Goodbye Forever?

A Single Sunflower in a Field of Daisies

The day has finally arrived. I am going to be heading home. I have spent 6 amazing and wonderful months here in Korea. I want to consider Korea like my second home now. I told James that I didn’t want a big going away party because I know how busy everyone will be. The truth is Chanyeol never realized that I was going to be going back to the states. I don’t think the idea of me going back to the states has even crossed his mind. Over the next month more so during the last couple of weeks I went around and said goodbye to the people I was going to miss. I said goodbye to the lovely older ladies from the cafeteria, Kyung Min, Hyun Ah, the trainees, Jinju, and even Greg. I was going to be saying my final goodbyes to James and Johnny at the airport. They are both going to be taking me there to say their final goodbyes.

Chanyeol has been busy with more promotions. EXO won a lot of awards at the end of the year award show. James even got an award for the song he did with Taeyeon. I was so proud of both of them. My 2 favorite people in Korea won awards in their respected fields. Chanyeol is also promoting a last minute Christmas song. He told me that he wants to sing it to me the next time we are available. Unfortunately the next time he is available is when I am in the states.

On my last night in Korea I decided that I couldn’t fully up and leave Chanyeol without saying anything. So I wrote him a letter.

Dear Chanyeol,

By the time you read this I will not be in Korea anymore. My internship will have come to an end and I will have to return to my home country of America. I don’t know if you knew this day was going to be coming, but at last it has arrived. I want to thank you for all you have done for me during my time here. You really have changed my mind about idols and I am forever grateful to you. During my lowest times here in Korea you were there to lift me up. You were there when I needed you and I was there for you. I hope in 2016 you do great things. I hope you take care of your health and that you do not fall ill. Make sure to listen to Suho seonbae and don’t do anything reckless. If you are upset talk about your feelings with someone. I won’t be around to stop you. Finally I hope you will be able to find someone that will be able to give you all of their heart. Someone who will be there no matter what and will challenge you to do better than your best. During this month I got to know you and your members very well. You have shown me true kindness and true love. I will miss you deeply and I hope you will succeed in everything you do. From the bottom of my heart I love you.

Eun Mi <3

I put the letter in an envelope and let out a deep sigh. I am going to miss everything about Korea. Even though most of the time I was just doing the same routine everyday it was still my routine. I got to see the people that mean the most to me and the ones that pushed me to do my best every day. I finished all the exams that I had to do for this semester. I am officially on Christmas break. As much as I am going to miss Korea I also miss my family. I am excited to see them and excited to see my friends back at home. Next semester is going to be so different. There will be no MT retreats, no late night studio session, no crazy fans, and no hiearchy. And when I walk around campus everyone will be living in their own simple bubbles and I will be walking with the experience I have under my belt.

After writing the letter I go out into the living room and sit next to James on the couch. “Finished packing?”

“Yep.”

“Are you happy to be going home?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you sad about leaving?”

“Yeah.”

James took a deep breathe. “Well it is definitely going to be boring here without you. Nothing ever really happened until you came here. I guess I will fall back into my old ways.”

“Yeah like getting your own food.”

“Well your good cooking made me think about trying to cook my own food and bringing it to work. Might save me some money.”

“What is this? Is James really growing up? I am so proud of you.”

“Don’t get use to it. You won’t be around to see it.” We watch the TV in silence for a moment.

“Oh by the way I have a letter on my desk that I want you to give to someone at SM when I leave.”

“Who?”

“The name is on the envelope.”

“It’s Chanyeol isn’t it? Why don’t you just tell him that you are leaving?”

“It is just easier this way. That way we don’t have to see each other upset.”

“You mean it is easier for you.”

“James please.”

“Fine. I will give it to him when you are gone.”

“Thank you.”

“You better go to bed soon. You will have to try and readjust to LA time.”

“Thanks.” I get up and head to bed. That night I dream about spending more time with Chanyeol. I hope he understands that I didn’t want to hurt him. I woke up on my own the next morning. I look around and see most of my things in boxes that will be sent to back to my house. I get up and get into my I’m going to be on an airplane for 12+ hours outfit. When I leave my room I see that breakfast is made.

“Last breakfast in Korea. I thought you would like to have some of my famous scramble egg omelet. With cheese, bacon and green onions.”

“I haven’t had this in a long time. Thank you so much for having me stay with you for 6 months.”

“No problem. It was nice having a roommate for a while. You are really an easy person to be a roommate with.”

“Thanks I guess.”

“Oh hey don’t forget to switch your sim card.”

“Oh right. That would be bad.” At the table I switch out my sim cards. No one is going to try and get ahold of me. We are in the middle of eating our breakfast when the door knocks. “That’s probably Johnny. I’ll let him in.” I get up and open the door. Johnny’s face is blocked by a very cute backpack.

“For you. I wanted to give you something since we won’t be able to celebrate our birthdays together.”

“Awww Johnny. I wish I had thought about that. I’ll get you something from the states and I will make sure to send it to James so it doesn’t get mixed up in your fan mail.”

“Sounds perfect. Can I come in it’s sort of cold outside.”

“Oh yeah of course sorry.” I step aside and let Johnny in. “Johnny’s here!” I walk with him into the kitchen.

“Welcome Johnny. We have plenty of breakfast here if you want to help yourself.”

“Thank you hyung. Don’t mind if I do.” Johnny takes the seat diagonal from mine and starts helping himself to some food.

“How are practices going?”

“Long. I can’t believe I am able to get away to bring you to the airport.”

“Well I had some influence in that.” Says James. “I told the head of trainees that I needed you today to help me with a task. I just didn’t tell him that task was to bring someone to the airport.”

“Thanks hyung.”

“But afterwards you will be going to SM to practice for the rest of the day.”

“Understandable.”

“When are you guys doing your presentation?”

“In about 1 month in January. We just got the name of the group yesterday. We are going to be called Neo Culture Technology.”

“I mean it could be worse.”

“Yeah it is kind of lame. The initials are NCT and the subunit name will be attached to the end of it. I hope I debut next year.”

“I think you will. I have faith.”

“Well if everyone is done eating we do need to go to the airport.”

“Wow you really want to kick me out.”

“I just don’t want your mom thinking I am kidnapping you.”

“I mean I wouldn’t mind if you kidnapped me.”

“Same.”

“Haha guys. But seriously you have school and you have work. Everyone has lives that they need to continue with.”

“Oh by the way is Chanyeol coming with us to the airport?”

“No I think he has some schedules today. So he won’t be able to make it.”

“That stinks. His loss I guess. Lets get going.” Everyone got up and I had so much stuff that I ended up buying another suitcase. I know it is going to cost more, but that little shopping spree from October really put me over in my amount of space I had in my suitcase. Johnny and James each took a suitcase while I had my backpack. The drive to the airport was very quiet. The only sound that was heard was the sound of the radio on. EXO’s song Sing For You came on and I had to make sure I wasn’t crying too much. Luckily before coming to Korea I mastered the art of silent crying.

We arrive at the airport and James properly parks in a spot. “Why are you parking?”

“I want to see you off properly. Did you expect me to just drop you off on a corner and just wave and drive off?”

“Okay I get it.” We get out and we walk up to where I have to check in my bags. After paying the extra bag fee I stand near the escalators that will bring me to the security check and then to my plane. This is where everyone says their goodbyes. “Well looks like this is it.”

“Guess so.” James comes over and hugs me. “Make sure you tell my mom that I love her and I will try and call more.”

“Will do.” We separate and I see Johnny has tears in his eyes. “Hey you can’t do that. Cause if you cry then I am going to cry and we will be big cry babies.” As I say that tears start filling my eyes and we hug each other and the tears start streaming.

“I am going to miss you so much.” Johnny took a shallow breathe in between every 2 words.

“I am going to miss you too. When I come back to visit we will have to meet up.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” I pull myself away from Johnny and we link our pinkies together.

“You don’t want to be late for your flight.” James coughs. “Get going before I decide to actually kidnap you.” I hug James one last time.

“Thanks big brother.”

“Do I get one more hug?” asks Johnny.

“Of course.” I hug Johnny one more time.

“Okay, but for real if you keep hugging you will miss your flight.”

“Bye guys. Keep in touch with me. I will let you know when I arrive back in the states safely.” I wave as I walk to the escalators. Once on there I turn around and continue to wave to them as I am ascended upwards. Once I reach the top that is when the tears start falling once more. When I go to go through security check one of the security guards hands me a tissue. I thank them and continue my way. I look around and I just think about how I was here 6 months ago and I was a different person. I was tired, I was naive, and I was fragile. I am leaving here stronger, more confident and wiser. I can never thank everyone enough for what they have done for me. What will the rest of my life be consistent of?