Chapter 8

Sleep Well, Dream Sweet

For Daehyun and Youngjae, the four days that followed were just as beautiful as the day of the picnic. Daehyun had been sleeping more than ever, but he didn't see it as a problem. So what if he hadn't found a job yet or blew off a few online classes or nearly fell asleep during the ones he did attend? Daehyun didn’t care, his Jae was worth it. Then again, Daehyun thought anything was worth it for Youngjae.

“Daehyun?” Youngjae's velvety voice broke the silence. The elder smiled at the other boy who was currently laying beside him. They had been like this for the past few hours. At least, that's what it felt like to them. They were just laying there and basking in the warmth of the sun. Youngjae's hand was being held onto tightly by Daehyun, as if he were to disappear if Dae wasn’t holding his hand (not that Youngjae minded). Youngjae had his head resting on Daehyun's chest. He could hear Dae's heartbeat and how it sped up when Youngjae spoke (causing a blush to dust the younger boy's cheeks).

“Yeah, Jae?” Daehyun finally replied once his heartbeat returned to normal.

“Has that pathway always been there?” He questioned pointing to a small clearing in the forest, a small (cute) frown on his face as he focused on remembering whether or not it was always there.

Daehyun shrugged and then remembered that Youngjae couldn’t see it and said “I don’t know. The forest isn't exactly what I give my attention to when I’m here,” he blushed slightly, hoping Youngjae got the subliminal message.

He did.

“Do you wanna go check it out?” Daehyun continued.

“But... W-we don’t know what could be d-down th-there,”

“Aw, is my Jae Jae scared?” Daehyun chuckled softly and prayed that Youngjae didn't notice the use of the word my.

He did.

'He called me his Jae Jae! His! Oh my god, breath Youngjae,' Youngjae internally cheered.

“N-no, of course I'm not s-scared,” he lied lamely.

“It's okay Jae,” Daehyun gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, “I'll be right here to protect you, arasso?”

Youngjae decided that it would be totally okay if he was in danger, as long as Daehyun was there to be his shining prince. Youngjae nodded and sat up, Daehyun already missing the warmth of his angel. Daehyun stood up, then held out a hand to help up Youngjae.

The two walked silently hand in hand down the path. They were both always so wrapped up in each other that neither paid attention to how truly beautiful this place was. The trees were so tall and wide that they created a shading over the path. The sunlight streamed through the leaves, creating random strips of sunlight all around them. Butterflies and dragonflies buzzed around them. Flowers of all shapes, fragrances and colours surrounded them. The grass was unbelievably green. Everything about this place was beyond imaginable and Youngjae was happy that he get to share it with someone he was growing to lo – someone he cared deeply for.

“Wow,” he heard Daehyun whisper. When Youngjae looked up, he shared Daehyun's awe. They were at what seemed like a lake, except that the water was the perfect blue and crystal clear. The sunlight reflected off of it, making it look like it was made of the finest diamonds. There were a few big rocks near one corner and once again, perfectly green grass where the water met the shore.

“It's so pretty,” Youngjae said with a small smile.

“Come on Youngjae, lets go for a swim!” Daehyun exclaimed, starting to pull the younger towards the water.

Youngjae stayed where he was, his internal panic slightly showing.

“B-but we don't have a swimsuit,” he argued.

“So? We can just wear our underwear,” Daehyun's mouth watered at the metal image of his Youngjae in nothing but a pair of tight black boxer-briefs.

“Well, what if it rains?” He cringed. The weather has been perfect for five days straight, he highly doubted it was going to rain.

“It's like 50 degrees out here, Jae. Besides aren't you hot? You're always in those jeans and that grey sweater,” Daehyun countered, wanting to go swimming and desperate for an excuse to see more of Youngjae's creamy skin.

“But I-”

“Is it because you can't swim? Because I can teach-”

“Yah! Of course I can swim, pabo,” Youngjae rolled his eyes.

“Then why won't you swim with me?” Daehyun pouted cutely and Youngjae gave in with a large sigh.

“Because, my I don't want you to see my body,” Youngjae admitted in a shy, almost scared, voice. Daehyun's brows furrowed. Was Youngjae crazy? For the past week, all Daehyun has wanted was to see the younger boy's body. “You're body is perfect (Youngjae blushed when he said it and Daehyun had to stop himself from crying out in joy that the other liked his body) and you probably have abs and you're tanned but I'm not. I'm pale and chubby and...” Youngjae wanted to say 'and I have ugly scars on my arms from my suicide attempt,' but he stopped himself. “I don't want to... To put you off me. You look at me like I'm this beautiful person and I know it's selfish but I want you to keep looking at me that way,”

Silence that followed Youngjae's confession. It seemed like forever before Daehyun spoke.

“Youngjae, I do think you're a beautiful person, but not just for your looks. I look at you that way because apart from being insanely gorgeous, you're funny, and witty, and smart, and strong yet at the same time, so vulnerable and I always feel the need to protect you and... I like all of those things. I don't care if you're pale or if you think you're chubby, because, even from what little I've seen of it, I happen to love your body.”

Daehyun's heart had never beaten so fast, and his face never so red. Daehyun took three tentative steps to stand before the other. His shaky fingers gripped the hem of Youngjae's grey sweater as his eyes searched the other's for confirmation. When Youngjae didn't seem like he was about to pull away, Daehyun slowly lifted the stupid sweater off of Jae's torso.

'Oh, sweet lord,' Daehyun thought as he struggled to keep his thoughts completely unrelated to (although that was close to impossible with a topless Youngjae right before him).

Youngjae mistook Daehyun's staring and tried to cover up his chest and stomach with his arms. Daehyun immediately caught the wrists that were trying to block his view and moved them slowly. Feeling bold (and the slightest bit ) Daehyun leaned down to press a feather light kiss right above his bellybutton.

Youngjae giggled at the feeling. “What are you doing, Dae?”

“I'm showing you that you're beautiful,” Daehyun stated as if it were obvious and then continued to place a few more kisses on the younger.

Youngjae's skin was addicting and Daehyun wanted nothing more than to kiss it all day long and show Youngjae just how much he worshipped the ground he walked on, but at the risk of scaring off Youngjae forever, he didn't.

Daehyun stood up properly and smiled at the now beet-red boy. Daehyun ran his hands down Youngjae's bare arms to grip his hands, but frowned when he felt the impression of rough, vertical lines on Youngjae's wrists. Youngjae went to pull his arms away, but Daehyun's grip was too tight. Slowly, Daehyun turned the younger's hand palm-up. He was shocked when he saw fresh scars on his Jae's wrists. Why had his angel hurt himself?

“Y-Youngjae...” Daehyun muttered, more to himself, and looked down at the slightly shorter boy with wide, worried eyes. “Why did you... Did you try to,” Daehyun swallowed the lump in his throat, “did you try to kill yourself?” It came out in a whisper, even though it wasn't supposed to.

“I-I...I...” at a loss for words, Youngjae only grabbed his sweater back from Daehyun and put it back on. “Isn't it about time for you to wake up?” He asked hastily and stared down at the floor.

“Not yet,” Daehyun said firmly. He hooked a finger under Youngjae's chin and lifted his face until his eyes met Daehyun's, “Youngjae, talk to me. Tell me what made you do this,”

Youngjae heaved a sigh and sat on the grass. Daehyun followed his actions quickly, wrapping an arm cautiously around Youngjae's shoulders. Youngjae only leaned into the touch and rested his head against Dae's shoulder.

“It was only about a week before I met you. Well, I told you about my parents and how they hated me. Everything was just getting worse. The bullying at school and at home. My parents never had any money to pay the bills because they always blew it on alcohol, so I was forced to get a job just to keep the power and hot water on. I also had to look after my best friend, since his parents cared about him as much as mine cared about me. I had so much responsibility. I had to look out for myself and my friend and I just couldn't take it any more.” A tear escaped his eye, which Daehyun wiped away with his thumb. “It was so hard,” he sobbed out, “I had to be strong all the time. I had to out up with the bullying and the abuse because I'm meant to be the strong one but... It's so, so hard to be strong all the time. I couldn't do it any more,”

Daehyun pulled Youngjae into a tight hug as the younger sobbed into his chest.

“It'll be okay,” Daehyun whispered into his ear “I'm here for you Jae Jae. I won't let anything bad happen, alright?” He kissed Youngjae's cheek softly. “I'm here. I'll always be here,”

It was a promise Daehyun intended to keep at any cost.