Scripting Off-Screen

Vanishing Points

"Ah, it's been a long time since I've worn a uniform," Minyoung commented in her dressing room, turning slightly to check the back of her skirt was uncreased. "Makes me feel young again."

"It suits you, unnie!" a stylist smiled, returning with a hairnet, wig and a number of products. "If I get your hair done before the film crew arrive, they'll seriously think you're a student who sneaked in."

She was about to laugh until the stylist's words registered in her mind: "Film crew? They're already here, though."

"No, I mean the other one. They're coming for behind the scenes footage--" she began before blinking, noticing Minyoung's surprised expression. "You didn't know?"

There was barely any time to respond before a knock came at her door. "This is KBS, can we film inside?"

"I..." she stammered, looking urgently over at her stylist before half-hesitantly standing up to unlock the door. As she pulled it open, she was met with two cameras and a man holding a thick clipboard. "Hello!" she bowed, reaching to brush her hair behind her ears before realising her stylist hadn't even begun yet.

"I'm sorry that I look like this-- I'm going to be wearing a wig, so my hair is still a mess..." she tried to laugh, knowing that the viewers would all be under the impression she knew the crew were coming. As she thought about it again, she realised that perhaps she may have been told about it a few dozen times the day prior by her manager... but she'd been practically sleeping with her eyes open. It had all gone in one ear and out the other.

The man holding a clipboard gestured for her to go back into her seat and continue as normal - "we're filming the actors as their unscripted selves," he'd whispered - though it wasn't long before they started throwing out questions.

"What are you filming today, Ellin-ssi?" the man asked after glancing down at his papers.

"Uh- today we'll be beginning to shoot some flashback scenes. Minkyung and Kang are in high school together, so we've both got our uniforms--" she explained, patting her own shoulder before forcing as realistic a grin as she could manage: she knew exactly what was going to be asked next, and she was going to beat them to it. "It's funny, actually, because Hakyeon-ssi and I went to the same school ourselves. It's really like we're travelling back in time... but don't you think I look younger than him?" she joked, tilting her head with slightly squinted eyes.

It was no secret that fans of the program had completely fallen for her and Hakyeon's 'close friendship'; which had been completely fake, established merely through the politeness they were forced to show in interviews and press conferences. As she thought about it more, she decided that must be why the film crew were sent here today. The fans wanted to see their friendship in action.

The thought alone made her feel sick to her stomach.

Knowing what had happened the day prior... her accidental confession. She'd cursed herself so much that night. Why, why-- why did she have to forget the difference between a script and real life? Why did she let everything out? How weak... how pathetic she must have looked in his eyes. She wouldn't have even come to work today if it weren't for Soyul's nagging. "You're an actress," the younger had told her, "and you've scored your first lead role. You can't not show up just because you're embarrassed. You agreed to this drama because you had something to prove - that you'd changed, right? That you're cool and talented, and everything he made you think you weren't. Don't turn your back on yourself now. You'll regret it. I know you will."

There was no choice in the matter - she was going to have to do the only thing she knew best. She was going to have to act.

Hakyeon, on the other hand, had been well aware of the film crew's arrival. The second he'd been informed, it hadn't left his mind for even a moment; all he could think about was what awful timing it was that now, when he wanted to have a private talk with Minyoung, there would be cameras on even off-screen. What if she wanted to pretend yesterday didn't happen? Was he meant to just forget it all? He couldn't. There was no way he could do that. Sighing softly as he exited his dressing room, he put on a bright smile for the cameras as he saw Minyoung walk towards him.

"Minyoung-ah!" he called out, waving excitedly. By her happy reaction, it was plain for him to see that she was planning on acting throughout these supposedly 'behind-the-scenes' shots as well. "Wah, this is really like the old days! You've got your black hair back and all."

"It's pretty, right?" she laughed, giving an exaggerated flip before feigning a gasp. "Yah, what happened to your bowl cut?"

"Bowl cut?" he repeated, blinking rapidly as he gave a nervous laugh to the camera. "I never had a bowl cut..."

She clicked her tongue, shaking a finger at him before turning to face the cameras eagerly. "He had the puffiest hair back then - you've seen his predebut pictures, right? His hair was huge! Ten people could have eaten ramyeon out of that bowl!" she declared with enthusiastic gestures.

"What bowl cut, I had no bowl cut. I don't know what a bowl cut is. You had a bowl cut..." Hakyeon mumbled, jokingly acting shy as he pretended to walk back into his dressing room, head hung low, before turning back again with a bright laugh.

As the pair were called to meet with the scriptwriters, one of the cameras followed them to show fans an exclusive look at the set while another camera began travelling around to meet the actors playing side-characters. Particular focus was put on Lee Jaehwan, who had - without being asked - decided to show the camera each and every one of his animal impressions.

As the director called for a short break and the film crew prepared to leave, Hakyeon realised his chance. The moment those cameras were off, he knew she'd try to leave his side... but they had to talk. He couldn't leave another day like this. It had been fun acting like her friend again - it was always fun. That was why when the crew left and Minyoung took a step away, he didn't waste a moment before catching her wrist. "Please don't change."

Her head turned slightly with a wince at the touch, though she barely let out a sigh. Gently shaking away his hand, she walked back into her dressing room without another word.