iv.

It's All Luck

 

      You woke up to the familiar scent of the pure soapy scent of men on the soft and warm bed. Ahead of you was the closet, hanged outside was the perfect outfit that changed you for a night. Last night. Yes, it wasn't a dream. 

 


 

    "Will you dance with me, Kim DaHee-shi?" the hand of a young man asked for yours. The charming voice of a maturing asked for a dance. Oh how you can feel your heart flutter. The butterflies in your stomach making you excited. It felt like a Disney story. Like the prince finally came to save his princess.

 

    It felt warm. His hands. How rare, for such a cold man to have such warm and welcoming hands. Maybe it is the saying, 'with a sharp mouth but a heart soft as tofu', he must have a soft and warm heart, you thought. 

 

    "Thank you for bringing me back last night," you murmured, just when he lights dimmed and the song changed, making your voice audible.

 

    "Mm." He sounded and cleared his throat. 

 

 

    "Why do you work so hard? What motivates you doing everything for your family?"

 

    "I only have one family member left. So I treasure him more than my life." you remembered your brother. "I would do everything to its extent, because, I believe that hard work is another word for a miracle. One day I will receive the miracle because of my hard work." You swayed while his hand led you through.

 

    "Even if God would provide? Even if you ask Him for help?Even if He would do the miracle to show you that you don't have to work so hard?" 

 

    "He provides, but nothing is free. Nothing comes just like that." 

    "Only this time." You added. "He provided, and He gave me this miracle today. But I know I'll have to work harder in the future, so I am accepting this gift tonight because I know He sees my hard work."

 

    "What is your wish tonight?" He asked.

 

    "That I won't forget this moment."

 

    "How about you?"

 

    He slowed down the dance and you could hear a short huff, "That I can make a person happy," he said.

 

 

    The dance felt long, the night felt real, the hand felt warm, the voice, you remembered.

 

    "Merry Christmas." he whispered in your ear as he twirled you for the end of the song.

 

    "Merry Christmas, Oh SeHun."

 

<:>

 

    You made yourself hot citron tea and started preparing to make breakfast. 

    You thought, it's better not to rely on them. It's better not to throw your heart out and let them be nice to you. It's all to scary for you, to accept people again, then to have your heart scattered again.

 

    "Good mornin'"

 

    "Good morning Kris, breakfast is just about done." You said as he walked out the washroom fully washed and prepared.

 

    "I'll go and wake up the kids." He answered back and walked to each rooms.

 

    <:>

 

    "DaHee, we will be very busy today. Sorry, for leaving you home. Some of us will be going to a radio announce studio first, but some will be here in the morning, they are still sleeping in." D.O patted you.

 

    You shaked your head. "It's fine, I'm going out too."

 

    "Okay, we'll be heading out now." some waved to you as you they head out with the manager.

 

    You walked to your room and pulled out the 12 scarves you made. "I hope this is enough."

 

    You walked to each room and left the scarves beside each of their beds, some were still asleep. 

 

    "DaHee.. " SeHun turned to you.

 

    "Hmm?" You turned to face him.

 

    "Nothing." 

 

    You headed out.

 

<:>

 

    Today you had to try to find a job, a very temporary one. Then to visit your relatives. Then maybe find Myomi, then to find Hyunwoo, he might be able help you.

 

    You found several low jobs. Washing dishes during and after lunches. Making stuffed toys, the one you are confident in. Sending things at certain times. And cleaning in the mall at night. That should be enough for the plane ticket back. I need to go back as soon as possible, you thought. 

 

    "Aunt, it's me DaHee!" you said outside the house. 

 

    "Why are you here? Leave, your uncle doesn't want to see you."

 

    "Aunt, this fruit is for you. I came back for now, I'm not here to bother you."

 

    "Doesn't matter! Leave. We don't want you here." she pushed you out the door and closing it.

 

    "Aunt! Aunt!!" you called to her. You knew it was no use. The last time you pleaded and pleaded for more money. It was a shameful act brought to them, and they didn't want to become the relatives that was known for not supporting their own niece. So they tried to cut ties with you. 

 

    You headed to your cousin's house. She married off in a well house, but she was always the realist. Caring if you didn't do harm to her, but if came for money she would turn and forget about you. That was what happened to you. You just wanted a visit, nothing about money, but for a person to care for you.

    

    It also didn't end well, just as you thought. It was a useless move, to go visit and greet them. Useless. You were shoved out the door and scolded at.

 

        "Haven't you got a home? Haven't you got friends? Go and find a friend! Useless child." 

 

    "I am a useless child." You murmured.

 

    You headed to the meeting area with Myomi and Hyungwoo. It was a luxurious place, some cafe near Hyunwoo's agency.

 

    Maybe they are your only friends, you thought.

 

    "DaHee! Da-Hee yah!" You heard HyunWoo call to you. "Myomi isn't coming today, she said she had a important client going to their clinic, so she had to stay there." he informed you. "Let's get on my car, I'll bring you somewhere." He lowered his head and led you to the parking lot.

 

    "Why did you come back to Korea all of a sudden?" He asked.

    

    "I didn't want to.. I mean, I didn't.. Well, It's quite a long story. Aren't you filming this movie recently?" You asked while entering the car.

 

    "Mhm, which one are you talking about? Secretly and Greatly?"

 

    "Yeah, how is it?"

 

    "That was ages ago DaHee, please, can't you ever at least try to act like you care about me?"

 

    "I do, I am right now."

 

    "Well, geez, thanks." He is my friend after all. I do have one, you thought. 

 

 

    "Are you still okay?" he suddenly asked.

 

    "What do you mean?" 

 

    "The medicine. Do you still eat it?" 

 

    "Why do you care." Again, you felt like something from the past was brought up. 

 

    "I care, DaHee. Tell me, honestly."

 

    You hesitated. "I do, I still eat both of them, Hyunwoo."

 

<:>

 

    "Why?" 

 

    "Hmm?"

    

    "Why bring me here, Hyunwoo."

 

    "Just because."

 

    "Just because? " You looked at him. "Just because, Hyunwoo? I thought you knew. I thought you understand. I thought you knew how much I --"

 

    "Come back, DaHee."

 

    "What?"

 

    "Come back to Korea, live here again. I will take care of you, you have me."

 

    "You think it's easy for me? Huh Hyunwoo? You think it's easy for me to look at this house, to live in this house again? Without a family? Without my parent's, even without my brother?" You almost shouted at him.

 

    "DaHee, I told you, I'm here, I will stay with you. Can you please come back?" His concerned eyes beamed.

 

    "I don't want you to be working so hard there. I don't want to know that you're in pain, eating those medicine and not being able to sleep at night, but I'm not there to help you. Can you think about it, please?"

 

    "I don't want to fight with you, HyungWoo."

 

    You left, it was all too heavy for you right now. Your heart wasn't even ready but when you woke up you were already in Korea. But now Hyunwoo wanted you to come back and live here, the place filled with happy memories. The happiness you once had, you can't face it yourself. Just by looking at the house today, was all too much already.

 

    You slowly walked home and tears slowly filled your eyes. You tried hard to bite it in. No tears. You promised yourself long ago, never ever cry because it's too hard. 

 

    'I'm sorry, DaHee.'  You read the text from Hyunwoo.

 

    "What should I do now?" you asked to yourself. Snow fell in front of your eyes and your heart felt sour again.

 


 

"You can trust what your friend say, even when it hurts.

But your enemies want to hurt you, even when they act nice."

- Proverbs 27:6