Constellation

Vanishing Points

Practice?

"Really?" Hakyeon voiced his uncertainty, though considering her behaviour as of late, part of him couldn't help but feel inclined to believe her. "That was... there were... no emotions in that at all?"

Her eyes flickered to the ground as she pressed her lips together.

"I'm going to need an answer, Minyoung," he sighed softly. "For yesterday's question, too."

"You didn't ask me a question yesterday."

"An answer and a response, then. Come on, you can't just... I don't know - leave me here without even the tiniest bit of closure, I mean--"

"Maybe I... might... like you," she blurted.

His brows rose. That came easier than expected, and it was evident from the red flush on her face that it had been a surprise to her as well. "Might?" he repeated in shock. His expression brightened considerably despite the mock glare he attempted to shoot. "'Might' means you're willing to lead someone on--"

"Damn it..." she groaned as if frustrated that she let the words slip in the first place. She lowered her head, raising a hand to messily run her fingers through her hair. Releasing a soft sigh - of both relief and slight shame - she finally looked up to offer him a weak smile. "I like you. Okay? I'm not sorry. I like you."

The interruption between her confessions had the beaming Hakyeon blink in confusion. "Sorry? For what?"

She winced, recalling the way she had been treating him. "I... maybe... could have told you earlier, instead of, uh..."

"Rejecting my company," he finished in amused realisation.

"Rejecting your donuts," she corrected.

He gave a quick, automatic laugh before blinking twice as her words sunk into his mind. "Even then? You liked me then?"

"I-- I never said that..." she hurried to regain control over her words. "I meant-- I like food, so I should have just eaten them instead of throwing them in the bin. That was a waste, a very... a big waste..."

He chuckled, smiling over at her in relief for a moment before she spoke up again with a soft laugh.

"Should I tell you a secret?"

"Is it anything like the past two?"

Her upper lip curled as she glared. "No."

"Aw," he joked, snapping his fingers. "Well, you can tell me anyway."

"I, uh..." she began almost embarrassedly before covering her grin with the back of her hand. "I ate four."

He gave an exaggerated gasp. "You didn't!"

"They were gorgeous! I spent about ten minutes trying to make the box look unopened before I threw it out... I'm in the wrong business, really. I should be doing packaging."

"I didn't even guess. I underestimated you, Kim Minyoung, you are..." he paused, chuckling as he sat himself back on the table. "From a different league."

"That might just be the smartest thing you've said in fifteen years," she grinned, raising a finger in playful warning. "Don't forget it this time."

* * *

Minyoung chuckled quietly down at her phone as she continued texting Soyul. She knew the younger would be all too eager to hear that her words had been taken into consideration; it was a tough reality check that the actress had most definitely needed.

 

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 8:22A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
Soyul-ah!!!! You're asleep, right? Unnie has news ㅋ

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 8:24A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
I did it ^^;; I told him the truth, and it didn't feel weird?? When I did it in my head I saw myself punching him or crying or something but it just kind of came out and I think I'm alright with that

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 8:25A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
I don't really know where we...stand now or anything, we're not together but he wants to take me out on a date after the final press conference on the 12th

 

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 8:26A.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message:
......before you send me fifty texts, YES I'M GOING TO SHOW UPㅋㅋ

 

At the same time, Seunghyun was slowly shifting his way toward Hakyeon. It was the final day of filming and the younger knew that if he had something he wanted to say, there would be no better time to say it.

Sensing someone walk towards him, Hakyeon glanced over at the man and did his best to act as if he wasn't secretly disappointed it wasn't Minyoung. "Hey!"

"Hey. Look, I just wanted to say... Eunyoung told me what happened."

 

He found his muscles tensing in anxiousness, not exactly sure of what might have been said.

 

"You're really..." he sighed deeply. "You're a good guy, sunbaenim. She said you were really nice, I-- maybe this isn't my position, but I just wanted to say thanks."

 

Hakyeon's shoulders relaxed and he gave a soft smile, taking a moment to let his eyes scan for the young female in the crowd. She was taking quiet steps to jump behind and surprise her stylist, only to hand over a bouquet of flowers. The two females laughed together and shared a brief hug before the stylist patted her hair affectionately. "It was something important to her that she'd been wanting to say for a long time," he said honestly, smiling over at her bright presence. "I'm really happy she said it."

 

It meant she was one step closer to being able to confront her feelings; both men were stood in quiet hope that in future when she would meet the right person for her, she would be able to admit it. Seunghyun kept this thought in mind as he made his way towards her moments later. When she caught a glimpse of the way Hakyeon's face lit up when the director called for the two leads to begin the final scene of the drama, Seunghyun was surprised to see her giving a soft smile.

 

"I'm proud of you," he told her as she gave a soft exhale. "I think things are going to get a lot better from now on."

 

Her smile widened at his words. "I know they will. I feel like... I have the courage now, finally. I can make things better myself."

 

"You always had courage," he reassured. "You just had to look a little."

 

"Ellin-ssi, you're smiling too much. It's better if you look surprised," the director called out, cupping his script around his mouth. "Stylists, please fix her hair quickly - we'll do another take in two minutes."

 

 

VANISHING POINTS - FINALE

SCENE 28: INT. SMALL CAFE - MORNING

Camera pans over a number of hands busily washing dishes and cups. SFX utensils clashing. Pan over to KANG confidently walking towards a table to hand over a coffee - trips on his own feet and spills it on the table, few drops landing on unknown customer's shirt.

      KANG: Oh! I'm so sorry! Ma'am, I really am sorry. I-- [fumbles with serviettes]

Camera focuses on customer's trembling hands. Cut to KANG's surprised expression.

      KANG: Aren't you... the woman from the hospital?

      MINKYUNG: [pauses, slowly looking up] Hey... Kang.

      KANG: They told me... you stayed by my bed. That you took care of me.

Focus on MINKYUNG as she averts gaze.

      KANG: I'm sorry... that I don't... remember.

      BOSS: Kang! Why aren't you-- ma'am, I sincerely apologise for the mess. I will personally get this cleaned up for you. Kang, get out the back--

      MINKYUNG: (OVERLAP) No, it's-- it's okay. It's an old shirt. [hurriedly gathers serviettes] Besides... when something bad happens, isn't it a sign that something good is going to happen later? That's what my horoscope said.

      BOSS: That is a very kind way to view the situation, ma'am--

      MINKYUNG: (OVERLAP) So I'm actually grateful. In fact, I'd like to, uh-- invite this employee out for lunch... today, maybe?

      KANG: I--

      MINKYUNG: [dramatic sigh] I did like this shirt...

      BOSS: What a lucky man! He'd be happy! You're very kind, ma'am. Thank you. I'll go and personally prepare you another coffee!

      KANG: [looks at MINKYUNG sadly for a moment] I'm sorry about your shirt, ma'am. Thank you for not causing a scene.

      MINKYUNG: Oh, it happens. It's not the first time. I'm Minkyung, by the way! Choi Minkyung.

      KANG: Nice to... meet you.

      MINKYUNG: Again.

      KANG: Again.

KANG and MINKYUNG laugh. Camera pans out as MINKYUNG and KANG narrate respectively.

      MINKYUNG: (OFF) I don't think I believe in superstitions any more. Bad things are going to happen whether I step on a crack or not. Isn't that what it's about, though? Taking an uncomfortable situation and adapting so that you can continue on with your life. Maybe your life will be even better from that moment onward. Maybe that bad thing had to happen so that something good could follow up. I miss Kang. I miss being loved. But in the midst of a bad situation, I'm glad that this time he'll get to meet a better Choi Minkyung. I became better after I met him. When I look at it that way, maybe he's the good luck I was always missing.

      KANG: (OFF) She feels familiar sometimes: Minkyung. It's in her eyes. Instead of viewing me as a stranger, she looks at me warmly as she would an old friend. The problem with old friends - and the reason they're so highly cherished - is that they're often named as such because they've disappeared from our lives. They're the people who will make you sigh when your grandchildren point to them in your high school yearbook, or the people with whom you share a knowing smile as you cross paths on the street. That's how she looks at me, only her reaction is different. It's as if... she's so happy to have found me again that she's turned around to walk the rest of the street by my side. It makes me glad. It feels almost like a past life, but I'm grateful that I was friends with her.

      MINKYUNG: (OFF) I'm so glad he didn't vanish.

      KANG: (OFF) I'm grateful that she didn't let me disappear.

Fade to black. BGM ease in: OST PART 1. Roll credits.