your time is being logged, agent. Make it quick.” And Jongup is back on earth, back beneath the tree, and back to Himchan.



 

He catches Himchan walking home and jogs to keep up with him. The headphones are in place again and Himchan ignores Jongup. It hurts. Jongup doesn’t know why. He’s been ignored by his requesters before. It’s common. But when Himchan ignores him, Jongup feels like the world is crumbling around him. Jongup follows Himchan, staying in step with the other. They’ve been walking for more than an hour when Himchan finally speaks.

 

“I want to be beautiful. I want to be so beautiful, people love me.”

 

Himchan stops right outside his house and Jongup peers at the building, curiously. Himchan walks up to the door, turning to Jongup. His face is a little red and his voice squeaks when he thanks him, but it warms Jongup’s heart. And for the second time since they’ve met, Jongup feels his heart pound against his chest.


 

The third time his heart thuds is when he can’t find Himchan. Jongup has memorized Himchan’s schedule and knows where he is at all times, but not now. Now Himchan’s not here. His heart pounds wildly in his chest and Jongup runs through the school, frantically. He can hear a group of boys giggling as they leave the bathroom and Jongup appraises them briefly before venturing inside.

 

“Looking for your boyfriend?” One sneers, but Jongup ignores him. Humans like that aren’t as precious as his Himchan.

 

The soft sobs emitting inside alert him of the other’s presence. It’s silent when he enters the bathroom and Jongup wonders if he was imagining it. He cross the bathroom, opening up the second stall. Himchan flinches at the sound, curling his body away from the offending presence.

“It’s me,” he mumbles, dropping to his knees near the crying boy.

 

Himchan sniffs a couple of times. He doesn’t want to cry in front of Jongup, but when Jongup brings his body closer, Himchan shudders and the tears fall out again.



 

“I made you lunch,” Jongup says when they meet for lunch the next day. Himchan open his mouth to protest, but Jongup’s already put a piece of meat on his tongue and it’s been so long since he’s had a decent meal.

 

Himchan closes his eyes and relishes the taste of food on his tongue before turning to glare. “I’m on a diet.”

 

“You don’t need to be.”

 

“Have you seen me?” Himchan exclaims, pointing to his body.

 

“Yeah. All the time. You don’t need to be--”

 

“I want to.”

 

Jongup looks up from his lunch dish, his eyes taking on a more serious look than Himchan is accustomed to seeing. “I don’t want you to. You’re beautiful already.” He says it with such conviction, Himchan really wants to believe it. He sighs, opening his mouth again and Jongup’s eyes light up. “Here, hyung!” he exclaims. “Try this one!”

 

Himchan chuckles, but bites into the meat all the same. He hopes Jongup can’t hear his heart pounding.




Jongup breathes easily, walking away from Himchan’s house. The smile on the human’s face makes his lips curve upwards as well. Jongup knows he has to help fulfill the wish no matter what.