Chapter 2

The Beauty of Envy

It had been a while since Kyuhyun's heart jumped at the sight of his girlfriend, or melted when he kissed her. It had been a while since he had felt unconditional and unrequited love for Seohyun. At the beginning of their relationship, it was what everybody expected the maknaes to feel. Sparks, fireworks, kisses, hugs, whispered nothings...all the gooey, cheesy stuff that was present in any relationship. And for Kyuhyun and Seohyun there was no exception. They felt all of that.

 

He just didn't know that it would only last for the first three months of their relationship. Now, he was desperate to try and save the love that he lost for her. Perhaps a marriage proposal would bring that back? Perhaps it was what he needed to jump start them back onto the path they carried when they first started going out? Maybe marriage would take them back to being deeply infatuated with each other.

 

Kyuhyun knew that the perfect person to help him find a way to propose to Seohyun was Sooyoung, because she was intelligent and completely romantic. She just hadn't found someone to be romantic with. He knew that she would think of the perfect way to propose to Seohyun. The fact that she hadn't been in a relationship with anyone ever since he'd known her, didn't cloud his judgment at all.

 

So he'd gone to see her where Taeyeon had said she'd be. Taking a photo shoot for a wedding op for a magazine. She looked absolutely beautiful when he saw her in the wedding dress. But she was busy, so he retreated back to the Super Junior dorm, sitting in bed and thinking of a way to propose to Seohyun. He didn't know what was holding him back, but he was sure Sooyoung would help him think of the perfect way.

 

- - - - - - -

 

The day had ended when Sooyoung finally had the strength to shoo Yongwha away so that she could change. Yongwha insisted that he stay over, just so that she would be ok. Sooyoung didn't resist, because now, more than ever, she needed someone to comfort her, and take her mind off of the man who was breaking her heart.

 

She ended up sleeping in his embrace, and only when he was sure that she was completely asleep, did he let his own tears fall endlessly and relentlessly.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Seohyun-ah? Are you ok?” Taeyeon's soft, concerned voice broke Seohyun's trance on her thoughts, and she looked up at the leader with a smile.

 

Yes, of course, unnie,” she replied.

 

Taeyeon smiled, “Good. I wouldn't want my Seobaby to be in a bad mood,” she said, leaning across to squeeze Seohyun in an uncomfortable hug.

 

Gah, unnie! You're suffocating me!” she said, pushing Taeyeon off. The leader just laughed and walked out of the kitchen, where Tiffany and Sunny were sitting on the table, Hyoyeon was busy listening to her iPod and Seohyun was slowly eating her breakfast. The reason why Taeyeon had been so concerned about Seohyun, was because of the lost and confused expression she had on her face while she let her thoughts wander around Kyuhyun. She loved him, and she knew that much. But there was a hollow place in her heart where it had once been filled for the unrequited love she had for Kyuhyun. She didn't know why, but she wanted it to be gone.

 

Sighing to herself, Seohyun continued to eat, when she heard Jessica's shriek from upstairs, “CHOI SOOYOUNG! WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?” Her eyebrows creased, Seohyun walked out of the small kitchen and let her footsteps guide her upstairs to where Jessica and Sooyoung's room was.

 

Sooyoung was laughing at Jessica's angry expression, while Yonghwa was scratching the back of his head, hoping not to get killed by the Ice Princess of SNSD.

 

Calm down, Sica,” said Sooyoung, as she walked over to Yonghwa and pulled him out of the room, only to stop when she saw Seohyun, “Oh! Hey Seo!” she said, a smile on her lips.

 

For some odd reason, the sight of Yongwha and Sooyoung together, holding hands, no matter how innocent it might have been troubled Seohyun. Yes, she'd heard the rumors that they were a couple, and yes she knew the fans were highly interested in the pairing of YongSoo, but it was the first time she'd actually seen something to lead her to believe that it was real. And for reasons she couldn't explain, it hurt her to see them like that. Furthermore, what was Yongwha doing in Sooyoung and Jessica's room since last night? Seohyun was sure they didn't do anything drastic because Jessica was there but she still had a problem with the two of them being together.

 

Shaking her thoughts off, Seohyun smiled, “Good morning, unnie,” she replied, letting her eyes drift towards Yongwha, who was trying to look as casual as someone who just walked out of a girls' room could look.

 

Well, we gotta go,” said Sooyoung, apologetically, “I got a call from the manager and she says she needs to talk to me and Yongwha about something,” she rolled her eyes, gave Seohyun a smile and walked down the hallway. Yongwha looked as if he was going to say something, but instead opted for a smile and continued to walk after Sooyoung.

 

As her eyes followed the retreating figures of her friend and 'husband', Seohyun could only feel troubled about their relationship...whatever it was. But the voice inside of her head told her that she was probably over-reacting because she and Yongwha were suppose to be 'married' on tv, and that the feeling would go away. The voice was probably right. She was just being paranoid. Besides, she had Kyuhyun.

 

Even as she walked down the stairs intent on continuing her breakfast, the tinier voice in Seohyun's head noted that neither Sooyoung's or Yonghwa's smiles reached their eyes when they saw her. As if their smiles had been forced.

 

- - - - - - -

 

I'm so sorry, Yongwha,” Sooyoung's apologetic tone reached Yonghwa's ears for the fiftieth time, and he just smiled at her with a swift roll of his eyes.

 

Sooyoung, I said that I'd stay with you, remember. You have nothing to apologize for.”

 

Yeah, but waking up next to me in the morning when you're trying to show Seohyun that you love her, isn't exactly a good way to start,” she said, her tone exasperated.

 

I can't show her that I love her,” he replied, “...not anymore.”

 

The pair were walking towards the SM building, where their managers had called for their presence, and Sooyoung was sure that it was something else having to do with the YongSoo scandals that were going around. She knew that the more the fans obsessed over a certain pair, the more the company got money.

 

Yonghwa opened the door to the building, and Sooyoung smiled at him as she entered first. Such a perfect gentleman. She didn't understand why Seohyun wouldn't give herself a chance to fall in love with him.

 

Of course, the constant paparazzi camera flashes in the background as the two entered the building didn't go unnoticed. But Yonghwa and Sooyoung couldn't care any less.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Fingertips sliding softly against the glass that protected the jewelry inside of it, Kyuhyun was puzzled as to which ring he would buy for Seohyun, so that he could propose to her. His eyes had swiped every shelf for the tenth time, but he hadn't found one that fit his vision of Seohyun.

 

Sighing, he pulled out his cellphone and quickly dialed Sooyoung's number, before pressing it against his ear. She would know which one to pick.

 

H-hello?” Sooyoung's voice answered from the other end of the line, clearly flustered and annoyed.

 

Sooyoung? Are you ok?”

 

It took a second for her to register whom she was speaking too, before she answered, “Kyu? Yeah, I'm fine,” she said, still sounding irritated, “The managers are just upping my workload and I'm just a tad bit annoyed with them at the moment,” she sighed, “But, enough about me. What's up?”

 

Oh, I was shopping for a ring for Seohyun, and I can't pick the right one. If you have the time, I was wondering if you could meet me and you could help me with the ring and proposal?”

 

Yeah, sure!” answered Sooyoung's voice, “Yongwha's going to have to drop me off at the dorm first, because we took his car to see the managers, so I'll be a little late.”

 

Alright, then. See you later.”

 

Bye!”

 

Kyuhyun pocketed his phone, and he turned his attention back to the rings on display. Why was Sooyoung always with Yongwha if they were constantly denying having any romantic relationship with each other? Why were the managers pushing that notion? And why, did he find his thoughts around that subject while he was shopping for a ring to propose to his girlfriend?

 

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he came across a ring that he hadn't noticed before. It was a silver band, with just one small diamond at the center. It was so perfect and so beautiful, even in its plain state. But the ring didn't remind him of Seohyun. It reminded him of Sooyoung.