3/10

When You Wish Upon A Star...

It isn’t until a year later that the fruits of his dieting and walking (and maybe also Jongup’s encouraging words) begin to show. And of course Jongup is the first to be told. Although, Kim Himchan was never not beautiful to Moon Jongup.

 

“Jonguppie (because after a year of knowing each other, Himchan just had to give the cute boy a nickname)!” He calls, excitedly, placing an arm around the shorter boy’s shoulder. “Jonguppie, look at me!”

 

Jongup glances up from his gameboy. It’s a funny little contraption, but he enjoys it. He looks at Himchan long and hard. Exactly what is supposed to notice? “I’m looking, hyung.” Jongup finds himself easily using the awkward human tongue and for some reason, calling Himchan hyung just fit.

 

“No, really look, Jonguppie! I mean really look.”

 

Jongup raises a brow, exasperated. “You look fine, hyung.”

 

“Fine?!” Exclaims Himchan, hands perched on his hip. Jongup has to stifle the laughter that is already halfway escaping his lips because Himchan just looks so ridiculous. “I look better than fine. I look great. All that dieting--”

 

“Starving,” Jongup corrects because he is an angel after all and he can’t lie. What Himchan was doing-is doing- is most definitely starving.

 

Himchan glares half heartedly because unfortunately, it is very difficult being angry at Jongup (or perhaps that’s fortunate). “Dieting,” he stresses. “Has paid off!” Jongup nods, his smile growing wider as Himchan’s elation increases.

 

It’s nice to see Himchan smile. He’s sad that it’s come to this, but at least Himchan is smiling.

 

 

Himchan’s a good student. A really good student. Far better than any of his tormentors, Jongup determines. His back hunches over as he goes over his notes and flips through the textbook. Jongup watches with careful eyes as Himchan reads and memorizes the sentences under his breath. Himchan’sbangs fall over his face and Jongup suddenly has the urge to push them away so he can see the beautiful face better.

 

“Agent.”

 

Jongup blinks. When did they whisk him off?

 

“It’s been over a year.”

 

“I know,” Jongup whispers. The truth is, he doesn’t want to leave Himchan. The act of loving oneself takes time. Years. Some people go their entire lives without ever once loving themselves.

 

The instructor frowns. Jongup is his best.

 

“Then fix it, agent. Your requestor is not the only human.”


 

And with that, Jongup is back to Himchan. Jongup replays the conversation in his head over and over again. Sometimes it feels as if Himchan is the only human though. He glances at the focused Himchan and smiles. Himchan’s the only one that matters at least.



 

The next time Himchan approaches him with a big smile isn’t until the next year.

 

“Jonguppie~!” He calls, bounding over to the boy laying on the grass. He skids to a halt next to him and lays down as well. “Guess what?”

 

Jongup opens one eye, glancing at the radiant boy, “You got in.”

 

Himchan’s eyes are literally sparkling and he turns to his side, the smile never dropping. “With a full scholarship.”

 

Jongup turns to his side as well, tucking an arm under his head. “Because you’re amazing, hyung.”

 

Himchan scoffs. “You always say that,” he murmurs, moving the stray hairs from Jongup’s face.

 

Jongup smiles, “Because it’s true.”

 

Himchan blushes at the words and Jongup feels his heart pound again. They stay like that momentarily, Himchan’s hand still threading through Jongup’s locks. Jongup can’t take his eyes away from Himchan’s face. He always scoffed at the idea that humans were God’s favored creations. Humans were disgusting and grimey. They were greedy and murderous.

 

But Himchan, Himchan is different. Himchan is beautiful in every way of the word and Jongup never wants to leave his side.



“Stop those thoughts, agent.”

Jongup blinks. He’s back in Heaven. With an angry archangel.

“Stop those thoughts. Humans are beautiful. That is something you may think. Stop those thoughts you have for your requestor. You’re only job is to fulfill his wish.”

Jongup blinks. “but--”

The archangel glares. “Keep your emotions in check. You’re an angel.”



 

And he’s back. Himchan must have noticed the change because he suddenly sits up, fingers out of Jongup’s hair.

 

“I just wanted to tell you that,” he says quietly, standing up.

 

Jongup nods, turning back to his original position. He throws his arm over his eyes. Perhaps if he blocked Himchan’s beauty.

 

“I’ll see you later, Jonguppie!” he says and Jongup can hear him leaving. The pounding hasn’t gone away except with every step Himchan takes away from him, the pounding becomes more painful.