Startling Realizations

Against All Odds

Yonghwa sat fuming at his desk, documents were spread all over his table but he had no mood to read any of them right now. His entire mind was completely taken over by Seo Ju Hyun.

How dare she yell at him ? How dare she slam the door at him ?

This was his freaking house, how can she just act as she likes ?

In Yonghwa's mind, a small voice told him, "but you were the one that invite her and her brother to stay at your place".

"What?" Yonghwa retorted to himself loudly, "I invited her and her brat brother to stay because I took pity on them, not for her brother to go sneaking into my sister's room!".

The small voice in his mind whispered again, "but aren't you just the same? You sneaked into Seo Ju Hyun's room while she was still sleeping?".

Yonghwa answered himself gaspingly, "I never meant to do anything bad to her ! Just to see if she was awake!".

The small voice replied in a sneer, "Yeah right".

"OH SHUT UP" Yonghwa snapped at himself.

Suddenly, he regained consciousness and realised he just talked to himself. Had he gone crazy?

He must have.

 

 


 

 

There was a soft knock on the door. Yonghwa readjusted his posture and clear his throat before saying, "Come in".

Yoona came in and closed the door carefully behind her. She moved forward to stand in front of Yonghwa's desk. Yonghwa crossed his fingers on the desk and asked, "Are you here to continue chastising me?".

Yoona shook her head, "No, I'm here to apologise".

Yonghwa was surprised but remain calm, "For what?".

"For snapping at you and closing the door on you. I'm sorry" Yoona bowed in apology.

Yonghwa nod and said, "I wasn't angry at you anyways".

Yoona looked up and her eyes were hopeful, "Then, let's go down and have breakfast".

Yonghwa considered for a moment. Jonghyun and Seohyun will most probably be there and it's going to be awkward for sure but they will have to meet soon anyways since they now lived in the same house so might as well solve the problem quickly.

"Okay" Yonghwa got up and went out of the room with Yoona at his heels.

 

This was going to be awkward.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Yonghwa reached the foot of the stairs with Yoona and the first thing he noticed was that only Jonghyun sat at the dining table. There was no Seo Ju Hyun in sight. Jonghyun got up when he saw Yonghwa and bowed.

"Sit" Yonghwa gestured to Jonghyun. Jonghyun nod and sat down again, Yoona sitting opposite of him.

"And where is Seo Ju Hyun-shii? Don't tell me she is sulking upstairs" Yonghwa said flatly. That woman can't be upstairs sulking and whining that she's not going to eat breakfast like a child right ? 

Jonghyun shook his head, "No, Noona went to work 15 minutes ago already, said she was late".

Yonghwa looked at Jonghyun incredulously, "She just left?".

Jonghyun nod hesitantly and quickly explained, "She doesn't mean anything. Noona normally heads to work at 8:00 and it was already 8:30 so she was really late".

Yonghwa nod, "Well, if that's really the case then fine".

Jonghyun continued hesitantly, "And .. Noona told me to tell you that we will most probably be moving out soon".

"Why?" Yonghwa's eyes flashed dangerously at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun gulped in fear and quickly said, "She just said she doesn't want to cause any inconvenience to you and Yoona".

"There is no inconvenience. You two can stay here, tell your sister that" Yonghwa said in a final tone.

Jonghyun opened his mouth to argue but Yoona caught his eye. Yoona shook her head slowly, warning him to not speak anymore. Jonghyun remained silent and they ate breakfast in silence.

After finishing his platter, Yonghwa got up and announced, "I am going to get ready for work. I expect you two are going to school together after breakfast?".

Jonghyun and Yoona answered in unison, "Ne".

"Okay" Yonghwa said and headed to the stairs. He was about to climb the stairs when he suddenly turned back to the dining table and called out, "Jonghyun-shii?".

Jonghyun jumped slightly in surprise and turned to face Yonghwa whom was standing at the stairs, "Ne?".

 

"I'm sorry for this morning" Yonghwa said before climbing up the stairs.

 

Leaving a stun Jonghyun and happy Yoona at the dining table.

"WOW, he just said sorry to me" Jonghyun said, awestruck.

Yoona smirked and said in a I-Told-You-So tone, "I told you Yonghwa oppa wasn't that bad!".

"Perhaps but" Jonghyun said worriedly, "My sister is another special case".

Yoona replied thoughtfully, "I'm sure they will get along again soon enough. I mean, she accidentally pushed him into the pond and Yonghwa oppa didn't stay mad at her for long".

"I thought you said Yonghwa-shii fell inside by himself" Jonghyun stated.

"Well" Yoona shrugged. "Accidents happen".

 

 


 

 

 

Jonghyun and Yoona arrived at the front gate of their school. They were driven to school by Yoona's very insistent driver. The driver was about to get down to open the door for them when Jonghyun held him down by the shoulder.

"Wait Ahjussi, let me" Jonghyun assured him before getting down the car.

He opened the door for Yoona and held out his hand, bowing down as if he was inviting a princess.

Yoona turned red and said embarrassingly, "Yah, everyone's staring!".

True to say, everyone that was entering the school compound stopped to stare at the couple. Jonghyun simply ignored and said promptly, "Of course, everyone stares when a princess exits a vehicle".

Yoona grinned shyly and scolded, "Sweet-talker" before accepting his hand and exiting the vehicle.

Jonghyun closed the door behind her and said, "Only to you, sweetheart".

Yoona rubbed her right shoulder with her free left hand feverishly, murmuring, "Goosebumps.. goosebumps".

They entered the school compound together, hand-in-hand. All the other students went back to resume whatever they were doing, almost used to the couple's romance already.

Jonghyun checked his watch and said, "I still have an hour before class starts".

Yoona grinned happily, "Really? I have one period off as well".

"Let's go to our spot then" Jonghyun smiled and Yoona nod.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Jonghyun pulled Yoona down to sit beside him under the familiar big tree. Ever since their first date at the lakeside, this secluded spot has became their spot. People rarely go there so they had as much privacy as they needed.

Jonghyun asked immediately, "So how was your appointment with the doctor last Wednesday?".

"The doctor said I have "chronic dysthymic disorder" " Yoona said.

Jonghyun frowned in worry, "What is that? Is it serious?".

Yoona shook her head and smiled, "It's a long term, mild depression that lasts for at least two years. It normally starts at teenager age and can last for many many years. Just like mine has last for 10 years ".

Jonghyun looked worried and asked, "How can you still smile? This is serious, the doctor said it can last for a long time".

Yoona smiled ever wider, "but the doctor said, my condition is getting better and better. She even guessed that it must be because I have met a special person that made me happier".

This time, it was Jonghyun's turn to smile smugly, "and I bet that special person is me".

Yoona pulled a face at him, "Arrogant".

"Why shouldn't I be when I have such a beautiful girlfriend?" Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Yoona and pulled her close, swaying from side to side.

Yoona smiled and suddenly thought of something, "Jonghyun oppa, it's always just me telling you about my sickness. You should be telling me something about yourself. Something that not many people know, a secret".

Jonghyun considered for a moment, "A secret?".

Yoona pulled Jonghyun's face to look at her. She looked at him earnestly, "I told you even about the most private things like my depression disorder. It's only fair if you tell me something secret about you".

 

Jonghyun thought for a moment and said, "I have ADHD".

"What?" Yoona's eyes widen and she sat up straight, staring at Jonghyun with her big eyes.

Jonghyun let out a comforting laugh and said, "Yah, I haven't even explained yet and you are so shocked already?".

Yoona looked shy and apologised, "I'm sorry, please continue".

"It's okay" Jonghyun smiled and held her hand in his reassuringly, "It's not a new thing for me. Not many people know this".

Yoona looked at Jonghyun concernly, "Is this why you keep getting into trouble even if you don't mean it?".

Jonghyun nod and explained, "I'm the "inattentive concentration" type. It means I'm easily distracted, can't concentrate, difficulty in paying attention, trouble completing homework assignments, daydreaming, struggle to follow instructions" Jonghyun added in the end, "Basically everything that defines a terrible student".

"Does the teacher know this?" Yoona asked.

Jonghyun shook his head, "Only Seohyun Noona knows".

"But you should tell her, I mean, then she'll understand and you won't get into trouble you never meant to cause" Yoona insisted.

But Jonghyun shook his head persistently, "No, I don't have to be treated special. This is my last year already anyways. Just let me be the punk they think I am. Plus, my ADHD has been getting better ever since I am getting older and out of adolescences".

"Really?" Yoona reconfirmed.

"Ne" Jonghyun nod truthfully. "It only relapses when I hear the duck teacher lecture".

Yoona broke into a thrilling laugh, "That's mean, Jonghyun oppa!".

"I'm mean" Jonghyun broke into a wide smile. "but that's why you like me".

Jonghyun wrapped his arm around Yoona's shoulder and pulled her close. Together, they enjoyed their last 30 minutes of free period before Jonghyun walked Yoona's to her class.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Seohyun placed back the last of the already sparkly clean cups back into the shelves and closed the cupboard doors securely. Tiffany leaned at the counter and blinked at her profusely. Seohyun glanced at her expression and her eyebrows burrowed.

"What is it?" Seohyun asked. " Did I grow a second nose or something?", just to prove her point, she touched her nose. Still one, thankfully.

Fany shook her head, "No".

"Did I grow a third eye?" Seohyun touched her forehead, nope.

"No" Fany shook her head again.

Seohyun grew impatient and asked, "Then what?".

Fany straightened up and announced loudly, "Your prince charming didn't come again today".

Seohyun looked at her disapprovingly and continue wiping the spoons dry with a cloth, "How many times do I have to say?".

Seohyun held up one finger, "One, he is not my prince charming. "

Seohyun held up two fingers, "Two, he doesn't have to come everyday."

Seohyun held up three fingers, " Three, I don't care".

Seohyun held her stare for two seconds, giving Fany the "is this explanation enough" face before continuing her work.

Seohyun pull open the drawer and arranged the spoons into their respective places. Fany pouted at the counter and whined, "but I still think he likes you".

"Then you are wrong" Seohyun said casually. "because I just got into an argument with him this morning because he was a total jerk and jackass".

"Woah what did he do?" Fany pressed on but Seohyun shook her head.

"I don't want to talk about it. I might break the glass or something" Seohyun sighed. "I've got to go. It's late already".

"To the night job again?" Fany frowned in concern.

To her surprise, Seohyun shook her head, "Nope, I quit".

"What? You quit?" Fany exclaimed in surprise. "Yah! I told you to quit a million times before this, finally you listened to me!".

"That supervisor was an even bigger jackass than two Jung Yong Hwa put together" Seohyun shrugged.

"That's right!" Fany agreed immediately. "Alright, be careful on your way home!".

"Okay!" Seohyun answered. She went to put away her apron before grabbing her bag and leaving the cafe, bidding Fany goodbye.

Now, it was time to go back and face that dreaded person again.

Just when she thought he was actually quite decent.

 

 


 

 

Seohyun entered the house quietly. She opened the front door and peeked inside. The lights were all on as usual but there was not a person in sight. Seohyun went in and closed the door behind her. Creeping on her toes, she made her way upstairs and to her room. To her surprise, she didn't meet a single soul on her way up. Not even the maids, her brother, Yoona or that jerk. Was everyone asleep already?

Isn't 9:00 p.m a little too early to be sleeping ?

Seohyun entered her room and threw her bag to the sofa before dropping dead on the bed. She may have quit the night job but even with two jobs, it was tiring. Furthermore, she has to search for a new night job soon, hopefully with a better boss, or she won't be able to ever rent a new place to stay anytime soon.

What should she apply for ?

Cleaning lady, waitress, or perhaps convenience store worker ?

 

Seohyun was deep in thought when there was a knock at the door. The knock startled Seohyun, causing her to sit up in surprise.

"C-C-Come in" Seohyun stuttered slightly in surprise.

Yoona poked her head in, looking slightly embarrassed. She came inside and closed the door behind her slowly, shifting uncomfortably from one foot to another. "Are you busy?" she asked, looking awkward standing at the door.

Seohyun smiled warmly and shook her head, "Not at all, sit down". Seohyun gestured to the sofa that was near her bed. Yoona smiled back and went to sit at the sofa, her hands curled on her lap. Seohyun stared at Yoona, waiting for her to speak.

Yoona hesitated for a moment before saying, "I came to apologise for my brother's behaviour".

Seohyun shaked her head at her foolishness. Why would she have to apologise for Jung Yonghwa's rude behaviour ? Seohyun  replied, "You don't have to. It's not your fault".

"I have to because he's my brother" Yoona grimaced.

Seohyun raised an eyebrow, "but the one that was wrong was not you but him".

Yoona explained in her way, "It's just the same if Jonghyun offended my brother. I think you will apologise to him for Jonghyun because you are his sister".

Seohyun thought for a moment, if Jonghyun offended Yonghwa the same way Yonghwa offended her, would she apologise for Jonghyun's sake towards Jung Yong Hwa? She probably will, but not because she felt guilty. She was afraid Jung Yong Hwa will hold a grudge against Jonghyun.

Seohyun finally admitted, "I guess so".

 

Yoona fidgetted uncomfortably on the sofa and crossed her legs before saying softly, "Yonghwa oppa is not a bad person".

Seohyun smiled at Yoona's attempt to defend her brother despite apologising for his rude behaviour. They were siblings after all and had mostly only each other. Seohyun nod and said, "I know,  he's just rude, impulsive and severely distrust in any human beings that isn't himself".

Yoona chuckled slightly and nod in agreement, "That sounds like Yonghwa oppa alright".

Seohyun however smiled and continued, "but he cares for people he knows a lot, especially you. He let me and Jonghyun stay here, this proves that he isn't a heartless jerk".

Yoona nods happily in agreement, satisfied that Seohyun's image of her brother wasn't as bad as she thought it was, "He just has a hard time trusting people, even those he has known for years but behind that suspicious mentality of him is his warm heart. That's why I hope you will forgive him and not be angry anymore" Yoona said encouragingly.

Seohyun managed to pull a small smile and shook her head, "I am not angry anymore, for now anyways. No guarantees I won't punch him in this nose if he annoys me in the future".

Yoona laughed heartily and said, "If you must to knock some trust into him".

Seohyun remembered this morning and asked, "So what happen after I left for work ? Did he throw a fit when he realised I left ?".

Yoona thought for a moment, "At first he seemed a little offended but then he calmed down AND" Yoona suddenly remembered something important, "He actually apologised to Jonghyun oppa for accusing him this morning before we left for school!".

Seohyun's eyes widen in surprise, "He did? That's unexpected".

Yoona nod in agreement, "Jonghyun was so surprised, he got a little giddy".

Seohyun rolled her eyes, "Trust my brother to show his idiocy in front of his girlfriend".

Yoona looked slightly giddy herself when she praised Jonghyun, "He's cute".

Seohyun looked at Yoona's happy face and shook her head, "Teenage infatuation is someting I will never understand".

Yoona looked slightly surprised at Seohyun's statement and rebutted, "but eonnie, surely you had a boyfriend before!".

Seohyun smiled at her like a mother smiles at her young daughter, slightly reprimanding but also maternal, and said, "You don't get many dating opportunities when you have to raise an 8 year old until he's 18, Yoona.".

Seohyun sighed before continuing,

"Love? It is included in one of the luxuries that I can't afford".

 

 

 


 

 

Seohyun went to shower after Yoona's left to go back to her own room. She felt that she must have bewildered Yoona with her statement just now, but it was true without any sugarcoating. 

She had no time for romance.

Seohyun blow dried her hair with a hair dryer at the dressing table and went to lay down on the bed, stretching her aching body. Graititude flushed through her as her body sighed in pleasure the moment it came in contact with the soft mattress. Expensive mattresses do have their worth after all.

 

Suddenly, there was another knock at the door for the night. Seohyun sat up, feeling slightly annoyed. She was just starting to enjoy being alone with a superbly comfortable mattress and the person at the door just messed up the atmosphere.

"Come in" Seohyun said rather irritated.

To her grief, Yonghwa came in.

Seohyun immediately pulled a face, "It's you?".

"You don't have to put on such a face" Yonghwa said, closing the door behind him and heading to sit at the sofa. "I'm not here to pick a fight".

"First time today" Seohyun muttered under her breath but all the same, crossed her legs and straightened up respectfully. 

Yonghwa heard her but evidently ignored her, "When did you come back from work?".

"Around 9 o'clock, why?" Seohyun asked in surprise.

"Nothing, just wondering" Yonghwa said casually.

Seohyun nod and remained silent. The fight that happened this morning made them awkward again. She didn't know whether to be nice or be mean.

Seohyun played with the blanket at her legs, very determined not to look at Yonghwa. She could feel him looking at her even if she didn't look at him.

 

Then, he said something that surprised her enough to jerk her head up to look at him.

"I'm sorry, Seo Ju Hyun".

 

Seohyun's head jerked up to look at him, "What?".

 

"I said I'm sorry" Yonghwa said rather irritably, probably annoyed that she didn't hear him the first time.

Seohyun stared suspiciously at Yonghwa, "Did I hear wrongly? Jung Yong Hwa is apologising?".

Yonghwa looked absolutely offended and sulked like a child, "Now you are being rude".

Seohyun couldn't control herself and broke into a small smile, "Alright, I'm sorry for making fun of you".

Yonghwa's eyes widen, "Does it mean I'm forgiven?".

"That depends whether or not you know what you are wrong at. If you don't know what was your wrong, what's the point of apologising?" Seohyun said.

Yonghwa sighed and said, "You're angry because I accuse Jonghyun of sneaking into Yoona's room when he didn't mean to, and then I unreasonably yelled at him and you".

Surprisingly, Seohyun shook her head, "Essentially, yes. I appear angry because you accuse Jonghyun but what I am really angry about is that you don't trust us, and we are your friends. If you invited us to stay with you, then shouldn't you trust us instead of accusing us".

Yonghwa's head bowed in shame as he murmured, "I'm sorry".

Seohyun scooted to the edge of the bed so she was less than one metre away from Yonghwa and said gently, "Yonghwa-shii, you don't trust people easily".

Yonghwa looked up and was surprised at how close she came but nod in reply, "I was brought up not to trust people easily. The world of business is full of lies and schemes, Seohyun-shii".

Seohyun reached out and touched Yonghwa's shoulder in comfort, "but Jonghyun and I are not from your business world. We are from your real world. We are your friends, and you have to trust your friends. You have to trust the people your sister trusts".

 

Yonghwa was frozen at her touch.

Her touch was nothing like he ever felt before in years. It was reassuring and kind, like a mother's touch yet firm like a father's teaching. His heart was beating faster than ever and what was this feeling he was feeling?

Her reassuring, gentle touch,

It made him want to trust her.

 

Seohyun withdrew her hand and smiled at him, "I forgive you. It must have took a lot of courage for the president of KOUTE to apologise to someone".

Yonghwa unfroze himself with effort and quickly said, stuttering slightly with embarrassment from his racing heart, "I-I-I-I'm glad then. I'll leave you to rest for the night. Goodbye".

Seohyun looked confused, "Wha--?".

Yonghwa half walk, half ran out of Seohyun's room, closing the door behind him tightly as he stepped out of the room to the vast hallway. His heart was still racing in his chest. He held his hand to his chest, attempting to stop it from beating rapidly but it was no use. He was certain his face was red and he felt a slight tingling feeling at his stomach. He could still feel the gentle touch that Seohyun his left shoulder.

His heart was beating like a racing car.

 

 

 

It was then,

 

 

 

 

He was sure,

 

 

 

 

 

Unless he was very mistaken,

 

 

 

 

 

Which he was 99% sure he wasn't,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He had unintentionally fell in love with Seo Ju Hyun.

 

 

 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

Anyeong ! :)

I thought it was a while since we saw a JongYoon scene so I added one just to satisfy my JongYoon fans =D 

anddd now everyone knows why Jonghyun is such a terrible student, he doesn't mean to be  /=

*DRAMATIC DRUMROLL* Yonghwa finally admits to himself that he fell in love with our stubborn Seo Ju Hyun.

but what will happen next ?

*wiggle index finger* NO SPOILERS FOR MY READERS ! *wicked laugh*

Till the next chapter !

THANKS FOR READING AND COMMENTING !

-JungHae