A New Chapter

A Single Sunflower in a Field of Daisies

Why is it that whenever I return to Korea from the states it has to be the hottest day of the year. Today I finally move to Korea for good. After finishing college and training at the JYP office for a year I finally can start on my training here in Korea. I've seen JYP a couple of times when he visits the office. During our evaluations he keeps giving me praises, but also critics me on how to get even better. I got to see all the Got7 members and Twice when they were in LA for Kcon. In order to get my name out there for fans I got to compete in some kpop competitions. I also got to meet some awesome kpop YouTubers. They were really nice and they agreed to do reaction videos when I finally debut. Luckily there is an apartment available in the same building as James. I was able to get a good deal because of him.

As per usual of course James is standing there with my bags. How does he get it so fast?

“It's heavy again.”

“Cause I am here for good. Have you been making sure my stuff is arriving in 1 piece.”

“Oh yeah and then I toss them around a bit and give it a good kick for luck.”

“Wow thanks for taking such great care of my things.” I nudge him. “How's everyone?”

“Good. Johnny is loving the idol life. He feels like his hard work has paid off, but he wants to do more. Greg is thinking about working for JYP next since you will be there. Thanks for that.”

“I told him I don't even know when I'll debut. He should've stayed at SM.”

“Well you will have to deal with him. Hyun Ah is interning again and I think when she is done with school she will get a position within SM. It's looking promising.”

“That's good to hear.”

“And of course you know Chanyeol.”

“Yeah he's working on a music video today. I won't be able to see him for a while.”

“Glad you aren't too clingy to him.”

“Well I have you as my informant. If he strays away you will tell me and proceed to beat him up.”

“Actually I would beat him up and then tell you. I don't need permission to kick someone's .”

“Oh right silly me. Did you pick up my sim card?”

“Yep it's in the box in front of you. I even made sure they put a sticky note with your new number on it. Once you debut you will have to exchange your number a lot. So you better have it memorized.”

“Will do.” I set up my phone and begin texting Johnny and Hyun Ah letting them know that I made it to Korea. My phone rings and it's Johnny. I answer it and put it on speaker. “Hey Johnny what's happening?”

“Just calling my favorite new trainee. Your text came at the perfect time. We are taking a break from practice. I wanted to actually hear your voice.”

“Well here it is. I start being a trainee tomorrow. Hope you support me seonbae~.”

“Hey I'm still Johnny to you. Only use seonbae when talking about me to others. It's a nice ego booster.”

“He is so humble.” mumbles James.

“You're with James? No fair! I want to hang out with you guys.”

“Maybe on your next day off the three of us can go and workout together.”

“I don't want to work out.”

“Dude we can work out and then hang out. Vegging on the couch and watch some movies.”

“I like half of that idea, but I think my manager will like it if I say I'm going to work out.”

“Cool. Keep us in the loop with your schedule. Can't wait to see you.”

“Alright. I'll text you later. Eat jjajjamyung for me.”

“Of course. It's the official move in food.”

“Whatever. Bye.”

“Bye.” We hang up and we arrive at the apartments. “Aren't we getting coffee?”

“You will see why we aren't in a few moments.” We arrive to my apartment which looks likes James, but it's on a different for with a better view. When I walk into the kitchen the only thing there that is not a box is a coffee machine. “Now you can get coffee here. I'll make you some and then we can get started with the unpacking.”

“You're the best you know.”

“Of course, but it's nice hearing it once in awhile.” For the rest of the day we unpacked and started organizing where things will go once I get the furniture. The important thing is my bed is assembled. We went shopping for food and needed toiletries. The cashier thought we were a couple, but we corrected her very quickly. After a while I kick James out of my apartment so I can have some alone time. Cause right now it hasn't hit me that this is really my apartment. It feels like I'm staying at James's place and that this is only temporary. I have moved to Korea. I no longer live in the hell hole that is America. Some people think I left because of Trump. I left to better my life. I would be coming here even if Hillary won. Glad I am out of that situation. I don't have to think about that anymore.

After talking to my mom and letting her know that I am fine I decide to call it an early night and go to bed. I am awoken by some heavy knocks on my door. I look at my phone and see it's 3 am. Who would be knocking at my door at 3 am. If it is James I will kill him, I don't care. I groggly walk over to the door. I don't even ask who it is and I open the door. I wake up really quick when I see it’s Chanyeol.

“Chanyeol!” I pull him in.

“Are you that excited to see me?”

“What are you doing here? What if someone saw you?”

“Who would see me at 3 am?”

“People like you who are roaming around.” We move to my nonexistent living room. “What are you doing here anyways? It's 3 am.”

Chanyeol walks over and gives me a hug. “I finished work and wanted to runaway to my girlfriend. Is that wrong?”

“Yes I mean no. You should've told me you were coming.” I finally start hugging him back.

“I wanted you to get some sleep. Plus now that I'm here we can go to bed together.” He pulls apart and takes hold of my wrist and drags me into my room. How does he know which room is mine? We walk in and as he starts to fall he pulls me in. We land on my bed a I start hitting his chest lightly.

“Chanyeol~”

“There is no one by that name here.”

I glare up at him and pout. “Oppa!”

“I am sorry, but your oppa is sleeping right now.” Chanyeol begins to fake snore. Dude, I can't breathe. That's it. I start tickling him. “S-Stop that!” He starts squirming around. I use this opportunity to get on top and pin him down. “Didn't know you want to move this fast.” I tilt my head and playfully glare at him. I lean down slowly. I get to about and inch and his eyes are closed. After a few seconds he opens one eye slightly and pouts. “No kiss?”

“I'm just torturing you.”

He leans up and I move back. “No fair.”

“When is torture ever fair?” I laugh and give him a light kiss and then lay next to him.

I feel him moving around and then he stops. “Happy 1 year anniversary.” I look up and see him holding a box.

I spring up into sitting position. “Chanyeol! You shouldn't have. I feel horrible now that I haven't got anything for you.” I take the box and I open it. Inside is a necklace with a sunflower pendant. “How Chanyeol is really beautiful.”

“Do you want to know why I chose I sunflower?”

I was curious. I never told him what my favorite flower is. “Why did you get me a sunflower.”

“Because sunflowers stand tall and stand out from others. It doesn’t try to be it just is. You tried to blend yourself with the other fans, with the workers at SM, but you shone so bright. There was no way anyone could miss your rays. And with the world full of daisies you are the sunflower in the field.”

“Oh Chanyeol.” I lean forward and wrap my arms around his neck. “Thank you for loving me even though I kept trying to push you away.”

“Of course my sunflower. And thank you for being there for me when I thought I was all alone.” We stay like that for a few seconds. “How about I help you put that on.”

“Okay.” I give him the box and turn around and hold my hair up. I feel the pendant touch the top of my chest and then the chain resting against the back of my neck. Before I could put my hair down I feel Chanyeol’s lips against the back of my neck.

“Sorry I couldn’t help myself.”

“It’s okay.” I turn around. “I didn’t mind it.”

“Is it okay if I stay the night? I already have my alarm set and Suho knows I’m here. He said that the manager would pick me up somewhere near here tomorrow.”

“Okay, but we are only sleeping and cuddling. We might have been dating for a full year, but being physical is a lot different.”

“It’s alright. And now that you are here we can have more time to work on the physical aspect of our relationship. But for tonight let’s just enjoy being together for more than an hour.” Chanyeol gets up and turns off the lights. At first I can’t see him and then I feel him getting into bed. He quickly wraps his arms around me and drapes his leg over mine. “Goodnight Eun Mi.”

“Good night Chanyeol. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

I wake up and I feel that the space next to me is empty. I slowly open my eyes and the reality of him gone sinks in. I frown at first and I groggily sit up. I run my fingers through my hair and stretch a little bit. I look over and see a piece of paper.

“Good morning Sunflower. You looked so beautiful when you were sleeping that I couldn’t disturb you. I hope to see you soon even if it is in your dreams. Have a great day I know you will be awesome. Fighting!” I smile at the note. This guy is too sweet sometimes. I pick up my phone and I woke up before my alarm by half an hour.

 

I decide to get ready early and take a few selfies to send to Chanyeol. I make my way to JYP and luckily my badge from LA works at the Seoul office. I start going through the normal trainee schedule and after a while I end up in solo work time. Meaning I am stuck in a room by myself while I work on the songs that they have given me. While I am working I hear a knock on my door.

“It’s open come in.” I say on the louder side. I look at the door and I see Jihyun. “Oh seonbae!”

“How’s day one so far? James told me to check in.”

“I am doing fine. So far it’s not that different from being in LA.”

“Okay and by the way JYP wants to see you.”

“See me? Why?”

“He didn’t say. Didn’t seem to be too bad.”

“Too bad?”

“Come on it’s your first day. What could you have possibly do?” More than you know. I start making my way to his office and I start thinking about if this could be about Chanyeol. Did he get caught this morning? Did someone at SM find out? I reach JYP’s office.

“I heard that Mr. JYP was looking for me.”

“Oh right. Just have a seat there I will let him know you are here.” I sit down and my leg starts shaking. I really need to get rid of that habit. “He will see you now.” I stand up quickly and follow her into his office.

“Hello Eun Mi.”

I bow to him. “Hello Mr. JYP.”

“How is your day so far? Are you adjusting?”

“So far it is the same as back in LA. I feel at home here.”

“That is good. So I want to talk to you about what our plan should be for you.”

“Plan?” I sit down in the chair in front of his desk.

“Yes. You have gathered a lot of attention from the international kpop community. We keep getting comments on our YouTube videos asking when are you going to debut. We are even getting big name networks asking when to expect your debut. I think for the rest of this year we need to work on your image and to figure out what kind of sound you will come out with. Something that is unique and different. LDN already said that he wants to be the one to write your title debut track. I heard he was the one that wrote Monster. I guess he is the one to thank for making you as famous as you are. Once we have that situated I think we should go for a March debut. That way you have a lot of time to do 1 or 2 comebacks and really get your name out there in time for the MaMa awards.”

“Are you saying I am debuting next year?”

“As long as everything go to plan, yes. Now with that I need you to be honest with me.”

“Honest about what?”

“Just honest about anything that can come up if people do enough digging.”

“Well I have mentioned to you before about witnessing my ex-boyfriend’s death.”

“Okay and are there any ex boyfriends that might be in the field. Or even current boyfriends?”

“Huh? I was only here for 6 months years ago.”

“6 months is plenty of time to start and end a relationship. I just need to know these things so that we can protect you if it comes up.” I don’t know if I should tell him. On one hand if I do he can kick me out. If I don’t tell him and he finds out he can still kick me out. Either way I have a feeling I am going to be kicked out. It was nice being in Korea for all of one day.

“I am currently dating someone. We’ve been together for 1 year.”

JYP sits there quiet for a moment. “Well if it was only for a month or two I would try and have you end it, but a year is a little different. Is this person also in the kpop industry?” I nod my head. “Well you just have to be extremely careful. I don’t want to hear about a little Eun Mi on the way. Not until you’re in your 30s. Who is the lucky man anyways?”

“It is Park Chanyeol.”

“Chanyeol?! From EXO?! You really know how to pick them.” JYP starts writing down on a notepad. “Luckily EXO’s dating ban was lifted a while ago as evidence with their members dating scandals. I will have to contact them so that we can come up with a game plan for if this ever becomes public. And I want to clarify this. I am okay with you dating him in private. Just make sure that this doesn’t affect work. If you start slacking off or start missing events because of him you are done. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir.”

“Okay now get back to your lessons. We have a lot of work to do for your debut.”

“I promise I will not let you down. I will work my hardest.”

“That’s the spirit. This is why I wanted you here. Welcome to the nation.” He smiles and I walk away. I go to an empty hallway and I message Chanyeol saying I am going to debut next year.

He replies, “I knew you could do it sunflower. This is only the beginning.”