Kang Haru

BROKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kang Haru

”No wait Mrs. Yoon, I really can do it by myself. There is no need to bother-” she said as convincing as possible, but was cut off when her strength betrayed her and a couple of books had fallen from her arms onto the floor. Before she could try to pick them up again, Jongin had already walked over and bend down to pick up the fallen books.

Jongin was not quite sure why he had agreed, because he was going to meet his friends after school and already was running late. Maybe it was because it was Mrs. Yoon who had asked him. Or maybe it was because she had looked pitiful standing there, overwhelmed with all those heavy books in her arms. Whatever the reason was, Jongin was not going to back down on his words now and besides the hospital was a few minuets from where he was going to meet with his friends anyway.  

“Don’t worry it’s not a bother at all, the hospital is in the direction I’m going anyway” he assured, but seeing the uncertainty in her, he teasingly continued his argument;

“And besides what would people think when we’re walking in the same direction, while you are carrying all those books, and I’m not helping, right?” Not that Jongin cared what people thought about him, he had stopped caring about that a long time ago. But it had seemed convince the girl, who gently nodded as an answer. With that Jongin had stepped forward taking the books that was stacked in her arms, leaving her with three books.

“Uhm you don’t have to take that many books. It’ll be too heavy” she said concerned. She did not want to burden him anymore than what she already had. He caught the concerned tone in her voice and decided to a bit more.

“Weren’t you the one who said that you could carry all of the books to the hospital by yourself, just a while ago? And now you’re telling me that it’s too heavy. What are you trying to say? That I’m weak?” he said with a straight face.

“No no not at all, it’s just that…uhm…sorry it wasn’t my intention to …uhm… sorry” she stammered while looking back down at the floor, clenching the books she had to her chest Seeing her reaction and how apologetic the petite girl looked Jongin let out a little laugh.

“Aigoo Jongin don’t so much, look at the poor girl” Mrs. Yoon smiled.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself. I didn’t think that she would take it that seriously,” he laughed a little harder. The girl looked back and forward between the laughing Jongin to the amused Mrs. Yoon, only first now to understand what had happened, and blushed lightly by the embarrassing situation she was in. Jongin had stopped laughing when their eyes had met.

“I’m just messing with you” he smiled. The girl quickly looked down and softly nodded.

“I guess we will be going Mrs. Yoon” Jongin looked at Mrs. Yoon and smiled.

“Oh yes of course. Thank you very much Jongin. You’re such a good boy,” she answered sincerely. It had been such a long time since anyone had called him that, so it had taken him a few long seconds to process that it was him she was referring to, as a good boy. Jongin could only give a half-hearted smile as an answer, because he knew that if there was something he was not, it was “a good boy”. Maybe back then - maybe the boy Mrs. Yoon remembered was “a good boy”, but the young man that boy had grown up to be was far from that, he thought.  

Instead of going through the school, Jongin had followed the girl all the way around the building – though he was not sure why they had taken a detour to reach the gate. Going along the main building’s wall the girl has abruptly stopped up, as they had reached the end. Luckily Jongin had managed to stop before bumping into her. He watched as the girl with the books clenched to her chest had pressed her back up against the wall, turned her head looking in the direction of the front yard of the school and gate. Watching from the gates one would only see the girl’s head, while the wall hid the rest of her body. Following her gaze, Jongin saw Kim Woobin, a third year standing by the gates. Kim Woobin was not an unfamiliar face in the school, as he was not only popular among the students, but also among the teachers. An excellent, well-mannered student and the polite, friendly and good-looking president of the student council are how people usually see him. Even though he was not as rich as Jongin and his group of friends, Woobin would still be defined as a young man from a well-off family. He was someone who the majority of the female population in the school would love to bring home and show off to their parents.

Perfect - is the word many would use to describe Kim Woobin, many except for Jongin. He had never liked that guy from the moment he saw him. It was not that he hated him or anything to that extent, Jongin just felt that there was something off with Woobin, something about this perfect image he had, that to Jongin seemed almost too perfect. His friends would only laugh and whenever they had talked about it, saying that he was jealous of Woobin. The girl had suddenly whipped her head back, so the wall now hid her entire body. Her sudden movement made Jongin instinctually take a step backwards and if looking from the gates, the wall had now also successfully hid him.  

“Somebody’s got a crush on Kim Woobin huh?” he questioned teasingly, as he looked down at her. With that question the girl had made eye contact with Jongin.

“No it’s not like that” she said softly, but determined. Jongin had only intended to , but somehow his question had made the situation a tad more awkward than it already was. As he was about to step out from their hiding place, she spoke again.

“Uhm can we just stay here a bit?” she asked. He was about to object to her suggestion, because Kim Jongin was definitely not going to hide from some third-year, but as he was about to voice his opinion familiar high pitch voices could be heard exiting the main building.

“Are you sure you saw Kai in class today” a girl’s asked.

“I’m a hundred percent sure. I really did see him this time!” another voiced answered more high-pitched than the first one.

“But you also said last time at the library!” A third one whined

“Yeah and I’ve said sorry a thousand times, how many more times do you want my to say sorry huh? Let’s just wait by the gate. I’m sure he is going to come out. And if he doesn’t then I’ll buy ddukbokki ok?” The second girl said determined. They flock of girls had seemed to agree, since they had stopped by the gate hopefully waiting for Jongin to come out. Their conversation had made Jongin step further back, and was now imitating the petite girl’s position.

“Yeah let’s stay here a bit” he sighed, while taking out his phone as it had vibrated.

From Chanyeol to Jongin:

Yah Kim Jongin, where the hell are you? Is this some kind of evil plan of yours? Planning to starve us to death? Come on hurry up!

To Chanyeol from Jongin:

Something came up, so going to come a bit later than expected. Just start eating without me.

From Chanyeol to Jongin:

Kyungsoo and Beakhyun said that if you’re going to bail on us because of some bimbo, then you can just say so, so we don’t have to wait for you.

To Chanyelo from Jongin:

Nope not going to bail on you, just coming in late. And when have you become so nagging, what are you my wives? You don’t have to wait, just tell them to start without me.

From Chanyeol to Jongin:

Just remember that it was you who said not to wait. Don’t blame me if there’s nothing left hehehe. See you later then!

To Luhan from Jongin:   

Luhan could you save some food for me, before hippo one, two, and three eat everything. Have Sehun come yet?

From Luhan to Jongin:

Hahaha don’t worry, I’ve already set some aside for you. Yeah he just came in the door, why?

To Luhan from Jongin:  

Thanks! I’ll hurry as much as I can. Oh nothing, just ask him about 5.b

From Luhan to Jongin:

Will do! Nah take your time it’s not like we are going anywhere soon, and we can just warm up your food when you get here.

Thinking about how grumpy Chanyeol, Beakhyun and Kyungsoo must have become while waiting for him, made Jongin laugh. Normally Kyungsoo is just as patient as Luhan, but when it came to food then you’ll make sure not to mess with him. Putting his phone back in his pocket, he carefully took a look at the direction of the gate and luckily met the sight of an empty gate.

“Should we get going?” Jongin asked. The girl took a quick peek at the gates, nodded and started walking.

Jongin did not think it was possible for the atmosphere to become more awkward than it was a few moments ago, when he had whether or not she had a crush on Kim Woobin. But the thing he thought was impossible became possible. The girl had not spoken a word to him since they left the school, and was looking in every other direction than his. For every step they took, the awkwardness only seemed to become heavier. They have gotten half of the way before Jongin decided that the atmosphere was too unbearable, that he decided to break the ice.

“Soooo, I didn’t catch your name?” Jongin asked, fully aware of her name, hearing Mrs. Yoon call the girl Haru a couple of times. It took a while for her to answer, as if she was debating with herself whether or not she should answer him.  

“Uhm Haru, my name is Kang Haru,” the girl answered insecurely, without looking at him.

“That’s a pretty name. I’m Kai” he smiled.

“I know. I think everyone in the school knows who you are,” she absentmindedly thought out loud, still looking at the ground. Not knowing if he should take it as a compliment or an insult, as he could not identify the tone in her voice, Jongin carefully peeked at Haru. He could see how her eyes widened as she realized what she had just said. Her whole facial expression illustrated how she had mentally faced-plammed herself for the comment she had just let slip out, making Jongin chuckle out loud.

“So Haru why are we going to the hospital with these books anyway?” He asked with sincere curiosity.

“It’s for the children staying there. They’ve got nothing to do other than lying in bed all day, so I thought it would be a good idea to bring them some books, so they could have something else to think of ” she lifted her head and answered. It was first now that he had noticed the books he was holding were all children’s books.

“That’s nice of you. Are you perhaps volunteering at the hospital? Dreaming of becoming a doctor?” Jongin questioned with a smirk. He had learned from experience that everyone have a hidden agenda for the things they did. Whether it was the girls who approach him or the ones who did volunteer work just so it could look good on their college application – everyone had a hidden agenda.

“No, no it’s not like that at all. I don’t come there everyday, only when I got the time. It’s just…I just like being in their company. The children and the hospital make my happy” she replied and unconsciously let out a tiny smile. Jongin could hear warmth in her tone. The sincerity and humbleness that filled her voice when she spoke about them, told him that her answers were not intended to impress him, they were merely articulations of the truth – her truth.

“Why?” Jongin curiously went on asking, because truth to be told, he could not understand how one could like being in a hospital and in the company of ill children, let alone be happy because of that.

“Because they make me remember and forget” she almost whisper and looked down. Before Jongin could ask her about what she had meant, the girl spoke again.

“Kai-ssi we’re here” she said looking up. Following her gaze Jongin found a familiar looking three-storey building that looked more like an apartment building than a hospital. It had not been more than a couple of days since he and his friends had been by Luhan’s uncle’s hospital to pick up Luhan, who volunteered there because of his aspiring of becoming a doctor like his uncle. As Jongin was about to take another step in the direction of the building, Haru had stepped in his path and stopped him.     

“Kai-shii, you don’t have to go in with me, I’ll be fine from here. You can just hand me the books now” she said holding out her hands.

“Nah it’s fine I’ll walk you up, a few more steps aren’t going to hurt me” he smiled, remembering how she had looked, back at the library where the petite girl was hidden by the stack of books she had in her arms. The girl only nodded silently to his answer and proceeded walking in the building. The hospital was build and run by Luhan’s uncle, for those who have not got money enough for the other hospital in the city. It was a mix of a hospital and clinic. Logically Luhan’s uncle’s hospital was not as big compared to the other one, as there could be times where patients could not pay for the medicine, and when they paid, it would often be in other forms of payments than money or the bill would be spilt up, so they cdid not have to pay all at once. One of the main reasons the hospital was still there was because of it was partially supported by Luhan’s parents; owners of one of the largest pharmaceutical company in Korea and China. Many judged the looks of the hospital in comparison to the other hospital, and thought of it as less capable because of the reason it was build as well as the patients coming there, but looks can be deceiving. Because of Luhan’s parent’s connections in the medical industry the hospital had some of the newest technology. Jongin had once heard his parents refer Luhan’s uncle to one of the best doctors of his age in Korea. His parents had not understood why Luhan’s uncle was wasting his time and skills in the small hospital, and was convinced that once he grew tired of “that charity case of his” they had called it, and came to his senses he would go back to the bigger hospital. Entering the building they were met by the receptionist.

“Hello Haru, they’ve been waiting for you, you know where to find them” the elder lady had smiled.

“Hello Mrs.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter