Chapter 3

The Beauty of Envy

Thank you, Yonghwa,” Sooyoung muttered quietly, when he had dropped her off at the SNSD dorm, while she shielded her eyes from the constant camera flashing. Ugh. When was it going to stop. Yonghwa rolled his eyes, “Don't mind them, Soo,” he said, giving her a hug, “I'll see you later,” he smiled at her, letting his gaze run over the dorm windows. Sooyoung knew he was looking for Seohyun.

 

She sighed, after he'd driven off and turned around to enter the complex, when she heard a honk from behind her. Surprised, she turned around to see Kyuhyun. A smile broke out on her lips, in an almost mechanical way. She could never show her sorrow in front of him. She wouldn't let Seohyun suffer for her own selfish reasons, “Kyu? I thought I was going to drive over to you,” she asked, stepping into the passenger seat.

 

You guys were taking too long,” he pouted, “besides, there was no point in taking two cars.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, and they began to drive towards the ring shop. Just thinking about that made her want to curl up in her bed and cry her heart out, but she kept it in, for Seohyun. She kept it in for Kyuhyun.

 

- - - - - - -

 

His gaze ran across Sooyoung's ring many times, but he never breathed a word about it. Why he had suddenly started referring to it as 'Sooyoung's ring', Kyuhyun had no idea, but there was no other name the ring could possess.

 

Sooyoung and Kyuhyun were in the ring shop, and while he browsed around, still looking for a perfect ring for Seohyun, Sooyoung took her time inspecting every ring her eyes laid on. He didn't mind at all. Kyuhyun believed that the ring had to be perfect for Seohyun. She was, after all, going to be the future Cho Seohyun, and his wife only deserved the best. A smile formed on his lips as the thoughts ran across his mind, when he was interrupted by Sooyoung.

 

Oppa! Oppa, I found the perfect ring,” she squealed. Curious he walked over to Sooyoung while she held up the ring that the jeweler had taken out for her, “Isn't it just so beautiful,” she murmured, completely awed by the ring in her hand.

 

It's-,” Kyuhyun's words were cut off when he saw the ring positioned in the tiny box in Sooyoung's hand. It was Sooyoung's ring, “..beautiful,” he finished, uneasily.

 

She looked up at him, sensing there was something wrong with him, “Oppa, you don't have to get this ring,” she laughed lightly, “but I think Seohyun will really like it. I know it's just a simple silver band with a small diamond, but it just....it just seems so perfect that way.” Kyuhyun could see that by her smile, Sooyoung truly meant every word she said about the ring.

 

You're right,” he smiled, as she handed him the tiny velvet box. It was perfect. It was beautiful. But it wasn't suppose to remind him of Sooyoung. He took one glance at Sooyoung, who was still awestruck by the ring, and knew that it was the ring he was going to get.

 

- - - - - - -

 

When she saw the ring first, all the other rings disappeared. Sooyoung didn't know why, but she knew that Kyuhyun had to buy that one ring for Seohyun. She knew Seohyun would adore it. She knew that she would treasure it forever. But after Kyuhyun had bought the ring, and the two were driving back to the SNSD dorm, the truth dawned on her...once again.

 

He was going to marry Seohyun. He would never know her true feelings towards him, and she wouldn't be the only one suffering. Yonghwa was already broken knowing that they were going to get married. His heart would be destroyed after Kyuhyun and Seohyun would exchange their vows. He wasn't showing his true feelings in front of her, but Sooyoung knew that Yonghwa was a mess on the inside.

 

Sooyoung? Sooyoung-ah, you're crying,” Kyuhyun's soft voice snapped Sooyoung out of her reverie, and she raised a finger to touch the droplets of water trailing down her cheeks. Once she realized what she was doing, Sooyoung quickly dried the rest of her tears.

 

I'm sorry, Kyuhyun,” she muttered.

 

Why would you be sorry?” he asked, shaking his head lightly, “What's wrong?”

 

It's nothing,” she said, shaking her head, as her lips curved in a sad smile.

 

Obviously, it's something if you're crying,” he said.

 

Sooyoung sighed, “I'm just...thinking...that after you and Seo get married...she won't be living with us anymore. That's why I'm crying.” It was somewhat true. Sooyoung would definitely miss Seohyun, but that wasn't the reason why she was crying.

 

She wiped her tears again and smoothed out her read puffy eyes, “Listen, don't mind me,” she chuckled, “I'm just being a girl. My dongsaeng's getting married, I have the right to cry,” said Sooyoung, with a smile.

 

Aiya, you'll still see her, shikshin,” chuckled Kyuhyun, as he faced his gaze back onto the road. But there was something about her tears, and her expression that told him that there was something more to her tears than the reason she gave.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Sliding off of her bed, Sooyoung decided that it was finally time to wake up. She slowly made her way into the bathroom and into the shower. Half an hour later, she stepped out of her room, fully clothed and ready to start her day. As she neared the kitchen, Sooyoung could hear the excited giggles and exclamations of the other girls that she lived with.

 

Guys? What's going on-

 

Sooyoung, you look so gorgeous!” Tiffany interrupted her in midsentence, as she held open the magazine and it into Sooyoung's hands. Sooyoung's confused expression turned into realization when she saw the picture of herself and Yonghwa; him in a ravishing tux and her in the elegant and slim fitting wedding dress she wore, when they had gone for the photo ops. The one she was looking at was when the photographer had wanted Yonghwa to give Sooyoung a kiss on the cheek, while she smiled brightly, just like any blushing bride would do.

 

And don't forget Yonghwa! Just look at how y he looks,” giggled Yuri.

It's going to be hard to cover up any scandals with this,” Sunny sighed beside Sooyoung's shoulder.

Who cares?” Jessica rolled her eyes, “They look really, really good together.”

Aiya, when are you two actually going to get married, Soo?” came Hyoyeon's excited squeal.

 

Rolling her eyes, Sooyoung shut the magazine, “We're friends,” she said, with a small smile, “Nothing more.” She found it amusing that even her friends were beginning to think that her and Yonghwa were a couple. That was impossible.

 

Right. Whatever,” said Tiffany, only to met by similar remarks by the rest of the girls.

 

Shaking her head, and as her eyes ran across the girls in front of her, Sooyoung was suddenly aware that one of them wasn't present, “Where's Seohyun?” she asked, concern seeping into her expression.

 

They looked at each other as if expecting Seohyun to be there, “I don't know, she was here just a second ago,” said Yuri, with a confused tone.

 

She's probably in her room,” said Sooyoung, turning towards Seohyun's room, “I'll go check on her.”

 

Knowing that Sooyoung would be checking up on their maknae, the rest of the girls continued to look at the pictures of Sooyoung and Yonghwa.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Seohyun? Maknae, are you in here?”

 

Quickly blinking back the hot tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks, Seohyun sat up on her bed, and let a small smile overtake her lips.

 

There you are,” Sooyoung smiled brightly when her eyes landed on the younger girl, “What are you doing in here?” she moved to sit next to Seohyun, with a questioning look on her face.

 

Nothing,” Seohyun said, waving a hand to make the situation seem like it really was nothing, “I..I just felt a little tired, that's all.”

 

Raising an eyebrow, Sooyoung didn't choose to persist, “Alright,” she said, “you know if you want to talk about anything I'm here for you,” she smiled before giving Seohyun a hug, and then heading out of the room. But not before she turned her gaze back, “If you need me, I'm going to be at the practice room. SM decided that Yonghwa and I need to have more screen time together,” she said, irritably, before finally disappearing.

 

Seohyun's smile vanished as soon as Sooyoung did. She couldn't go to Sooyoung about what was on her mind, because the second she had layed her eyes on the magazine photo shoots of Yonghwa and Sooyoung in a bride and groom attire, all she felt was the sharp heat of jealously. Her heart was completely covered in it, and Seohyun could've swore that she even felt a tinge of hatred for her dongsaeng's relationship with Yonghwa. She tried reminding herself that Yonghwa was more than free to be with whomever he wanted to be with, but the jealously wouldn't go away. She tried to remind herself that she had Kyuhyun, but the jealously only grew.

 

Seohyun let the tears run down her face.

 

- - - - - - -

 

My Sooyoungie has finally grown up,” sniffed Siwon, as his eyes glanced at the wedding photo op.

Let's not get all mushy, hyung,” snorted Ryeowook, “She's not actually married to Yonghwa.”

Yeah, but don't tell me she doesn't look absolutely gorgeous as a bride,” he said, as Ryeowook took the magazine from Siwon's hands to look at Yonghwa and Sooyoung's intimate pose for the op.

You know who else would look absolutely gorgeous as a bride?” asked Ryeowook, “Your girlfriend!”

Yah! Sooyoung's like my sister, babo!” Siwon pushed Ryeowook, who accidentally dropped the magazine.

 

What are you two bickering about?” laughed Kyuhyun. He bent down to pick up the magazine, and when his eyes landed on the photo op, he froze. The first thing he noticed was how beautiful and flawless Sooyoung looked, much like on the day he had visited her when the photoshoot took place.

 

But he hadn't counted on Yonghwa to be the groom in the photoshoot. When he had gone to see Sooyoung, he hadn't seen Yonghwa in his tuxedo and only figured that he was giving Sooyoung a ride. Kyuhyun thought that Sooyoung was modeling wedding dresses alone. There was sharp sting of envy and he found himself incoherent for words.

 

See, even Kyuhyun agrees at how beautiful she looks,” Siwon continued his bickering, “and he's got a girlfriend, too!”

 

Ryeowook rolled his eyes, “Blank and undecipherable expressions don't always mean good things.”

 

Ignoring Ryeowook, Siwon turned to Kyuhyun, “Kyu, don't you agree with me that Sooyoung looks gorgeous?” he asked, folding his arms across his chest.

 

Looking up at Siwon and Ryeowook as if he'd just noticed them, Kyuhyun took a second to reply, “Y-Yeah, I do,” he said, forcing a simple smile on his lips, although what he really wanted to do was punch Yonghwa in the face, because hatred was all he felt for the older man at the moment.

 

He stuttered. That doesn't count.”

 

YAH!”

 

- - - - - - -

 

Yonghwa sighed as he paced back an forth in the practice room. His heart was a mess. He couldn't stop thinking about the sweet and alluring woman whom he had given his heart to a long time ago. He also couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she wasn't his. She could never be his.

 

His head snapped up when the door opened and Sooyoung rushed in, quickly dropping her bag to the side and walking up to him, “I'm sorry I'm late,” she said, “Seohyun wasn't feeling so good.”

 

Is she alright?” the question was automatic, that even Sooyoung noticed it.

 

She's fine,” she smiled at Yonghwa, “Ok, so lets just get this dance over with. I don't know why 2PM can't use some other pair for their new music video,” she grumbled.

 

Yonghwa laughed, taking Sooyoung's hand in his, “Haven't you heard? YongSoo is the pair these days. 2PM's music video is going to be much liked.”

 

Sooyoung couldn't help but laugh at Yonghwa's words, as the two began the very intimate and close slow dance that 2PM's choreographer had taught to them, for the new music video. There was no awkwardness between them, even as they danced, because they knew that they couldn't love each other.