An Abundance Of Confessions

Against All Odds

"Seohyun, I---".

 

There was a loud crash from behind the Mercedes. Yonghwa and Seohyun jumped from their seats in shock. 

"Did you just bang someone?" Seohyun said in utter shock, her eyes wide open.

"We're in park mode" Yonghwa reminded her.

Seohyun immediately stepped out of the car and ran to the back of the car, Yonghwa followed suit.

 

It turns out they didn't bang anyone but rather someone nearly banged into them. One of the maids, Su Rim was carrying a large pot of plant and passing by the back of the Mercedes when her hands slipped and the pot crashed to the floor, breaking into a hundred pieces in the process.

"I'm sorry!" Su Rim cried out, bowing before bending down to pick up the pieces. 

"It's okay" Yonghwa said, rather irritated that his moment of grand confession was spoiled.

Seohyun hurried forward and pulled Su Rim's hands away from the pieces, "Don't use your hands, you will cut yourself".

"Yes miss" Su Rim bowed gratefully. "I will go fetch a broom right away".

Su Rim hurried off to the store leaving Yonghwa and Seohyun to stand there. Seohyun inspected the Mercedes's behind and chuckled, "Luckily she didn't cause any scratches or you might just burst out in tears".

"I can just buy another" Yonghwa said in a "isn't it obvious" tone.

Seohyun rolled her eyes and said, "Oh Yeah, I forgot you are Mr. Rich".

Seohyun straightened up and looked at Yonghwa questioningly, "By the way, didn't you say you have something to tell me?".

"I...." Yonghwa was taken by surprise. After the loud crash and diversion, he totally lost his courage to confess anymore. He didn't know what to say anymore. 

Seohyun stared at him, waiting for him to explain but that just added to the pressure Yonghwa was facing.

Finally he said, "I forgot".

"You forgot?" Seohyun asked suspiciously.

Yonghwa nod, "Can't remember anything all of a sudden".

Seohyun shrugged nonchalantly and said, "Well, okay. Tell me when you remember then".

Yonghwa nod, "Sure".

"Let's go inside, I'm hungry" Seohyun said and went inside, leaving Yonghwa to stand alone behind his car.

He was sooooooo close, sooooooo close to confessing to her. Why did the pot have to break at that moment? 

"God dammit" , Yonghwa cursed under his breath and went into the house after Seohyun.

 


 

 

After that, Yonghwa could swear he attempted at least another 4 times to confess to Seohyun but it seems that heaven was playing a game with him.

 

 

He tried confessing during dinner but somehow Jonghyun appeared, saying he was still starving after an early dinner with Yoona and sat down to eat with them.

Yonghwa positively glared at Jonghyun whom remained oblivious and chattered away during the entire dinner.

That was one chance blew.

 

 

He tried telling her when she was watching TV alone at the living room but when he was about to open his mouth, Yoona appeared cheerfully and sat down claiming she loved watching TV with others.

That was another chance blew.

 

 

Yonghwa tried confessing when Seohyun took a walk through the garden but somehow Ai Yeon was accompanying her throughout the whole walk causing him to be able to approach her alone.

Another chance blew.

 

 

The last time of the night, he tried confessing to her at her room. He was certain that he wouldn't fail this time since nobody in the right mind would go into her room late at night.

But when he entered her room, the surroundings were dark and she was sound asleep.

His last chance just blew itself.

 

 

He didn't like this game heaven was playing with him.

 

AT ALL.

 


 

 

The next morning, Yonghwa opened snapped open at sharp 5:30 in the morning, the alarm clock beeping noisily. He switched his alarm off and sat up, throwing his legs over the bed to the floor. 

Last night, he decided to tell Seo Ju Hyun exactly how he felt.

He also failed attempting to confess 5 times and forced himself to bed to try again tomorrow.

Today he woke up with a new determination, he was definitely going to tell Seohyun how he felt about her today.

Even if he has to announce it in front of the whole street.

 

For almost everyday since Seohyun came to stay at his place, he had woke up at 5:30 in the morning just to have breakfast with Seohyun. He knew that Seohyun wakes up at 6:00am and goes down for breakfast at 6:30am. Therefore, he wakes up early just to be earlier than her.

Yonghwa went to wash up before pulling a blue sweater over his white undershirt. Making sure to comb his hair and checking his appearance at the mirror, Yonghwa left his room quietly and crept downstairs. He passed by Seohyun's room and leaned to her room door to listen closely.

 

There was no sound yet so she might be still asleep.

 

Yonghwa continued downstairs and plopped down onto the sofa. Ai Yeon hurried forward and bowed, "Good morning, sir".

Yonghwa tried to stifle his yawn as he replied, "Morning".

"Coffee, sir?" Ai Yeon said.

Yonghwa shook his head, "Not now, later".

Ai Yeon's face turned into a scary smirk and said, "Until Miss Seohyun comes down?".

Yonghwa was yawning but choked when he heard her. He doubled over and spluttered hurriedly, "Wh--What are you talking about?".

"Sir seems to be waking up earlier nowadays, or more precisely, always half an hour earlier than Miss Seohyun" Ai Yeon said suggestively.

"I'm practicing early to bed, early to rise!" Yonghwa defended himself.

"Yea sir" Ai Yeon bowed and retreated but a smirk was etched on her face.

Yonghwa sat flabbergasted at the sofa. 

 

WAS HE THAT OBVIOUS ?

 

Yonghwa had no time to think any further because the next minute, he heard a voice behind him.

"Yonghwa-shii?".

Yonghwa turned behind in shock and saw Seohyun standing at the stairs. She was wearing a pink shirt and jeans. She made her way down and said, "You are early again".

"I am always early" Yonghwa assured her.

"Breakfast is ready, sir" Ai Yeon appeared and announced. Thankfully, the smirk on her face was wiped off. 

Yonghwa and Seohyun head to the table and sat down opposite of each other. The maids set down two plates of toasted breads and two cups of coffee. Seohyun and Yonghwa thanked them as they bowed and left.

Seohyun chewed the bread slowly before saying to Yonghwa, "I went house-hunting yesterday".

Yonghwa tried to keep a calm face when his insides were screaming in shock, "How did it go?".

Seohyun shook her head in dismay, "The price was too high and not many of them are willing to rent and not sell".

Yonghwa's insides relaxed again and he had to force himself to not smile in relief.

He tried to look concern and said, "You can look slowly, we have plenty of empty rooms here".

"I don't want to trouble you too long" Seohyun assured him.

Yonghwa shook his head, "There's no trouble. Personally, I think Yoona's likes the extra company with the condition of no physical contact between your brother and my sister of course".

Seohyun's brows furrowed and she said irritated, "Are you still harping about that?". She stopped eating her bread and looked crossed.

"No" Yonghwa said quickly, not wanting her to get angry.

"Good" Seohyun smiled and went back to chewing her bread.

Yonghwa took a bite of his toast and chewed slowly. He thought of his words very carefully and suggested, "I heard of this new cafe at SeongDamDong that is pretty good. I'm looking for a drinking partner, are you free?".

Seohyun chuckled and reminded him playfully, "I work in a cafe".

"All the better to taste how other competition's coffee is like to improve the quality of you cafe's" Yonghwa insisted.

Seohyun pondered for a moment and nod absentmindedly, "That makes sense too".

Yonghwa took advantage of her deep thinking and said rather hurriedly, "So 1:30 in the afternoon today ? I will pick you up for lunch".

"Sure" Seohyun said casually, going back to chew her toast.

Secretly, Yonghwa fist pumped at his success in asking Seohyun into a lunch date.

He grinned like an idiot and swallowed his toast which tasted sweeter than before.

So love does make food taste sweeter.

 


 

 

At exactly 1:25 pm, Yonghwa entered the cafe and was greeted by the waiter.

"Good afternoon, sir" the waiter bowed.

Yonghwa nod and said, "Table for two, my friend will be coming later".

"This way please" the waiter lead him to a table at the center of the cafe, waiting for him to sit down and take his order. Yonghwa however stood stationary beside the table and asked, "Is there anywhere we can sit that is more quiet?".

"Yes, how about that table?" the waiter pointed to a table that was located at the corner of the cafe. It was situated beside the glass that separated the cafe and the sidewalk outside. It was secluded enough and definitely what Yonghwa needed.

"That would be perfect, thank you" Yonghwa headed over to his desired table and sat down.

"May I take your order, sir?" the waiter made a move to take out a notepad to write down his order but Yonghwa stopped him.

"I want to wait till my friend arrives" Yonghwa said politely.

"Certainly, sir" the waiter bowed and left.

 

Yonghwa drummed his fingers rhythmically on the table. Truthfully, he hasn't thought of what he was going to tell her yet. Just straight up 'I like you!' , or perhaps he heard girls liked guys who are romantic, showering them with gifts and flowers. Just when Yonghwa wondered whether he should have bought some flowers, he noticed Seohyun passing by the cafe from the sidewalk. She spotted him immediately, waved and went in. Yonghwa waved back hesitantly. A wave of nervousness went through him when he realised, he still didn't know what he was going to say yet.

 

Seohyun sat down in front of him rather breathlessly and smiled, "Hey".

"Hey" Yonghwa forced a smile.

"Sorry, have you waited for a long time?" Seohyun asked apologetically.

Yonghwa immediately shook his head, "No, I was early".

Seohyun finally settled down and turned to look at the surrounding of the cafe. She looked mildly impressed.

"The decoration of this cafe is quite pretty but the coffee aroma can be improved" Seohyun commented absentmindedly, staring around.

"Yeah.." Yonghwa agreed quietly but his mind wasn't concentrating at all. It was spinning quickly, trying to construct the words he wanted to tell Seohyun.

Seohyun noticed his thoughts were far away. She snapped her fingers in front if his face, promptly snapping him out of his daydream, "Hey, what's wrong?".

"Nothing" Yonghwa jumped slightly in shock but managed to regain his composure.

Seohyun stared at him weirdly, "He was the one that said he wanted to observe the competition but now he's daydreaming".

Yonghwa promptly changed the topic efficiently, "Let's order".

Yonghwa signalled to the waiter who came hurrying forward immediately.

"Are you ready to order now?" the waiter took out his notepad.

"One cappuccino please" Seohyun said promptly.

"Make it two then" Yonghwa added.

Seohyun lifted an eyebrow at Yonghwa,  "I thought you only liked Iced Coffee".

"Change is good" Yonghwa shrugged nonchalantly.

"Is there anything else you would like to order?" the waiter asked, scribbling the order on his notepad .

Yonghwa stared around at other tables. There were plenty of couples eating at the cafe . They seemed to all be sharing a plate of cake together, occasionally feeding each other and wiping each other's lips.

Yonghwa found himself feeling slightly hot at the cheeks when his mind suddenly imagined himself sharing a plate of cake with Seohyun. He must have dirtied his lips while eating the cake because Seohyun giggled at him before getting up and kissing him full on the lips .

 

Kissing ..

 

Warmth ..

 

Soft ..

 

Lips ..

 

Seo ..

 

*SNAP*

 

Yonghwa jumped at his seat when he was startled by Seohyun snapping her fingers right infront of his face . 

"Helloooo?" Seohyun snapped her finger together.

"What.. What's wrong?" Yonghwa asked, startled.

"You were daydreaming" Seohyun chuckled. "Do you want cakes or not?".

Yonghwa noticed the waiter was still waiting for them to decide. Feeling extremely embarrassed, Yonghwa cleared his throat hurriedly and said, "What is the speciality of this cafe then?".

"The sweet potato cake in this cafe is the signature dish" the waiter recommended. 

"I will have ..." Yonghwa stopped halfway and the image of Seohyun's lips appeared again. He felt his ears get hotter as he said hurriedly, "one piece. Just one large piece".

"Got it, sir" the waiter left.

"Hey why did you only order one piece for yourself?" Seohyun pulled a face.

"I'm not hungry, we can share" Yonghwa assured her.

Seohyun's face relaxed and she said, "Okay then".

Secretly, Yonghwa fist pumped under the table.

 


 

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun chatted animatedly while they waited for their drinks and desserts to be served. Seohyun apparently had went to see an empty house for rent at Jangdodong but (to Yonghwa's gleeful expression) she said she didn't really like the area much. 

"The kids there were smoking by the roadside and the alleyway. I don't want Jonghyun to mix with them" Seohyun grimaced in worry.

Yonghwa nod seriously and said, "Look slowly. There's no point rushing if you are going to regret later".

Seohyun nod and smiled shamefully, "I guess I will have to disturb you for a little while more then".

Yonghwa tried to look casual but his voice was slightly cracked as he blurted promptly,  "You can stay as long as you need, I don't feel bothered at all".

Seohyun  smile slightly, "You have changed, Yonghwa-shii. If it were last time you would have thrown a tantrum for sure".

Yonghwa stared at her in disbelief, "Was my temper really that bad last time?".

Seohyun struggled to put on a straight face and nod, "The worst".

"Lierrr" Yonghwa stuck out his tongue childishly at Seohyun. Seohyun poked him with the fork, "Chodinggg".

"Who's a choding? Me ? HAHA NO WAY" Yonghwa was asking and answering himself. "You do realise that I am the president of the biggest department store in Korea right?".

Seohyun opened to retort but was cut off by the waiter bringing their tray of dessert, "What does--".

"Excuse my disturbance miss, here's your order" the waiter set down the two cappuccinos and lastly the sweet potato cake in the middle. 

Seohyun clapped her hands together and smiled gleefully, "The sweet potato cake looks real good!".

"Yeah it does" Yonghwa can't help but smile at Seohyun's excited face. Very rarely could he see Seohyun truly smile. She was always very tired after a long day's work and her face always looked so worn out. But when she smiled, she looked so innocent and lively again, just like a little child eager to play.

"I'll eat well!" Seohyun announced gleefully and quickly popped a piece of sweet potato cake into with a fork.

Yonghwa just stared at her and waited for her comment. She put up a good sign with her hand while chewing the cake.

Curious, Yonghwa picked up his fork and popped a piece of the cake into his mouth as well.

It did taste good. It was sweet but not to the point where it was disgusting and hard to swallow. 

Seohyun swallowed hastily and said, "It's really good ! Now I see why it is the signature dessert".

 

Yonghwa nod absentmindedly and suddenly something struck his mind.

 

He almost forgotten why he asked her out for lunch for. He was suppose to confess to her and he almost totally forgotten about it.

He stared at the happily eating Seohyun and bit his fork nervously . 

It was now or never.

"Seohyun, I just wanted to say--" he blurted out, his eyes concentrating on his hands on the table.  "I.. you..".

Yonghwa glanced up and realised Seohyun wasn't even paying attention to him. She was staring outside of the glass window. Yonghwa felt a slight tinge of annoyance and turned to followed her eyes.

"What are you looking at?".

 

It was a kid. His face was smudged with dirt and his clothes were messy and dirty. His hands were pressed to the window from outside as he stared at the goguma cake on the table. Seohyun stared at him.

Yonghwa frowned slightly and asked softly, "Why is the kid staring inside?".

"Yonghwa-shii" Seohyun suddenly snapped out of her trance and turned to face Yonghwa.

"Ne?" Yonghwa lightened up at the sound of his name from her lips.

"Pay the bills".

Seohyun pulled a piece of tissue and wrapped the remaining large piece of goguma cake in it.

"What--? Hey!".

Seohyun hurried out of the cafe without another word.

Yonghwa signalled the waiter who came instantly. He pulled out his wallet and stashed two 10000 won note on the table.

"Keep the change" and he ran after Seohyun.

 

Seohyun ran outside and spotted the kid still pressing himself onto the glass window.  As if he wished he could melt through the glass. She approached him carefully and bend down slightly behind him, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Hey kid".

He jumped and turned around, clearly not expecting her. Yonghwa arrived running and stopped beside Seohyun. He stared confused at the Seohyun and then the kid.

"Sorry, did I scare you?" Seohyun smiled warmly, now squatting down so she was at the same level as the kid.

"My mum said not to talk to strangers" the boy mumbled.

Seohyun grinned and nod, "Your mum's right but noona just wanted to give you this".

Seohyun passed the goguma cake to the kid. The kid's eyes brightened at the sight of the cake and accepted it with eager hands.

"Really?" his eyes shone. "You're giving me this?".

"Sure,  it's yours".

"Thanks noona, I am going to share this with my mum!" the kid smiled broadly and bowed before running along the street, disappearing before a few seconds.

Seohyun straightened up and turned to face Yonghwa, "Let's go".

Yonghwa raised an eyebrow, "You do realise that that's my cake you just gave away to a stranger".

"I'm just accumulating blessings for you. It's a good deed" Seohyun shrugged and began walking at the opposite direction from where she stood. Yonghwa followed beside her closely.

"Do you know that kid?" Yonghwa asked curiously.

"No" Seohyun shook her head.

"But you gave him your cake without a second thought".

 

A tinge of sadness spread through Seohyun's face as she smiled and replied, 

"because I know how it feels to be that hungry".

 

 


 

Whoop whoop, I'm still alive and kicking !

Yes yes I know, I have been neglecting this story and I'm so sorry about it.

Things have been rough in my life and too many things are crashing onto me all at once.

but here's a new chapter and I promise to continue writing this story.

The updates might not be very frequent as last time but there will definitely be an update.

and alas, Yonghwa fails his (what number is this again?) confession.

but how about this ?

Instead of promising you when I will post the next update, I will promise you this.

In the next chapter,

Yonghwa will finally manage to confess to Seohyun.

No more playing around and mildang with ma readers.

hehe, until then !

Anyeong and thank you for staying with me all the time !

THANK YOU FOR READING AND COMMENTING !