8 A.M. D-23

Vanishing Points

Minyoung slowly opened the doors of the script-reading room to find it bustling with people.

"I told you we'd be late!" her manager grumbled under his breath. "Hurry up and sit down. Make sure you apologise. I don't know what took you so long."

She was usually quite the punctual woman, but today had been an exception. Today, she had a reason to look her best. In her mind, when she walked inside those doors, she didn't want him to just recognise her. She wanted him to regret. Yes, it might not have been the 'mature' method she'd initially planned, but she couldn't help herself - which was why when she made her way to the seat beside him, flinching involuntarily at the pleasant smell of his cologne, she realised she'd all but prepared for what was to come.

"Minyoung! Oh- I hope you don't mind me calling you that. I know you go by 'Ellin' now. You might not remember, but we actually went to school together. Do I look the same? Cha Hakyeon, ring any bells?" he continued, speaking quickly and confidently. It was so very... like him to never make a mistake in his words. He was the kind of person who would never miss a beat. Always ready. Always on the ball.

She hated it. "Really? Wow. School was such a long time ago, I'm surprised you remember," she lied blatantly, wearing a polite smile which only brightened as his own expression fell.

"Ah, I guess you didn't know..." he mumbled before flashing another grin. "That's okay! I'll bring my yearbook to our first filming if you'd like. We weren't friends back then, but it'd still be fun to look through all the memories!"

No! she thought frantically. Don't get friendly. If you become friendly, it'll mean you've forgiven him. Don't even think about it.

She didn't have time to think of a response before the director declared they would begin with brief introductions. She concentrated, trying to memorise as many names as possible: Lee Seunghyun, a seemingly serious man who went by the stage name Seungri; Lee Jaehwan, a rookie who was loud and eager to make everyone laugh; Song Joohee, a sweet girl who somehow seemed lost in her own little world; Joo Eunyoung... Minyoung felt a grin tugging at her lips upon this person's introduction in particular. Eunyoung was bright, humble, and generous with her smiles. Minyoung was glad to see that aside from her co-star, the rest of the cast seemed pleasant.

"Hello, I'm Cha Hakyeon! I'm twenty-three years old and I'm going to be playing the role of Lee Kang. It's nice to meet you all, please take care of me!"

It took a conscious effort for her to not roll her eyes. Why was it that everything he said irritated her? "Hello everyone, I'm twenty-three year old Kim Minyoung. I'll be playing Choi Minkyung. Please treat me well!"

 

VANISHING POINTS

SCENE 1: INT. SMALL CAFE - MORNING

Camera pans over a number of hands busily washing dishes and cups. SFX utensils clashing. Pan over to KANG confidently walking towards a table to hand over a coffee - trips on his own feet and spills it on the table, few drops landing on unknown customer's shirt.

      KANG: I- I'm so sorry! Oh, man. I'm so sorry, ma'am. I-- [fumbles with serviettes]

      CUSTOMER: (OVERLAP) Aish, my new shirt-- [snatches the serviettes with a frustrated sigh] My horoscope warned         me to stay away from strange men, why didn't I listen?!

      KANG: I'm so sorry, honestl-- [sees customer's face] ... Min...kyung?

      MINKYUNG: [pauses, slowly looking up] Kang? You work here now? Weren't you in the legal business?

      KANG[clears his throat] I, uh. Left. [scrambles to put everything back on the tray]

      MINKYUNG: For this?

      KANG: It's a nice atmosphere.

      BOSS: (OFF) LEE KANG!

      MINKYUNG: [scoffs] Liar.

      KANG: [looks at MINKYUNG sadly for a moment] I'm sorry about your shirt. Thanks for not causing a scene. I'll...             Wait a moment. I'll get you another coffee. Is there anything else you want? It's on me--

      MINKYUNG: (OVERLAP) Forget about it. I need to get out of here. [side-eyes KANG] This place is too negative. It's       bad luck.

      KANG: I'm sorry again-- [hands his head sheepishly as BOSS appears beside him]

      BOSS: That's the third time these past two days. You're really testing me, Lee Kang.

      KANG: I'm sorry.

      BOSS: You're lucky the customer wasn't angry. If you burnt her, she could have tried to sue.

      KANG: I went to school with her, actually--

      BOSS: (OVERLAP) [heavily places his hand on KANG's shoulder] I didn't ask. [walks away] (OFF) Clean this up.

      KANG: Yes...

* * *

"I'm telling you, Soyul, there isn't going to be a love line!" Minyoung argued into her phone.

"Are you really that stupid? It's a drama! You've been in dramas before, you know what they're like!"

"My character hates hi--"

"Boy meets girl, girl hates boy, boy likes girl, boy and girl fall in love. Don't tell me you didn't watch 'Boys Over Flowers'?"

Minyoung scoffed. "There are, like, ten other female characters. Someone else is going to be paired up with him. Trust me, I'm the one who read the script!"

"I'll give it... hm, four episodes?" Soyul wondered aloud.

"What are you talking about--"

"Until your character trips and accidentally kisses Hakyeon."

Her fingers curled into a tight fist which she raised threateningly at her phone. "You're the meanest dongsaeng I know. You know that, right?"

"Hey, I put up with you for two years as a roommate!" Soyul reminded with a laugh. "That was some hard work, unni. It's only fair I should be allowed to tease you every now and then."

"I don't like you any more..." she mumbled childishly, stifling a yawn.

"Didn't you say there's a press conference tomorrow? Go to bed. You need to look good on camera."

"Alright. Sleep well, Soyul. I'm hanging up!"

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Received 10:31P.M. from: Park Sobabo
Message: 
DREAM OF HAKYEON~~~¬‿¬ ¬‿¬ ♥ ♥ ♥ 

Minyoung stared at her phone in disbelief, shaking her head with a quick click of her tongue before typing rapidly a response and turning off her phone.

[TEXT MESSAGE]
Sent 10:31P.M. to: Park Sobabo
Message:
HOW ARE WE EVEN FRIENDS???