Better to Be a Fool Among Fools

Vanishing Points

Hakyeon could barely keep focus on the new script before he turned to Minyoung, who's hair stylist had finally finished as the pair sat in the car to re-shoot the scene. "Minyoung..."

"Stop."

"I really--"

"Stop it!" her words sounded more pleading than anything, and she quietly scolded herself for being so weak.

His heart sank as he saw her fighting back tears. She'd meant it, hadn't she? Every single word. "I just want to... apologise, I... don't I at least owe you this much?" he tried, but she only shook her head.

"We can't have a friendship that revolves around how much you... 'owe' me."

"But it's not like that. I... I didn't know. I didn't know you looked at me like that, and I didn't know I took away your happiness, and I just... want to apologise--"

"Stop it. Don't you dare tell me you're sorry. I don't want pity. I don't want your sympathy. Exactly how highly do you view yourself?" she challenged, turning her head to glare up at him, her expression painted with betrayal. "Your words weren't that special."

He blinked - that wasn't what he had meant at all, but the director called that the staff were ready to resume and he realised it was no longer his position to try to justify himself.

After the scene ended he gave her a hopeful glance, though she didn't waste a moment before walking back into her dressing room, shutting the door harshly behind her.

Heaving a sigh, he dragged his feet slowly towards an empty chair behind the set when he felt Eunyoung's gaze on him. "Eunyoung-ah," he began, raising his hand as he tried to call her over.

"I have to... get ready..." she mumbled, not caring if he could hear him as she hurriedly picked up her script and walked away to continue memorising. Ignore it, Eunyoung, she told herself, but actress or not she couldn't pretend she didn't notice the way he looked at Ellin. It shouldn't have hurt as much as it did. The last time she'd worked with him on a drama, he'd had plenty of kiss scenes and it had never once bothered her. Why did it suddenly feel like her stomach was wringing itself over?

"Why do you like him?" a voice suddenly questioned from beside her, jolting her out of her thoughts.

"Huh--?!"

"Don't deny it. It's actually a bit... obvious," Seungri continued before clearing his throat awkwardly. Perhaps it was only obvious because he looked at her enough to notice.

She hung her head in defeat. "I don't know."

"What don't you know?" he inquired, leading her to a less crowded area where the pair sat down.

"I don't know why. I never... I used to always see him with the female leads-- a-acting, I mean-- and it never... bothered me... but this time it feels real. He looks at her differently, he..." she buried her face in her hands, releasing her confusion in a sigh rather than words.

Seungri's tongue rolled along the inside of his cheek as he pressed himself for the right thing to say. "Have you... told him?"

"How could I?" she responded with a soft, nervous chuckle. "It's not his fault or anything, and I... well... I guess it's mine, isn't it? I'd just kind of assumed... it was me and him, on the same page, in the same step... I'd never really considered that... someone else could..." her words trailed off and she felt him gently pat her back. "I never realised it needed saying."

"Do you think he's so great that he's mastered mind-reading, too?" he joked, though he was quick to purse his lips. He never had been all that talented in the act of comforting someone, but he couldn't bare to see someone who was normally so happy being this upset with herself. "Listen. You have two options."

"Yeah?" she mumbled weakly.

"Yeah. You can either tell him the truth - get it out of your system, and... maybe that would even make him realise he might have feelings for you too. Or you can stop looking at him. Find someone else to look at, even if it's not in the same way. Distract yourself."

She was quiet in thought as she mulled over the two ideas, before she forced a laugh as she smiled up a the older man. "Why does it feel like I'll get rejected?"

Seungri's gaze lowered to the floor for a moment before he returned the offering smile. "Because the men of this world have a tendency to be stupid sometimes, and I think part of you has already realised that."

She chuckled, appreciating his attempts to lighten the mood. "Yeah, I have. I realised it as soon as I met you," she joked, poking her tongue out as he feigned a gasp.

"I see how it is, I see. I'll be leaving, then!" he declared dramatically, jutting his lip at her before pretending to stand. She grabbed onto his wrist and gently tugged him back down, a genuine laugh escaping her lips.

"Don't, don't...! If you leave, I'll be the only stupid one in the room. That's not good for anyone's ego," she added only half-jokingly.

He stopped bothering to stifle his smile and sat back down, nodding his head. "Then," he began, sounding a lot more confident than he felt. "Don't depend on him any more, and don't look at him any more. I'll keep being stupid, so don't feel alone and stand by my side instead."

She gave a soft laugh. "Did you just rule out option one on my behalf?"

He grinned. "You said it, Eunyoung... not me."