Five

Cinderella? Or Maybe Not

 

Ever since Yoona knew that she and Luhan went to the same university, she has been careful to not bump into him. For weeks she had been avoiding him. When she catches a glimpse of Luhan, Yoona would turn on her heels and walk the other way.
 
One thing Yoona noticed as she's avoiding Luhan was that she always saw him with different girls. Once, she saw him walking with a girl on the hallways with his arms slung on her shoulders and by lunchtime he was eating alone with a different girl. 'Typical Casanova' Yoona thought that day, but she couldn't care less about him.
 
But even though she was able to avoid him on campus, she couldn't avoid him at the bakery. Every time it was Yoona's shift, Luhan would come there. Sometimes she was able to avoid him when she helps at the kitchen, but sometimes she wasn't able to. Luhan would always start a conversation which Yoona would reply shortly and ending the conversation. Luhan didn't give up though, he would always strike a conversation every time they met.
 
Yoona was on her way back to her apartment. It was Friday and after a full day of class she just wants to relax. Fortunately she doesn't have a shift on Friday and Saturday. Just when Yoona entered her apartment, her cellphone rang. It was her mom.
 
"Yoona, are you free tonight?" Her mom asked.
 
"Neh Umma, I'm free, what's wrong?"
 
"Let's have dinner together, neh?"
 
"Sure."
 
"Alright, we'll pick you up at 6. Wear something nice, see you dear."
 
"Okay, see you later." Yoona said and she hung up. Yoon looked at the time, it was still 3.30 PM so she decided to take a nap first.
 
Yoona woke up at 4.30 PM and took a shower. By 5.30 PM Yoona was already dressed in a white blouse, a black skirt and a pair of ballet flats. At 6 PM her mom called saying that they were already downstairs.
 
"Where are we having dinner?" Yoona asked after they finished talking.
 
"We're almost there." Her mom answered. Yoona looked out the window and saw a familiar mansion.
 
"Isn't that the mansion we went to last month for the party?" Yoona said.
 
"Yes, we're having dinner there." Her mom replied.
 
"There?" Yoona asked surprised.
 
"Yes, the Xis invited us for dinner." This time her father answered. Yoona was slightly disappointed since she thought they were having dinner just the three of them. It's been a month since they saw each other, let alone have dinner together as a family. Nevertheless, Yoona was able to put on a perfect smile when they entered the mansion.
 
"You're here!" A lady, whom Yoona guessed as Mrs. Xi, said as she approached them. Following behind her was a man, whom must be Mr. Xi. The grown ups greeted each other as Yoona stood behind her parents.
 
"Ah, this must be your daughter." Mrs. Xi said when she saw Yoona.
 
"Annyeonghaseyo, Yoona imnida." Yoona said and bowed.
 
"Omo, so pretty." Mrs. Xi said with a smile. "Come on, let's go to the dining room." She ushered them. The dining room was quite big with a chandelier hanging on top of the table. Yoona was confused when she saw six plates and cutleries on the table though, she counted and there were only five person.
 
"Please sit down first, I'll go ask someone to call our son." Mrs. Xi said. Yoona took a seat beside her mother and in front of the unoccupied seat. Then, the grown ups started talking and Yoona was in her own world. 
 
"Oh, here he is, our son." Mr. Xi's voice pulled Yoona back to reality. Yoona looked over to the dining room's doorway. Her eyes widened when she saw who was standing there. It was Luhan. Their eyes suddenly met and Luhan's eyes became wide also.
 
For a while they stared at each other until Mrs. Xi asked Luhan to greet the guest. He greeted and bowed. He then took a seat which was in front of Yoona. Luhan stared at Yoona questioningly and so did Yoona. Their thoughts were broken when the food arrived.
 
During dinner the two fathers were busy talking about some business they are doing. Mrs. Xi and Mrs. Im also talked, leaving their children. Sometimes Mrs. Xi would ask Yoona which she replied politely and Mrs. Im would ask Luhan.
 
"So which university do you attend Luhan?" Yoona's mom asked as they ate dessert.
 
"SM university." He replied.
 
"Oh really? Yoona also attends SM university." Mrs. Im said surprised.
 
"Really now? Why didn't you tell us that you and Yoona went to the same university Luhan?" Mrs. Xi joined the conversation.
 
"I just knew about it too," Luhan said. "We've only met after the party last month." After that Mrs. Im asked Luhan plenty of questions. Yoona was listening and she was surprised that he was in the same year and also taking the same course as her. After dessert Mr. Xi and Mr. Im decided to go to Mr. Xi's study while Mrs. Xi took Mrs. Im around to show her collections of paintings.
 
"Why don't you take Yoona to the garden, dear?" Mrs. Xi suggested. Not wanting to be rude, Yoona went along.
 
There was an awkward silence when they were at the garden. Luhan seemed to be deep in thought while Yoona just wanted to be anywhere else than here.
 
"So...here we are again." Luhan said breaking the silence. Yes, here they are again back to the first place they've met. "So,you're Mrs. Im's daughter?"
 
"Yeah." Yoona replied. "Wait, you know my mom?"
 
"Yeah, we met at last month's party." He explained. "She said she had a daughter but I didn't think it was you."
 
"Why?" She asked curiously.
 
"You work part time, so I just thought, you know.." He said not finishing his sentence. Yoona almost scoffed. 'How narrow minded,' she thought.
 
"Then how would that explain me attending the party?" 
 
"I don't know," he began. "Maybe you were like Cinderella, sneaking into a party, leaving your shoes.." He trailed off. "But you're much more prettier than Cinderella." He added and smiled cheekily. At that, Yoona rolled her eyes.
 
"Hey, we haven't introduced ourself formally." Luhan suddenly said. "Xi Luhan imnida." He said and held out his hand.
 
"What for, we already know each others name." She said dryly.
 
"Come on." He said and stuck out his hand again.
 
"Im Yoona imnida." Yoona said after a while as she took his hand. Luhan then brought Yoona's hand and kissed the back of her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you Yoona." He smiled.
 
Yoona then took her hand away and glared at him. When she was about to say something, her mom called her saying it was time to go. Before heading inside, Yoona threw another glare which Luhan only smirked at.
 
They said goodbye when they were at the front door.
 
"Come again soon." Mrs. Xi said before they left. "Maybe you can come study here  together with Luhan when there's an exam." Yoona only smiled politely and bid farewell.