chapter three.

Maybe It's Something More
after wandering around for a bit, watching as the sun slowly drifted away into sleep, leaving the moon shining brightly against the small suburban area, luhan realized he had no idea where he was going as he carried minseok around. the older was still fast asleep against his shoulder, making small mewling noises as he nuzzled his head against the nape of luhan's neck and shoulder. luhan ignored the small tickle he felt as minseok's hair brushed against his skin, ignoring the way his heart practically fluttered inside of him. he cleared his throat, continuing to walk around aimlessly when suddenly the sound of a cellphone rang loudly into the night air. luhan jumped, slightly confused as he realized it was coming from minseok's bag. he looked around the place, supermarkets and small shops lined down the street. he pouted, moving off to the side as he pulled one arm away from supporting minseok up by his legs, reaching inside minseok's bag to pull out his phone. 
 
"uh, hello?" 
 
--
 
luhan followed the direction he was given from the man on the other line of the phone, walking up to the gates of a mansion. he stared up at it in awe, eyes wide as he noticed a man in suit walking up to him from the other side of the gate. 
 
"ah, you must be luhan?" the man asked him, reaching inside his pocket for a moment. luhan nodded his head, hoisiting minseok further on his back, fear of him falling off.
 
"that's me." luhan managed to say. suddenly, the door gates slowly swung open, luhan quickly backing away so he wouldn't get hit.
 
"please, come in."
 
--
 
luhan gently placed minseok down onto the couch of the living room, brushing a small strand of his hair away from his eyes before getting up and heading over to the man.
 
"i'm joonmyeon." the man said, offering his hand out to shake, which luhan took. 
 
"ah, are you .. minseok's father?" luhan asked, quite unsure as joonmyeon led him over to the dining room table, taking a seat. luhan stood there for a moment, feeling as though he really shouldn't seat down until joonmyeon ushered for the boy to take a seat. luhan sat there, hands folded on his lap as he looked around the place. it was nice and cozy, and also really big. he never knew minseok lived somewhere here.
 
"father? do i look that old to you?" he laughed, shaking his head as he let a small smile grow on his lips. "i'm minseok's caretaker. i was getting concerned considering minseok isn't allowed to be out for so long."
 
luhan blinked a bit, tilting his head slightly. "caretaker? and what do you mean he isn't allowed to be out for so long?"
 
joonmyeon let out a sad laugh, shaking his head as he ran his hand through his hair slowly. "i see minseok hasn't told you much, huh? no surprise there. he's never been the one to open up so easily to people."
 
luhan pouted at this, feeling a small pang of jealous rock against his insides as he noticed how close minseok and joonmyeon must've been. "then, where is minseok's parents?"
 
joonmyeon hesitated for a moment, letting out a small sigh. "his parents? ah i think that's something minseok should tell you."
 
luhan shifted slightly. "does he have parents?" he asked softly, eyes shifting down to the mahagony table as he drummed his fingers against it. 
 
joonmyeon shook his head, a sad expression playing across his face. "his mother and father was coming home from a business trip for the holidays, but they never made it back home for christmas. ever since then i've been taking care of minseok as though he were my own brother."
 
luhan nodded his head slowly, feeling his heart grow heavy and cleared his throat, taking in deep breathes. "when did minseok find out about his parents?"
 
joonmyeon puffed his cheeks out slightly, shrugging his shoulders. "i wasn't there when it happened. i heard it was on christmas day, the day they were supposed to fly back home. from that day on minseok never celebrated christmas."
 
luhan frowned, shifting a bit uncomfortably. "and what's your relationship with minseok?"
 
"we're cousins. distant cousins, but i consider him like a brother." joonmyeon smiled softly, glancing over at the sleeping minseok curled against the couch. "it's going to be really lonely when he's gone." he muttered softly against his breathe, expression saddening as he looked away quickly.
 
"g-gone? what do you mean?" luhan questioned, eyebrows furrowing together as he looked to joonmyeon. 
 
joonmyeon bit his bottom lip nervously as he slowly rose from his chair, heading off towards the kitchen. "would you like some tea?"
 
"y-yah! you never answered my question!" luhan called out, quickly following after joonmyeon into the kitchen.
 
"and what was your question again?" joonmyeon asked, not once looking at luhan as he started to make the tea quietly.
 
"what do you mean by gone?" luhan asked, voice soft as he stood next to joonmyeon as he watched the tea kettle on the stove.
 
joonmyeon didn't answer for a moment, silence taking over the air as they both just stared at the tea kettle. the silence was broken when joonmyeon spoke up again, voice slightly strained. "you knowx minseok's been happier recently. he's been smiling more often and he seems more lively than before." there was a slight hint of bitterness in joonmyeon's voice, laced with a mix of sadness. "he never liked staying in here; it reminded him way too much of parents. often times i'd have to wake him up because he'd end up crying so much he starts to lose his breathe. it happens way too many times that i ended up having to sleep in the same bed with him." 
 
luhan stayed quiet, joonmyeon's words sinking in slowly. "it's recently that minseok's been more responsive to things. i thought maybe because i decided to let him go to school, being that he was home schooled ever since he was a child. but seeing you here, makes me think it's not just being able to go to school and getting to meet new people, but because he met one person. you." 
 
luhan blinked, lifting his head up to stare at joonmyeon, in slight disbelief. "me?"
 
joonmyeong shrugged, turning off the stove once the tea kettle started boiling, a loud whistle sound startling luhan. "minseok never learned how to make friends, and i catch him sometimes staring at his phone with a goofy smile. i always thought, "i guess he's watching something funny" but i'm guessing you have his number?"
 
luhan nodded, watching joonmyeon take out two tea bags and placing it in two cups, pouring the boiling hot water in. "i told him not to give his number to anyone."
 
luhan blinked, taken a back slightly. "why?" 
 
"because he shouldn't get attached to someone. leaving is always the hardest part." joonmyeon muttered bitterly, placing the kettle down and handing the cup to luhan. he took it in his hands, bringing the cup to his lips as he took a small sip.
 
"leaving? minseok's moving?" luhan questioned uncertainly. piecing together the puzzle pieces, he knew exactly what joonmyeon meant; he just didn't want to face the truth.
 
joonmyeon quirked an eyebrow at luhan. "you know what i mean."
 
luhan fidgeted slightly, staring down into the tea cup. "what exactly is wrong with minseok?"
 
 
 
 
 
 
--
a/n: hello guys! chapter three is up! i hope you guys are enjoying this storyline because i actually feel really really proud of what i've written so far. i hope you like it too! thank you for all the subscribers! i love you guys! comment, leave criticism or just say hi! c:
 
twitter: xiuminseokpls 
(lets talk uwu)