Chapter 5

Love Is...

You followed the doctor's orders and stayed off you feet as much as possible. Catalina got a second job to take care of the bills and even Himchan helped out when he could. The two of them had called everyone they could think of that was at the party but nobody remembered or knew who the guy was. You tried to reach Woosung, calling him and texting him. But he never budged and eventually stopped taking your calls.
Catalina brought home brochures and pamphlets from adoption agencies, urging you to at least look at them. All you could think of was Woosung though and how he had thrown you aside once more. Quite literally this time. Even after telling you that he loved you. Was that love?
Your stomach finally swelled as your friends made sure you ate well and you felt the life growing inside you. Especially the day you felt yourself get kicked and you screamed for Catalina. She ran in, thinking the worse, only to have you force her hand on your belly. She felt the kicking and squealed with you happily. Then on one of your checkups, you were given the news. It was a baby boy.
Then you set Catalina and Himchan down to tell them your decision. You wanted to keep him.
"Are you sure?" Catalina questioned. "It's a huge responsibility."
"I know it is." you replied and placed a hand on your stomach as you felt him move. "I know I have a lot of growing up to do as well which is why I'm asking the two of you. Will you help me with this?"
They shared a look before smiling at you. "Of course."
Himchan placed a hand on your stomach and brought his face closer. "Uncle Himchan will spoil you and teach you how to pick up girls."
You smacked his arm and the three of you laughed.

Himchan threw a baby shower for you a couple of weeks before your due date. You thanked everyone for the baby clothes and supplies while subjecting yourself to the games. When everyone had to guess how many squares of toilet paper was needed to wrap around you, you glared hard at Himchan when he said 30.
Then a couple days later, Catalina took you to the hospital. Himchan arrived just in time and nervously waited outside the room while Catalina held your hand. Then she let go so you could hold your son in your arms and Himchan rushed into the room.
"He looks a lot like you." he commented.
"You think so?" you asked with a smile as you stared down at the little bundle in your arms.
"Absolutely." Catalina agreed. "Except his chin. Not quite like yours."
"No." you said. "Must be his father's." Then you felt felt a hand on your shoulder.
Himchan gave you a serious look. "As his uncle, I'll do my best to fill that role for him and be a good male role model."
"Ugh. Pass."
His face fell while you gave him a teasing smile and Catalina laughed hard.
"Ha ha." he replied before chuckling.
"Have you decided on a name?" asked Catalina.
You looked down at your baby boy, feeling so much love in your heart. "Minjun."

The first couple of weeks home from the hospital, you stayed home and relaxed. Or at least relaxed the best you could with a newborn. Whenever Catalina or Himchan weren't working, they'd help take care of him and Himchan even slept on the couch a few times.
Then you started working again and fell in to a steady routine. Catalina drew up a schedule for babysitting for the three of you so you only had to hire a babysitter a couple days a week to save money. Which you needed for diapers and formula when you weren't producing enough milk.
"Don't worry about that." Catalina told you one day as you arrived home from grocery shopping. "Happens all the time. You're still a good mother."
"I'm sorry too. And you have no idea how grateful I am for the help." you said as you carried Minjun in to the apartment.
"We're family." she insisted with a smile before disappearing to get the rest of the groceries out of the car.
You picked up your son from the car seat when he started fussing and rocked him a little. Then you heard Catalina come back in.
"Guess what I found." she amusingly said.
You turned and saw Yongguk carrying a couple of the bags. "Uh... hi." he said with a small blush. Then he looked at Minjun curiously.
"Hey. I didn't know you were back." you greeted.
"Uh... yeah." he said. "Just yesterday."
"He was just passing by and offered to help carry the bags." she told you before taking the bags from Yongguk. "We've had a surprise ourselves as you can see."
He blinked and stared at Minjun. "He's..."
"My son." you informed him.
"Oh." he uttered. "Uh... Woosung must... um... be..."
"He's not the father." Catalina said.
"He's... not?" Yongguk asked her in disbelief. "Then..."
You gave her a pointed look but she ignored you. "Don't know. He was a one-night stand at a party we had and she doesn't remember who it was." She made her way to the front door again. "Got to go to work. See you later tonight." Then she left you with Yongguk.
This time he stared at you in shock. "You don't... remember?"
Woosung's words came back to you then, ''. You instantly became a bit defensive. "It was my choice. I can choose who I want to sleep with and who I don't."
He blinked in surprise. "Oh no. No. I didn't... I don't mean... Uh... I... It's just..."
"Thanks for carrying the bags but I have to get ready for work too." you told him dismissively.
You phone rang then and you turned away from him to answer it. Then your heart sped up as you panicked when the babysitter informed you they couldn't sit for you today. You hung up and cursed as Minjun started crying. Himchan was working as well so he couldn't babysit.
"Something wrong?"
You looked at Yongguk and sighed. "I only get to miss work today since the babysitter canceled. Again though, thanks for the help. See you around." You muttered to yourself in frustration as you laid Minjun's blanket on the floor before laying him down. Then you went into the kitchen and quickly prepared a bottle. When you came back out to the living room, you came to a halt. "What are you doing?"
Yongguk was still standing there and looking down at Minjun. "Let me babysit." he said to you.
"Excuse me?" you questioned.
"I've babysat before." he stated. "I know how to take care of babies."
You sighed. "Yongguk, it's a sweet offer but no. We're not exactly friends and I don't really know you."
"But you know Himchan and I'm friends with him." he argued. Then he quietly added, "And we can be friends."
You stared at him in surprise and he took that opportunity to take the bottle from you. Then he carefully picked Minjun up and stared feeding the hungry baby.
"You can call or text Himchan." he told you as you watched him. "He can vouch for me and I know you'll take him seriously."
You took a couple deep breaths as you debated with yourself. Yeah you didn't know him that well but enough to know he wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your child. You swallowed hard and gave Yongguk a serious look. "This is my son we're talking about."
"I'll take care of him." he told you, just as seriously. "I promise."

As soon as your shift was over, you hurried home as fast as you could. You quickly opened the front door and came to a halt. Minjun was sleeping on his blanket on the floor and Yongguk was laying beside him as he watched tv.
"Hey." he quietly greeted when he saw you and stood up. "He just fell asleep about 15 minutes ago."
You stared at Minjun and let out the breath you had been holding.
"I promised I'd take care of him." Yongguk said, noticing your relief.
You nodded your head slightly and took a deep breath. "Yes you did. I'm sorry. I just..."
He shrugged his shoulders as he looked down. "It's okay." he meekly said and put his hands in his pockets.
There was that lost puppy similarity again and you sighed.
"Listen." he said and nervously his lips. "Since... Well... I... Um... It... Uh..."
'Oh no don't confess. Please don't confess.' you silently begged in your head. "You should get going." you blurted out, interrupting him. "You probably have school tomorrow."
He blinked at you in surprise and then you saw his shoulders drop. "Yeah... I should... um...." Then he walked past you and was out the door.
You looked down at Minjun again and then mentally smacked yourself before hurrying out the door. "Yongguk."
He stopped real quick and turned to face you, giving you a hopeful look.
"Thank you very much for your help." you told him, being nice. "And if I need to, can I ask you to babysit again?"
He stared at you as his mouth dropped open. "Really?" Then he shook his head and brightly smiled. "I mean, yes. Yes. Of course. Anytime."
The two of you exchanged numbers and you told him the days that you needed a babysitter for. He assured you repeatedly that it wouldn't interfere with his schooling if you happened to need him. Then you both said your goodbyes and you couldn't help but feel a small sense of relief, knowing you had a backup plan.