The Past and Sadly, the Present (Part 4)

Dating

 

 

 

 

 

"Tiffany?" I was dazed as my heart skipped a beat after hearing the voice of Tiffany over the phone.

 

"Hey, Tiffany..." I called her attention once again as I received no response.

 

"Are you crying?" I asked worriedly as I heard her quietly sobbing on the phone, "Hey, what's wrong?" I pleaded as she didn't stopped crying.

 

"Fany-ah..." I mumbled on the phone, "Stop crying... mhm?"

 

I looked down on the ground, still listening on Tiffany's cries. As she cried, I remembered a certain past. A past where I can consider a turning point of my relationship with Tiffany. The past where we started to get closer to each other. Her cry reminded me.

 

It was the year of 2012. It was Fall, to be exact. That time, I was still in awe as I can't believe that I became friends with the whole members of SNSD. It was thanks to their promotions regarding Intel. I was able to meet them for a few times as I always made a way to be included regarding their promotions to the company. Tiffany also treated me to some meals, saying that it was a sign of thanks on my delivery of her lost pouch and some errands that I ran for her.

 

Watching their concert, their musicals, was just a few things I did. I was also invited by them whenever they wanted to hang out. Watching movies, having meals together, anything under the sun. I was closest to Seohyun at that time. I guess because we're at the same age. I was living the life. I was, literally, a friend to them.

 

I was contented on being a friend as I didn't even imagined that I will be one. I thought that I will die without even getting the chance to talk to them. My relationship with the members was more than enough. Being a friend is enough for me.

 

But I can't deny that there were some nights where I have a drink. Sulking on the reality that I am only a friend. A friend to Tiffany. It got worse than friendzone as the time passed by. I was dongsaeng-zoned that time.

 

But just like what I said earlier, It was around fall of 2012 where I thought that she saw me in a different light. I somehow saw in her eyes that I'm not a dongsaeng to her anymore. I was a man.

 

Exactly eleven thirty nine in the evening, I arrived at some high-branded bar. I wiped the sweat that accumulated on my forehead, which made my fringe lightly damped, making it obvious that I was a bit tired from some running. Well yeah, after getting a text from Tiffany, asking me to accompany her, around twenty minutes earlier, I ran as fast as I could from my apartment up to this bar after failing to catch a cab.

 

I became self-conscious as I entered the modern styled bar. I hid both of my hands on the pocket of my hoodie as I became a bit embarrassed after seeing the customers dressed as if they earn millions of won per week. Which is of course, so high compared to my little salary.

 

I puffed my cheeks and sighed, glancing at the customers as I tried to find Tiffany. There she was, dressed in a black mini dress, sitting around the corner where a lot of empty tables surrounded her. I walked to her and sat in front of her. Her head was lowered, not allowing me to see her face.

 

"Ugh..." I made random noises, hoping that she'll notice me.

 

I glanced over at the table, allowing myself to see that she was having a hard liquor. Trying to make her notice me, I spoke foolishly, "Wah, so you can drink hard liquor?"

 

"I guess what the members said were true? That you were the one with the highest alcohol tolerance~" I laughed slightly, wanting to create a good atmosphere.

 

Tiffany didn't respond as she slowly lifted up her head. I saw her face with some tears planted on the corner of her eyes.

 

She was crying.

 

My heart sunk.

 

Seeing Tiffany, the one who always have a happy aura and the one who always smiled with her eyes, crying was just a heartbreaker for me. My source of happiness is crying.

 

I gulped hard as I became blank for a couple of seconds. I didn't know what to do nor what to say. I cursed myself mentally as I assumed that my jokes were a little offensive to her. And, foolishly, I assumed that that was the reason why she was crying.

 

"A-a-a-" I began to stutter like a fool since comforting a crying girl was a first for me, "A-are you... o-okay?" I blabbered my twisted Korean words as I spoke.

 

"No..." Tiffany answered as she wiped her tears off her eyes.

 

Next thing I remember, I was walking with Tiffany as our shadows walked with us. It was a silent night as the parade of street lamps lightened the empty road. A typical scene on a Korean drama, I guess. It was silent as we walked. All I can hear was the sound of the high heels of Tiffany as she walked in front of me. I wanted to ask her if she's okay wearing heels since we were walking quite long now. As my lips parted to allow me to speak, she turned around to face me.

 

"Thanks." She smiled and turned around again to continue on her track.

 

I smiled as I saw her smiling, glad that she's smiling now. Then, I ran for a couple of seconds to catch up on her.

 

"For what?" I asked as I walked beside her.

 

"For accompanying me?" Tiffany replied as she took a glance at me while we walked.

 

"Well... that's nothing..." I smiled foolishly, "Anyway, why were you crying earlier?"

 

Tiffany suddenly stopped walking as I finished the question I asked.

 

'Oh crap... how can I ask that question?' I chewed myself mentally as I also stopped on my track. How can I remind Tiffany of the reason why she was crying earlier. Especially now that she seems to get over it.

 

'Ugh, I'm dead.' I lowered my head as I regretted asking that stupid question.

 

"Hmm..." Tiffany then started walking, surprising the part of me. I also continued to walk slowly as I walked beside her carefully.

 

"It's because I miss my family..." She mumbled.

 

Feeling apologetic, I quickly apologized, "Sorry for asking..."

 

"Especially my mom..." She continued to mumble.

 

That's when I felt more apologetic. Knowing Tiffany's family background, that's the last thing or the topic that I don't want to talk with her.

 

'I hate myself... I hate you---' My thoughts were interrupted as my heartbeat became rapid all of a sudden.

 

Tiffany is suddenly hugging me. Her face, buried in my chest. As for my face, it became red as a tomato, which is also the same for my ears.

 

"I really miss them..." Tiffany mumbled as she tightened her arms around my waist.

 

Then I came back to reality. I felt how lonely Tiffany is. Her low cracked voice made me want to steal her loneliness. It's okay for me to be the loneliest guy in the world as long as Tiffany won't be lonely.

 

We stayed like that for the next couple of minutes as I tried to come up with something to cheer her up. I want to pat her back and say something but I can't. Who am I to do that? I just stayed still, knowing that Tiffany might have already noticed my heartbeat beating so fast and loud.

 

"Do you want to speak in english?" I suddenly blurted out of the blue.

 

Tiffany was confused as she didn't understand what I said. She had this 'huh?' face as she pulled her head away from me and released her embrace.

 

"I mean..." I scratched the back of my head knowing that my sudden suggestion was lame, "We can have a conversation in english so that you won't miss your home that much..."

 

"If you get what I mean..."

 

"Let's forget that..." I laughed dryly, "That's a lame one, right?"

 

"It's fine with me! You really do care about me, huh?" Tiffany said as she smiled, "How sweet of you." She was beaming the most beautiful smile and eye smile as I leap out of joy.

 

I can't help but to smile, "It's because I love you..." I mumbled all of a sudden, startling Tiffany and myself.

 

Tiffany smiled as I bit my lower lip hard, embarrass of my sudden unintended confession.

 

"I mean..." I tried to think of something to say to make it less awkward, "I mean... I... love all of you... all of the members..." I reasoned out but it seems like Tiffany didn't buy it as she was still smiling as she laughed quietly with her shoulders.

 

"Oh~" Tiffany was now teasing me, "That's why your heart was beating so fast earlier when I hugged you?"

 

I can only clench my teeth as I faked a laugh since embarrassment took over. I lowered my head, scratching my nape as Tiffany continued to tease me.

 

Her teasing didn't stop as we arrived in front of the door of her apartment. She was standing against it as I faced her. She suddenly became quiet compared to earlier. Trying to break the silence, I spoke up.

 

"Taeyeon is sleeping here with you, right?"

 

TIffany shook her head, "She's not."

 

"Why? Doesn't she always sleep here?" I asked as I became worried that she might spend the night alone, which is of course, I didn't want to happen.

 

"We fought..." She answered back as she lightly nodded.

 

"The two of you?" I was surprised on what I heard, knowing how close the both of them are.

 

"It was my fault so..." She answered as she played with her fingers, "I have to make it up to her as soon as possible..."

 

"Then are you going to spend the night alone?"

 

"No, Sunny is here." She answered as she beamed a bitter smile. I guess she feel a little bit sad on her current situation with Taeyeon.

 

"I see..." I nodded, "Then, Tiffany are you free tomorrow?" I asked after gathering up some courage.

 

"Wait..." Tiffany then frowned at me playfully, "Why aren't you calling me noona? You're the same age with Seo, right?"

 

"Ah... sorry about that..." I laughed awkwardly, "Should I call you a noona then? I mean didn't we agree to talk in english? You know, I was just doing how the western people do..."

 

Tiffany nodded as she seemed to agree with me, "Okay... just call me Tiffany. Makes me less conscious about my aging age."

 

"What do you mean old? You're still young though..." I said as I smiled.

 

"Not after the next seven or eight years..." She sighed as she seemed to be bothered.

 

"Don't worry, I'll still love you after a hundred years!" I blurted out foolishly, startling myself and Tiffany once again.

 

Tiffany giggled as I knew that she's going to tease me again.

 

"I mean... you know, as a... fan... and uh... friend..." I mumbled as I bit my lower lip between every word.

 

Tiffany just smiled lovingly at me. She then leaned closer at me, drawing her face near me. Dugeun, dugeun, my heart was going to burst.

 

Then I felt it, her soft lips landing onto my cheeks.

 

She quickly opened the door after giving me a surprise kiss on my right cheek. Before she entered, she said something as I stood frozen like a statue.

 

"Yep!~ I'm free tomorrow. Call me~" She beamed a smile at me once again before the door was totally closed.

 

If I remember correctly, I stood there for almost an hour, trying to absorb what just happened. It was 2012 back then, the start of the next level of my relationship with Tiffany. Little did I know that after a few days of the start of 2013, we will officially become a couple.

 

And now... back to 2014, the sad present, we officially ended our relationship.

 

I was still on my phone as I waited for Tiffany to stop crying. After a minute of silence, I assumed that she already stopped crying.

 

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

 

"No..." Tiffany answered back.

 

I bit my lower lip as I wanted to come up with something to cheer her up.

 

"I have a joke about strawberry jam..." I suddenly said.

 

"What is it?" Tiffany asked on her low voice as she sniffed.

 

"I won't tell you..." I smiled as I switched my phone to my other ear.

 

"Why?" Tiffany sulked cutely as I can totally imagine her pouting.

 

"Because you might spread it~" I giggled on my silliness and at the same time, clenching the fingers of my free hand on the cheesiness.

 

"You feel better now?" I asked as I heard Tiffany laughing over the phone.

 

"Yeah..."

 

"I miss you..." She said as her voice came low, allowing me to feel how sincere she was.

 

"I miss you too, Tiffany..."

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Appreciate all the subs, comments, and upvotes!

Thanks! Hope you liked it!

1/19/14