Chapter 5

The Beauty of Envy

“What are you doing here?” Jessica spat the words at Kyuhyun, as he stood by the doorway entrance to the SNSD dorm. Still, he seemed to be unphased by her sharp words. His eyes were busy trying to look behind her, for the one person he needed to see right now.

 

“I came to see Sooyoung, Sica. Now let me in,” he said, trying to get past her.

 

“No. The way I see it, you've already done enough for Sooyoung,” she said, blocking his path.

 

“Jessica, let me in, or I'll make you move out of my way,” he growled.

 

She looked as if she would punch him right in the face, but her attention was distracted when she felt a hand on her shoulder, “Let him in. He does need to apologize to her.” Yonghwa stood behind Jessica, with his gaze fixed on Kyuhyun, while Jessica debated whether she should move or not. When she finally did move, Kyuhyun didn't hesitate to slip into the dorm and head straight upstairs.

 

Yonghwa was always there for Sooyoung. Always. And that fact really annoyed the hell out of Kyuhyun.

 

Shaking the irritated expression off of his face, Kyuhyun neared Sooyoung's door and raised his fist to knock. Hesitating for as long as he could, he let out a sigh of anticipation, before knocking, “Sooyoung?”

 

When he didn't get a reply, Kyuhyun wrapped his hand around the doorknob and checked to see if it was locked. Surprised that it wasn't, he pulled the door open, and his eyes fell on a sleeping Sooyoung. It took him a couple of strides to reach her bed, and he sat down on the edge, careful not to disturb her sleep. She looked so peaceful, and not so confused since the last time he saw her.

 

“I'm so sorry...,” he whispered, his hand subconsciously entwining with hers. The feeling was so right. As if their hands had been made for each other, and it sent and electrical feeling up his arm so bolded that it even surprised him.

 

“Oppa?!” He was so distracted with the feeling of their entwined hands, that he hadn't noticed it had woken Sooyoung up, “What are you doing here?” She pulled back her hand, and looked at him.

 

“Sooyoung, I'm sorry,” he started right away, “What I said to you...the other day...I don't know why I said it. I would hate it if you weren't in my life.” She looked pained, as if she was struggling to understand what he was saying, “I know I don't deserve your apology, but I want you to know that I wish I could take it all back.” He wrapped his arms around her waist and drew her in for a hug, not caring if she would respond, but knowing that she had to feel how sorry he was.

 

She sat still for a moment, unable to think of an appropriate response, but she couldn't resist the contact between them and found herself hugging him back, “How can I not forgive you, oppa? You're...my best friend.” His heart was beating fast at her words, and the closeness between them only made it accelerate even more.

 

Through all the thoughts that ran through his mind, not one consisted of Seohyun.

 

- - - - - - -

 

“I'm surprised he hasn't proposed yet.”

 

“I'm surprised you haven't proposed yet.”

 

Yonghwa rolled his eyes good-naturedly, “What do I have to do to make you believe that I'm not going out with Sooyoung?” he chuckled, moving closer to Seohyun.

 

She laughed lightly, “I don't know, you guys look pretty convincing.” Her heart sunk at her own words. Why was she doing this to herself?

 

He sighed, “Seohyun...I don't love Sooyoung. I love someone that I can't love, because she's already happy with another person, and I can't be selfish.”

 

He loved someone else? Someone he couldn't be with? Curiosity, envy and sadness engulfed her features, “Who is it, Yonghwa?” He hadn't expected her to ask that question. Yonghwa could only stare into Seohyun's eyes without an answer to give. She held onto his hand, “You could tell me,” she gave him a sad smile, “Who do you love?”

 

“You.” Yonghwa didn't know what came over him. Whether it was her soft, gentle tone that persuaded him, or the look in her eyes that made him blurt out the answer. All he knew was that his most intimate and buried secret was out in the open.

 

Her eyes widened, “W-What?” she whispered.

 

“I shouldn't have said that,” he stood up, giving Seohyun an apologetic look, before dashing out of her room.

 

. . . . . . . She wasn't suppose to know that he loved her, and he had succumbed to her anyways. Yonghwa walked into Sooyoung's room, and caught sight of Kyuhyun and Sooyoung hugging, “I'm so sorry to disturb,” he said, his heart was beating fast and he was so nervous, because he was currently facing the boyfriend of the girl he just admitted being in love with, “but I need to borrow Sooyoung for a minute.” Without waiting for a response, he grabbed Sooyoung by her wrist and dragged her out of her room.

 

“Oppa, what is going on?!” she asked, half-angry, half-concerned.

 

“I might have just created a huge gigantic mess,” he said, as he pulled both of them outside the dorms, “and I need your help to fix it!”

 

Sooyoung looked at him, “What did you do?” she asked.

 

“I told Seohyun,” he sighed, stopping mid-sentence to run a hand down his face, “that I love her.”

 

“WHAT?!” Sooyoung's eyes looked about ready to bulge out of her sockets, “Pabo! What the hell were you thinking?! And if Kyuhyun gets a whiff of this, I don't know what would happen?!” She was in a sudden state shock and anxiety, “And Kyuhyun just got back to his old self again.”

 

“Yeah, I saw some of that action,” muttered Yonghwa.

 

She rounded on him, “You don't have the right to say anything, Mr. I-Can't-Keep-My-Mouth-Shut!”

 

“I know, I know,” he said, worry clouding his features.

 

Sooyoung sighed, hugged Yonghwa and said, “I'll talk to Seohyun,” she said, pulling back, “I'll try and convince her not to tell Kyuhyun anything.”

 

“I'm sorry, Soo,” he said, looking at her.

 

“That's the second time a guy's apologized to me, today,” she laughed, lightly.

 

He grimaced, “I didn't make you cry,” he pointed out.

 

She frowned, “Oppa, don't bring that up. Kyuhyun's a good person, and you had to make everyone turn against him.”

 

“Are you sure you'd say the same thing if you weren't in love with him?”

 

“I wouldn't know. I've always been in love with him.”

 

- - - - - - -

 

I wouldn't know. I've always been in love with him.

 

Seohyun's heart was beating fast, as she sank to the floor of her room. After Yonghwa left her room, she had sat frozen on her bed, feeling so happy and elated, yet guilty at the same time, because her mind was telling her to love Kyuhyun. Yonghwa had just told her that he loved her and she knew that she loved him. While she was in an internal conflict about her emotions, she had suddenly heard Sooyoung's yells from outside her window. Pulling back the curtain just a little, she had heard her conversation with Yonghwa from the second level of the dorm.

 

Sooyoung was in love with Kyuhyun.

 

Yonghwa was in love with her, and she was one hundred percent sure she loved him.

 

But did Kyuhyun share Sooyoung's feelings? And what about the tiny, teeny fact that she was going out with him?!

 

Everything was a mess.

 

“Seohyun? Are you ok?” Seohyun's head snapped up when she saw her boyfriend step into her room, “You look so pale. Are you sick?” he sunk down to her position on the floor with a concerned look on his face.

 

“I-I'm fine, oppa,” she said, standing up, “I-I just...I...,” she trailed off, unsure of what to say exactly. Should she tell him what she just heard? Should she tell him everything that was going on in her head? He was her boyfriend, right? Then why did she feel that she couldn't tell him.

 

Not until she found out if he loved Sooyoung.

 

Kyuhyun was standing, too, “What's wrong? You know you could tell me,” he smiled. But his smile didn't make butterflies flap around in her stomach. It didn't make her heart jump.

 

“I need you to answer a question,” she said, firmly, her expression serious.

 

“What is it?” he asked, happy that she had some use for him. He didn't like being helpless.

 

“Do you love Sooyoung?”