Chapter 13

Sleep Well, Dream Sweet

And now, here it is! The moment you've all been waiting for...


Yongguk banged on the door of Daehyun's bedroom for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

“Come on, Daehyun,” he called out, “you have to leave your room at some point, this is getting ridiculous!”

“Go away,” came Daehyun's muffled reply.

“No,” Yongguk may be tired, but he was nothing if not determined. “You've been locked in there for three weeks. I’ve let you wallow in your sadness for that long – hell, I don't even know why you're wallowing – but ever since that damn dream you had, you've done nothing but mope!” Okay; he was nothing, if not determined and blunt. “I mean, seriously! When I said you were hiding a boyfriend under your bed, I was joking. Is that who this 'Jay' person is? I mean, you were his name pretty loudly so either, you've given up waiting, you need to get laid, or you've fallen in love with someone and just aren't telling me. Which one is it Dae? Talk to me,”

There was a long silence. Yongguk waited patiently behind the closed door, trying to catch his breath after his long monologue. And then there was a noise so small, Yongguk would've missed it if he wasn't listening so intently; Daehyun sobbed.

That was the last straw. Yongguk couldn't let his best friend be sad any longer. He was going to find out what was wrong, even if he killed both of them I the process.

“Okay, I'm coming in,” he said and didn’t bother waiting for a reply before he entered the room. The sight before him broke his heart more than anything.

Daehyun was curled up on his bed, his knees tucked tight into his chest as if he were an infant. His shoulders were shaking and his chest was heaving deeply from how hard he was crying. Broken sobs were leaving his lips – the same ones that were usually pulled into a bright smile. His eyes were squeezed shut tightly, almost as if he were trying to physically stop the tears from falling. And in his hands, clutched close to his chest like a safety blanket, was a sketch pad and a small bottle of pills.

“Dae,” Yongguk said with pity as he slowly made his way over to his friend's bed. He sat in front of Daehyun, placed an arm on his shoulder in an attempt at comfort, and pried away the pills to read the label. “Sleeping pills? Dae, why? These things are so bad for you,”

“I-I know, I pr-promised him I wouldn't u-use them a-again,”

“'Again'? Daehyun, you shouldn't need them in the first place and if you aren't still using them, then why are you holding them?”

“Because, I-I need t-to kn-know that I can st-still s-see him if I want-wanted to. I need to know h-he's n-not gone for-forever,”

“Who? See who? Who's not gone?”

“You'll think I’m crazy,” Daehyun sniffled now that his sobs had died down. He wiped the tears away from his eyes with his sleeves. “At first, even I thought I was crazy,”

“Tell me. I promise I will hold all judgement until the end,”

Daehyun nodded. Yongguk is his best friend and holding in all these feelings was driving Dae crazy.

“Well, remember that day at the cafe, and I told you I dreamt about a boy in a forest?” Yongguk nodded. “Well, I kept dreaming about him. It sounds weird, I know and it defies everything I know about dreams, but I did. It was always him, always the same forest, but it didn't feel like a dream. Like, if I didn't know I was dreaming; I would've thought it was all real. And he isn't just a random person I dream about either; I think he's a ghost or something. He told me about his life and he... he committed suicide. I’ve seen the scars and I know I sound like an insane person, but that isn't the weirdest thing. I’ve... I've fallen in love with him,” Yongguk gaped at Daehyun. “That's why I've been sleeping a lot and why I have the pills. I haven't seen him for three weeks (Daehyun blushed) and it's driving me crazy,”

“Dae...” Yongguk was at a loss for words. Out of everything Dae could've said, Yongguk would've never expected that. “Daehyun, do you realise what you're saying right now?”

Daehyun frowned. “Yes! Do you think I want to be in love with my imagination?!”

“No, no, I'm sorry,” the rapper muttered. “Look, why don't you came have lunch with me and Zelo? I’m meeting him in half an hour and I think it would be good for you to get out of the house and socialise with people,” Daehyun shot him an icy glare that made Yongguk recoil. “I didn't mean it like that, Dae, I swear. I believe you, okay, I do. I just think that you need something to take your mind off your dream guy,”

“I don't know, hyung,”

“Please? Junhong really wants to meet you and it would mean a lot to me if you met him. For the first time since Jieun, I'm really serious about someone, Dae,” Daehyun looked up from the bed and met his friend's sincere eyes. “I want my best friend to meet the boy I know I’ll marry some day,”

If Daehyun cared about anything at the moment, he would've scowled at the mention of Jieun's name. She was Yongguk's first love and she was who made him the playboy he's now known for being. Yongguk loved her so much, and everyone thought she was in love with him too. But as it turned out, Jieun was 'in love' with a lot of guys at the same time; or at least, in love with their bank accounts.

“Okay, hyung, I’ll come with you,” Daehyun decided, thinking he should do at least this for Yongguk.

Yongguk gave Dae the brightest gummy smile he'd ever seen. Daehyun had to admit that seeing his best friend so happy made him a little happier too.

• • • • • •

“Gukkie!” Daehyun heard someone say happily as they approached the cafe. Daehyun looked around for the person the voice belonged to, but saw no one he though yongguk would date. His eyes widened as Yongguk walked up to a tall boy with curly hair and pressed a firm kiss to his lips.

“Hey, baby,” Yongguk replied, nuzzling his nose into the taller boy's cheek, “I missed you,”

“You saw me yesterday morning,” Zelo replied, rolling his eyes despite the fuzzy feeling in his stomach.

“I know, but it's been too long since then,”

Daehyun cleared his throat awkwardly to remind Yongguk he was still there.

“Oh sorry,” he smiled sheepishly and turned to the boy that was still in his arms. “Junhong, this is Daehyun. Daehyun, this is my Junhongie,”

“Hey,” Junhong beamed and waved at Dae, “it's nice to finally meet you. Oh, and you can call me Zelo. Uh, I would bow, but...” he glanced down at the tight hold Yongguk had around his waist.

Daehyun nodded and smiled, getting over the initial shock of seeing Yongguk being so... cute.

“It's nice to meet the guy who tamed the beast,” Daehyun smirked.

“Hey!” Yongguk pouted, making Junhong kiss it away.

Daehyun rolled his eyes and wet inside to sit at a table.

He reached into his satchel and pulled out his sketch book and a pencil. He closed his eyes, seeing the image of Youngjae clear in his mind. He missed Jae so much. He had no idea how hard it would be to be away from him. There were times when he wanted to take the pills and see his baby – it's not like Youngjae would even know – but he didn't because he promised Youngjae he wouldn't.

He was nearly done with his newest picture of Youngjae when the sketchbook was torn violently from his hands.

“What the fu-” he looked up to see it was Zelo who had taken the book and was now staring at the picture, wide-eyed.

“What is this?!” he asked angrily, showing the picture back to Dae.

“It's a draw-”

“THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEAN!” he screamed, not caring that people were starting to stare. “Why are you drawing my hyung?! Are you one of the bullies? Is Yongguk in on it too? Were you just playing me so I could show you where Youngjae is and you can-”

“Youngjae?” Daehyun whispered.

“That's who you're drawing; isn't it?” Zelo said obviously, panting from shouting.

“Y-Yes, but how do you know Youngjae?”

Zelo stared at him like he had two heads. “Because he's my best friend. My umma,”

…“I had a friend named Junhong once”...

“Junhong,” Daehyun muttered, realisation dawning on him.

“Yes?”

“You're Junhong!” he repeated loudly, a smile making it's way onto his face.

“Wait, Dae... is Youngjae your dream guy?” Yongguk asked. He remembered Junhong told him that his best friend Youngjae tried to kill himself, and so had Dae's dream boy.

Daehyun nodded with wide, excited eyes.

“He's real! I knew it! I knew he was! He survived!” Daehyun gripped Zelo's shoulders and said; “Where is he? Is he okay?”

Zelo's face fell.

“What's going on?” Zelo frowned. He looked at Yongguk with watery eyes. “Is this some cruel prank?”

The elder immediately wrapped his arms around Junhong and kissed his cheek.

“No, not at all, baby. I wouldn't do that to you. I love you,” Yongguk whispered for only Junhong to hear. He pressed a barely-there kiss to Zelo's lips, letting their noses graze together as he moved his head away and looked back at Daehyun.

“Zelo, please, it's hard to explain and even harder to understand but I need to know where he is,” Dae pleaded.

“He's at the hospital. He's in a coma, Daehyun,” Zelo told him.

Daehyun's heart stopped, his mind empty and his body numb. Youngjae, his Youngjae, was in a coma. It took barely a second for Daehyun to grab his keys off the cafe table and storm out into the parking lot. He didn't care how rude he was being to Yongguk and Zelo; he just needed to see Youngjae.

Once he reached the hospital (speeding past three red lights to get there) he parked his car carelessly, taking up two parking spaces which he will probably get fined for, and ran up to the reception desk.

“What room is Yoo Youngjae in?” he asked shortly. The lady looked at him for a few seconds, processing his request, before typing the name into the computer before her.

“Room 213, ICU,” she replied after seconds that felt like years to Daehyun.

Not wasting any time, he to the Intensive Care Unit, searching desperately for room 213.

He found it and swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. He opened the door hesitantly and walked in.

There, in the hospital bed connected to wires and a machine (the only thing keeping him alive), was the one and only Yoo Youngjae. He had the same brown hair, the same cute cheeks, the same pale skin, and when Daehyun gathered the courage to look, the same vertical scars.

Feeling suddenly faint, he collapsed into the chair by Youngjae's bedside. Reaching out, he grabbed Youngjae's soft, and somehow still warm, hand. He laced their fingers together and smiled at how perfectly they still fit, like two pieces of a puzzle.

He leaned over and pressed small kisses to Youngjae's cheeks and forehead before placing one on his cute pink lips.

“Come on, Youngjae,” Daehyun whispered, hoping somewhere deep down Youngjae could hear him “it's your turn to wake up,”


Dah dah daahh~ They've (sort of) met! What will happen now?