Chapter 9

Love Is...

You sat on the couch with Yongguk as he held Minjun until Catalina came home. You quickly told her everything and she dashed back out of the apartment. She came back about 15 minutes later with a bag from the drugstore.
"Here we are." she said and dug the paternity test out of it. "You know the thing about Minjun being born early, that's completely normal. Most pregnancies are only 36 or 38 weeks long now."
You took a cotton swap and wiped the inside of your son's cheek. "I know but he had a good point."
Then you noticed the way Yongguk's shoulders drooped.
"I just mean..." you quickly said.
He shook his head. "It's okay. It's true after all." Then he grabbed the other cotton swap and did his own cheek.
Catalina filled out the form and then sealed everything in the envelope. "Alright. I'll put it in the mail first thing tomorrow morning. Should get the results in about a week as long as they're not backed up."
Yongguk stayed for a little while long before reluctantly saying he had to leave. He held Minjun one last time and you watched as he hesitantly kissed the boy's head. Then he passed the baby to you with a sad smile. You didn't say anything though and then Yongguk left.

You sat down on the couch and let out a heavy sigh.
"Penny for your thoughts?" Catalina asked as she set down a mug of tea on the coffee table for you.
You looked down at Minjun in your arms and shook your head. "If only I knew." Then you swallowed and took a deep breath. "What about the thing Woosung said?"
She raised her eyebrows at you. "You're honestly thinking of going back to that ?"
"No." you told her. "At least... not for me."
"We're doing good with Minjun without him."
You shook your head. "I can't keep relying on you and Himchan to help raise him."
"Honey, we're family. That's what family does." she informed you.
"But it's unfair to you both." you insisted. "You don't have to be responsible for him. You have your own lives."
"We don't mind." she firmly said.
You swallowed and shook your head again. "Imagine if Woosung was his dad though. Minjun will have everything. I could put him daycare. Send him to the best schools."
"And if Yongguk's the father?"
You your lips nervously. "Woosung made it clear. All I have to do is say Minjun is his."
"You would honestly do that to Yongguk?" she questioned in surprise.
You gave her a pleading look. "He has his own life too. He needs to finish school. How can I make him give all that up?"
She stared at you thoughtfully for a while before slowly nodding. "I see your point but you didn't ask for this either. And Yongguk did promise you that'll he would go to school. If there's one thing you've learned about him by now, he keeps his word." She put a hand on your shoulder. "And he promised to take care of Minjun."
"I know." You looked down at Minjun sleeping in your arms. "I... I just... have a lot to think about."

Which you did as the days went by. Thinking about what be best for everywhere and for Minjun. Imagining what life would be like depending on the choice you made. The only thing you wanted was the best for your son.
A knock on the door broke you out of your thoughts one day and you answered it. Yongguk was standing there, nervously fidgeting with a stuff animal in his hands.
"Yongguk." you said in surprise.
He looked sheepishly at you. "Hey. I... I was... Can I..." He stopped and held the toy up.
You nodded your head and let him in the apartment. At that moment a cry came from the bedroom.
"Perfect timing." you told Yongguk and went to get Minjun out of his crib.
You carried him into the living room where Yongguk was still awkwardly standing.
"Sit." you offered and indicated the couch.
"Th-thanks." he stuttered and sat down.
You sat down next to him and then passed him Minjun. As he took the boy in his arms, you noticed the way his eyes lit up and the smile forming on his face.
"Hey little man." Yongguk said to Minjun. "Have you been good for mommy?"
You chuckled slightly at his cuteness and Yongguk blushed. Then he grabbed the stuffed animal and held it up for Minjun.
"I... I want you to have this. His name is Tigger. He was my friend growing up and... he'll be a good friend to you as you grow up."
You quickly looked away and rapidly blinked your eyes as they watered, fighting against the tears. When you looked back, you watched as Minjun grabbed the toy and shook it as Yongguk chuckled.
"Yongguk." He turned to you. "Can I... ask you something?"
You noticed him tense and then bit his lip before nodding.
"Would you... let Woosung raise him?"
His eyes widened. "Did you... Is he or...
"No." you quickly said, shaking your head. "Not yet. I just... If.... I...." You let out a breath and looked down while squeezing your eyes closed tightly. Then you felt a hand gently touch your shoulder. You looked back up at Yongguk and the sad look he was giving you.
"I know you have a choice to make and I know... I know I'm not Woosung. I'll never be able to give Minjun what he can offer. And I only want the best for him too." Then he swallowed and took a deep breath. "Obviously I want him to be mine but... I want you to know, whatever that paper says, I don't care. I promised to take care of him and I'll do my best."
You closed your eyes and felt a single tear escape. Then it being softly wiped away. You took a shaky breath and opened your eyes. "Do you want to stay a while? For dinner?" you asked him. "That way you can spend time with Minjun."
He nodded his head with a shy smile. "I'd really like that."

For the rest of the day, you let Yongguk do everything for Minjun. Giving him every bottle and barely ever putting him down. You cooked dinner and when Catalina came home, the three of you sat down at the table like old times.
Then it grew late and you noticed how hard it was for Yongguk to finally relinquish Minjun. Catalina took him and carried him in to the bedroom while you walked Yongguk to the front door.
"Thank you." he said. "For tonight."
"Of course." you replied.
"Oh!" he quickly exclaimed and reached in to his pocket. "Here. I, uh... This..." He the wad of cash out to you.
Instead of grabbing it, you glared at him. "Yongguk! You said..."
"It's a only a part time job." he hurriedly told you. "Just a few hours on the weekend. That's all."
You sighed and shook your head. Then he grabbed your hand and forced you to take the money.
"I... I can't." you told him.
He held your hand with both of his and looked you in the eyes. "Please. For Minjun."
You pressed your lips together and then swallowed before slowly nodding. "Alright. I'll buy formula with it."
"The one for sensitive stomachs." he reminded you.
"Right. I promise." you told him.