The Past II

BROKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 The Past II

“Look who I found in front of the door.” Kyungsoo’s father announced, as he stepped inside the dining room, with Jongin right behind him, catching everybody’s attention. 

“Heeeeeyyy Jongin. Finally! Where’ve you been?” Chanyeol and Baekhyun shouted at the same time.

“Hey sorry I’m late. I brought vanilla ice-cream as an apology” he held up the bag, he had bought before he got there. 

“Homemade vanilla ice-cream from Fell+Cole?” Kyungsoo looked sceptically at his friend, who answered with a satisfied nod.

“Ah, I guess it’s your lucky day Jongin. We just ran out of it” Principle Do smiled.   

“Apology accepted, but only because I ran out and the ice cream goes perfectly to the rhubarb-pie” Kyungsoo copied his fathers facial expression.

“Here let me take that. Why don’t you go and join them, since you’ve been forgiven.” Principle Do took the ice cream, before any of them could protest and disappeared to the kitchen. Taking a seat beside Sehun at the end of the table, he was handed a plate of Kimchi-spaghetti. The rest of the group then quickly returned their focus to Kyungsoo’s story, about how Aaerin almost burned the house down. Scanning the table, Jongin quickly found the one he was looking for. Once again he found solace and ease within the smiling petite girl seated across the table, two seats away from him. Chuckled at his own silliness and how easy it was for him to forget his worries just by looking at her and hearing her chuckle, Jongin took in a bite of the Kimchi spaghetti, as he still observed her every move.

“How did it go?” The question from his friend caught Jongin of guard and made him almost choke on the mouth full of spaghetti.

“How did what go?” turned towards Sehun, as he cleared his throat of well-chewed food.

“Your talk with Bo Ah. How did it go?” he clarified, reminding Jongin that he had told his friend about his meet with Bo Ah.

“She told me why she left.” Jongin replied, not really answering Sehun’s question

“Did you get what you wanted from the meeting then?” Sehun tried to put it in another way. Jongin took a couple of long seconds to rethink his friend’s question, as he looked at the rest of the group, who oblivious of Sehun and his little conversation, continued to laugh and tease Aaerin. 

“I don’t know.” In some way he did get what he wanted - an explanation, but somehow the feeling of clearance, both mentally and emotionally, that he expected to come from explanation was not quite there. 

“Do you know what to do now then?" Sehun looked at his friend, who had grown a frustrated frown.

"No" Jongin sighed.

"We saw you" Sehun simply informed, taking in the last of his Kimchi spaghetti.

"I don't follow. Who saw whom where?" Jongin confusingly asked

"Haru and I saw you and Bo Ah at the cafe" Sehun clarified, after he had swallowed.

"How? When?" Guilt was what he felt, while 'what did she think, when she saw us?', as well as 'I hope she didn't misunderstand', where thoughts and wonders that instinctually wandered his mind. Jongin was once again caught of guard by Sehun, but even more surprised and confused of the emotion and thoughts that ran through him, by Sehun's piece of information. He did not understand why he had to feel guilty, when he had done nothing wrong or why he was interested in what the petite girl felt or whether or not she misunderstood the information or not.

"Well, to shorten the story; Kyungsoo asked us to pick up the pie, which apparently happened to be at the cafe where you met with Bo Ah" Sehun explained, but before Jongin could say anything, his friend continued.

"You know, Haru is a really sweet girl" Sehun's statement seemed to the oblivious Jongin so sudden and out of context, made him utterly confused.

"Yeah?" Jongin waited for Sehun to continue and explain the sudden statement, though his friend's next sentence did not clarify it, more than it added to Jongin's confusion.

"You better hurry up and figure what you want." Sehun advised and before Jongin could question Sehun's advice and statement, their little conversation was interrupted.

"Right, Jongin?" he heard Yejin ask him. It took a while for the group to explain how and why they suddenly had entered a discussion about the best horror movie. Entering the heated discussion Jongin's mind could not keep going back to Sehun advice and wonder, what in the world his friend had meant to say in between the lines. Sehun would be very clear about what he meant and go straight to the point when he spoke, but from time to time he could also be very vague, when he felt that it was not his business to meddle with, yet still had opinion about. Sadly for Jongin, this was exactly a time where Sehun had chosen to be very unclear about his point.

 

                As a result of their horror movie discussion, the group had decided that there was time for, according to Yejin, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Jongin, the best horror movie ever made in history. After dinner they quickly cleared the table, to move into the living room to enjoy the strange combination of ‘The Exorcist’, popcorn, rhubarb pie and vanilla ice cream. While some had been sent to look for blankets and pillows, others were preparing the refreshment needed. Looking around Jongin suddenly found Haru nowhere to be seen. Coincidentally he caught a glimpse of her back disappear back into the dining room and without a second thought, his legs had automatically followed her.   

"Where did you get that washcloth? I thought they told you not to do anything" Jongin smiled taking the wet washcloth from Haru and continued to wipe off the table.

"I just felt like I wasn't to any help, so I thought that I could at least help with this" Haru smiled a bit guilty. After they had finished their delicious dinner, the group had started to clean the table to make room for the dessert. They had instructed Haru not to help or touch anything, because of her broken finger, but watching the others clear the table without being able to help, Haru's fingers had begun to itch for something to do, so when nobody noticed she got a hold of a clean wet washcloth, with the aim to wipe off the table.

"Haru your finger is broken, you're supposed to be helpless. Besides there are 7 people who are more than capable of wiping the table” Jongin reasoned, making Haru nod, as she watched him finish wiping off the table.

“Sehun told me, you saw us at the café” Jongin looked at Haru.

“Oh, yeah we did. We were there to pick up the pie, but I guess you already know that. I didn’t want to disturb, because I saw you were with Bo Ah, so that’s why we didn’t came over” Haru look apologetically.

“Don’t sound like you’re apologizing. I didn’t call you out on it, because I was angry that you didn’t greet me” Jongin chuckled, amused by Haru’s silly and adorable worries. But then it hit him, why did he inform Haru about it, or felt like he needed to? Before he could dwell too much in the aim of his actions, his thoughts were cut off.

“Did it went well?…Your meeting with Bo Ah I mean” Haru asked in a much lower and insecure tone, as if she was not sure, if she was allowed to ask, which Jongin of course caught.

“Honestly? I don’t know.” Jongin sincerely admitted and as he looked into her concerned eyes, he somehow felt compelled to elaborate. Even though Haru did not utter any words of comfort, as she listened to Jongin, he still felt at ease, while he told her what Bo Ah had said.  

“I guess I’m supposed to feel relived, since she told me her reasons and I’ve talked to her and all, but the funny thing is, I don’t feel relieved and I don’t understand why or why I still feel this anger ” he sighed.

"I...I don't think that you should be so hard in yourself or feel bad about what and how you feel...what I'm trying to say is that there's nothing wrong with the way you feel right now. It's ok for you to feel confused and still feel angry and frustrated, because that's what you’ve felt for so many years. So I only think that it'll be unfair to demand these feelings to disappear over a cup of coffee... What I'm trying to say is, that it's ok to take the time you need to forgive, because if you don't and instead force it, it won't fair for both parties and it won't be forgiveness" Haru tried to put her thoughts into words, hoping that it all made sense. Letting out and amused huff and smile Jongin looked down and slightly shook his head, only to look at her again.

"Only you can make it sound like a positive and all right thing for me to still be angry" he chuckled before continuing in all sincerity.

"But thank you Haru. What you said. It really helped" Jongin looked her right in the eyes and kept the eye contact for a long minuet, before Haru shyly looked away all the while she nodded, making Jongin smile at her adorableness.

"You guys ready for some horror?" Yejin's voice caught their attention and as they turned towards the door they found her smiling sheepishly at them. There was something about her smile though, that made Jongin suspect that the horror movie was not the only reason behind it.  Following her into the dining room the others had already placed themselves rather comfortably on sack chairs and pillows draped in blankets in front of television, leaving the couch behind them for the latecomers.

"You snooze, you loose" Yejin smiled at the two, as she quickly placed herself on the last free spot close to the television right beside Chanyeol. Taking their little plate of dessert, Haru and Jongin went over to the couch without any fuss and made themselves comfortable on the economy class seats, before they started the movie. Jongin felt a bit excited, not for movie though. He was excited for Haru's reaction of the movie and maybe even hoped for her to become a bit scared, but as soon as the first horror scene passed, Jongin's hopes were trampled and buried to the ground. As the first horrifying scene displayed on the television, loud 'eeewwws' and jumps of surprise could be seen, as well as heard in the front row, while Haru peacefully ate her pie, without any signs of fright. Intrigued by this newfound knowledge of the girl beside him, Jongin continued to secretly observe her, to see if it really held up or if it was a result of the more gentle nature of the scene. His wasn't let down though, only a few times did the movie get a few reactions from the girl. Haru's 'I'm gland I finished the pie, before this scene' and 'oh, that was brutal' comments, as she casually ate her popcorn amused Jongin and almost made him chuckled out loud.

When one of the movie's rather bloody and violent scenes was about to be played out one the screen, Jongin suddenly felt a light pressure on the side of his arm. Looking to his right he found Haru tiredly resting her head on his arm and as he waved his hand a couple of times in front of her without getting any reaction, he was sure that she had dozed off and fallen a sleep, during the movie he had claimed to be the best horror of all time. Chuckling to himself, he slid his body down and sank into the couch, making Haru’s head rest comfortably on his shoulder. With the most and utter care he brushed away the strand of hair that had taken a rest on her face, irritating it. Jongin little movement seemed to cause Haru’s, as she for a second or two made herself more comfortable on his shoulder. Afraid of waking her up, he held his breath and only when she settled down, Jongin dared to breath normally again. Feeling a bit more daring Jongin took Haru’s hand in his palm. Looking at how her ring- and middle finger was taped together, it not only reminded him of her clumsiness, but also reminded him that she never told him what had caused her fall, and he made a note to ask her when the right time came. About to go back to the movie, he noticed that Haru’s cardigan had fallen of her shoulder a bit, as he leaned over and lifted the fabric to put it back to its rightful place, Jongin suddenly decided to do the exact opposite, as he suddenly noticed a rather large bruise on the side of her arm. *How the helle did she get this? The same time as she fell and broke her finger? No that was a week ago, it wouldn't hvae looked so new by this time* Jongin’s mind kept digging for other reasonable explanations, but instead of keep worrying about it, he decided that it was yet another thing he had to remember to ask her when she woke up and covered her arm and shoulder before mentally going back o the movie.

 

                “Shh, wait wait, don’t wake them yet” Jongin heard someone said, as if the person was standing very far away. After a few seconds, which to Jongin felt like minuets, he knew why he felt so tired and disoriented. Somewhere at the exorcism scene he too had dozed off and fallen asleep. Too tired to wake up, he decided to keep on sleeping – until a flash of light forced him to open his eyes. A bit groggy from his little nap, he still couldn’t distinct anything from anything. Before he could ask what was going on he felt a weight being lifted up from his arm and causing a numbing feeling.

“Is the movie over?” Haru asked, as she rubbed her eyes.

“Mmmhhh” Yejin answered, with her hands behind her back and a sheepish smile on her lips, while the others after a few seconds of starring at Jongin and Haru began to clean up the place.

"I must've fallen asleep. I'm sorry Yejin" Haru apologized sincerely, since Yejin had been so excited for them to watch the movie.

"You're doing it again" Sehun suddenly said, stopping right in front of Haru, with a stable of different shapes of pillows.

"Don't apologize, when you did nothing wrong."  Sehun reminded her, making Haru nod understandingly.

"Besides the movie was bad anyways,” Sehun added before he walked away with the pillows

"Sehun-oppa is right unnie. Don’t apologize." Yejin agreed, before she quickly followed Sehun

"But what do you mean that the movie was bad?" Was the last thing they heard Yejin yell after Sehun, before they disappeared out of the room. Since the others had efficiently cleared everything that needed to be cleared, Haru once again found herself looking in vain for something to tighten up or carry to the kitchen.

"You really aren't the relaxing type are you?" Jongin smiled, as he observed her cluelessly looking around for something to do.

"Let's go down to the kitchen and see if there's something they'll let you do, since you itching to help" Jongin suggested and the two were about to move to the kitchen, when the others suddenly came back with freshly cut provisions in form of different types of fruit.

"We thought, since it was still early that we could take a game of 'Rich man, poor man' Chanyeol suggested waving a deck of cards.

 

                "And that's how it's done" Aaerin victoriously claimed, as she put down the last cards in her hands.

"Oh, come on!!! She's obviously cheating or something!" Yejin exclaimed not believing her eyes, still holding onto too many cards herself.

"Silent peasant! The Queen has not allowed you to speak!" Aaerin exclaimed dramatically. Making the others chuckle.

"Don't be such a sore looser! It's not my fault that I'm so awesome at this game. Besides, it was you, who suggested this deal between the two of us. And I quote; 'The person, who wins the most games, will be addressed as 'queen', while the looser will become the winner's servant for a whole week and do whatever they're told'. Even though I must admit that it was pretty close, it still ended with 4-3 in my favour. So why don't you hand me that slice of watermelon in your hand, little servant, your queen his hungry" Aaerin wiggle her eyebrows.

"Don't be such a bad winner Aaerin" Haru chuckled, before Aaerin could argue how unfair it was, Yejin cut her off.

"No it's ok, Unnie. I’m a woman of my words. Here you go.” Yejin said proudly, as she handed Aaerin the slice of watermelon.

“Here you go, who?” Aaerin asked challengingly

“Here you go, my Queen” Yejin mumbled involuntarily, with a poker face on. Happily and satisfied Aaerin took the slice. After a couple of games, the group decided to end the day. Jongin had no opportunity to ask Haru neither about the fall nor the bruise, since no time seemed fit, as they always were surrounded by someone and before he knew of it they had already dropped her off at her house.  

 

                Waiting for the art class to start, Haru took the last bite of the Baozi, Mrs. Park had made for her. As a result of a text message from Jongin, yesterday, stating that he would not be able eat breakfast with her the next day, Haru had turned her lunch into a late breakfast, since she overslept this morning.

"Good morning, is this seat taken?" She suddenly heard a voice asking.

"Oh good morning Bo Ah-ssi. No, it's all yours" the girl smiled at Haru's answer and seated herself in the seat beside Haru. The teacher stepped into the class, before any other words between the two could be exchanged.

"Good morning everybody. As you all know we're almost at the finish line of your 2nd year in high school, but I still feel that the basis I have, from the previous assignments, isn’t strong enough to give you a fair grade yet, therefore I've decided that for the next few weeks you'll work on one last project, that'll count for 70% of your grade. I want you to be very creative and use what you've learned during our classes together. To make it a bit fun, I've decided that the execution of this project is completely of your own choice; whether you for instance draw, paint, make a collage, sculptures and so on, just be creative. The theme will be 'Dreams & Wishes'. By the end of this project, we'll hold a little exhibition, with your creations in different rooms, where you can invite your friends and families to come. And to make it interesting there'll be a voting system for the audience, where the creation with the most votes will win a grand prize, chosen by me. This project will be made in groups compromised of two or three people. So, what I want you to do now is go and find your partner or partners and brainstorm. You can go anywhere, but it must be within the school. I'll be right here in class, if anyone needs help and I want you to by the end of this class send me a mail about your ideas. Be creative, have fun. But remember that it counts as 70% of your grades" as soon as the teacher ended the announcement, a deafening swarm of loud whispers spread through the room.

"Do you have anyone to work with?" Haru suddenly heard Bo Ah ask her. Surprised by her question, Haru simply shook her head.

"Should we work together then? I really think that we'll make a really good team" the girl smiled. Agreeing to Bo Ah's suggestion, the two decided to stay in class, since everybody seemed eagerly to flee it, leaving it almost empty except for the teacher and the two girls. After a lot of discussing of the possibilities, none of them seemed right, which left Bo Ah and Haru where they had started.

"What about...no just forget it" Haru regretted.

"No, what is it? Any ideas are welcome" Bo Ah smiled politely 

"What about a theme like children and their dreams and wishes?" Haru nervously suggested.

"That sounds interesting. What do you have in mind?" Bo Ah asked.

"Uhm....Actually I've recently brought a book about vintage Polaroid cameras and picture taking. So I thought that we maybe could interview some kids about their dreams and wishes and turn it into a collage of Polaroid pictures. So it'll be a mixture between the new and old generation,” she continued a bit more confident than before.

"But I don't know. Maybe it's a bad idea,” Haru whispered, as she didn't get respond from Bo Ah right away.

"No, no! It's a great idea. I was just thinking that we could turn the room completely white; you know to represent their innocence.” Bo Ah suggested.

"Yeah, that'll fit the theme perfectly” Haru’s confident rose a bit again.

“It’ll be best if the picture was taken with a vintage Polaroid camera, just to emphasis the new and old generation, but where to get such cameras?” the other girl wondered out loud.

“Uhm… I actually…I actually have a vintage one, a SX-70, so it wont be a problem with the equipment. Maybe we could hang the Polaroid pictures in rows from the ceilings and organise them so it'll look like one big 3D heart. So when you step inside the rows to see the pictures and the dreams and wishes, it'll be as if you're stepping inside the children's heart." Haru excitingly suggested. Getting their project approved by the teacher, the two girls went on to plan out the process of their little project, and before they knew of it lunch-break was already there.

"I guess I'll see you in class." Bo Ah smiled, as she gathered her stuff.

"Uhm...Would you like to eat lunch with us? I mean, I'm eating lunch with some of my friends, would you like to join us?" Haru sincerely asked.

"That's really nice of you to ask, but I don't think it'll be a good idea - at least not yet. Besides I already promised to eat lunch with some of the other girls from another class. But thank you for asking though." Nodding to Bo Ah’s explanation, the two then continued to the cafeteria and parted as they reached the destination.

“Hey Haru! You ready for some lunch?” Mari asked as she spotted the petit girl.

"Hi! Almost, I just need to buy it first. Where are Yejin and Aaerin?" Haru wondered.

"Right behind you unnie" turning around by Aaerin's voice, Haru found a very happy Aaerin and a very dissatisfied Yejin.

"I can see that you're using your victory from yesterday to its fullest" Mari chuckled, indicating the tray Yejin was carrying, which had food enough for two people.

"Well, a week passes by very quickly, so it'll only be stupid of me not to" Aaerin smiled victoriously, making the whole table laugh and Yejin look more discontented than before. Letting out an irritated sound, Yejin placed the tray on the table and quickly changed the subject.

"Unnie, what did Jo Bo Ah say to you? We saw you talking, when we were paying for lunch" Yejin explained her question, as the table went silent. 

"Oh...uhm we were just discussing a project we’ve been assigned in art-class” Haru smiled.

“Hm” Yejin simply answered, and this time her discontent look was also vocalized.

“Wow… what was that?” Mari asked with her eyebrows raised.

“What was what?” Yejin asked confused

“Well the annoyed, bitter, solemn and offended sound you just made” Aaerin elaborated Mari’s question

“I just don’t like her that’s all, end of story.” Yejin’s surprising answer made the three girls raise their eyebrows even higher than before and it made them look at the boys for an answer.  

“Don’t tell me that you’re still hung up on that doll-incident Kim Yejin” Kyungsoo laughed.

“Don’t laugh at me! Princess Laura didn’t deserve to become bald. And to top it of, Jo Bo Ah had the nerve to tell me parents that it was me. Unnie don’t become close to her, she’s a two-face lying b-” before Yejin could finish her sentence a spoon of pudding was put in and prevented her from it. Glaring at her the source behind the spoon, Yejin received a cheeky grin from her boyfriend, who handed her his pudding.

“It’s strawberry” Chanyeol grinned widely and without any further ado, Yejin simply chewed and swallowed the mouthful she had and took in a new. Her little outburst and their little interaction led to another outburst from the group, who was laughing and chuckling, as they shook their head at how quickly and how little there was needed to distract her. When the table had settled down, Haru quickly went up to buy lunch. Looking at what they had to offer, Haru could not decide on what to pick.

"Mrs. Park didn't make lunch today?" Since he already had bought his lunch, Haru had told Jongin that he did no need to go with her and when she left, he was still seated at the table. So she had been more than surprised, when his voice right behind her.

"Oh, you surprised me. She did actually, but I already ate it." Haru smiled. Jongin nodded to her explanation.

"But Jongin you really didn't need to go with me" Haru reminded.

"Oh, I didn't. I just forgot to buy something to drink" he said neglecting the unopened bottle of water, he had left back at the table.

"So, what's the project about?" Jongin asked as he paid for their food.

"But Jongin I can pay for my o-" before she could finish her sentence he cut her off.

"Is the project a secret?" Jongin returned to his question.

"Oh, no it isn't." Haru said and began to explain what she and Bo Ah had in mind.

"Sounds like a great idea. But I didn't know that you were into photography and old Polaroids?" Jongin asked surprised, as they sat down by the table.

"I’m not...but my father was. I'm just starting to learn about it" Haru let out a little broken smile.

"Haru, I'm sorry I didn't mean to-" Jongin started.

"No it's ok. It just...I wasn't prepared that's all" Haru assured Jongin. She was surprised by how the memories of her father's suddenly had hit her with full force and made her miss him.

"You wouldn't know where they sell instant films and can check up on Polaroid cameras, do you?” Haru was suddenly reminded that she had no idea whether she had instant film for the camera or if it worked at all.

"No, but I know someone, who does know" Jongin smiled

"Chanyeol where do they sell instant films and repair vintage Polaroid cameras?" Jongin turned around to face Chanyeol.

"Uhhh...you know the place where we use to eat Jangeo Guyi? Right across the street there's a small place owned by Kim Jongdae, he knows everything that needs to be known about Polaroids. Why are you asking?" Chanyeol took another bite of his sandwich.

"It's for Haru's project" Jongin replied casually.

"Oh ok. Just tell him that I sent you, then I'm sure that he'll give you a discount". Chanyeol leaned a bit forward addressing Haru, who thankfully smiled in return.

"I didn't know you were interested in vintage Polaroids. If I had known I would've told you about Jongdae’s place earlier." Chanyeol continued the conversation as he took another bite of the sandwiched waiting for Haru to continue the conversation. The rest of the lunch went by with Chanyeol recommending Haru some books about photography and giving her tips about the right lightning and so on.

 

                Sitting in the class after lunch Haru realised that she never got the address of the Polaroid place. *I guees I'll send him a text* Haru thought to herself. Before she knew it the school day had ended and she was on her way to her locker, and as she reached she surprisingly found Jongin leaning up against it.

“Jongin? What are you doing here?” Haru asked and made him look up from his phone

"Oh, hey! I realised in class that I never really gave you any direction to the Polaroid store" Jongin smiled as he saw her.

“Oh, I was actually about to text you, but you really didn’t have to wait for me” Haru replied sincerely

“It’s ok, besides I want to. So say hi to your new guide. Only if you want to and have time though?” he asked.

“Oh, no I have time. It would be really great, but only if you have time?” Haru asked back.

“That’s why I’m here” Jongin smiled.

“Great, but would you mind if drop by my house first, I need to get the camera” Haru explained, which Jongin had no problem with. The two quickly got their stuff and went to Haru’s house.

Reaching the house, Haru could not help but become a bit hesitant and prayed that no one was home yet. Luckily for her Mrs. Park was the only one in the house. On the way up to her room, Jongin couldn’t help but feel a tiny bit excited to get to see it. Sure he has been there lots of times, but he had always waited for her at the corner of the road, a little away from the house. Jongin believed that the bedroom showed the owner’s personality best, and he could not wait to see how Haru had decorated hers. Stepping inside her room, everything was neat and cleaned as expected. It was equipped with what was necessary of a bedroom; a bed, a bed table, a closet for clothes and a desk. What had surprised Jongin though, were the walls. Jongin had expected there to be some k-pop idols posters or at least pictures of her family to decorate the walls, but none of the mentioned were anywhere to be found and it made the warm peachy colour of the walls turn cold and the room seem a lot bigger and emptier than it was. The only thing that broke the emptiness of the room was the big bookcase leaning against the corner of the wall, right beside her bed. He was more than impressed by Haru’s collection of books – almost envious. As Jongin went over to the bookcase, to examine it a bit closer, he found dozens and dozens of books decorated the shelves, together with framed children drawings and melted bead figures in different shapes and colours.

A knocking on the wooden floor caught Jongin’s attention and letting his eyes wander the floor, he finally found the source. Haru had moved the small bed table aside, and was on all four, listening closely as she knocked the floor in different places. Jongin was about to ask her what in the world she was doing, when the knocking sound suddenly became hollow. Deciding to silently observe her, he watched as she knocked another four times on that hollow place, before she pushed her hand down on the floor with all her strength. With a little squeak and creak, the piece of wood finally gave in and popped open from the other side. Putting aside the wood-piece Haru stuck her hand fearlessly down the black hole on the floor, and after a couple of minuets of searching Haru fished out a small, old, dusted shoebox. Replacing the wood-piece, Haru banged on it a few time, just to make sure it was at its place, and moved her small bed table back, right above the secret hiding place.

“You really hide your stash well” Jongin joked and chuckled. Though he was more than sure that it was the Polaroid camera that was inside the shoebox, he could not help but chuckle as it had looked like she had hidden something either very illegal or something very PG18, because of all the things she had to get through, just to get it. 

“Oh, yeah I guess I do” Haru smiled back. What she did not tell Jongin was the reason she had hidden the camera as well as she did. After her mother had disposed almost all of what was left of Haru’s farther, the SX-70 was the only thing that Haru could save and hide from her mother’s discarding round. It was not until recently that Haru had dared to think of the camera again, but up until then Haru never dared to take it out or even think about it, afraid that her mother will catch her and punish Haru or even worse get rid of the camera. This was also one of the reasons why she hoped that no one was home, when she got back; afraid that they would hear the noise from her room and catch her. She remembered the time when she almost got caught, when she found the hiding place by accident. She had just moved in and had placed the newly bought bed table a little too hard on the wooden floor, when she noticed the hollow sound it made, when the table leg clashed with the floor. Curious Haru had tabbed and pushed the floor a couple of times before she finally found the hiding place. She had quickly gotten a hold of the shoebox, which hid her father's camera and placed it in the hole, before she put the wood-piece back to its place and as she had just finished placing the bed table right above it, her mother had stormed into the room asking her what she was doing and whether or not she had heard a knocking. Claiming that she was just rearranging her new bedroom, Haru's mother had immediately called the pest control, as she had been convinced that it was either mice or rats that had caused the ruckus, she had heard. Luckily for Haru, after a visit of the exterminator a couple of squirrels were found on the attic. Unluckily, the squirrels had unwillingly died to protect Haru's little secret. Looking down at the dusted brown shoebox in her lap, all kinds of emotions rushed through her mind and body, making her letting out a shaky breath, which Jongin caught.

"Are you ok Haru?" He asked concerned, as he had watched her look the shoebox for a few long minuets.

"Hmm? Oh, yes. Should we get going?" Haru's assuring smile failed miserably, yet Jongin simply accepted it – for now - and they left the house. Stepping out of the house, Haru found a black car parked right in front of the house.

 

“It’s a bit far away from here, so I thought that we could use a lift” Jongin said, and opened the car door for Haru, who with protests in the end climbed in.

“Hello again Ms.” Mr. Park, the drive greeted, as Haru entered the car.

“Hi Mr. Lee! How’s your wife doing, now that there’s only a month left? Oh and how did it go with white cabbage leaves and dandelion tea? Did it help with the swelling at all?” Haru smiled.

“Thank you for asking. She’s very well, especially after your advice about the white-cabbage-leave-wrap and the tea. She told me to thank you” Haru could see Mr. Lee smile at her, which could be seen in the front-mirror of the car.

“I’m glad to hear that and your very welcome. I’ve seen Mrs. Park, our housemaid, do it on my mom so it’s actually her we should be thanking. I’m just spreading the word” she grinned, making Mr. Lee chuckle.

“So where’re we heading Mr. Jongin?” the driver looked over to Jongin, who was still trapped in his fascination of Haru and his driver’s little interaction, that he had not heard the driver’s question. He was surprised that Haru, who had only met the driver once, knew more about the driver’s current family status, than Jongin did. Jongin must admit though, that he had never seen as Mr. Lee anything else but a driver, who was working for his parents, so it had never occurred to him to ask Mr. Lee about how he was doing or anything about his private life for that matter.  

“M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter