college au : finals

Daydreaming

 

COLLEGE AU : FINALS
"i just don't get it.."
Three third year students sat in the center of Korea University's giant cafeteria where they met for their mandatory midday 'I-need-a-break-from-all-this-stress-so-let's-just-be-sad-and-stressed-together' meeting.
Two of the three - a male and a female - sat on one side of the table while the other sat in front of them. The black haired male had one hand on his laptop - most likely working on the newest lyrics for his new mixtape or the more boring but common class assignment - with his other arm resting on his girlfriend's shoulder. He wore a white tee and a light blue denim flannel with black pants and timberlands to match.
The female had dark brown eyes and long chocolate hair to match, and was sipping on chocolate bubble tea. She wore white shoes, black leggings, a blue top that matched Yongguk's shirt, and a fuzzy pink beanie. 
The girl who sat across from them with short light brown hair and green eyes was currently having a larger than life crisis (which happened almost every other week). She wore ripped black jeans, white shoes, and a graphic tee depicting one of her favorite video game characters.
Her friend cocked her head to the side, thoughtful. "Hey isn't Umma working today at the Resource Center? I'm pretty sure she's doing chem review today. Go help yourself and go see her."
The green eyed female groaned, throwing her head in her hands. "You don't understand Miyoung. I shouldn't be going to tutoring, this should be easy for me," she mumbled. "Why can't I get it..." 
Miyoung rolled her eyes and took a sip from her boba. "Chill Dari, we can't understand everything they throw at us here. Remember when Yongguk and I took Calc II?"
She paused and the two shuddered.
"Thank god that's over with." Yongguk tore his eyes away from his computer and shook his head. "If I ever have to sit through another math class I might just about die." He grabbed a fry from the tray that three were sharing. " the system," he mumbled under his breath.
Dari scowled. "But you guys aren't majoring in this ! Miyoung you're a freaking history major for crying out loud! Yongguk, you're majoring in music. You guys don't get it." She slammed her head on the cafeteria table in frustration, there was no way in hell she was going to pass her chem final. 
Miyoung and Yongguk shared looks and sighed, she was hopeless. 
"Just go, okay?" Miyoung pushed. "Umma can help you." 
Dari threw her hand in the air and waved off her friend, a sign that she would comply but for now they should just leave her alone. 
Miyoung rolled her eyes once more and pushed her chair back, getting her things ready. "Fine, be that way. We have to get to class anyway but text me later okay? Tell me how it goes."
Yongguk quickly packed up his things and took Miyoung's hand, the two leaving the cafeteria. 
As the two walked to class hand in hand Yongguk began to think out loud. "I think Youngjae is working today too. He said something about helping a friend. Should we go get tutoring too?"
"Nah. Who wants to go to tutoring?"  
xXx
"This is stupid." Dari rubbed her temples in an attempt to soothe her forming headache. "I should know this." She continued to walk towards the resource center, mumbling under her breath as she walked into the building. 
She couldn't help but feel frustrated at the fact that she was struggling. This isn't how it's supposed to be. There has to be something easier than this. She pushed open the door leading to the room where her friend was usually stationed, ready for her impending doom.
That was the exact moment she ran into a large wall. "Ouch," the wall cried.
Wait a second - walls don't talk.
Dari looked up at the tall object while rubbing her throbbing forehead. The 'wall' was actually a tall boy wearing a gray turtleneck, looking down at her with rosy cheeks. He looked away nervously, moving off to the side. "Sorry," the boy mumbled.
The girl blinked, taken aback by the boy's features. He had dark black hair that brushed over his eyes, and bright red lips. He's so cute, she thought to herself.
She blushed once she realized her pause had lasted a lot longer than the usual pause would have and quickly scrambled past him. "Oh. I um - I'm sorry."
"It's okay," the boy awkwardly responded before quickly turning around and speed walking away from encounter. Something flashed in the corner of Dari's eye from where the boy last stood, she picked it up in confusion.
Is this his? It looks like his planner. Once she realized that he would probably need his planner, she made a move to go after him - before realizing it was probably way too late and he was long gone.
Puzzled, she took the object with her and continued to walk towards the table where her Umma was probably at. When she finally found her, she smiled and greeted her friend, the planner still in her hand.
"Hey Umma. I'm ready to get this stupid thing over with."
Sooyeon - ''Umma' - nodded and smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, it's going to be fine. I'll try to help you as much as possible, okay?"
Dari nodded.
"But first-" her friend looked at the unfamiliar object in Dari's hand - "what's that?"
"Oh. This? I ran into some tall guy leaving the room when I came in. He dropped this and I didn't see it until after he was already gone..." she blushed as she remembered the awkward encounter with the handsome boy.
"Is there a name on it?" Sooyeon questioned.
"Not that I could see," Dari flipped through the first few pages and found nothing but a few scribbles. "And I didn't feel comfortable looking through his entire schedule you know?"
"Yeah," Sooyeon nodded, the wheels already turning in her head. "Oh, I know. Youngjae can you come over here?" she turned to the table behind the two, where a dark haired boy with glasses was sitting.
He rushed over as soon as Sooyeon called his name, smiling happily. "Yes noona?"
Sooyeon blushed - causing Dari to snicker - and cleared . "Were you helping someone out just now? Someone who was tall? He accidentally left something behind and Dari found it."
"Tall guy? Well my friend was just here for math tutoring, I could give it back to him if you want. Oh no I can't my shift doesn't end till closing."
He paused and thought to himself. "Oh! I have an idea. Dari! I can tell him that he dropped it and that you'll go give it back to him after this. Sound good?"  
Dari opened to respond but before she had the chance to, Youngjae was already speeding away. "Good! I'll text him your info and tell him to text you!"
Dari just looked at Sooyeon in confusion. Sooyeon shook her head and shrugged. "That's Youngjae for you."
Dari sighed and placed the planner off to the side of the table. "You really know how to pick a man." 
Sooyeon turned a dark shade of pink and shook her head furiously, embarrassed. "Me and Youngjae? No." 
Dari gave her a knowing look. "You guys are practically already dating! The both of you always ditch the rest of us to go study in the library and you always work the same shifts. AND last week Miyoung said that she saw you at Jinju's favorite boba tea shop with Youngjae!" 
"Shhh," Sooyeon flipped open her chemistry textbook. "Let's just focus on chemistry, okay?"
xXx
Dari sighed and looked at her phone clock, waiting.
6:43 pm
She picked up her coffee, thanked the employee and returned to her seat. She chewed on her bottom lip as she waited for the coffee to cool, her mind going back to the mysterious boy.
After she had no say in Youngjae's spontaneous plans, an unknown number texted her, very shyly asking if they could meet at the campus' Starbucks at 7. So she continued to sit. Waiting.
While she waited for the mysterious wall, she heard two familiar voices arguing.
"Grape juice tastes awful! What are you talking about??"
Wait a second... Dari turned around in her seat. Two tables away sat her best friend and her brother, arguing most likely over a 'don't get me started' battle gone wrong.
"What are you talking about Yongguk?? There's nothing wrong with grape juice OR grapes for that matter."
Dari groaned and walked over to their table, exasperated.
"I never said I had anything against grapes, it's just the juice that's the pro-"
"What the are you guys doing?"
The two paused from their heated argument and looked up at the newcomer. Miyoung smiled. "Oh, hey Dari. What are you doing here?"
She rolled her eyes and took a sip out of her coffee, shrugging. "I'm meeting someone here."
Miyoung's eyes widened, the first thing to come out of was, "WHAT THE HELL REALLY YOU DIDN'T TELL ME, YONGGUK SHE DIDN'T TELL ME RIGHT -"
"-She did not-"
"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?? IS THIS BECAUSE OF LAST TIME BECAUSE I TOTALLY-"
"It's nothing like that," Dari slapped her friend's arm lightly. "This guy dropped his planner after I ran into him and me, being the great person that I am, decided to return it to him. Youngjae had his number so we decided to meet here at 7."
Miyoung immediately relaxed, "oh."
Yongguk cocked his head, curious. "Who's this guy?"
Dari shrugged. "Youngjae's friend? I don't know. Umma probably knows more about him than I do." She thought back to his cute and awkward demeanor, bringing a smile to her face.
"He's cute too."
"Ohohohoho," Yongguk wiggled his brow.
Dari rolled her eyes and shook her head of the thought. "But that's not important. What are you guys doing here anyway??"
Miyoung gave her best friend a 'you should know by now' look and said, "We're studying for finals of course. I was helping Yongguk with his US History paper and he was helping me figure out the music I was going to use for my dance final but then we got bored and started playing 'don't get me started'-"
"-and she asked me about grape juice by the way-"
"and he had the nerve to say that grape juice tasted bad! Then you came over here and now we're talking." Miyoung nodded her head as if that was the most normal progression of events in the world.
Dari smacked her head in frustration and went back to her table. Those two are hopeless. As soon as she sat back down the light ring signaling a new customer went off. She turned her head to the entrance, her stomach in knots. 
She watched his lanky noodleness walk in through the door, searching. She gulped and waved, trying to get his attention. She smiled when he noticed her and awkwardly shuffled over. 
"Um, hi." He shyly smiled.
"Hi," she breathed. 
Silence.
"So, um. Can I have my planner back?" 
"Oh. Yeah!" She took the planner off the table and held it out to him. "Sorry about bumping into you." 
"No no it's fine," the boy cutely smiled. He took the planner from her hands, their fingers brushing in the process. The two shyly looked away and blushed, the boy coughing and the girl sheepishly rubbing the back of her head. 
He cleared his throat, "Thanks , you literally just saved my life. I'm Choi Junhong, I just transferred here from Busan University. I'm a 3rd year." He held his arm out and Dari shook it, the warmth of his hand radiating onto hers. She smiled and felt her stomach fluttering. She let go of his hand once she realized the handshake had gone on for a little too long.
"My name is Bang Dari and I'm a 3rd year too."
"Oh really?" Junhong smiled, glad to have found someone in his age group. "I don't know that many people here, it's nice to meet you. What are you studying?"
"I'm a Biology Major with a concentration in Marine studies." 
"Woahhh really?" Junhong lit up immediately, all previous awkwardness gone. "That's so awesome! Right now I'm a Music major but I've always loved biology. I'm just not good at it. I'm not really good at sciences to be honest. The only thing I can really do is Chemistry." 
Dari gaped. "But how?? How do you live? I honestly don't understand a thing that's going on in my class." 
"Chemistry isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. I have a few tricks that might be able to help you! But I don't know if I have time to, I'm kind of more or less failing Multivariable Calculus right now." He laughed, embarrassed. 
"Well," she couldn't believe that she was actually saying this to him - "If you tutor me in Chem I'll tutor you in Calc. Does that sound like a deal?"
He flushed a slight pink but nodded enthusiastically. "Deal!"
The two continued speak about their many struggles, and from a distance, Miyoung and Yongguk were watching their every move.
"They look so cute," Miyoung cooed.
Yongguk nodded as Miyoung placed her head on his shoulder. "He looks pretty chill. He can hang out with us and B.A.P anytime."
Miyoung continued to watch her best friend interact with the boy, but asked in the most nonchalant voice, "What the is B.A.P?"
"It's me and the boys sweetie." 
"You're lame." 
Yongguk rolled his eyes but said nothing. 
Soon enough Dari and Junhong walked over, causing the couple to break their comfortable position. "Guys, this is Junhong. Junhong this is my best friend Miyoung and her boyfriend Yongguk. He's also my stupid twin brother. Junhong is in his third year like us and he's a music major. BUT he's good at Chemistry so we came to an agreement. I tutor him he tutors me!"
Yongguk and Miyoung stood up to shake Junhong's hand. "Nice to meet you Junhong," she smiled sweetly.
Yongguk shook his hand next, flashing his famous gummy smile. "You wanna sit with us at lunch? We need more people since Jae and Umma ditched us."
Junhong smiled, no longer awkward and shy. "Sure!"
The two continued to talk about music, leaving the girls off to the side.
"What class are you in? I was going to take Professor Kim for Introduction to R&B but her class closed before..." 
Miyoung whispered in her best friend's ear, tugging on her arm. "You think he's cute don't you?"
"Shut up Miyoung."
Miyoung grinned, "I have a good feeling about this."
Dari blushed and looked towards Junhong who looked back at her with a cute smile. The two blushed.
Hopefully Miyoung was right. 
 duixing: because i promised @lovedonghae i would if she finished her essay (cr. to  umma for  coming up with such a brilliant motivation tactic)