Final

The Beauty of Envy

Do you love Sooyoung?”

 

Kyuhyun froze at her question. An internal conflict raged inside of him the second her question reached his ears. Did he love Sooyoung? No, he didn't. He loved Seohyun. He was her boyfriend. They were just going through a rough patch in their relationship, which they would recover over a small period of time. That was all....But when he held Sooyoung's hand in his, it felt completely different to when he held Seohyun's, and her presence was a much more warmer and comforting, wherein he found himself a tad bit awkward around Seohyun, nowadays. The second thing that came to mind was, why was she asking him this question?

 

N-no,” he finally answered, although he was still unsure, “No, of course not. You're my girlfriend, Seohyun, I love you,” Kyuhyun smiled. Yet, when he said the last three words to her, they came out of his lips without any strong meaning. As if he was telling his sister that he loved her. The realization struck him with surprise, and he couldn't do anything but look to Seohyun for her reaction.

 

But before she could even respond, the person in question entered the room, making Kyuhyun's heart jump in his chest. Sooyoung paused for a second, before clearing , “Seohyun...could I talk to you for a second?” she asked.

 

Seohyun smiled, “Of course, unnie,” before giving Kyuhyun a small, hesitant glance and then following Sooyoung out of her room.

 

Kyuhyun was left to his confused thoughts, and hesitant feelings.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Seohyun, I know what Yonghwa told you, and you can respond to that however you feel, just don't tell Kyuhyun about it. Please,” Sooyoung squeezed the younger girl's hand to emphasize the gravity of the situation, “He doesn't want to get in the way of your happiness.” After Kyuhyun had gone back to the Super Junior dorm, Sooyoung had put herself and Seohyun in her room, and opted to ask Seohyun not to tell Kyuhyun that Yonghwa confessed to her. Not only was she frustrated with the fact that Yonghwa would say such a thing, but Sooyoung couldn't help but mull in the fact that she was keeping Seohyun and Kyuhyun's relationship from falling apart.

 

The maknae stared into Sooyoung's eyes, before she spoke, “I promise I won't tell Kyuhyun, unnie,” she said, earning a relieved expression from Sooyoung.

 

I'm glad you understand,” said Sooyoung, before giving Seohyun a hug, and then exiting the room.

 

But even the innocent maknae had knack for lying when it was needed.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Yonghwa, I love you.” Her sincerity in the words she spoke was enough to tell him that this wasn't a joke. He was still speechless a minute after she spoke the words, causing her to laugh lightly, “Did you hear me? I love you.”

 

B-but, you're...Kyuhyun's girlfriend.” When Seohyun had called him and asked him to meet her outside a small ice cream shop, he had been very hesitant, but his curiosity had gotten the best of him. He didn't know what to expect after telling Seohyun that he was in love with her, and this was definitely not what he had in mind...although he liked it very much.

 

She sunk her head just a little, “I know, but I shouldn't be,” she looked up at Yonghwa, “I know that I love you,” she smiled, “At first I felt guilty for loving someone who wasn't mine,” her eyebrows creased as she said these words, but she looked back up at Yonghwa, “But then I realized that I couldn't force myself to love Kyuhyun just because we were going out and the population would be devastated if SeoKyu broke up,” she finished. Taking Yonghwa's hands into hers, she spoke, “I love you, and I've never been more certain of anything else in my life.”

 

Yonghwa's surprised expression slowly broke out into a smile, “You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to say those words.” He slowly closed the small distance between them and settled his lips against hers, for the first time. Seohyun's heart jumped in her chest and felt something that she never felt with Kyuhyun at any point of their relationship. It wasn't infatuation. It was love.

 

After the kiss had been broken, Seohyun blushed, the first blush in a long time. She cleared , “I guess I should also tell you that I know Sooyoung loves Kyuhyun,” she said.

 

His eyes widening, he spoke, “How did you find out about that?” he asked.

 

I heard her yelling at you outside my window after you confessed yesterday,” she giggled.

 

Does Kyuhyun love Sooyoung?” he asked.

 

I don't know, but we'll have to find out, won't we?” grinned Seohyun.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Unnie, you are taking waaaaay too long!” Seohyun whined, “Will you hurry up already?! We're going to be late!”

 

Seohyun, it's just a friendly dinner at Super Junior's dorm, not a party!” grumbled Sooyoung, “and why are you so pushy? Yuri's probably still adjusting her make up, go tell her to hurry up!” Sooyoung couldn't resist biting back a little. She was already irritated that Leeteuk called Taeyeon and invited all of the girls over for dinner, so that she would have to keep her emotions in check just to make sure no one would think something was bothering her.

 

Yuri's already in the car! You're the only slowpoke here.”

 

Sooyoung sighed looking in her reflection in the mirror of her bathroom, before exiting her room to cease Seohyun's incessant knocking on her door, “I'm done! I'm done! Stop fussing, so we can go,” said Sooyoung. Seohyun only smiled, took Sooyoung's hand and hurriedly guided her downstairs.

 

They arrived some few minutes later, because the Super Junior dorm was so close to the SNSD dorm, and when Ryeowook opened the door, they filed in excitedly. It was rare for them to spend time with each other, so when opportunity rose, they took it without hesitation.

 

Sooyoung quickly slipped into the kitchen, hoping to get away from Kyuhyun and Seohyun in general, by helping Ryeowook and Hankyung in the kitchen.

 

Hey oppa!” Sooyoung smiled at the Chinese member of Super Junior, as she walked into the kitchen, after Ryeowook.

 

Soo!” Hankyung gave her a quick hug, before going back to attend to his pot, “How come you're not out there with the others?”

 

I thought I'd help you guys out,” she answered quickly.

 

Hankyung smiled, “We're really fine in here,” he assured, earning an approving nod from Ryeowook.

 

Well, I insist,” said Sooyoung, as she stepped in to help, earning a chuckle from Hankyung, who began instructing her. Neither of them noticed the seething figure of Kyuhyun retreat from the entrance of the kitchen. With Sooyoung helping Hankyung and Ryeowook, dinner was served soon enough, and everyone was busy filling their plates, stuffing their faces and talking with each other.

 

So what exactly am I suppose to do?” Yonghwa turned to Seohyun. He had been invited over by Seohyun and the Super Junior boys were more than happy to have him over.

 

Ryeowook oppa told me exactly what happened when Kyuhyun found the wedding op of you and Sooyoung,” she spoke, “so lets push Kyuhyun a little further,” she winked.

 

Grinning, Yonghwa gently nudged Seohyun, “What happened to the innocent maknae?” he raised an eyebrow, “I think I might be corrupting your reputation,” he said.

 

Seohyun giggled, “Make him jealous, but don't go too far,” she said.

 

Don't worry about my heart, Seohyun,” he was suddenly very serious, “It will always belong to you.” He smiled raising her hand to his lips, and kissing it before leaving to put their plan in action.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Ugh. He really couldn't take this anymore. Everytime Yonghwa brushed up against Sooyoung, found a reason to be close to her, or generally acted as if he was her boyfriend, Kyuhyun wanted to yell out at him.

 

The jealously monster was really eating him up. First it was with Hankyung in the kitchen, and now with Yonghwa. He couldn't see Sooyoung with any other guy, and took it as an offense if he did. Sure, Sooyoung was just helping Hankyung in the kitchen and everything was relatively innocent, but Yonghwa was pushing it. All throughout the dinner, he had to watch them together and he was ticking closer and closer to insanity. Not once did he look over at Seohyun to see how she was doing.

 

When Seohyun asked him if he loved Sooyoung his initial response was no, because he was built into the fact that he was dating Seohyun and he wanted to remember the months they were in love. But as he thought it through, he remembered his friendship with Sooyoung, which existed ever since SNSD debuted. It had much more meaning than his relationship with Seohyun. And now when he saw Yonghwa with Sooyoung, he knew that he loved her.

 

The dinner was finished, and now, everyone was just doing what they wanted to do. Yuri, Yoona, Siwon and Kibum were talking in one corner, while Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, Sunny and Tiffany were playing a game in another. Leeteuk and Taeyeon were sitting on one of the sofas, animatedly talking to Jessica, Heechul and Donghae.

 

Kyuhyun was trying very hard to listen to the conversation Hankyung, Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, Seohyun, Yonghwa, Sooyoung and himself were in. His hand had slipped into his pocket where he kept the tiny box that held the ring he was suppose to propose to Seohyun with. An inaudible sigh escaped his lips, and his eyebrows creased once more, when he caught sight of Yonghwa trying to slip his hand into Sooyoung's. He was about ready to burst, when he heard Seohyun's voice.

 

You guys are soooo adorable!” she said, pushing Sooyoung closer to Yonghwa, who expertly slipped a hand around her. It seemed that one comment had gotten the entire room's attention.

 

Yah, tell us, are you two going out already?!”

You don't believe it? Look how close they are too each other!”

Aww, Seobaby was right, they are adorable!”

Come on then Yonghwa, give our shikshin a kiss!”

 

The last comment, combined with Yonghwa's grin seemed to be just about enough for him.

 

SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!” Kyuhyun suddenly bursted, making the room sink into sudden silence as everyone's eyes turned to him, shocked.

 

Oppa....?” It was Seohyun who spoke up first, her word enough to ask what was going on with him. Instead of answering, Kyuhyun shook his head, and willed his nerves to calm down, before turning around and walking out of the dorm and out into the cold night air.

 

- - - - - - -

 

It confused her that Seohyun was acting so cheerful and that Yonghwa was purposely following her everywhere she went, as well as acting much more intimate than she expected. But nothing surprised her more than Kyuhyun's sudden outburst, causing everyone to become silent about the remarks they were aiming towards her and Yonghwa.

 

Recovering from her shock when Kyuhyun had left and the room slipped into a buzz of murmurs, Sooyoung sighed, and rushed out the door, to see Kyuhyun pacing a few steps away from the door.

 

Cho Kyuhyun! What was that for?” she asked, her eyes on him.

 

S-Sooyoung?” he asked surprised, then sighed, “You...wouldn't understand.”

 

Try me,” she folded her arms, and stood firmly on her spot.

 

Trust me, you don't want to know what's on my mind.”

 

Since when did I lose your trust? I thought we were best friends.”

 

We are! I just don't think you'd like what I have to say.”

 

It doesn't matter if I like it or not. I'd just like to know why you suddenly shouted and scared everyone in that room! It's not too much to ask for, you know!”

 

Fine!” Kyuhyun sighed in frustration, “The reason why I shouted and scared everyone in that room is because I love you, Sooyoung. I love you! Saranghae!”

 

Sooyoung stood, completely frozen. Completely shocked. The seconds passed by and the silence slowly turned to discomfort.

 

Soo...please say something.”

 

You're right, I don't like what you have to say,” she finally responded, making Kyuhyun's heart drop.

 

What..? Why?”

 

Have you forgotten about Seohyun?”

 

No..I-

 

You don't have to worry about, Seohyun,” Yonghwa and Seohyun suddenly walked out of the dorm, their hands laced together, “Turns out she shares what I feel for her,” he smiled at Seohyun, who squeezed his hand in turn.

 

You lied to me, Kyuhyun,” she said, “You lied to me when you told me you didn't love Sooyoung.”

 

I hope you can accept my apology.”

 

Hmmm...apology accepted oppa,” she smiled.

 

Kyuhyun turned back to Sooyoung, who was looking up at him with an expression he couldn't decipher, “I've been waiting so long for this to happen...and now that it's happening I can't believe that its real.”

 

The evil maknae stepped forward, lifting a hand to caress her cheek, “Believe it, because my love for you is real,” he whispered, leaning forward to press a kiss to her lips lightly. Sooyoung responded almost immediately, wrapping her arms around his neck, while she felt his arms around her waist. Kyuhyun loved her. The feeling of receiving that love could not be compared with.

 

His heart was racing, and it felt as if it would burst, because the woman he loved was in his arms.

 

- - - - - - -

 

3 Year Later...

 

Seohwa's footsteps sounded throughout the hallway as procession of people tried to chase her down, “Seohwa! Wait! Give that back!” Yonghwa's voice sounded over the crowd, as a large number of Super Junior and SNSD members tried to catch his daughter.

 

The three year old only giggled and continued to run, the stolen object held tightly in her hand. She suddenly raced into the living room where Sooyoung, Seohyun and Kyuhyun were sitting, and ran into Sooyoung's arms, who stood up and caught her willingly.

 

The crowd suddenly stopped, catching their breath, “Finally!” Yonghwa said.

 

Sooyoung laughed, “Were you giving your appa a hard time?” she looked at Seohwa and noticed that her fist was curled around an object.

 

Uncle Kyu wanted me to give this to you,” she giggled, her cute voice making Sooyoung smile.

 

He did?” Sooyoung threw a glance at Kyuhyun who was smiling quite widely. Slowly uncurling Seohwa's fist, Sooyoung's gaze was met by the sight of a ring. It was the same ring she had helped Kyuhyun pick out for Seohyun so many years ago. She looked at Kyuhyun, “Oppa, this ring...”

 

Kyuhyun had stood up, “I never told you did I? Before I asked you to pick out a ring for Seohyun, I ran across this ring and it reminded me of you. It was beautiful without the gigantic diamond. It shined on its own. When you picked it out amongst all the other rings, I was confused. Now I know what to do with it.”

 

He gently took the ring from Seohwa's hand and knelt in front of Sooyoung, while the whole entire room watched, “Choi Sooyoung, will you marry me?”

 

It didn't take a second for Sooyoung to respond, a smile encasing her lips, “Yes! Yes, of course!”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled, sliding the ring onto her finger and kissed Sooyoung on her lips. Their romantic moment, however, was interrupted.

 

Yah! Not in front of my daughter!” Yonghwa snatched a giggling Seohwa from Sooyoung's arms, while Seohyun stood up to hug Sooyoung tightly, “Don't mind him. He's just being an overprotective dad. I'm sure you'll understand, oppa, when you and Sooyoung have children of your own.”

 

Sooyoung blushed. Kyuhyun grinned. They couldn't wait.