Chapter 7

Love Is...

You became even better friends as this went on. You would make him dinner when he babysat and sometimes even made him ramen when he confessed it was his favorite. He was still a bit awkward and shy around you but you found common ground with Minjun. Fussing over him. He took very good care of your baby boy.
Then one day as you were about to open the mailbox, you received a text message. You glanced at your phone and inhaled sharply. It was from Woosung. 'I miss you.'
You stared at the screen in disbelief, having not heard from him in so long. Your heart tore in two different directions, telling you that you just might not be completely over him. You shook your head and decided to worry about it later. Avoid him for now. Then you grabbed the mail and noticed the strange envelope on top. It was blank.
You looked over it curiously before carefully ripping it open. Then you gasped when you saw the money inside it. You stared at it in surprise before closing your eyes. Woosung did always leave gifts when courting you back. Guess you're only going to be able to avoid him for a little while.
Sighing, you went in to your apartment and found Catalina in the kitchen as she was setting up a crockpot meal.
"Should be done just about the time I get home." she informed you.
"I could have cooked something." you told her. Then you opened your mouth to tell her about Woosung.
"It'll give you some time to spend with Yongguk." she stated with a mischievous smile.
You stared at her before groaning and rolling your eyes. "Catalina." you whined.
"Don't give me that attitude." she warned. Then she let out a breath and crossed her arms. "Would you just look at him? Really look at him?"
"I don't have time for a relationship. Minjun.."
"And you don't think Minjun is important to Yongguk?" she questioned. "You've seen them together. That man is crazy over your son."
You sat down at the table, setting the mail aside, and sighed as she sat down with you.
"I swear if this is about Woosung..."
You groaned again.
"I know you loved him but take a hard look at that relationship. He was all confidence and charm but as soon as something didn't go his way, he threw a tantrum. Even when he found out he wasn't the father. Which was after he said he loved you and was excited to be a dad." She reached over the table to clasp your hands. "Yongguk doesn't even care that he's not the father. He still takes good care of Minjun and he's just as crazy about you as ever. He genuinely cares about you."
You swallowed and squeezed her hands, making her smile.
"Take some time and think about, okay?"
"Okay." you agreed.
"Thank you." Then she stood up. "I need to get going."
"Have a good day at work." you offered as she left.
When you heard the front door close, you grabbed the mail and found the envelope of money. You took the cash out of it before throwing the envelope away. Hiding the evidence.

You did as agreed and observed Yongguk. Not that you didn't already notice how much he fawned over Minjun or how much he still blushed and stuttered with you. And how much it affected you.
Yet exactly a week later you found another unmarked envelope of money in the mailbox. It wasn't Woosung's usual type of gifts and you wondered how many more envelopes you'd receive before seeing him. Did you want to see him?
Then another week went by and you hesitantly checked the mail. Your heart skipped a beat when you didn't find an envelope. He always did deliver the last gift in person. And it probably would be tonight after work so he would know you were home.
Mindlessly, you made your way back to your apartment and sat heavily down on the couch.
"What's wrong?"
You looked up at Catalina and nervously your lips, deciding to come clean. "Woosung's been leaving me gifts."
Her eyes widened in surprise before she let out a loud groan. "Damn it!"
"He's been.."
"I thought I was doing good throwing away those stupid boxes before you saw them."
You jerked in surprise. "Wait... what??"
She sighed. "Every morning there's been a box of chocolate outside our door and I wake up before you to throw them away so you wouldn't see them."
"Really?" you questioned in disbelief.
She gave you a pleading look. "Please, please, please! Do not go back to him. You don't need his crap in your life."
You wordlessly nodded, your mind spinning at that information. He was leaving two gifts? Maybe one for you and one for Minjun. Putting the money in the mailbox so there wasn't a chance for it to get stolen. Does this mean he accepted Minjun?
You barely acknowledged Catalina as she said goodbye and left for work. Then you got ready as well before Yongguk arrived.
"Hey." he greeted with a smile before frowning. "Are you okay?"
"Uh, yeah." you said forcing a small smile on your face.
"Really?" he asked and you noted the concern in his voice.
"Really." you assured him. Then you kissed Minjun before hurrying out the door.

When you got home from work, you were momentarily surprised to find the living room empty. Then you heard Yongguk's voice coming from the kitchen. Biting your lip, you quietly made your way over to hear him better.
"Here we go little man. Open wide." You watched as he gave the bottle to Minjun and then stood there with a smile. "Want to know a secret? I really like your mommy." You inhaled sharply but didn't make any noise. "She doesn't like me though. I think she finds me more annoying than anything. Can't blame her though. I turn in to a stuttering idiot around her. But can you blame me? She's... everything. Beautiful. Smart. Caring." Then he sighed. "Truth is, I've given up a while ago. I'm not good enough for her. I'm not Woosung. I'm not charming like him and I don't own a fancy suit." Your heart twinged a little at the despair in his voice. "But it's okay. When you care about someone, you want them to be happy. Even if it's not with you. Make sure you remember that as you grow up. I'm just happy she's finally allowed me to be her friend."
You closed your eyes and swallowed before taking a step in to the kitchen. "Yongguk."
He looked over real fast and stared in shock as he turned dark red. "Uh... Did... I... Uh... Um..."
"I heard everything." you said and took a few steps closer to him. "I'm sorry."
He looked down as you approached and nervously his lips. "You weren't suppose to hear that." he quietly said.
You placed a hand on his arm. "But it's true isn't it? All of it. I knew you liked me but I dismissed you all the time. Never gave you a chance to even be my friend."
"It's okay." he mumbled.
"No it's not. I was a . Even if I wasn't interested, I shouldn't have treated you that way."
He set the now empty bottle on the counter and shifted Minjun to burp him. "Really. It's okay."
"Yongguk." you chided.
"I should go." he quickly said and hurried past you into the living room.
You were momentarily frozen in surprise before hurrying after him. He was just laying Minjun down on his plush blanket and then reached for his backpack.
"Yongguk wait." you said and grabbed his arm.
He pulled away. "No. It's fine. I need to.."
You didn't let him finish as you threw your arms around him. He inhaled sharply as he tensed and stared at you in shock.
"I'm sorry Yongguk." you sincerely told him and felt your heart flutter. "I'm... I'm sorry. That I wasn't interested. Before." Then you leaned in, closing your eyes and gently pressing your lips against his. Time moved slowly. Then you felt him pull away.
"Don't."
You opened your eyes and was surprised to see the single tear roll down his face.
"Don't." he repeated as his voice cracked. "I... I don't..."
"Yongguk." you said and cupped his face with your hands.
"It was me."
You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. "What? I..." Then you noticed the way his eyes flickered to the floor. You looked down at Minjun and then gasped. Your hands covered your mouth as you took a couple steps back.
"I'm sorry." he quickly said as a few more tears fell. "I wanted to tell, I was going to tell you. But then you were being so nice and actually talking to me and I..."
You closed your eyes and felt them water. Just like Himchan said, once someone told you what happened you remembered everything about that night. The surprise on his face when you grabbed him and kissed him. The way he his hands lightly brushed over your skin. Then the look he gave you as he hovered over you before leaning down, lovingly kissing you again.
Then you felt his hand on your arm. You smacked it away and looked at him. "Get out."
His eyes widened in panic as he looked back and forth between you and Minjun. "No. Please. You can't. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please."
"I said get out!" you yelled.
He squeezed the handles of his backpack tightly and went to turn away but stopped. Then he slowly ped the front pocket and reached in. He pulled out an unmarked envelope and set it on the coffee table.
You let out a strangled gasp and stared at it in shock for a moment. When you looked back up at him, he wasn't looking at you though. Instead he was staring down at Minjun, love and pain in his eyes. Then he quickly turned and hurried out the front door. Your legs gave out and you sat on the floor as you cried.