Closer

BROKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Closer

"See you tomorrow then" Jongin smiled and went on his way. Haru had not planned to meet again tomorrow, as the two had earlier agreed that they would wait until next week, so they could read the book and get it refreshed, before they went on writing the assignment. But when Jongin had offered to stay and help her prep for the math test. Even though she had kindly refused, it ended with Jongin singlehanded agreeing that they should meet after school and prepare for it together, and just like the all other few times they have discussed something, this time Jongin also got his way once again. Packing her stuff and getting ready to go home, the only thoughts that occupied her mind were; when did Jongin come in? What did he hear? How much did he hear and which assumptions did he make from it? Haru was relived that Jongin had not asked her about the incident after Woobin left, but at the same time it puzzled her why he had not. Was it because he knew that she and Woobin were related? But then a thought hit her, which made her a bit more calm; *Maybe...maybe the reason why he didn't asked was because he didn't care. Of course he didn't care, he has other things to think of than you and your relation to Woobin. Yeah...that must be it. God why are you so dumb Haru!* Haru reasoned, as she mentally facepalmed herself. A bit calmer, Haru left the library and went on her way. Nearing the school gates, she noticed Woobin, standing by it, waiting for the driver as usual. She did not want Woobin to notice her and wanted to hide, though she was not fast enough, as she noticed him looking at her. Tightening the grip she had around the strap of her backpack, she continued to walk pass Woobin at the gate. Neither one of them made contact with each other, as she passed him. A little further down the road, with the school out of her sight Haru stopped and let out a sigh of relief, grateful that he had not said anything to her, but her relief did not last long when a car, a bit too familiar had pulled up beside her. 

"Get in." Woobin simply demanded, sitting in the car.

"But what about-" Haru worried about if anyone would see them, but could not finish her sentence.

"I said get in" he cut her off sounding, a bit more irritated than before, and without any further ado, Haru did what was told. A suffocating, heavy silence was hanging in the car as the driver drove off. Woobin kept his gaze out of the window, while Haru kept hers on the car floor. She did not dare to look at Woobin, let alone ask him what they were suppose to do, if anyone from school had seen them together. But half way from their home, the black window between the passenger seats and the driver caught her attention and made her look up and then over at Woobin. As it had perfectly concealed the gap between the passenger seats and the driver, he spoke up.

"Does he know?" Woobin asked, still looking out of the window. Completely aware what and who her stepbrother was referring to, Haru looked back at the car floor and answered him.

"I don't think so-" she almost whispered.

"What do you mean by 'you don't think so?’ Does he know or not? It's a simple question. How hard can it be? What did he say after I left? What did you say?" he raised his voice a bit, as he turned around to look at her.

"I-I didn't say anything. I promise! He didn't ask or say anything either. So I don't think he cares... I mean, I only think that he wants to get over with the project as fast as possible" Haru quickly replied, and automatically looked up at Woobin, only to meet his cold gaze, causing her look down again.

"You know when your mother always calls you stupid and dumb, I think she underestimates you sometimes. At least you still got you logic sense, and that has got to count as some intelligence right?" Woobin smirked and looked out of the window again, ending his interrogation. Neither a glance nor a word were exchanged between them the rest of the way.

"We're home" Woobin and Haru greeted as they both bowed to their parents, who were sitting in the living room.

"Did you come home together? That's unusual" Woobin's father commented, surprised by the view of them together.

"Yes, I accidentally ran into Haru in the library and decided to wait for her, since she was heading home too. But it seems like it can't become a habit, since Haru has to stay after school and work on some English project for the next month or so." Even though it was an answer to his father, the explanation had seemed to be directed at Haru's mother. Both of them nodded, and no further question was asked. Mrs. Park interrupted the conversation, to inform them that dinner was ready. Like all the other dinners, they ate in silence. There were only a couple of times where the silence was interrupted, with either Haru's mother or Woobin's father asking about how it went with Woobin's studies. But never did they ask Haru how her studies went, it was not that she complained though. Haru was an average student, no matter how much she studied or how much work she put behind her school work, she was and had always been an average student. She knew and was often told that she could not be compared to Woobin's school achievements, so she had told herself that she was more than satisfied that neither her mother nor stepfather asked her about her studies. As they were about to finish their meal, Haru's mother suddenly spoke.

"Honey, I think it is time to tell them don't you?" Haru's mother asked her husband, as she laid her hand on top of his.

"Yes of course" Woobin's father replied, as he squeezed his wife's hand

"I'm happy to tell you that Maeil Business Newspaper has placed my firm among the twenty best and most successful law firms in Seoul. Your mother and I are also happy to tell you that we six months from now will have a new member in the family" he continued giving his wife a warm smile. Neither Haru nor Woobin was prepared for the news their father had just delivered. Surprised, it had taken them both a couple of long seconds to comprehend what was told.

"Congratulations" Haru sincerely smiled, her voice went up a pitch or two, as a result of her excitement. She was truly happy about the news. She was happy that she soon would have a little sister or brother. But more of all, she was happy to see how genuinely happy her mother and stepfather looked and by that she was sure that this unborn child was going to be wanted and loved by its parents.

"Aren't you going to congratulate us, Woobin?" his father asked. Woobin was still stunned by the news that he had taken a few minutes longer than Haru to answer.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was just surprised that is all. Congratulation" he forced a smile. It was not only the news that had filled his mind him, but it was the way his father looked at her and the warm smile he had given her, which had bothered him.

"Thank you Woobin" Haru's mother replied. After a few more minuets at the table, he excused himself by lying that he had homework that was due to tomorrow. He knew by his father's look that this unborn child was going to be on his father's will. That this child from the moment it enters the world will steal half of his inheritance, because unlike Haru, this unborn child was his father's blood.

 

                “Hello this is ‘W’ what can I help with?” the owner of the club answered the phone

“Hello, can please I speak with Kim Joonmyun?” Sehun replied

“Yes this is he. Whom am I speaking with?” Joonmyun asked curiously

“Oh, hi Joonmyun, this is Sehun. I just wanted to hear if Jongin was there? The idiot turned off his phone, so we couldn’t manage to get in contact with him” Sehun answered.

“Oh yeah he just came in two hours ago. Do you want speak to him?” Joonmyun said, as he was about to stand up and walk out of his office.

“No need. I just wanted to check that he wasn’t dead or anything, but could you please make sure that he gets home?” Sehun asked indifferently.

“Of course, but you know that you didn’t have to ask that” Joonmyun replied.

“Yeah I know, but thank you anyways” Sehun sincerely appreciated. The two of them hung up the phone and went back to their own things. Earlier that night, irritated and bothered by his mother's thousands of missed calls and messages, demanding his presence for dinner. Jongin had, as a result turned off his phone and was now sitting and devouring a stranger’s lips at the club, he had taken his friends to a couple of days ago. He had not bothered to call his friends, as he knew that they would never have joined on a school day, and worst of all they would have tried to stop him, which was not what Jongin needed right now, nor was he in the mood for one of their lectures. He had from experience noticed that whenever he was irritated or needed to get his mind off something, what he was doing now and what he was going to do later had usually solved everything. It usually made him forget the thing he wanted to forget, but this time, no matter how many times he pressed his lips against hers, no matter how much power he put into it, it did not have the effect he wanted it to.

"Easy there. Shouldn't we take this another place" the stranger smiled, while seductively Jongin's thigh. Unaffected, Jongin pushed her of his lap, as he stood up.

"Maybe another time. I have school tomorrow" Jongin nonchalantly yawned. As he was about to go, the stranger had stopped him by pressing her body up against his.

"If you skip school. You can be as rough as you want,” she whispered in his ear, indifferent by the fact that Jongin had just indirectly indicated that he was still underage.

"How boring. Aren't you a bit easy?" Jongin whispered back, before he pushed her away. Flustered and angry, the stranger raised her hand to slap him for his comment, but before her hand and his cheek made contact, Jongin had stopped her.

"I like this face of mine, so I wouldn't do that if I were you" he smirked. Not knowing what to do, the girl tore her hand off his grip and furiously pranced off.  Going downstairs, he went over to the counter to get his jacket, and as he was waiting for someone to get it, the owner of the club came over.

"So, is your 'fun' for the night playing hard to get?" The owner gestured the dancing floor. Jongin followed the owner's gesture and found the stranger he a few minuets ago had locked lips with rubbing herself up against another man, while glancing over to Jongin now and then. Not caring, Jongin simply shrugged as a reply as an answer.

“What, don’t tell me that you’re going home alone tonight? Are you sick? Should we call a doctor?” the owner teased.

“Or have you finally come to your senses and are going to hang out where it’s appropriate for 17-year-olds” he continued, as he started to wipe of the wine glass in his hands.

“Nope just bored, that’s all. But Joonmyun if you don’t want me in your club, you should’ve just kicked me out” Jongin replied with a teasing smile.

“No, it’s not that I’m complaining. You’re the source behind half of this club’s income” Joonmyun joked

“And besides, I won’t be able to check up on you and make sure you get home safely, if you go to another club.” He genuinely continued. Joonmyun has in a short amount of time become very fond of and close to his younger friend, and knew that his friend’s personality was not half as bad as it came out as. He also knew that Jongin would not listen to him, no matter how many times he told him to go home or at least not come in the club on a school night. And if he had forbid his young friend to come to his club, Joonmyun was more than sure that Jongin would have found another one to go to. So instead Joonmyun had let him come to his club, but made sure to send his young friend home safely everytime.

“I think someone wants your attention” he heard Jongin say, bringing him back to reality. Following his friend’s gaze, Joonmyun found a very attractive young woman smiling at him, and as the well-mannered flirt he was, he quickly returned her smile. 

“Well I better get back to work. I called a cap for you, it should be ready, when you get outside” Joonmyun said, without breaking eye contact with the young woman. Jongin found himself smiling at how his friend in no time had smoothly walked over to the interested woman and handed her a pink drink, without asking what she wanted. Jongin knew very well that behind that charming smile, friendly and well-mannered personality of Joonmyun’s, a bigger flirt than Jongin was hidden. And the scene played before him right now was only a conformation of that fact. Jongin had as well, come to see Joonmyun as one of his friends and grown fond of this newly established friendship. Even though he would not admit it, he appreciated the club owner’s genuine concern and friendliness. After paying the cap, Jongin went up to his apartment and straight to bed. It was not that he was sleepy, he just did not have the energy to do anything else and hoped that he would be recharged after some sleep.

 

                He didn’t expect to wake up at noon next morning, since he went to bed a lot earlier yesterday, than what he usually did. But once again he was late and once gain, he had used the secret door to get in the school. He was about to walk over to enter the main building, but the sight of the library made him change his path. Unlike the other times where he had used it as hiding place, both physically and mentally, he had this time entered the library because he was curious. Curious whether or not he would find her in there today as well. Walking a bit further down in the direction of desk, he found her sitting at the table, they had sat by yesterday, peacefully reading the work they had chosen to write about. As gentle as possible Jongin went over to her and placed his bag on the table, earning her attention.

"Kai-ssi?" Haru said surprised

"Don't mind me. Just go back to what you were doing. I'm just here to read like you are" Jongin assured her, as he took out his own copy of ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ and began to read, while she did was what told. Neither words nor looks seemed to be needed at the moment, as the two of them only sat and inhaled, and enjoyed the comfortable silence. The only thing that could be heard in the room was their steady inhale and exhale of air, but neither of them noticed how their breaths had become synchronized, as time passed. Even though they were in the same room, reading the same book, they had both slipped into their own little version of Diana Wynne Jones’ land of ‘Ingary’, leaving behind their worries and problems. Ten minuets before lunch ended Mrs. Yoon returned to the library she found Haru and Jongin too immersed in their books to notice her presence.

"As much as I love to see young people read, but shouldn't the two of you be on your way to your next classes? Lunch ends in ten minuets." The two of the, jerked their heads in the direction of Mrs. Yoon looking for the source behind the one who had given them a little scare. They quickly greeted her, as they saw her, before they began to gather their stuff, to get to class. Haru had on purpose gathered her stuff a bit slower than Jongin, and insisted for him to go ahead, but he had indifferently answered that he was not in any hurry and simply stood there, waiting for her to get ready.

"What class do you have now?" Jongin asked, as they stepped out of the library on their way to the main building. 

"...P.E." Haru answered, her gaze following the concrete ground of the 'out-door' hallway. The little sigh she had let out before answering did not slip unnoticed past Jongin.

"Not a fan of P.E. Huh?" Jongin slipped out a smile, as he looked at her.

"I guess I got caught. I'm just not build for P.E." She replied, looking irritated down at the petite of body of hers. Her sincere irritation of herself traced in her voice and body language, made Jongin laugh out loud, as they entered the main building. Confused Haru looked at Jongin wondering whether he was laughing at her or of what she had said, as she did not think that the statement she had just claimed was funny - it was simply the truth.

"You look like a mad man laughing like that" an emotionless voice claimed, making both Haru and Jongin look to their right, where they found Sehun and Mari, who had just exited the cafeteria.

"Oh hi Sehun. Hi Mari" Haru smiled, as they greeted her back.

"That stone-face you carry around all the time does not fit us all Sehun." Jongin teased his friend.

"Oh wait let me rephrase that. It's not 'all the time' anymore is it. It seems like whenever you are with-" Jongin did not finish his tease, before Sehun interrupted.

"You talk too much. Get going, we are getting late" Sehun indifferently said, as he pushed his friend up the stairs. Leaving the two girls behind, who just looked confused at each other, neither of them seemed to understand what had just happened. As the two boys stopped at their lockers to get they books needed, Haru and Mari went to their lockers, a bit further down the hallway. Opening her locker an unfamiliar little slip of folded paper fell down the floor. Curious, Haru picked it up and unfolded it to read the inscription;

Stay away from Kai-oppa, or else!

"These girl seriously need to stop getting their inspiration from those dramas" Mari suddenly claimed.

"'Stay away from Sehun-oppa, or else!' Can't they even finish a sentence? I wouldn't know whether or not to stay away from him, if I didn't know what they were threatening with, would I?" She nonchalantly continued, and crumbled the piece of paper in her hand.

"Oh you got one too? Here give it to me" she took the piece of paper out of a worry-looking Haru.

"You would think that they would be a bit more original, since they went through the trouble of writing it and not just copy, paste the whole thing, but the name" Mari chuckled, as she crumbled Haru's piece of paper before throwing both of it out in the trash can.

"Come let's get to class" Mari said, after closing her locker, as if nothing had happened. Following her, Haru could not understand why Mari was so calm about the whole thing, because truth to be told Haru was a little scared and worried of what the 'or else' was going to be, if she did not do what they told her to. Deciding that it was for the best not to meet up with Jongin more than what was necessary to write the assignment, Haru needed to figure out some little lie to cancel their meeting today after school. As they reached the end of the hallway, Mari went to her Korean class, while Haru went down the stairs to get over to the gym.

Jongin was sitting in class bored out of his mind of whatever literary period, the teacher was lecturing about. Korean Literature classes were usually not as boring as it apparently was today. Instead of looking at the teacher and try to concentrate, he found himself look out of the windows, where he had a perfect view to the athletic field. Spotting a petite figure make her way to the field, he completely tuned out the teacher. Observing how she along with her class began to jog along the athletic field, he watched how they at first held the same rhythm and ran as one group, but as time past, those with less energy left, fell behind, while others ran ahead. Jongin noticed even though some fell behind, they would always have someone to jog with that is everyone except from Haru. She was behind the rest of her class, jogging alone, at her own pace. Now that it had become evident to him, he realized that the few times he had run in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter