A Different Kind of Me

My Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I went to the hospital to meet up with Dr. Han Eun Mi again to inform her about my decision. Even though I’ve only met her once, I feel like I have the responsibility to at least inform her about it. I like her a lot, the impression she gave me, the amount of care I could feel even though I’ve only met her once warm my heart. Dr. Han immediately smiled at me when I entered her room and she tell me to sit down. She looked at me from the top to the bottom and she just nods.

 

“You know, if you’ve decided on having the baby, you should at least eat well so that the baby can eat as well. The first trimester is usually the hardest and I bet that it’s been hard on you with all the nauseous and everything. How are you coping up with everything? And how’s your parents taking in your decision?” It’s like she’s a psychic to even know why I’m here and what I’m going to say to her.

 

“I haven’t told my parents yet. They didn’t saw any of the pregnancy sign I’m showing yet, so I’m safe for now.” I told Dr. Han. I haven’t even figured out what I’m going to do in the future when my stomach starts growing bigger and bigger.

 

“Do you want to stay with me? You can tell your parents that you’ve signed in with a company to be a trainee or something? I’ve been living alone for quite some time after my sister went to further her study in Malaysia. I could use some company.” Dr. Han said to me. I look at her, couldn’t believe what I just heard. How can she just offer me to live with her, a total stranger? And how can I accept an offer from a total stranger despite feeling that she’s a very kind lady. You know, people always say something that goes like, a criminal doesn’t wear a hat that says ‘I’m a criminal’.

 

“But we don’t know each other?” I said directly, not trying to hide my feelings at all. Dr. Han just laughed at my question but afterwards agree on that point.

 

“I don’t know. I feel like you’re a nice girl and I won’t say I’m not a criminal or anything because some movies did show a normal looking doctor turns out to be some crazy lunatic, so I’m not different than them, am I? But the reason why I give you this offer is because I had a friend who once went through the same thing you’re experiencing right now and she didn’t have anyone at that time, and she ended up committing suicide after giving the baby to me. I didn’t know she was going to commit suicide. I only found out after the police called me and told me that they found a will written by her for me. She left the baby under my care because she knows I can take good care of her. We were both 18 when I got her baby. That’s why the staffs calls me a young widow, because they thought I had a baby and got divorced at a young age. I don’t want to see someone walking that road again. Maybe it’s fate that you ended up coming to this hospital instead of other hospital. Maybe I am fated to help you,” Dr. Han said to me and somehow I cried listening to that story. Just then, we heard a knock on the door and a kid probably 6 or 7 years old enter the room hugging Dr. Han.

 

“So you raise him up alone?” I ask Dr. Han who is now trying to dry up the sweat on the little boy’s forehead using the towel she had in her room. The boy keep on laughing and keep on trying to kiss Dr. Han when Dr. Han jokingly said no to him.

 

“I did not raise him alone. If I did, I don’t think you’d be seeing me here today. My parents took care of him whenever I have classes and they supported my decision in raising him. So because of that, I really think I should at least help someone who have gone through the same thing like my friend who gave me the lovely present,” She suddenly talk in English to me, probably doesn’t want her son to understand what she’s saying.

 

“I’ll think about your offer. How old is he by the way?” Remembering that Dr. Han said she got the baby when she was 18, but this boy looks too young to be that baby.

 

“Oh this boy right here is five years old and is not the baby I talked about. This is another boy I adopted from a young mother like you, who got pregnant while attending an art school, that’s why I kind of understand all those things about art school, training etc. This kid right here meets his mom every week if she’s doesn’t have any schedule. If she’s busy, she’ll at least come once a month to visit. The baby I talked about just now is in middle school.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter