3. Apologies

Love On Board

A/N:

Sorry if the first few chapters are a little boring but we gotta wait till Jiyong starts opening his heart, right? Now he's still cold cold cold!!

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

Jiyong's POV 

“Jiyong, the Chief wants to see you in the front cabin.” I turned around when I heard Seunghyun call my name.

Great, what does she want now.

I gave him a nod before making my way towards the front cabin, straightening my tie in the process.

“How can I help you, Chief?” I greeted her, putting more emphasis on the last word.

“Just what sort of behaviour were you trying to show? What kind of impression were you trying to give?!” She raised her voice, causing me to grit my teeth.

I obviously knew she was referring to the Dara incident but what was I supposed to do? 

“I did what any sane man would do, it was an act of justice.” I was tempted to roll my eyes but I decided to just give her full eye contact.

“So cursing and attacking a passenger is what a sane man should do?!”

“Didn’t you see what the hell that man was doing?!” I felt my chest heaving with anger.

“As a flight attendant, you have to handle things more professionally-”

“Fire me all you want then, I DON’T CARE!”

“KWON JI YONG!” I didn’t let her finish and began to walk out of the cabin in a fast pace.

Seriously, I don’t need such nonsense or reprimanding in my life. Sure, I could’ve calmed down on those vulgarities but I had to act on my feet at that point of time so who would bother thinking through the consequences first? I didn’t even know why I stepped forward to help her. 

It’s her fault I’ve gotten myself into this. Wow, I even comforted her? I really am too nice for my own good aren’t I. Nah, it’s probably those tears for sure. A girl’s tears can grant her any wish. Damn, this is so unlike me.

I glanced at my watch: 10.27pm, thankfully it’s almost break time soon, I could really use a nice nap now. 

As I was having my inner monologue, I caught a glimpse of a familiar face in the corner of my eye.
I turned to my left and saw Dara looking at me. She had this guilty look on her face, as if she were caught in the act of something. I walked towards her out of curiousity. 

“Did.. you get scolded cause of me?” She looked to her toes while asking. So I guess she was eavesdropping, such etiquette.

“It’s fine. Not a big deal.” I said nonchalantly. 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t expect this to happen.” 

“I said it’s alright, didn’t I?” I was honestly starting to feel a little annoyed. What’s the point of apologising anyway? It doesn’t change anything. 

“I feel really bad about this.. I’m so sorry for all the trouble, Jiyong…” She looked as if she was about to cry.

“Just head back to your cabin, Dara.” 

“I’m sorry, I really mean it-”

“Apologies don’t mean to me, ALRIGHT?! If you’re really so sincere about it, then don’t cause such trouble in the first place!!” Even I was shocked at my sudden outburst, but I guess I was just so irritated by how she was mentioning this incident. 

Watching how she took a step back in shock made me regret my words, just a little. Oh no, her eyes are getting watery. All I could do now was glance anywhere but there. What’s up with girls crying 24/7? Definitely not falling for that.

“You.. you think I wanted such a thing to happen?” 

“It crossed my mind, honestly.”

“W-What? Why were so nice to me but like this all of sudden?” She said it with a crack in her voice.

“Because I just remembered your true colours, any girl’s true colours.”

She frowned at my words, probably not understanding what I was saying or just feigning ignorance. 

“If you didn’t wish for such a thing, maybe you shouldn’t have accepted this.” I gripped onto her wrist and raised it to show the shiny swavorski bracelet. 

She let out a gasp, proves to show how I was right.

“So after a day of interaction, that’s how cheap I look to you?” She scoffed but I simply paid no attention. 

“Since you’re such a know it all, maybe you should’ve gave more notice when that man threatened to report me if I didn’t accept his gift.” 

She yanked her wrist back forcefully before continuing, “Sorry I needed this job so badly, sorry I tried my best to keep it.” And with that, a tear escaped her eye before she walked away from me.

, now what did I just do? Turn the situation around, Jiyong!!!! BUT HOW?

I pulled her arm without thinking, “Dara-”

“LET GO OF ME.” She shook my hand off and continued walking.

I was too quick to judge. This is a very very very bad misunderstanding. 

 

 

__________________________❤︎__________________________

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

“Hyung, are you listening? YAH, Jiyong hyung!!” I felt a nudge on my arm.

“Huh? What?” I blinked at the maknae beside me. 

“You mean you haven’t been listening to me?!” Seungri gave a scowl. 

“Yeah, kind of.” I continued looking out the window. 

“I hate repeating myself!!! What’s distracting you so much anyway?!”

“Seungri-ah, can I ask you something?” I didn’t bother replying his question. 

“Yeah what?”

“How do you clear a misunderstanding without apologising?” 

“Is the misunderstanding with a guy or a girl?” He asked curiously.

I didn’t feel like answering for a sudden. Seeing that I didn’t give an immediate reply, the maknae decided to answer it for himself. 

“Of course, it’s a girl.” He wriggled his brows. 

“You can’t solve a problem with a girl if you don’t apologise hyung!! The rule of thumb is to apologise even if its not your fault!!” 

What kind of logic is that? Can’t believe I’m asking for advice from someone younger than me. I stood up and started making my way out of the lounge.

“Who is that girl hyung? Is she on board?! YAH! Hyung!” I ignored him and finally exited.

I probably spent a good hour in the lounge contemplating what I should do. It’s a good thing the lounge is furnished with a sofa and a window, perfect as a thinking area.

Wait, back to topic. So, I should apologise, right? That’s if I still want her as a friend.

But wait, do I really…. I mean, we just met! It doesn’t matter if we don’t talk and I’ll be able to withstand some awkwardness for the remaining hours. Then again, no. It’s not even about whether we’re friends or not. If there’s a misunderstanding, I should clear it up. It’s about my conscience once again. 

Speaking of conscience, I haven’t even apologised to her about the food! 

Ugh, I can’t believe I’m doing this.

I made my way towards the main deck where the girls are, hoping to find her there.

Time check: 11.46pm, the cabin lights were all switched off and most of the passengers are asleep by now. Better be careful and quiet with my steps otherwise I’d hear another earful from Chief.

I saw Bom and Chaerin at the kitchen area, making a cups of coffee, probably for themselves. I could use one too, if I wanted to pull an all-nighter.

“Hey, have you guys seen Dara?” I asked.

“Yeah, she’s been resting in the bunk for the past hour. We’re taking turns for our break. She’s probably still taking a nap now. Why are you looking for her anyway, you need any help?” Bom glanced up from her coffee.

“Uh, no. Just asking. Thanks.” I made my way out of the kitchen before they could ask me anymore questions. 

I took the stairs down to the lower deck where our bunks are. There are 5 rooms in here, with 2 double decker beds in each room. I didn’t notice it earlier but it was actually quite spacious for 4 persons in a room. 

I saw the door of the second room closed and assumed Dara could be inside. I gently opened the door and well, there she is. I walked towards her and took a good look. She was sleeping really peacefully with stable heaving from her chest. Her eyes were closed but I can’t help but notice some tear stains on her cheeks. It was as if she was still crying not too long ago. And, it probably was my fault… 

Not having the heart to wake her, I sat onto her bed gently and just continued to look at her, hoping she’d wake up soon. Guilt washes over me as I replay the scene in my head. How could I have given her such a horrible insult? Why was I so childish and prejudiced against her? It’s a wonder why I’d make such assumptions on a girl with such an innocent face like hers. I buried my face in my palm and sighed. What a huge mistake. 

 

 

__________________________❤︎__________________________

 

 

Writer’s POV

Jiyong has been so consumed by his own thoughts that he didn’t even realise he’s been staying by Dara’s side for the past hour. All he has been doing was rehearsing the things he’s gonna say and figuring out her possible reactions. He was anticipating a slap or maybe she’d just walk off and ignore him. As minutes past, he feels guiltier and guiltier. 

“Jiyong?” He turned around when he heard a familiar voice.

“Supper time, we saved food for you.” Youngbae walked in and handed Jiyong a packet of international food. 

“Thanks.” Jiyong said with appreciation for his gesture. 

And as if on cue, Jiyong’s tummy started grumbling. He was about to eat it when he suddenly remembered how he ate Dara’s food earlier on in the evening.

“Oh, off, conscience.” He told himself. 

He’s decided to save the food for Dara and only eat whatever’s left after he gives her a satisfied apology.

He placed the food on the floor and continued to stare at Dara, his palms resting at the side of both his cheeks. He looked at her for another good 15 mins before she started stirring in her sleep. When he realised she was about to wake up, he immediately sat up and pretended to look normal. 

Dara squinted her eyes open but jumped when he saw Jiyong in front of her. 

She wanted to know the reason why he was here but decided otherwise. She stood up and quickly and was about to walk out of the room when Jiyong stopped her.

“Hey.” He held onto her arm.

“What do you want?” She pulled away. 

“Could you sit down for just a minute?” He asked softly.

When she ignored him, Jiyong tugged on her arm and sat her down on the bed, much to Dara’s protest. 

“Look, I’m sorry for insulting you like that and being such a jerk. It’s just that I’ve had bad experiences with women and I kinda stereotype the way they are.” 

Dara didn’t give a reply and just continued to not give him eye contact. 

“So… Forgive me?” Jiyong asked in a kid-like voice. 

Dara continued to give a cold front, causing Jiyong to scratch his head, not knowing what to do next. 

Just then, he looked to the ground and saw the packet of food. He picked it up and held it in front of Dara. 

“Oh, and this is for you. I d-didn’t know you’re allergic to seafood. S-sorry.” He felt like an idiot when he struggled with such simple words.

Dara, however, still showed no reaction, causing Jiyong to sigh in defeat. 

“Don’t ignore me, please? I’m really sorry.” 

“I’m not hungry, go away.” Dara said before turning her head towards the other direction. 

Jiyong was about to leave the room when he suddenly heard noises from her stomach. 

He turned around and Dara’s hands immediately went to her stomach, as if trying to cover it up.

“You liar!” He went up to her and poked her side, causing her to jump.

“Yah! Stop it!” 

“Are you hungry or not?” He asked again while Dara simply ignored.

“YAH! It tickles!” He poked her sides a few more times causing her to laugh and squirm away.

After a few more tickles, Dara finally surrendered “Fine.. hee hee.. Stop it!” 

Jiyong finally stopped and smiled at her “Can you forgive me and eat your food now?” 

Dara snatched the food packet away and stuck her tongue out.

She opened it and started munching away, leaving Jiyong with a very very hungry tummy. 

“So, why are you so against girls like me?” She asked while chewing a potato. 

“Haven’t you learned not to talk with your mouth full?” Jiyong said, causing Dara to pout.

“I don’t feel like sharing that. Maybe, next time. Besides, you’re not really like the girls I’ve met.” He replied apologetically. 

“Okay. Since we’re friends now, you can tell me anytime!” She beamed a cheerful smile.

“I don’t make friends with kids like you.” Jiyong rolled his eyes. 

“What do you mean kids like- YAH! Come back here!” 

And he ran off before Dara could continue to protest.