Chapter 9

Sleep Well, Dream Sweet

“Hey, hyung,” Daehyun greeted his room mate, who was currently sitting on the couch watching some war movie.

“Good morning Dae,” The elder peeled his eyes away from the movie, “it's nice to see you out of bed,”

“Yeah, yeah,” Daehyun waddled sleepily into the kitchen, running a hand over his face, “do we have any coffee?”

“No, we don't have much of anything right now,” Yongguk told him honestly, “I was just going to go through McDonald’s for breakfast,”

“Well, why don't we go and find a new cafe to hang out at?”

“Wow, out of bed and leaving the house in the same day?” Yongguk said in a mocking tone.

“Well, if you don't want to I can-”

“No, no I want to,” Yongguk interrupted quickly. The only cafe he knew of was the one he shared with Zelo, but he didn’t want to share that with anyone. Not even his best friend.

“Okay then,” Daehyun shrugged, “just let me go get dressed and we can leave,”

It didn't take long for Daehyun to change into a pair of plain black skinny jeans and a grey shirt with a colourful graphic design on it. The two of them headed out into the Seoul streets in search of a small cafe. It only took about fifteen minutes of walking before Daehyun found one and pointed it out to Yongguk.

“No!” He answered too quickly.

Daehyun frowned and asked “why not?”

“It, uh... It doesn’t look very nice,” he covered up weakly.

“Come on Yongguk, I know when you're lying,” Daehyun urged.

Yongguk sighed and gave in.

“Well, I kind of go there with someone else and I... It's special to us and I want to keep that place just between me and him,” Yongguk confessed with his eyes shut tight, waiting for the mockery to come. When it didn't, he opened his eyes to see a sly smirk on his best friend's face.

“Okay, Guk,” Daehyun nodded, “but as soon as we find a place you're telling me about this guy,”

Yongguk nodded his agreement and they continued to search. It was Yongguk who pointed out the next cafe. Daehyun didn’t really care where they went as long as there was cheesecake there. They both liked the look of it and decided to give it a go. Back in Busan, they always sat at a table in the back, so here, they decided on one of the outside tables.

Daehyun ordered a cappuccino and – as he happily discovered they had – a slice of cheesecake, while Yongguk got a blueberry muffin and a flat white.

“Now, Yongguk,” Daehyun said once he’d eaten a good half of his cake, “who is this boy you've been meeting with?”

Yongguk sighed and looked down at his half-eaten muffin.

“His name is Junhong. I first met him when I was in Seoul for my interview-”

“What?!” Daehyun exclaimed. “That long and you never told me? I'm your best friend!”

“I know, but you were always sleeping so...” Yongguk said softly.

Daehyun realised that he was right. He had been spending most of his time sleeping due to his secret crush. Daehyun wanted to tell Yongguk about his Jae, but he knew he'd sound crazy. It's not like he could just say “oh yeah hyung, the reason I've been sleeping so much is because I've fallen in love with a boy from my dreams.” That would go down well.

“Yeah, sorry hyung,” Daehyun muttered guiltily, “anyway, keep telling me about this guy,”

“Well, he's had a really hard life and he was living in the streets, so I bought him dinner one night. We have a lot in common, too. I've met up with him nearly every night since we moved here and, well... I really like him,” Yongguk confessed with a blush.

“Yongguk that's great!” Daehyun congratulated his hyung. Daehyun was happy that his friend had finally found someone that he saw himself with for longer than a night.

“Well, not really... There's a slight problem,”

“What is it?”

“He's seventeen,” Yongguk said quietly.

Daehyun's mouth dropped open in shock. Well that was... Unexpected. To say the least.

“Wow,” Daehyun muttered.

“Oh God, now you think I'm a e,” The musician dropped his head into his hands. “Aish, I'm crazy! I cant have these feelings for him! It's unnatural... It's disgusting... It's... It's-”

“No it's not, hyung,” Daehyun smiled, “You can't help who you fall for,”

Daehyun knew this better than anyone.

~~~~~~

“...And I mean it that he's so young, but Yongguk hyung really likes him. Yongguk hasn’t liked anyone for a really long time,” Daehyun finished recounting to Youngjae what his hyung told him. He felt like he shouldn't be telling anyone, but Youngjae wasn’t just anyone. He was Youngjae.

“I had a friend called 'Junhong' once,” Youngjae muttered to no one in particular. “Well, I think that if they like each other enough, age shouldn't matter,”

'God knows they are more unconventional couples,' Youngjae thought sadly as he looked at the boy laying on the bed beside him.

“I agree,” Daehyun smiled and s his arms around Youngjae's waist a little tighter.

Youngjae wished more than anything that he could see that smile in the real world, but he knew he couldn't. He was dead. He had to be. He wasn't sure why he showed up in Daehyun's dreams, but he knew that he was no longer a part of his world any more.

As much as Youngjae enjoyed Daehyun's company, he missed Junhong too. Every moment that Daehyun was gone and Youngjae was here alone, he understood what his dongsaeng was feeling every moment since Youngjae had done that to himself. He wanted more than anything to take back what he did, but he knew he couldn't.

“Hey,” Daehyun whispered bringing one hand up to cup Jae's face and wipe away the silent tears staining the younger's perfect face, “Youngjae, why are you crying?”

“Huh? Oh,” Youngjae laughed weakly, realising that he had been crying. He wiped the tears away hastily but they didn't seem to slow.

“Jae Jae, what's wrong?” Daehyun asked again, his voice full of worry.

“I just... I was thinking of you and Jun-Junhong and I... I just...” A sob broke through Youngjae's precious lips. “I regret it so much,”

Daehyun immediately knew what his Jae was talking about and sat up, pulling Youngjae into his chest as he sobbed. It hurt his heart to see his angel like this, but the least he could do was be there for Youngjae. He tightened his hold on the other as he couldn’t do anything other than listen to Jae's sobs that were muffled by Daehyun's chest. Neither boy knew how long they'd been sitting like that for but eventually Youngjae stopped crying and his breathing calmed.

Youngjae peeled himself away from Daehyun slightly but only enough to look at the other boy's face properly. Daehyun saw that Youngjae's eyes were still red and puffy, but at least he wasn’t crying any more.

“Sorry,” Youngjae whispered, his warm breath hitting Daehyun's face.

“It's alright,” Daehyun replied quietly, his eyes never leaving Youngjae's chocolate brown ones.

Daehyun was acutely aware of how close their faces were, barely inches between them. He was also aware of how adorable Youngjae looked, with his hair messed up, sticking out in all different directions and his eyes gazing intensely up into Daehyun's.

“Youngjae,” Daehyun mumbled nervously.

“Yeah, Dae?” Youngjae replied, ever breaking eye contact.

“Would it be okay if... If I kissed you?”

Youngjae felt butterflies erupt in his stomach and all he could do was nod.

Daehyun hesitantly cupped the Youngjae's face with one hand while the other made it's way to his hip before he lowered his face to meet Jae's. Daehyun's eyes scanned Youngjae's once more for any signs of hesitance or regret and when he saw none, he pressed his lips firmly to Youngjae's. Daehyun's heart beat faster as he moved his lips in sync with Youngjae's. Youngjae tasted sweet, like cotton candy, and it was a taste that Dae found himself becoming quickly addicted to.

They had to break away for air after some time, both panting heavily with flushed faces.

“Come on, Jae,” Daehyun led Youngjae to lay back on the bed beside him again “let's go to sleep,”

Youngjae nodded, curling into a ball in Daehyun's arms and letting the steady beat of the older boy's heart lull him to sleep.