Brief Encounter

Titans Part 2

Xiumin and Kris felt extremely awkward surrounded by the overly dressed people and expensive champagne glasses. They’d been greeted by many strangers and even gifted with presents. The two tried to express gratitude rather than confusion, which is what they really felt. Taeyeon handled all the business talk while they followed her lead. She instructed them to mingle among the crowd and perhaps through the display hall.

“Wow, these paintings are amazing," Xiumin exclaimed while observing the immense detail in each .

“But look at these prices; 800 million for just this one piece," Kris frowned.

“That’s Won, the Korean currency," Xiumin laughed. “In US dollars that’d be… eight hundred thousand dollars."

“But still, that’s ridiculously expensive for just a painting of the ocean."

The two continued looking at the paintings and enjoyed small appetizers that were set up on a table because apparently, fancy people don’t eat full meals at parties. Xiumin took his phone out from his suit pocket and skimmed through the contacts looking for a familiar name. Kris turned to look over at the other when he heard the older squeak and call a number.

“Who is it?” He whispered when he heard the ringing tone.

“I think it's Chen because I saw his real name as one of my contacts. I may be wrong, but it’s worth a try, right? Oh, he picked up." Xiumin and Kris ushered outside the noisy party onto the empty balcony.

“Hello?” a familiar voice answered.

“C-Chen?” Xiumin asked.

“XIUMIN!” He heard the voice chirp.

“Is it Chen?” Kris butted in.

“Yeah, is Kris with you, too? Where are you guys?” Chen asked on speaker phone.

“Mmhm. I don’t know, we’re at some art exhibition. We don’t know what’s going on, but we want to try and find the others. Have you seen the tattoo mark on the back of your hand? Where are you right now?” Xiumin exhaled.

“I’m uh… at the police station… it seems like I’m a cop."

“We should go meet up with him." Xiumin looked up at the younger with puppy dog eyes.

“But-but Taeyeon told us we had to stay here. What if we get in trouble?” Kris shifted his gaze.

“Fine, you stay here and I’ll go look for Chen, is that okay? And if that girl asks, say I went to the bathroom and call me to come back, okay?”

“Alright." Kris didn’t even finish speaking before the older dashed off, surely ecstatic to meet up with his beloved. Which Kris could understand because if he could meet up with Tao, he’d jump off a building in a heartbeat.

The sky was painted a rich, navy blue and dabbed with white shining stars. The balcony over looked a privately owned boat port, which people were partying on their yachts. He’d never been exposed to such a display of wealth even though he knew his parents had plenty of their money saved in the bank. Most people would enjoy waking up one day and being able to revel in riches, but Kris was disturbed by it. People like this were only greedy and selfish, trying to show off what they have to fill their emptiness. Take away the money and power, then what is left of that person? Nothing; just a lonely excuse for a human being.

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt a tug on the hem of his suit jacket. Kris glanced behind himself with disinterest.

“Um, excuse me, sir. Someone asked if I’d hand this to you," a young woman handed him a folded piece of paper:

Kris,

I’m sorry I can’t meet with you right now, I promise I will later.

But I have a few answers for questions you might have:

  • This is the life you would’ve had if you were never a Titan
  • If all of us aren’t gathered by the next lunar eclipse we will forget our memories from the previous time line
  • The next lunar eclipse was twelve days when we arrived. We only have ten days left, hence the reason two slices of the tattoo on your hand have disappeared.

We’re all in Korea right now, so it should make it easier to find everyone. Try and find as many people as you can and bring them to Namsam Tower six days from now. Again, I’m really sorry I can’t be with you right now. But we will meet again; I’m making sure of it.

I love you, Benben~

Huang Zitao

Kris read the note twice to make sure he remembered every detail. Although he was relieved to hear from Tao, he noticed how rushed and sloppy the handwriting was. Usually Tao had beautiful handwriting, so it worried him that this note had been written in such a rush. Was Tao in danger?

The vibration in his pocket dismissed the thought.

“Hello?”

“Kris, it's Xiumin. I was able to find Chen. We asked a few locals about the trains to Busan but they said it was too far to travel tonight. Chen and I are heading back to where you are now, but it looks like we’ll have to stay there until tomorrow. We can go try and find the others tomorrow."

“We only have ten days," Kris blurted out, realizing afterward that that made no sense out of context

“What?”

“I just got a note from Tao. We have ten days until we forget our memories from the past timeline. The life we’re living right now is the one we would’ve had had we not become Titans," Kris explained.

“Oh?” Xiumin’s voice became very quiet.

“Hey, don’t be so upset. We’ll find them, don’t worry. As long as we search hard the next couple of days, we should find them," Chen brought positivity.

“Yeah; according to Tao, we’re all in Korea right now. I’ll tell you guys the rest of the details when you get back." Kris glanced over his shoulder to see his “wife” with her hands on her hips. “I gotta go. He hung up.

“Who was that?” Taeyeon shifted her weight onto one leg.

“Xiumin."

“Mr. Minseok? You let him leave?!” Her face started burning up.

“No, he just had to… retrieve someone. He’s on his way back right now. Anyway, where are we staying tonight?” Kris asked.

“I mean, we were supposed to share a hotel room but that might be a little awkward since you’re… not Krissie.” She looked down

“I’m sorry," Kris sighed. "I’m not your Kris, I’m someone else’s."

“But where did mine go?” She started to tear up.

“I don’t know, but he’ll be back in ten days” I hope I’m able to leave before that, though.

She nodded before explaining that Kris was supposed to head inside and start auctioning paintings, but told him that she’d handle it for now. Taeyeon seemed upset but hid it behind a smile. She told him to worry about his business for now, but she’d need him to come back tomorrow for a television interview.

When she left, he continued observing the view off the balcony. Suddenly a pair of hands grabbed onto the edge and Kris stumbled backwards. A lean figure crawled over the side and planted onto the ground in front of him. When his eyes met the stranger’s, Kris gasped.

The figure quickly ran over to him and covered his mouth before Kris got the chance to even exhale. He was injured and panting and begging Kris not to speak loudly.

 “I thought you said we weren’t going to meet until later." Kris  hugged the man that crouched between his legs.

“I had to see you." Tao held the older’s arms close to him.

“You’re hurt though, what’s going on?” Kris whispered.

 “I’m fine, don’t worry,” he smiled.

“No, not fine. How the hell did this to you?” Kris clenched his fists.

“Please don’t worry, Kris. Seriously, I’ll be fine. I have to go again, though." He looked into the other’s eyes.

“But, you literally just got here!” Kris complained.

“Shhhh, I know.” Tao returned to embracing the other, “I thought I’d stop by to tell you I was alive and well."

“But, you’re not well; you’re hurt." Kris prevented the younger from standing up.

“I’m fine; they’re just scratches," Tao convinced the other to let him stand.

“But I don’t want you to go, why do you have to leave?”

“Not now, Kris. I’ll explain later." Tao silenced the other with a kiss before he had the chance to ask any more questions. Tao pulled back and walked towards the balcony ledge. He climbed on top of the railing.

“Wait, that’s dangerous!” Kris ran over.

“I love you, Kris." Tao jumped.

Kris ran over to the side, only to see Tao perched on the top of a boat that was speeding away.

“Hey Kris, we’re back," Xiumin and Chen said in unison.