Silent Night

Against All Odds

Seohyun was wiping the cups at the counter, placing them back carefully in the cupboard to not break them. while Tiffany was giving the bills to the last customer of the day. It was a long day, with quite a number of customers and tables occupied. Finally the day was ending and Seohyun couldn't be more glad.

 

Tiffany went back to the cashier and put in the cash into the cash machine and told Seohyun, "Seohyun-ah, you can go home already. I'm already going to lock the cafe anyways".

"Ahrasso, I'll just finish wiping this cup" Seohyun said, wiping the last cup and arranging it back into the cupboard.

"It's quite late already, isn't Jonghyun waiting for you at home?" Tiffany asked.

"Jonghyun is already 18, Fany. He can cook his own food if he's hungry" Seohyun rolled her eyes, but actually deep down, she was 101% sure Jonghyun was just waiting for her to come home and feed him. That brat was forever going to be a big baby.

"Still, it's getting late so get going!" Tiffany ushered her away from the counter.

"Ahrasso! Geez, I'm going" Seohyun groaned as she grabbed her bag and took off her apron.

"Anyeong, Seohyun-ah!" Tiffany waved at her.

"Anyeongg! I'll be going then, be careful on the way home" Seohyun waved back and went out of the cafe.

 

This was her life routine since 4 years ago. Morning was work at a local convenience store and helping out with everything she can. In the afternoon and evening, Seohyun went over to Tiffany's cafe to help out till 7 in the night. For the night, Seohyun managed to get a job of washing plates for a restaurant that was quite near to her house.

Fortunately, the restaurant was closed today for renovation so Seohyun had a night-off. She slung her bag over her right shoulder, walking along the familiar path that she took for 4 years home. This was the life she was used to.

 

Suddenly, a car sped past the road beside her. Seohyun's eyes widen in terror as the car barely zoomed past the traffic light, narrowly avoided hitting another incoming car. Seohyun immediately looked away to the other side and closed her eyes, taking deep breaths to calm herself down. There was a series of loud honking but the sound of collision never came.

 

Seohyun reached up and massaged her temples, a flash of yellow light suddenly hit her mind. She shaked her head and scolded herself,

"Don't be silly, Seo Ju Hyun. It's all in the past".

She took a deep breath and continued walking.

 

 


 

 

Seohyun opened the door and closed it behind her, bending down to take off her shoes. Her feet were sore from standing all day and the shoes were just plain uncomfortable.

 

"I'm back!" she called as she placed the shoes neatly at a corner.

"Noonaaaaaaa!" Jonghyun suddenly came bouncing out of his room and made a beeline for her.

She lifted her eyebrows in surprise, "Wae? What do you want this time?", she asked suspiciously.

Jonghyun put on his best innocent small brother face and said in a cute voice, "I'm hungryyyy".

"There's noodles in the cupboard" she pointed out.

"I want noona's cooking" Jonghyun said with a voice filled with disgusting aegyo.

"Noona is tired, you brat. You cook for once" Seohyun said exasperatedly. She was dog-tired from working two shifts and all she wanted to do was to faint on her bed and sleep.

"Noona, I at cooking. Your cooking is heaven. Noonaaaaa~!" he started tugging her arm like a small child.

Seohyun rolled her eyes in defeat, "Ahhhh fine. You are such a brat brother, you know that?" she glared and went to the fridge.

"Yeah but I'm your brat brother" Jonghyun smirked.

 

Seohyun cooked some simple ramen, with extra egg for Jonghyun and some vegetables and taufu. She poured it into two equal bowls and placed it on the dining table. Jonghyun was curled on up on the sofa, watching TV while hugging a pillow.

"Yah brat, go wash your hands and come and eat" she ordered.

"YEAH FOOD!" Jonghyun jumped up and ran to the table.

He was reaching for the chopsticks when she slapped his hand.

"Wash your hands!" she scolded.

"Yes madam!" he saluted her with a playful wink and ran to the sink. Seohyun laughed and continued arranging the cutlery.

Her brother was such a brat and troublemaker sometimes but she couldn't imagine life without him.

 

Jonghyun slurped loudly and gobble up his noodles which made Seohyun glare at him occasionally.

"So.. how's school today? Still causing trouble?" Seohyun's eyes narrowed as she eyed his suspiciously.

"Aniyo, noona! I'm a good good GOOD boy" he emphazised on the good.

"Har. Har" Seohyun rolled her eyes.

"What about you, noona? Got a boyfriend yet?" he .

"Yah! It's because of you that I am still single. I'm too busy taking care of your troublemaker effects that I'm still single" Seohyun complained.

"Ani, I'm a good boy" Jonghyun said promptly.

"Repeating that won't make you a good brat" Seohyun rolled her eyes again.

"Saying it's my fault you're single won't make you any younger!" Jonghyun said cheekily.

"Why you little brat.." Seohyun glared.

"Yes, grandma?" Jonghyun blinked his eyes playfully.

Seohyun took away his bowl of noodles. His face turned from smirking into pure horror.

"ANDWAE NOONA! ANDWAE! MIANHAEYO! SARANGHAEYO!" he begged.

"So who's the lonely one here?" she inquired.

"Me" Jonghyun pouted.

"Who's the grandpa here?" she wondered.

"Me".

"Who is the unattractive brat that is doomed to become a spinster forever?" Seohyun wondered aloud.

"Yah! That's too much ---!" Jonghyun started defending himself.

Seohyun lifted an eyebrow and move the bowl of noodles to the edge of the table, threatening to push it down, "I guess I could just push this a little more.."

Jonghyun sulked and muttered, "It's me. I'm the biggest grandpa with an enormous white beard that I look like Santa Claus. On the other hand, my noona here is the prettiest lady I've ever met in my life - I just- can't describe-ohhhhh her beauty blinds me. Oh god save me, I can't see through her blinding light!" Jonghyun ended dramatically.

Seohyun smiled, satisfied and push the bowl back to Jonghyun.

"Eat up, grandpa" she smiled broadly.

 

 


 

 

Yoona stared at the wall of her room - her legs wrapped to her chest as her eyes scanned the same peach coloured wallpaper over and over again.

She was doing that ever since she finished dinner alone. Her brother came home late today and went straight to his room after coming home, muttering something about "lots of work" and "good night".

 

She couldn't remember when it was not lonely ever since her parents left for Australia when she was just 8. Perhaps it was because her brother was always busy working or the fact that she was constantly alone at home with only the maids for company. 

She couldn't remember a time when she felt unlonely.

 

Yoona swung her legs over the bed and got up, deciding to go pay her brother a visit. 

If she sat alone any longer, she felt as though she was going to go crazy.

 

Yoona opened Yonghwa's room door and peeked inside. He was writing something at his desk, fully unaware of her. She sneaked inside quietly and closed the door behind her.

Slowly.. slowly..

"Oppa, what are you doing?" Yoona asked cheerfully, wrapping her arms around Yonghwa's neck.

"Working" he was barely even surprised as he continued writing away.

Yoona sulked and went to sit at the bed, "You are so boring".

"Mmm hmm" Yonghwa agreed softly.

"Oppa" Yoona called.

"mmm".

"Oppa" It was so obvious that he wasn't even listening to her.

"mmm".

Yoona pouted at being ignored, he was going to pay for that.

"Oppa.. I've got a boyfriend" Yoona suddenly said seriously.

"mmm... WHAT?!" the words took three seconds to sink in Yonghwa's brain causing him to jump up and turn around. "WHICH GUY? NAME? SCHOOL? AGE? FAMILY BACKGROUND?" he immediately demanded.

Yoona closed her ears with her hands, man he can really yell when he's overreacting.

"Oppa! I was just joking, sorry!" Yoona apologised.

It took a full 10 seconds for it to register in Yonghwa's brain before he calmed down. He dropped back down to his chair but luckily didn't turn back to continue his work.

"Yah Jung Yoona, you want to give your brother a heartattack?" he muttered.

Yoona couldn't help but scoff, "Geez oppa, people will think I'm three instead of 17. It's just a boyfriend, no biggie".

"What do you mean JUST A BOYFRIEND? You're my only sister yah. I'll have to make sure you marry well" he exploded.

"You sound like a father" Yoona rolled her eyes. "Fine, prank's over, goodbye!" Yoona head to the door.

"Wait!" Yonghwa called after her. "You're really joking right...? About the boyfriend thingy.. right?" he said, needing assurance.

"YES APPA" Yoona laughed loudly. His brother was so cute sometimes. "Oppa, when I have a boyfriend, you'll be the first to know".

"Yeah yeah kiddo" his smile radiated with confidence again, "Now go to sleep, oppa needs to work".

Yoona stuck out her tongue playfully white hanging on to his door ledge.

"Good night!" she called before shutting the door.

 

Her smile disappeared as soon as the door closed.

Today was going to be another lonely night.

She went back to her room and sat on her chair - taking out a white book from her bag. She opened it and turned to a new page and began writing, 

 

"Dear diary, is it bad to want to die?"

 

 


whoooppsssss omggg Yoona-yahhhh!

Anyeongggg~ =)

A new update from me, are you guys expecting romance to start already?

Hmm sorry, but I needed to address Yoona's problem first which as you can see above, *I'm sorry I can't tell you yet* shhhh.

can you guess why Yoona is behaving that way?

I promise, next episode will star some romance between uri Yoona and Jonghyun :> pinky promise.

and seriously, I just love Seo siblingship <3

COMMENTS ARE VERY WELCOMED =D

thank you for reading !

-JungHae