14

Counting Forward



14





"We'll be alright no matter what."



Yes, Jieun really wanted to believe it too.



"Hey, Song Jieun, isn't this your part?"



Jieun looked at her fellow worker, an around thirty-year-old married man whose looking larger and larger day by day holding out a dark blue document for her from above her computer. She didn't even have to open and read what it was since she already knew what kind of person he was.



"It's from your production team, not mine," she sighed, little did she know it would be useless to debate with him somehow.



"This is indeed from our production team but this will be released on your magazine too. Why do everyone acting like we are not a big family?" he faked a dramatic face, just to irritate those who saw it and gave up right away.



And Jieun wasn't a type that like to cut other person off either.



"Alright, I'll do that," she glared at him, feeling so much tired already.



As soon as he walked away, Jieun finally blew a heavy sigh to reduce her tiresome. She had been sitting for eight hours straight so she didn't think it was such a bad decision to accept those work too. At least, she could take some fresh air outside.



Feeling lifted up to imagine a refreshing time, she quickly packed every stuffs she needed for an interview inside her large handbag. A soft hum accompanied her way outside the office, before them slowly replaced by a wide smile right after she met with outside world.



She was wondering whether Junhong got this kind of freedom as well. Since high school, he wasn't a type that prefer to stay inside the class. He was a free person, who had such warmth alongside his steps and always consider problems as challenge instead. That's why, it still felt really weird for Jieun to see him working behind the desk and having short black hair even up until now.



After having this kind of thoughts, Jieun just realized how long they had been together, how many moments they shared together. It was a bit weird—since the thoughts of getting together with him was never came across her mind before, but she still felt thankful of everything. That's one of the reason why she tried to remove the memories one by one.



But fate didn't think so.



Out of hundred people at the station, between so many different faces she saw—she still could find him somehow.



She wanted to greet him, acting like there's nothing left between them but everytime she saw him, she turned into her old self—an eighteen-year-old girl that didn't know what to say and what to do. She lost all of her confidence that she built all this time, leaving nothing but her with memories alone.



No.



It would be much better if she didn't call him.



She believed that way.



It was when she decided to turn around and leave, their eyes met through the suffocating crowds around.



She felt like her times slowly stopped when he smiled and walked towards her, closer and closer. She wondered if it was a dream or not since seeing him became a miracle for her, without her knowing since when.



But it wasn't a dream. He was literally standing in front of her, with a smile drawn on his face—just like what he used to be.



"It's really you! I thought I saw it wrong," he exclaimed, looking happier than the last time she met him.



Yet Jieun suddenly lost her voice, didn't have any idea what to say.



"What are you doing here?" he casually asked, just like the way everyone accidentally met their old friends.



Something that Jieun didn't expect to see.



"Uh," she cleared once, sweeping every uncomfortable feelings away. "I have to go to Daegu."



He frowned. "Daegu?"



Jieun blinked, just realized he didn't know what her job was. "I got some interviews to do."



She could see his both eyes that were lightened up a little upon hearing her answer. Of course it must be beyond his expectation, in good or bad way.



"Are you reporter?" he wondered, amazed.



Cute. He was really cute.



But it hurted her so much as those feelings slowly crawling back, reminding her how much she missed him that even hearing his voice could make her tears rolling down out of her control. And how the pains inside her chest became more torturing as she forced herself not to cry—at least in front of him.



"It's cool. You must be doing well," he praised, generally.



"What are you doing here?" she asked, slowly.



For a short second, she saw him lost his smile before he put it on his face back. And she began wondering what's actually happened.



"I'm moving out," he replied.



"Move out?" she frowned, confused. "Where?"



He just smiled—a plain, colourless one. "It would be better if I don't tell you."



Ah—Jieun understood it.



They weren't high school students nor two teenagers that weren't able to truly confess their feelings anymore. Everything had already leave behind—and she didn't have any right to ask about his private life.



She understood.



"Isn't it your train?" he looked at the platform, right after the announcement came out through the speaker.



"Uh, yeah," she muttered, still feeling it was like a dream.



But she couldn't walk away.



She didn't want it to be over—even just one more minute, she wanted him to stay with her, just so she could finally accept everything. The truth that it might be their last meeting.



Just a little more.



"Jieun-ah," Yongguk called, pulling her back into present with a thin smile on his face. Yet Jieun couldn't see any happiness behind it. "Can I send you off?"









"...Choi Junhong!! Captain!!"



Junhong turned upon noticing those calling from his back. Even though he could recognize that voice somehow, he still wasn't able to believe it was really her despite he already saw her running towards him with his own both eyes.



"Jung Hana?" he asked in disbelief.



"What? Am I looking prettier?" she winked, flipping her light brown hair in high self-confidence.



Junhong chuckled. Little did he knew she got her face done.



"What are you doing here anyway? Are you with Jieun?" she looked around the cafetaria, searching for her long-lost bestfriend.



"No, I just finished a meeting," he smiled, feeling so happy as his name being connected to Jieun. "Let's have a coffee."



"But I was really surprised to know you and Jieun are dating," she said, soon after they got a table. "Since when, seriously?"



"Don't we look so good together?" he grinned, yet the latter just scoffed at his silliness. "It's around three years."



"So are you going to propose her? I saw her engagement ring before," she teased with a broad smile on.



And for that question, Junhong could only let out a set smile. "I haven't decide yet."



Feeling something wasn't right, Hana decided to ask. "Why?"



"I'm not sure yet," he leant against the chair, looking straight into his old friend's eyes. "It's already a miracle that we can get this far."



Hana chuckled, not really understand why did both of Junhong and Jieun looking so much faithless. "You don't believe her?"



"I do believe her," he quickly replied. "But I don't believe in fate."



"Why? Because of Yongguk? Come on, it's already past," she rolled her eyes, a bit vexed up.



"I don't think she considers him as the past," he remarked, slowly remembering what happened that day. "She never look at me that way."



"Why do you guys so clinged about it? Yongguk himself already got over her but here you are, wasting your times for your own unreasonable fearness," she blabbered, shaking her head in frustation.



Junhong looked at her, thought he was misheard something from her words. "What?"



"Don't you know about it?" she raised her eyebrows, looking a bit surprised. "Bang Yongguk has already married five years ago."









She wanted time to stop right now.



Jieun had already standing inside of the train, staring at Yongguk in front of the train door.



She didn't know what to say yet she didn't want to leave without any words either. The pains inside her chest telling her that she still had something to tell him—something that has been stayed there for all this time. And she had to tell him now.



She had to.



"Yongguk-ah, actually I'm—"



"I'm so happy to meet you again," he cut her words. "This is such a miracle."



Yes, yes—Jieun thought that way too.



Too happy that she could feel the tears waiting to fall down right behind her eyes.



"Me too," she muttered.



"I was worry at first but after seeing you are doing very well, I can finally feel relieved," he smiled, still fixing his eyes on hers. "Junhong is a good guy."



It hurted her so much to hear it. She used to feel proud everytime people told her that she had choose the right guy but now that she heard it from him—she couldn't help the aching that was slowly running through her body. She wondered why. She thought she could finally get over everything but it turned out different instead.



So much different.



"You told me to go where I have to go, right?" he still smiled as going on, "I've done it."



What?



What did he mean?



"So, now, you have to fulfil my wish too," he said.



Jieun looked at him, trying to remember what was his wish towards her.



"Be happy," he reminded her.



"I hope you can live on happiness."



No. She had to tell him now.



With the whistle sound flying around the platform on the air, with the thick grey clouds hanging above their heads, with the crowds surrounding them that slowly lost its noises, and with both of them left alone facing each other layered by pretending—she knew it was the time to tell him.



Before everything disappeared from her eyes again.



"Yongguk," she raised her voice, fighting against the loudness coming from around them, she finally said, "I love you."



He didn't look surprise.



His expression remained straight, like he could already expect it before.



But then, she watched him smiling at her.



The same smile that he gave on the graduation day.



The one that she couldn't forget all this time.



"Bye, Jieun."