One Plus One is a Job Well Done

Vanishing Points

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 11:46A.M. to: Park Sobabo
Message:
Soyul-ah...I hate this. I'm in the car. We're having an intervie wbut it's just Hakyeon and me and I dont knw I dont want to do this Soyul please help me

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Received 11:47A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
Wowow unni why are you like this?? What's wrong?? You see him every day, just be normal!!ㅠㅠ

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 11:48A.M. to: Park Sobabo
Message:
Earlier today I misunderstood something and we spoke a nd maybe he's not that bad an ymore but at the same time he forgot what he said to me!!!!!!!He didn't even think about it once after it happened, isnt that bad?? It's mean right?? Am I wrong to be angry? Ah please tell me I'm right

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Received 11:48A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
Unni... you're right...

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 11:48A.M. to: Park Sobabo
Message:
Then why do I feel so scared

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Received 11:49A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
It's not that you're wrong, but... don't you think..maybe...it's time to move on? I know I've said that before but I meant really, truly... move on... he was only a kid, unni... you have to understand that people change..

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 11:51A.M. to: Park Sobabo
Message:
Tell me honestly. What am I supposed to do?

* * *

It took a fair amount of coaxing and reassurance, but by quarter-past Minyoung was waving brightly to Hakyeon as he entered the room.

He stared momentarily - almost as if trying to decide exactly how he should act the next forty-five minutes - before bowing at the interviewer and staff. "Minyoung-ah, annyeong!" he smiled as he took the seat beside her.

Soyul had suggested she try to tone down her anger towards him - not only in public, but in private, too. He'd been right when he said working together would be hard if they didn't get along. At the very least, it seemed fair that Minyoung shouldn't judge the 23-year-old version of Cha Hakyeon until she was sure she knew him herself.

"Ellin-ssi, Hakyeon-ssi, thank you for coming today. My name is Jung Yoorim. Let's work well together," the interviewer greeted with a polite smile.

"Yes, it's nice to meet you," the two responded.

"Can you tell us in detail what it's like working with a school friend?"

Minyoung began speaking before Hakyeon even had a chance to open his mouth. "Rather than saying we were school friends, it's more that we're able to become friends now through reminiscing about our school lives. Honestly, we didn't know each other well back then. It's only now that we're able to see and learn more about each other every day. In that sense, it's a very fun experience that I feel grateful to be able to do."

The interviewer's eyes fell on Hakyeon, who was almost slack-jawed in awe. "Yes," he added, trying to maintain composure to the best of his ability. "Although we weren't able to talk often back then, seeing Ellin-ssi every day still somehow makes me feel more at home. If we were able to become closer through working together, I think it would be really fun. I'd also like to have a class reunion someday."

"Have you encountered any difficulties working together?"

"Hm..." Hakyeon began, his gaze dropping in thought. "Well, because I keep seeing Ellin-ssi who's face reminds me of my schooling days, I keep falling under the illusion that I'm still young."

Minyoung laughed at his joke, nudging him gently with her elbow. "Yah~ If you say it like that, it makes me feel old, too!"

"Too?!" he repeated, pretending to gasp in horror. He looked back at the interviewer and clicked his tongue with a soft shake of his head. "She called me old. Did you write that down? 'Kim Ellin calls Cha Hakyeon old!' Headline story! Yah, friendly reminder, we're the same age!" he whined, nudging her back to the interviewer's amusement.

The two continued to act as such throughout the entire hour that Minyoung almost started to believe they really were friends. No, she reminded herself. This is just for the public. You can't be nice to this extent. Don't be mean, but don't be nice. Let 23-year-old Cha Hakyeon exist as a stranger in your life.

Hakyeon, on the other hand, couldn't have been happier. He had no idea what had caused the sudden change of heart - he figured it must be due to the fact that the interview was going to be released for public reading, though Minyoung's warm behaviour continued up until they got into their separate cars to go home.

The next day at work, however, was different. Rather than treating him coldly, now she would just avoid him. His heart sunk as he realised that the interview had just been her showcasing her acting skills - none of it was real. 

But maybe he could change that. He'd already proven yesterday that the two are capable of getting along. Her sense of humour matched his own, and he learned that she liked her coffee the same way as he did...Two commonalities were better than none, right? It was a start, and it was something to work with.

"Good morning everyone~ Minyoung-ah!" he sang, making his way to the chair beside her in their dressing room.

Her eyes were downcast as a make-up artist worked on her mascara, though she could recognise the voice instantly. "Ellin-ssi," she corrected flatly.

"Minyoung-ah, I brought you some coffee. Short black, just the way you like it," he smiled cheerfully after bowing to the staff members.

"I'm a bit busy--" she began, shutting her eyes at the the woman's command.

"It's not a time-consuming task," he ensured, leaning back into the chair. "Did you sleep well~?"

Her lips tugged into a slight grimace at the effort he was putting into making his words sound cute. "Why do you do that?" she asked as the make-up artist gestured to another staff member that she was finished.

"Hm? Do what?"

"You talk~ like this~ all the time~" she mimicked with a roll of her eyes, though her expression turned into a grin as she saw her hairstylist through the mirror stifling a laugh. "He does, right?!"

She pressed her lips tightly together in effort to restrain herself, instead only giving a quick shrug as she began combing her hair.

"What~? You don't like my aegyo~~?" Hakyeon gasped, a hand rising to his heart as he acted hurt - only momentarily, before placing two fists against his cheeks. "Bbuing bbuing isn't cute to you~~? One plus one is cutie~~?"

The stylist's head dropped and she fell against Minyoung's chair as her shoulders shook with silent laughter. 

"Unni, don't laugh!" Minyoung whined, tapping her back lightly. "If you laugh, he's going to get encouraged. Like a kid!" she added and he poked his tongue out in response.

"Laugh all you want, noonim~" he insisted, speaking in a young child's voice before flashing an exaggerated grin. "I'm here all day for three more months~~!"

"Three more months," the stylist wheezed, still trying to hold back from erupting in a fit of giggles. "How am I going to survive three more months..."

"Right?" Minyoung nodded fiercely before raising a hand to flick Hakyeon's reflection out of the mirror. "Go away, she's trying to work."

Hakyeon's head flew out of the mirror dramatically as if he'd really been hit, and he returned rubbing his cheek with a pout. "That hurt..."

She repeated the action, a smile spreading on her face as he continued following through with the mirror image obediently. "Donk~ donkdonkdonk! Slam dunk!" she laughed, making sound effects as she used his head as a basketball.

"Minyoung Jordan wins!" he declared, grabbing her left wrist and raising her arm in the air in a triumphant motion.

Her right elbow leaned against the armrest of the chair and she covered her face with her hand to hide her laughter. "Ah, you really..." She was frustrated with herself for being so friendly, but at the same time, it was hard to help. He was too easy to get along with - maybe Soyul had been right. Maybe he really had changed. "You're not going?!" she challenged upon dropping her hand and realising he was still holding hers.

"Do I have to~? I was having fun," he pouted again and she shook her hand free to point at him.

"You need to stop," she ordered, trying to maintain as serious an expression as possible. "You're a grown man--"

"Ah, but as a wise old time-traveller once said... there's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."

"You do it too much!" she insisted. "'Sometimes' and 'all the time' are two very different sides of the story, Cha Hakyeon!"

He shrugged innocently, resting his elbow on the arm rest as he leaned his face on his hands. "Are they?"

"Of course they are, idiot!"

He tilted his head, humming under his breath as he eyed her now cold drink. "Now, in a situation like this, is it me who's the idiot or the one who forgot about her coffee?"

Minyoung's shoulders dropped and she threw her head down in shame. "Damn it..." she mumbled in disappointment before shooting him a look through the mirror. "It's your fault. It's because you distracted me."

"I did no such thing!" he teased, quietly working out a plan in his head that would allow him to use this situation to his advantage.

"You did! You came in and started doing aegyo and stupid stuff--" she argued, crossing her arms stubbornly.

"You know, you're right. It's my fault. I should make it up to you."

"Yes, you should," she huffed.

"I'll take you out for coffee this Saturday."

"Ye-- what?"

"Alright, fine, cake as well. Man, I'm too nice. I'm going to go read over my script now. Annyeong!" he added quickly, running out of the room as quickly as he'd burst in so that she wouldn't have a chance to refuse his offer. Here we go, he smiled proudly to himself as he walked back over to where he'd placed his belongings. Now we're getting somewhere.

All the while Eunyoung had been busy getting her make-up done in the other side of the room, wondering quietly why her heart was sinking more and more with every glance.