Chapter 1

The Beauty of Envy

With their hands entwined with each other, Sooyoung and Yonghwa looked like the absolutely perfect couple. She was wearing a gorgeous long white wedding dress, and he was wearing an elegant suit that screamed out 'perfect'. Both of their faces were alight with happiness.

 

The photographer thought they'd look pretty convincing for the magazine op that he was doing.

 

The flash came nearly blinding the 'couple', before the photographer spoke, “That's a wrap,” he winked at them, and the SNSD shikshin and CN Blue's vocalist dropped their faux expressions, and smiled wearily at each other. It had been a long day of the torturous photo shoots for the wedding issue of a famous magazine that their managers had signed them up for.

 

“My muscles are aching and my hand is all sweaty,” whined Sooyoung, as she took her hand away from Yonghwa's hand.

 

He put on a mock hurt expression, “Jeez, Sooyoungie, and I thought I had a chance with you,” he said, with a frown, and a joking tone.

 

Sooyoung laughed and hugged him, and the camera flashed again. Both paused in bewilderment as the photographer gushed, “That was such a lovely spur-of-the-moment picture, I couldn't not take it,” he said, as he smiled packed his bags and left.

 

Yonghwa shook his head, as he looked at Sooyoung, “Well, I'm getting out of these clothes before the photographer has another urge to take a spur-of-the-moment picture,” he said, standing up and leaving the photo shoot room. Sooyoung chuckled, as he left, her fingers reaching up to let the veil in her long brown locks slide off.

 

To her, Yonghwa was the best friend anybody could ask for. The relationship between the two would always be as close as friends could get, and never anything more. It was set in stone, and it was set in their hearts. However, SM, along with many of its artists, thought the pair was a perfect one and milked it for all it was worth.

 

“You know, you look quite beautiful in that dress.”

 

The smooth and angelic voice reached Sooyoung's ears, causing her heart to jump at the familiarity of it. Her big brown eyes locked onto the figure of Cho Kyuhyun, looking as handsome as usual, and with the smirk on his lips could make any girls faint in appreciation of his appearance.

 

“Oppa?” she spoke, in a hurried attempt to hide the blush that was slowly creeping up on her cheeks, “What're you doing here?”

 

“I wanted some help from you,” said Kyuhyun, as he bit his lip, obviously trying to decide whether to tell Sooyoung what was on his mind or not.

 

Sooyoung gave him a smile, “Go ahead, oppa, tell me what it is. You know I'm here to help whatever the problem may be,” she said.

 

Kyuhyun sighed, “Ok,” he paused for a second longer before saying what was on his mind, “I don't know what would be the perfect way to propose to Seohyun,” he said, looking at her expectantly.

 

Feeling her heart sink, twist and churn all at the same time, Sooyoung managed to give him another forced smile, to which he didn't see as suspicious, “Aww, our maknaes will be tying the not soon!” she said, pulling him into a hug.

 

“Hey Sooyoung, if you want I can give you a ride to the SNSD dorm,” Yonghwa's voice saved her from giving Kyuhyun any 'advice'. “Hey Kyu, how's Seohyun?” he asked, good-naturedly, although after Sooyoung had parted from her embrace with Kyuhyun, she could see the hurt behind his eyes in acknowledging the fact that Kyuhyun and Seohyun were an official couple.

 

The thing that had brought Sooyoung and Yonghwa close in the first place was their resentment in the fact that the people they were deeply and unconditionally in love with, were in love with each other. In turn, both the shikshin and the leader comforted each other, and slid into the titles of best friends, since they were with each other all the time. This lead for the fans to greatly love the pairing of Sooyoung and Yonghwa, although both never felt anything more for the other. Their hearts were pining for hearts that were already taken. In turn, they never felt like going against the wishes of SM Entertainment pushing them to appear like a couple even if they weren't. And they didn't mind that the fans thought they were a couple. They didn't have the heart or the energy to deny it, when all they wanted to do was sulk for the rest of their lives.

 

“Y-yeah, could you?” asked Sooyoung, before she turned to Kyuhyun, “Oppa, we could meet later, maybe and I could give you some advice?”

 

Kyuhyun nodded with a smile, “Thanks Soo,” he said, giving her a small peck on the cheek before heading out of the studio. As soon as he disappeared from her sight, Sooyoung turned around, pushing past Yonghwa and muttering a “I'll change and be back,” before entering the room given temporarily to her. Letting the tears run freely now, Sooyoung collapsed on the sofa in her room and sobbed, letting her tears ruin her make up, letting her perfect white dress become ruined and letting her beautiful long hair become tangled. She didn't care because her heart was slowly breaking into tiny microscopic pieces.

 

Yonghwa saw the look in her eyes after Kyuhyun left, and it looked so much more pained than before. Sighing to himself lightly, he turned around, and followed Sooyoung's footsteps to her room.

 

“Sooyoung?” he said, his voice clear and strong, as he knocked on the door. His ears heard the quiet sobbing on his best friend, and worry struck him. His hand wrapped around the doorknob and he was surprised to see that it was open. He didn't hesitate to walk in, but he wasn't prepared to see the shikshin in a complete mess.

 

Stepping out of his stunned moment, he walked over and gently wrapped her around his arms, “Sooyoung-ah,” he started, “stop torturing yourself. Tell me what happened.”

 

“H-h-he said..,” she could only try to stutter the words out before Sooyoung was once again engulfed by a series of sobs that seemed as endless as the starry night.

 

Rubbing her back comfortingly, Yonghwa leaned back to wipe the tears traveling down her soft cheeks with his thumb, “What did he say?” he asked, softly and gently. But his words only produced more tears.

 

“I thought I had a chance. I thought maybe he would someday see how much I loved him, Yonghwa.....it's all...I'll never get my chance now,” she sobbed into his shoulder, “Kyuhyun wants to propose to Seohyun.”

 

The words struck him like a knife to the heart. The pain he felt in his heart traveled throughout his whole entire body and seemed to numb his senses after a while. So that was it. Seohyun would never know his true feelings for her. She would never know how much love his heart possessed for her. Gritting his teeth, he held onto Sooyoung, and his eyes ran on her figure.

 

Sooyoung looked beautiful, absolutely breathtaking in the wedding dress. She looked like a flawless model. Her skin wasn't as fair as her unnie's but that made her mysterious, and her hair was gorgeous. But she also looked heartbreaking, because through all the beauty she possessed, the tear-strained face and the week appeal drove Yonghwa almost to madness to see his best friend in this state. He was a man, and no matter how much he loved Seohyun, he could never look as broken as Sooyoung did. He was broken on the inside, and that was how he would keep it.

 

“Oppa, sometimes I wish that I didn't love Kyuhyun as much as I did, just so the pain would go away,” she cried, looking up at his face. Her large eyes were full of tears and he wondered how it was possible she could tell where he was, “I wish I didn't love him. I wish I didn't love him,” she repeatedly whispered, as he embraced her once more.

 

“I know,” he whispered, feeling his own eyes cloud with tears. He felt Sooyoung's hold tighten. Only she knew of his love for Seohyun, as he knew about her love for Kyuhyun, and they could only understand what the other was going through.

 

As he held onto the crying beauty in his arms, Yonghwa wished that he and Sooyoung could really fall in love, just so the situation would work out and they wouldn't have to go through so much pain. But his wish was only halfheartedly thought of, because the only girl he could ever see was Seohyun.