Dancing Butterflies

Against All Odds

Yonghwa and Seohyun were resting at a small dessert shop. Perhaps it was because August was approaching them fast, the day was a little warmer than usual. Taking opportunities of the weather, Yonghwa suggested to a still annoyed Seohyun , the ultimate weapon that all girls fall for.

Ice cream.

"Come on, you can't say that ride wasn't thrilling" Yonghwa made fun of her as he scooped a spoon of ice cream and melted it in his mouth. The dessert shop was just a stone's throw away from the rollercoaster that nearly caused them all a heartattack. They could hear the faint screams of the people riding the roller coaster.
"Thrilling ? You nearly killed all of us with heart attack" Seohyun glared at him before melting a scoop of ice cream in .
Yonghwa put down his ice cream spoon swiftly and squashed Seohyun's face gently with both of his hands clamped at each cheek, "Aigoo, sorry my baby". He cooed with a voice that the couple at the table next to them actually turned to look. Seohyun's eyes widen as she whispered menacingly, "Yah, do you have a death wish?".
Yonghwa smirked in triumph when he saw a faint shade of red spread across Seohyun's cheeks, he was quite sure it wasn't from his hands. He rubbed her cheeks in circles, squishing her face, saying "You are so cute".
Seohyun pushed his hands away from her cheeks and whispered softly, "I'm going to start screaming in three seconds that you are ually harassing me and the guards are going to put you in a cell. I'll tell Yoona that you went on a three week long vacation so you'll rot in cell while I dominate your house".
Yonghwa blinked blankly for two seconds, taken aback slightly by the threat before he laughed, very hard.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Seohyun looked offended when he laughed, she just threatened him and he laughed ?! The couple next door turned to stare again as Yonghwa let out the loudest laugh she has ever heard. She glanced apologetically at them before glaring at Yonghwa, "Yah, everyone's staring!".
Yonghwa started to control his laughter but his eyes were tearing up in the process. He wiped the corners of his eyes and tried saying, "HAHAHAHAHA this is AHAHA too HAHAHA much to handle AAHAHAHAHA".
"Jung Yong Hwa-shii" Seohyun said in a warning tone.
Yonghwa finally stopped laughing but he was still grinning, "Ahrasso, sorry it was just too funny".
"What was funny ?" Seohyun asked irritated.
Yonghwa propped his arm up on the table and leaned his head on his fist before grinning rather ily at Seohyun, "I just didn't know Seo Ju Hyun has this side to her as well".
"What side?" Seohyun asked.
Yonghwa winked at her and whispered, "The y side".
Seohyun stared at him for two full seconds. THAT ERT.

 


*kick*

 


"OWWW" Yonghwa groaned in pain as Seohyun aimed a full blasted kick towards his shin. He jumped slightly on his seat and the entire table shook. The couple next to them apparently gave up on sitting next to them or perhaps got to scared for their lives when the sugar container from their table flew to theirs, because they bounced up immediately and paid the bills. Everyone else in the shop stared at the howling Yonghwa and the fuming Seohyun.
Seohyun stood up and stalked off. Yonghwa gritted his teeth and signalled at the waiter, "Keep the change!" he slammed 50000 won notes on the table before running after Seohyun, "Wait dear!".
Seohyun yelled without turning back to look at him, "I AM NOT YOUR DEAR".
They disappeared into the midst of the crowd as two waiters came to clean up the table.
"Another lovers quarrel" one of the waiter shook his head in dismay.
"A rich lover apparently" the other waiter waved the 50000 won note to his partner.
"He paid 50000 won for two cups of ice cream?!" the waiter exclaimed in surprise.
"I'll marry my sister to him if I had one" the waiter marvelled at the disappearing back of Yonghwa.

 


 

 

Yonghwa held Seohyun's hand as they strolled through the amusement park. She didn't seem to object to him holding her hands anymore and simply allowed him to curve his hands into hers whenever they walked. This was a good sign, Yonghwa thought to himself. Seohyun simply marvelled at how much things have changed since the last 10 years she had been in an amusement park.  Then,  the rides were a little more old fashioned and the cartoons were toys such as Sesame Street and Spongebob. Now as she watched the kids play at the arcade stalls,  they were all trying to win big brown bears with two round ears at the top of its head and a face of a..  dog? 
Seohyun nudged Yonghwa as they passed by the arcade stalls,  "What is the name of that doll?". 
Yonghwa turned to look and saw  giant rillakumas hanging on the ceiling of the arcade stalls,  "It's a Rillakuma. I heard Jong hyun and Yoona talking about it that day, apparently it's the most popular thing now".
Seohyun stared at the doll curiously, it was cute and looked absolutely cuddly. Seohyun glanced at the stall name and saw 'Shoot The Red Dot'. At the middle of the stall,  about 2 metres away from the counter they stood was a dart board with a tiny red dot in the middle. Arranged neatly on the counter were a number of bows, complete with arrows. Many people were shooting at the dart board,  trying to hits the bulleyes but it was harder than it looked. Most of them weren't even close. 
Yonghwa noticed Seohyun stopped to stare at the Rillakuma dolls and asked, "Do you want one?". 
Seohyun woke up from her temporary trance and shook her head,  "I was just looking because I haven't seen this doll before. Don't be silly and waste money,  it's really hard to win the doll.  Look at all those people failing" Seohyun gestured to the disappointed people retreating  after failing miserably. 
Yonghwa however,  gave a small smirk and said,  "That's because, they are not me". 
"What are you-?" Seohyun began to question but it was too late.  Yonghwa dragged her to the front of the stalls where they were greeted by a worker. 
"Good morning, would you like to try our game? If you manage to hit the red dot on that board,  you immediately win a large Rillakuma! It is 1000 won for three tries". 
"1000 won?" Seohyun asked but Yonghwa had already fished out the money from his pocket and slammed in onto the counter. 
"I only need one try,  thank you" Yonghwa said before taking up the bow and an arrow. He released Seohyun's hand temporarily to adjust the bow in his hand.  Seohyun felt a short jolt when the warmth left her hand and had to suppress herself from reaching out to hold his hand again. 
'What is wrong with you,  Seo Ju Hyun. Get a grip on yourself' Seohyun scolded herself in her head. 
Yonghwa placed the arrow beside the string of the bow and began to expertly pull it back. 
Not taking his eye off the dart board, he called out, "Seo Ju Hyun". 
"What?" Seohyun asked. 
He smirked,  "Watch this". 


And he released the arrow.  The arrow shot straight across the stall and landed neatly right into the center of the red dot. Seohyun gasped when the arrow sunk into the red dot. He wasn't being arrogant when he said he only needed one arrow.  He was good,  really good. Everyone at the store clapped for Yonghwa as the worker took off a large Rillakuma from the ceiling and handed it to him. He thanked her and handed the Rillakuma into the hands of a still surprised Seohyun. 
Seohyun accepted the bear,  still feeling shocked as she asked, "Where did you learn to shoot like that?". 
Yonghwa replied, "I took archery classes and horse riding when I was 7.  My father thought that a real man should always know how to shoot and ride a horse. I mastered both skills when I was 12".
Seohyun stared at the bear in her arms,  it was just as cuddly as she imagined, "but you won this bear,  don't you want to keep it?". 
Yonghwa snorted and replied,  "I am a man,  Seo Ju Hyun. What do I want with a giant bear?  I won it for you". 
Seohyun the bear's ears before saying softly,  "Thank you".  
Yonghwa smiled and once again,  grabbed hold of her hand,  surprising her,  "Come on then,  we still have loads to do". 


For the first time,  Seohyun allowed herself to be lead by Yonghwa. 

 


 

 

They moved on with more children games such as the spinning tea cups and flying aeroplanes. Yonghwa couldn't see the point in such (in his opinion) not exciting and non life threatening games but once Seohyun said she wanted to have a ride,  he didn't protest. He lead her into an empty tea cup and it wasn't long before they began spinning across the ground. 
Seohyun was smiling when she realised they were still holding hands inside the cup. 
"Do we have to hold hands even in a cup?" Seohyun asked. 
"Yes" Yonghwa answered.
Seohyun gave up on arguing with Yonghwa. After a couple of months of arguing with him,  she learnt that they was no use.  He was just too stubborn.  Instead,  she asked another question. 
"What do you do in your free time? ". 
Yonghwa turned and looked at her in surprise.  He didn't expect her to have interest in what he liked. He definitely liked it. 
Yonghwa grinned and said, " I go horse riding if I am free.  My family has a farm at the countryside, with two horses. They are both mine. I have workers to tend to them everyday". 
"What about Yoona?  Doesn't she have a horse?" Seohyun asked curiously. 
Yonghwa shook his head,  "No.  My mother thought it was unladylike for a lady to ride a horse". 
Seohyun fidgeting uncomfortably,  her hand twitched in his,  "Your family seems very strict and proper". 
Yonghwa looked solemn as he answered, "Yes we are,  but that's all we have left". 

Seohyun wanted to press on but she didn't know whether she should. It was his privacy and his family matters. 
'but aren't you his girlfriend now?' a tiny voice spoke in her brain. 
'I am not his girlfriend' Seohyun said stubbornly to her brain. 
'you are holding hands' her brain whispered. 
Before Seohyun could open to ask,  the ride had already stopped and Yonghwa pulled her up and off the ride.  

 


 

 

They went into a haunted house when they were invited by a scary looking zombie. Seohyun wasn't scared at all.  Most of the time,  it was just her and Yonghwa walking through the haunted house as though they were taking a stroll in the park.  Once,  a female ghost pounced out from one dark corner, with dark red liquid trickling down her face which obviously represents blood. Seohyun however,  thought it was so funny and laughed out loud at the ghost. 
"You were mean to the girl ghost back there,  I thought she was going to cry" Yonghwa told her when they left the haunted house and headed down the road leading to the center of the amusement park.  The center of the park was a big square pavement where many people gathered to rest. 
"I didn't mean to laugh but it was just too funny.  The liquid pouring down her face was obviously ketchup.  She was probably it while hiding in a corner,  waiting for us to come" Seohyun grinned guiltily. 


Music can be heard from about 100 metres away from the center square. Seohyun tiptoed to see what was happening while Yonghwa, being tall,  easily could peer across everyone else's heads. 
"It's some sort of..  dance?"Yonghwa murmured. 
A girl wearing bunny ears greeted them and said,  "Hello,  would you like to join our monthly dance festival? For every 5 minutes you dance,  we will donate 100 won to charity". 
Seohyun mouthed at her in surprise, "Dance?". 
"Sure" Yonghwa already began pulling Seohyun to the center of the square where many other couples were currently slow dancing to the music.  A band comprising of a pianist,  violinist,  flutist, and celloist was playing on the stage. 
Seohyun was protesting while Yonghwa dragged her to the dance area, "Yonghwa-shii,  I don't think --- I don't know how to dance". 
Yonghwa smiled as they stopped at the middle of the dance floor.  He turned to face her, placing one at her lower back to pull her closer to him and another on his other hand. 
"Luckily,  I do" Yonghwa said. "Just place your hands around the back of my neck and I will guide you". 
Seohyun looked unsure of herself for a moment but finally wrapped her hands around Yonghwa's neck,  muttering, "I am not taking any responsibilities for broken toes from excessive stepping". 
"Funny" Yonghwa said,"I know exactly what to do to prevent such a catastrophe". 
"What? ". 
Yonghwa lifted Seohyun up the waist and easily placed both of her feet onto his,  allowing her to be almost at the same level with Yonghwa's height. 
"Now,  you don't have to be worried about ruining my toesnails" Yonghwa smirked and he began swaying to the music.  Seohyun wrapped her hands around the back of his neck more tightly than she did before,  desperately clutching onto the only thing that will stop her from falling flat on the floor,--or him falling flat on the floor with her. 
"Don't worry" Yonghwa leaned down to whisper at her ears.  She felt a trickle of strange feeling down her back when she felt how close he was to her.  She could almost feel the heat of his mouth at her ear.

"I won't let you fall". 

 

The dance went into its 10 minutes mark and Seohyun had fell silent.  They continued swaying to the music but as they danced, a million questions seemed to pounce up into Seohyun's mind. Yonghwa was staring right into Seohyun's eyes as he danced, although Seohyun looked away quite a few times. He caught the questioning look on her eyes and finally asked her after 10 minutes of silence,

"Do you want to ask me something?". 


Seohyun looked startled at his question.  She looked up and straight into Yonghwa's eyes and finally said,
"Why me?" she asked. 


That was a question she wanted to ask him for a very long time.  For days,  before bed she always wondered for at least half an hour,  what did Jung Yonghwa see in her that was so special? She wasn't rich,  smart nor exceptionally pretty. She had a little brother to take care of and probably the lowest education  someone could have besides those that didn't complete primary school studies.
What on earth did he see in her that made him like her?
Yonghwa didn't seem to understand her question and replied,  "What do you mean?".
Seohyun continued,  " You are the president of KOUTE,  the heir to a million dollar shopping complex. You probably have a thousand girls trying to date you everyday,  and half of them are probably filthy rich with perfectly y bodies and beautiful faces. What on earth are you doing with someone like me? ". Seohyun said the last sentence in an exasperated way but that was what she truthfully thought. 


Yonghwa however took one hand away from the two that were holding her back and used it to cup her left cheek,  caressing it gently. 
"Yes,  I won't deny that there are probably going to be richer,  ier and more beautiful girls if I looked hard enough but it wouldn't be the same.  Because they aren't you" Yonghwa said softly as they swayed together to the music.  "I want the stubborn Seo Ju Hyun who will stand up for anything she thinks is right.  I want the fierce Seo Ju Hyun who will kick my if I ever do something wrong. I want the kind Seo Ju Hyun who will help a stranger boy whom she has never met.  I want the brave Seo Ju Hyun who singlehandedly raised her little brother.  I want the one and only Seo Ju Hyun that managed to convince me that love exist,  and it still does. I don't want anyone other than you,  Seo Ju Hyun so if you ask me why I chose you,  I can only ask you back.  Why not? ". 


Seohyun was at a loss of words at the end of his beautiful speech.  She didn't know what to say in return when the speech had truly touched her heart in ways she never imagined possible. 
Seohyun whispered back softly," You're an idiot".

 
Yonghwa leaned down so that his lips was inches away from Seohyun's.  He gripped her waist tighter with one arm and pulled her closer as his other hand gently lifted up her face to look at him. 
"and there's the rude Seo Ju Hyun who I absolutely fell in love with".

 
He swooped down and claimed her lips. 

 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

*gasp*

Quick update because I don't want to keep my readers waiting ! 

They kissed *squealssss*

Compared to the previous chapters which consists of them both just goofing around, this is sort of more romantic and signals the start of their relationship.

If you are a reader that had been waiting for this exact moment, well it's your lucky day.

LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW BECAUSE THEY INSPIRE ME TO WRITE MORE.

THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING !