Chapter 8

Love Is...

Catalina came home and found you on the floor still. She held you tightly as you told her about everything and was so shocked to hear Yongguk was the mystery guy. Even more so after you told her that you kissed him.
"I keep giving you all this advice and it's actually really bad." she said.
"Nothing's your fault." you told her. "I made all those choices myself."
Minjun started crying then and you wiped your tears away. He needed you.
Himchan apologized as well when he found out and repeatedly swore he didn't know. You told him the same thing, you didn't blame him at all. You called around for recommendations on babysitters and found a new one. Reluctantly handing Minjun off to someone else besides Yongguk as the week dragged gloomily by.

Then you checked the mail and clutched the unmarked envelope in your hands.
You shuffled into to your apartment and wordlessly showed the envelope to Catalina. She opened it and looked at the money.
"He's trying really hard isn't he." she mused.
You were looking at the cash curiously though. "There's more there then the last ones."
"Really?" she questioned. "Maybe he picked up a second job.?"
"But his schooling." you uttered.
She sighed. "I understand how you feel betrayed by him. He should have been honest but..."
You looked up at her and she raised her eyebrows at you. Then you quickly grabbed your phone and called Yongguk but it went straight to voicemail. You hung up and called Himchan instead.
"Hello."
"Where's Yongguk?"
"Hi to you to."
"Himchan."
He sighed. "Not sure. He hasn't exactly talked to me since..."
You closed your eyes and swallowed. "I really need to talk to him."
"Let me call around."
You waited impatiently and paced around the living room. Finally your phone rang and you picked up right away. Himchan told you were Yongguk was working and confirmed your suspicion. He started his second job when you found out his secret. He's been skipping classes to work and his grades have been slipping as a result. Leaving Minjun with Catalina, you quickly went to see him.

You pulled up to the restaurant and parked just as you saw a familiar figure come out the back door. He leaned against the wall and closed his eyes as you walked over.
"Yongguk."
He jerked upright and stared at you in surprise. "Wha.. What... are you..."
"What are you doing?" you questioned him instead.
He blushed slightly before swallowing and looking down.
"It's more money than before."
He shrugged his shoulders. "Use it to pay for a babysitter." he quietly mumbled.
You took a deep breath before shaking your head. "No Yongguk. Stop this."
"No." he quickly said, looking you in the eyes. "I just can't... I have to..."
"I want you to go school." you told him. "I want you to get good grades and graduate." Then you your lips. "And... I want you to see him."
He inhaled sharply and blinked in surprise. Then he pressed his lips together and swallowed as he looked away. When he looked back at you, his eyes were watering a little. "I.. I really... want... to." he said.
A small smile formed on your face and you nodded. "Alright."
"Yongguk, break's over."
You both jumped slightly and quickly looked over at his co-worker.
"I'll be right in." Yongguk said before turning back to you. "I'm really am sorry." he sincerely said. "About everything."
"I know." you told him and grabbed his hand. "Me too."
He squeezed your hand in reply before letting go and turning to go inside. Then you stopped him really quick. "School." you reiterated.
He quickly nodded his head. "I will. Promise."

After you came home from work that night, you nervously waited for Yongguk to come over. Then when there was a knock on the front door and you quickly answered it.
"Um... hi." he awkwardly said.
"Hi." you greeted and moved aside for him to come in.
Instantly his eyes went to Minjun but he hesitated while glancing at you. You nodded your head and then he quickly closed the distance, picking Minjun up in his arms.
"Hey little man. How have you been?" he cooed and a smile formed on his face.
You couldn't help but smile as well as you watched them. Then frowned when another knock came from the front door. You went over to answer it and was shocked as Woosung stood before you.
"Why the surprised look?" he teased and brushed past you to walk into the apartment. "Didn't you get my note?"
You closed the door and shook your head, glancing unsurely at Yongguk who seemed just as surprised. "Uh, no. I wasn't expecting you. At all."
Woosung placed the box of chocolates on the coffee table. "Well it's all good now. I'm here." Then he acknowledged Yongguk. "You must be the babysitter. That's good. How about you stay a little later so I can take my beautiful woman out for dinner?" He turned to you and flashed a charming smile as he grabbed your hands.
You stared at him for a moment before gently pulling your hands away. "I... He... He's not..."
"I'm the father."
You looked over at Yongguk, surprised by the tone in his voice and the way he was looking at Woosung.
Woosung gave him an appraising look before raising an eyebrow at you. "This is the guy? Seriously?"
You blushed slightly as your mouth opened and closed silently. Then you swallowed and your lips. "Yes. He's... the guy."
"Minjun's father." Yongguk said.
"Minjun, huh?" Woosung commented and reached to touch the boy.
Instead Yongguk pressed Minjun closer to him and took a step back.
Woosung let out an amused chuckle. "Not necessarily." he said and then turned to you. "I've been doing a lot of thinking. He could be mine."
Your mouth dropped open. "But... You said... I was..."
"You said so yourself, it was an unusual pregnancy." he told you. "You weren't gaining weight and maybe neither did he as a result. Maybe he was actually 6 months and just underdeveloped which is why the doctor only thought you were 5 months a long."
"What?" Yongguk exclaimed and looked at you, panicked. "No. No. He's mine. Say he's mine."
You looked down at Minjun as your mind reeled. Then you whispered, "He was born early."
Yongguk's face fell and then he stared down at Minjun.
Woosung smirked. "Wouldn't be early if I am right." Then he grabbed you and turned you to face him. "And if you say I am right, that I'm the father, you know what I can do for Minjun."
You stared at him in shock, understanding what he was hinting at.
He reached up and caressed your cheek with his fingers. "This is a lot to process. Take some time to think about it." Then he gave you a serious look. "Think about what's best for your son." He kissed your forehead before smiling at you. "I love you." Then he was out the door.

You stood there for a moment, taking several deep breaths before turning to look at Yongguk. He was looking down at Minjun as a few tears rolled down his cheeks.
"Yongguk." you quietly said.
He looked up at you with a pleading look. "Say he's mine. He's my son. Please."
You slowly shook your head. "I... I don't know."
His eyes widened in panic. "No. No. I... I can provide for him. I'll quit school. I'll work hard. I'll.."
"No." you said, cutting him off. "You promised you'll keep going to school. I..."
"You can't take him from me!"
You jumped in surprise and stared at him in shock.
He closed his eyes and cried harder as Minjun started crying. "I'm sorry." he choked out, rocking the baby, and then looked at you. "I'm so sorry but... Please. Don't take him from me again." he begged.
"Yongguk." you whined as you felt your heart break. Closing your eyes, you started crying as well.
Then you felt an arm around your shoulders before he pressed his head against yours. You opened your eyes to see Yongguk holding Minjun in one arm and you in the other.
"I'm sorry." he quietly said. "Can... Can I... do a... paternity test. At least. Please."
You swallowed hard. "Yes. And stay for a while." you said and looked him in the eyes. "Spend some time with him."
He let out a shaky breath before giving a tiny, grateful smile. "Thank you."