Now what?

A Single Sunflower in a Field of Daisies

I am arriving back to my second home. It took a few weeks to plan my return, but it feels nice. It feels like I never left. Everyone is traveling in the same blob. The airport is still super clean despite how many people travel through. I go through the same steps as I did a year ago. And yet again James is standing there with my bag.

“It’s lighter this time.”

“I’m not staying for 6 months.” James walks over and gives me a hug.

“Welcome back. I missed you.” I hug him back.

“I missed you too.” We part and we start walking over to the car. “How’s Johnny doing?”

“Good he is back in Korea for a while. He hopes to see you while you’re here.”

“Good. And umm how about Chanyeol?”

“He’s good too. I think EXO is in Japan right now. You might miss him.”

“Oh okay.” We get to his car and I slip into the passenger seat.

“Why the long face? Not thinking about him are you?”

“No! Of course not. Why should I care if I see him or not. If he was here I probably still wouldn’t see him.”

“True, since he doesn’t know you’re visiting he would have no idea.” James starts driving and puts on the radio. The first song on is “Monster” by EXO. I look at the stereo and James turns it off. “Sorry about that. The song has gotten really popular.”

“Why are you sorry? It’s not like you told the radio stations to play it.” I lean against the window and I get jerked forward.

“Brake Test.”

“James!”

“Well rested Eun Mi told me to keep her awake again.”

“Stupid well rested Eun Mi.”

“Well I have the rest of the day off. What do you want to do?”

“Awww you don’t want to see your little intern?”

“He is annoying and I can’t wait for his time to be over. Now tell me what you want to do before I turn around and put you back on a plane to California.”

“Well my meeting at JYP isn’t for another couple of hours. Can we get some coffee? I am going to need that to get through the day.”

“You got it. One ice coffee coming right up. Oh and open the glove box by the way.” I raise an eyebrow and open it. There is a black box in there. “It’s a wifi hotspot. Since you’re not here long there’s no sense in renewing your sim card. So I’m loaning you my hotspot box.”

“Thanks James. This is going to be really handy.” We get to the familiar parking garage. We get out and make our way to the coffee shop I was at just a year ago. A lot has changed since then. I am not the same person. When we enter I look around and see that it is all the same. Everything remains the same, but I am not. Which makes me think is anyone really the same? A year has come and gone and I look at the barista and I think has she changed in over a year too? Has this place stayed the same? Has the paint changed? Has the manager change? I snap out of my train of thought when James nudges me.

“Come on space cadet let’s get a seat.” I follow him outside and we sit at the same table as last time. “What were you thinking about?”

“Just the fact that in the course of a year my life has never been the same. I am not the same person that I was when I sat here 1 year ago.”

“Is this your tiredness talking or your philosophy class talking?”

“A little of both I guess. I don’t understand why you diss on philosophy.”

“Because it is a class you can make up stuff and it is deemed true. And if you start believing in it you will spiral down an endless hole of trying to find self worth and never feeling satisfied.”

“Wow! And aren’t you a ray of sunshine and rainbows.”

“It’s called being realistic.” The barista comes out with our drinks and we stand and start walking around.

“So what’s new with you? Any disasters at SM that need covering up?”

“Not since the Kaistal scandal broke, but I’ve been busy writing some songs. I’m even collaborating with Lay for his solo album.”

“He’s having a solo?”

“Uh huh. He even asked me to teach him English. He wants his songs translated to a lot of different languages. But he doesn’t want to hire anyone to do it for him. He can be stubborn that way.”

“That also shows his dedication to his international fans. Still it doesn’t hurt to ask for help once in awhile.” I sip on my coffee and James’ phone starts ringing.

“Let me see who it is,” He pauses. “It’s Jihyun.” He answers the phone. “Hey hyung what’s going on?” He glances at me. “Yes I’m with Eun Mi. Why do you need her?” He pauses for another moment and his eyes grow wide. “Alright we are close enough so we can just walk over there. See you soon.” James hangs up and puts away his phone. “Jihyun said that they want you to go in earlier so they can give you a tour of the company. You’re really getting the VIP treatment from them.”

“Wait so I have to go now?”

“No in like an hour. Of course right now. But don’t worry we are only 2 blocks away from the JYP office so it’s all good.”

“I’m getting a little nervous all of a sudden.”

“Hey just go in there and be yourself. If they don’t like it they can go themselves.”

“Such a poet.”

“Shut up and let’s get going.” I follow James through an alleyway. “This is a shortcut.” Unlike other alleyways this was also clean. In a few minutes we were outside of the JYP office. Tons of fans were there holding GOT7 and Twice signs. Those groups have been doing really well. “Come on he said he would meet us in the lobby.” Once we got around the fans we walked in and there was Jihyun. A much more sober Jihyun than the one I saw back in October.

“Eun Mi! James! Welcome to casa de JYP.”

“It is nice to see you again Jihyun seonbae.”

“Ready for your tour? Unfortunately you’re not allowed to come James. I was only able to get 1 visitors pass.”

“No worries. I have some errands to run. Eun Mi use that hotspot to let me know when you are ready to get picked up.”

“Alright. See you later.” I wave to him and I turn around and I am alone with Jihyun,

“Are you ready?”

“As ready as I will be.”

“That’s the attitude. Okay so this is obviously the front entrance. Similar to SM everyone needs a badge to get through the turnstiles. The security guard will let you through this time.” Jihyun uses his card and goes through. The late-20s security guard comes over and lets me go through. I hurriedly go through and bow to the security guard. “So this place does not have a basement. So this is truly the first floor. This is where all the recording studios are.” We walk down the hallway and we see a couple of lights on. “Just like at SM we are always busy making new songs and working on albums.” One of the lights turns off. “Let’s go see who was recording?”

“I don’t want to bother them.”

“It’s okay the light is off. Come on.” We walk over to the door and Jihyun knocks on the door.

“Come in.”

Jihyun walks in and I can’t see who is on the other side at first. “Oh JYP hyung.” Jihyun starts bowing and I follow suit and bow. When i come up I see Mr. JYP himself and Yoo Jae Suk. They must be working on their song for the music festival next month.

“Staying out of trouble G. Soul?”

“Yes of course.”

“Who is your little friend?”

Jihyun moves out of the way and bring me forward. “This is Park Eun Mi.”

I bow to him and shake his hand. “So this is the girl I heard so much about. Well welcome I hope G. Soul is showing you a good time around our facility.”

“Wait! Park Eun Mi? I think she has a meeting at my company tomorrow.” says Yoo Jae Suk. “I will have to make sure that my company also treats her well when she comes to visit.”

I bow to Yoo Jae Suk. “Thank you for being so considerate to me.”

“Anything for a potential label mate.”

“I think after her tour here she will be canceling that meeting at FNC.”

“Okay let’s not get into an argument and have this young lady continue her tour,”

“You’re right. I will see you later at the meeting. G. Soul treat her right.”

“Of course hyung. Thank you for letting us crash your recording session.”

“No problem. Have a good time Eun Mi.” JYP put his hand up and I gave him a high five. I just gave the whisper master Mr. JYP a high five. I give both of them a bow before leaving. As we get further away I am controlling my inner fangirl.

“Next is the second floor. The floor that most of the artist love. It’s where our cafeteria is. Have you eaten yet?”

“Actually no I haven’t eaten yet. I just got off the plane about an hour ago. I’m running off of coffee right now.”

“That mean James. Not even giving you some food. Come on let’s get something to eat.” Once we reached the second floor the cafeteria is right in front of the steps. It is a little bit smaller than the one at SM, but it also doesn’t have as many empty spaces as SM. “We believe that everyone should socialize with everyone. You can see at one table there are trainees with people from HR and interns. I’ll go grab us some food. Why don’t you sit over there and save me a seat.”

“You don’t have to do that. I can get my own food.”

“Nonsense I want to. Also sometimes seats go quickly so it’s usually a safe bet to have someone save a seat.”

“Oh alright if you insist.” I go over and sit down.

The girl next to me turns and faces me. “Oh hello are you new here?”

“Oh I’m just visiting for the day. My name is Park Eun Mi. Nice to meet you.”

“Oh you’re the one that I’m meeting with later. I run the trainee program here. I’ll be talking to you about what is expected from you if you enter and also some other off site options.”

“Off site?”

“Well we know you are in school right now according to G Soul. We do have an office in LA. So for at least your first year if you wanted to you could do your trainee program in the states.”

“That can be a thing?”

“Yeah of course. G Soul trained at the NYC office for 5 years before coming over to Korea.” I had no idea that kpop training happened outside of Korea.I see Jihyun walking over with some trays and puts the tray down in front of me.

“What am I missing?” He looks over and sees who I’m talking too. “Noona! It’s so nice to see you here. How are the trainees doing?”

“They are doing well. They are excited for your next master class. Whenever that happens.”

“I told you give me a date and I will make sure I will be there.”

“If you say so,” As soon as some people got up from their seat 2 boys sit in front of me. I have to do a double take because I didn’t think they were going to be here.

“Oh hey Jackson, Mark. This is Eun Mi. She is visiting us today. She’s from the LA area like you Mark.”

“Oh really? It’s nice to see another native Californian. I hope you are enjoying your time here.”

“You look familiar. Have we met before?” I shake my head. I am so nervous that I don’t know what to say.

“Don’t scare her Jackson.”

“I am not being scary. I really thought I had seen her somewhere. I’m sorry if I scared you.”

“No it’s not that. I just really like your group. I guess I’m just a little nervous.”

“You’re an I Got7?” I nod my head. “That is awesome. Who is your favorite member?”

“Umm it’s actually Mark seonbae.”

“Mark?! Everyone loves Mark. Why does no one love me?”

“Most of my friends are fans of you Jackson.”

“Well they’re not here.” While Jackson was ranting Mark sneakily reaches his hand across the table and holds my hand. “Oh my god! And now you guys are holding hands. Are you guys a new couple? I hope you two enjoy the rest of your lives together.” I don’t know what to do so I just buried my face in the crook of my arm on the table.

“You’re making her blush Jackson.”

“It’s Mark’s fault for holding her hand.” I pull away my hand.

“Now look at it. You made her upset.”

“Umm sorry Eun Mi. I didn't mean to actually upset you.”

I perk up. “Gotcha!”

“Now I don't feel bad. Hyung I like her she's fiesty.”

“Well depending on the meeting she might be joining us.”

“Really? That will be awesome! I hope you join.”

“I hope you join too. If you do we will support you.” Says Mark.

“Well thanks guys. That is really nice of you.”

“We can tell that you mesh well with everyone here. And the more the merrier.”

“Did you finish eating Eun Mi? Do you want more?”

“I am and no thank you.”

“Guess we will be on our way.” Jihyun gets up and I follow suit. “See you guys later.”

“See ya hyung.”

“Bye guys.”

“Come join the nation.”

“I'll think about it.” Jihyun quickly pulls me away and I laugh to myself. “Are they always like that?”

“Always. It grows on you.”

“I thought they were like that for variety reasons.”

“You might not believe it, but we don't train much for variety. We give them nudges about talents, but personalities are 100% natural.”

“That's a little different at SM.” Johnny had told me things about what he was learning.

“Well that's good. Cause we don't want to be like SM.” We continue with the tour around the building. It is smaller than SM, but it definitely seems more like a family enviroment. I don't know if they are putting on an image so I will like it. I enter the meeting and JYP is still in his same outfit as before.

“How was the tour?”

“It was fun. It looks like everyone here enjoys what they do. You are really trying to sell me on joining.”

“It's it working?” JYP chuckles.

“Not sure. I mean if I join a company I want to join one that puts me in an environment to want to make music.”

JYP leans forward and acts serious. “Our first priority is the well being of our artists. If you don’t have the drive we will let you take a break. If something happens and it affects you mentally get help. We won't discriminate for taking care of yourself.”

My eyes start welling up. That means so much to me considering my history. “Thank you. That actually means a lot.”

JYP reaches his hand across the table and holds mine. “When you are here we take care of you. If the artist isn't well it is reflected in their music. We want you to do your very best and be your very best.” He smiles and leans away. “I know you have other companies to look at. But once you made your decision either way.” He hands me his business card. “Call back on my personal line.”

“I will. Thank you guys very much.” I stand up and shake their hands and also bow before making my exit.

“So what are you thinking?”

“I think this place is a contender, but let's see what the other places offer.”

“Fair enough. But if I am completely honest you won't find a sense of family anywhere else. I guarantee it.”

“Well thanks for showing me around.”

“No problem and also no matter what company you work for I hope we can do a collaboration one day.”

“Yeah that will be fun.” I wave and walk outside. And the sky is pitch black. I guess I was inside a lot longer than I thought. I walk away from the fans that are outside and power up the hotspot. Once my phone is connected I make a phone call to James on Kakao.

“So are you joining the nation?”

“It is really tempting. But I need to think about it. Can't make a life changing decision on little sleep.”

“That is very true.”

“Hey what do you want to do for dinner?”

“I've been wanting to try this new restaurant near the Han river. I'll send you a picture of a map with where exactly to go. Since the map app won't work with the hotspot.”

“Thanks James. I will await your map and head over there.”

“I'll see you soon.” We hang up and in a matter of seconds I get the map. I guess he was already planning this out. I look on the map and I have to cut through the park. I've always wanted to see how the park is lit up at night. I turn off the hotspot and start making my way there. When I enter the park I am greeted with the trees covered in lights. It almost looks like the sun hasn't set. As I walk through I see a lot of couples there and my heart twitches a bit. Why am I thinking about that goofy giant at a time like this? I shake my head and continue to walk. After the lights there is a little break from light until the next scene. With it being dark I barely see what seems to be a man in a black sweater, black face mask, black sunglasses (at night), and a black hat. He turns his head towards me and I hold onto my bag for dear life and start walking a little bit farther away. As I get closer he stands up and walks towards me. No this can't be happening. My first day back and I get attacked? Just my luck. As we are about to pass each other he grabs my arm like in the dramas and he covers my mouth.

“Don't scream.” That voice sounds familiar. I nod my head so he knows I won't scream. He lets go and takes his face mask and sunglasses off. It's Chanyeol.

“I thought you were in Japan.”

“Really? Those are your first words? Not hi or how have you been? Or I'm sorry for leaving without saying goodbye.”

“It's just better that way.”

“Better for who? Cause it really hurt when I had to hear from James the morning you're leaving that you're going home. I mean I thought we could trust each other. I thought you wouldn't just up and abandon everything we had. You know how I feel about people just leaving without a word. You were the first person I was able to trust again and you pulled that . I mean what's your reasoning. I want to know.”

My eyes start filling with tears and my throat feels like it is closing up.

“I did it for you.” I say in a quiet voice. “You're an idol. Fans don't want their idols to date. Idols if they end up dating are suppose to date other idols. It's easier to stay secretive that way. And I'm just another fan. What makes me so special to ruin your career over?”

“Is that what you think? You think that me being with you will ruin my career?”

“Don't you remember all the hate Baekhyun and Taeyeon got for dating? Kai and Krystal even though fans had paired them back when you debuted.”

“Are you saying their careers are ruined.”

“No cause they're with idols. Look at the guy from Day 6 who ended up getting kicked out because he got caught dating a fan. I don't want that to happen to you. I can't let that happen to you.” I start breaking down and fully crying. I cover my face with my hands, I don't want him to see me like this. I feel his arms wrap around me and he pulls me in close.

“I promise you that will not happen. This is going to sound harsh, but exo is bigger than day 6. As long as the relationship doesn't effect with how well we work we are able to be in relationships. True it is better if fans don't know, but if it comes to light, you then find out who your real fans are. And I promise I will not let them hurt you.” He moves my hands away and tilts my head up. “As long as you will have me I am yours.” He leans down and kisses me tenderly. Afterwards he wipes away and tears and pulls me in for another hug. This time my arms wrap around him as my head rests against his chest. We stay there for a little bit as he rubs my back. “Now let's get out of here. James is waiting back at the beginning with his car.”

“James is here?”

“Yeah he's the one who organized this. The ending point is for a copy center.”

“That I'm going to kill him when I see him.”

“Well wait til after we are done eating back at your place. He still got food for all of us. It just wouldn't be safe to eat out in public.”

“Oh right.” Chanyeol put his face mask and sunglasses back on. We make our way back through the light area. Chanyeol has his arm around me and I have my arm around his waist. As we approach what we think is James’ car, James comes out.

“Should I assume that the talk went well?”

“You can say that.”

“Okay just don't do more than this in front of me. She's still like my little sister. And if you hurt her I will plan out your murder.”

“Understood. Thank you again.”

“As long as she's happy I'm happy. Now come on.” We get into the car and start making our way back to the apartment. “So Chanyeol how did your little meeting go today at SM?”

“Umm it was a flop. The outcome is still the same.” I tilt my head to him. “I had a meeting with casting to see if they would cast you as a trainee. But with the direction they are going for they are looking for much younger people. If you got this attention 4 years ago they said they would have casted you.”

“It's okay. I think I would get too distracted there. Also I want to be able to get into a company base off my talent and not who I know.”

“And she might be given a harder time if people found out that she got in only because she knew someone.”

“That's true. I guess everything works out in the end. Still even if you pick one of the other companies that means you would be moving to Korea which makes you a lot closer. I would get to see you more often than before.”

“Well not a lot more. You're still going to be super busy.”

“As long as I know I'm close to her that's all I need. Just knowing that if I want to run away I can run away to her.”

“Please you're going to make me barf. Gross.” We chuckle in the back seat as our hands are interlaced. Can my life really change so easily. At least I know if I come I will have great people by my side.