Project Partnes

BROKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Project Partners  

Jongin could not wait till weekend started. The interview set up by Kyungsoo and an uninteresting Physics class, had left him tired and slightly irritated. Kyungsoo was the editor of the school’s newspaper and had for months begged for an interview about Jongin’s grandmother, the woman behind ‘Kim Hyeatt Seoul’ one of Asia’s biggest and most acknowledged hotel- and resort chains. But Kyungsoo did not want an article about “The Iron Lady”, a nickname the business-world had given her. He wanted an article that covered the other side of the strong willed businesswoman that was hidden from the rest of the world and only known to Jongin. It was almost as if the accidental school-library-visit two days ago had given Jongin permission to think about her again, and made him feel ready to talk about her again. So when Kyungsoo had asked him for the thirtieth time, Jongin had agreed to give him an interview, not only because he felt ready to talk bout her, but also because he trusted his friend enough to know that Kyungsoo was not trying to turn and twist his words nor put his grandmother in a bad light. But things did not turn out the way it was supposed to, and slightly irritated he ended the interview almost right after it started.

After Physics class ended Jongin together with Mari and Sehun packed their bags and went up to their newly assigned English class. Just like the Chemistry classes, the Physics classes were also placed in the basement, so it took them a while, before they reached their new class.

“So what happened at the interview that made you this irritated?” Sehun asked, as he had noticed his friend had been less chatty when girls had approached him today and looked a bit more tired than usual in Physics.

“You know what the idiot did?” Jongin blurted out, to which Sehun remained silent, waiting for the answer.

“Instead of interviewing me himself, he let two girls do the interview. And how do you think that went?” a rhetorical question Sehun knew the answer to.

“Since when have you, Kim Jongin, become upset over girls?” Sehun teased, while keeping his usual emotionless face.

“Since they started to ask me about my favourite colour, favourite food, favourite place, my ideal type and my freaking shoe size. As if they were writing a profile or biography or whatever it’s called, for a teen magazine” Jongin frustrated ran his fingers through his hair. Even though it happened quite frequently, he hated when girls asked him such question. Jongin was certain that answers to those questions would benefit neither him nor the asking females, since he had no intention to get to know them for more than one night anyways. 

“So what did you do then? I mean with the interview, did you answer their questions?” Mari asked, as she had been looking at the two boys conversation.

“I left” Jongin answered shortly, as they entered the classroom.

“In the middle of the interview? You left just like that?” Mari raised her eyebrows, to which Jongin gave a nonchalant nod.

“You really live up to your bad boy image huh?” Before Jongin could send back a cheeky reply, he noticed she had abruptly stopped walking. 

“What’s going on?” Mari whispered, making Jongin and Sehun look at the four girls who had surrounded Jongin’s assigned table. Curiously Jongin took a step forward, leaving Mari and Sehun behind him. As he was towering over the girls, he caught the sight of Haru with her English books in her arms and backpack resting on her shoulder. Jongin was not stupid, even though he had not heard what had happened. He knew exactly what was going on.

"Haru, where are you going?” he asked her, pretending to not have any clue of what was happening. He could see Haru was about to answer, but got interrupted by the girl right in front of him.

“Oh hi Kai-oppa. She's not going anywhere-” Jongin could see the girl smile widely out of the corner of his eye.         

“Then sit down, class is about to start” he looked at Haru ignoring the girl.

“It’s just that she agreed to switch seats with me and-” the girl continued with her high-pitched voice, not picking up Jongin’s hint.

“But I didn’t” Jongin cut her off coldly, as his irritation from before had grown to annoyance. He could not cope with having some attention-seeking squeaky-voiced schoolgirl, who was going to question him in every Math and English class and disturb his sleep, as a seatmate. The only persons in the classroom who most likely would leave him be, were Sehun, Mari and Haru. And since two of them already were unavailable, Haru was the one left. Even though Jongin did not know the Haru well, since he literally only had spoken to her four times, but out of the four times he had spoken to her, the girl had almost seemed unwilling to speak to him, as if it was out of courtesy when she had answered his questions, and at one point she even ignored him. For a second the thought of her being uninterested in him both confused and irritated him, but as quickly as the thought came to him, just as quickly he had shook it off, taking her actions and reactions as shyness. That was something Jongin could handle - shy girls would not disturb his sleep.   

“Uhm I think what Kai-ssi meant…uhm I mean…I think Kai-ssi just wanted to remind us that we have fixed seats, and he just don’t want you to get in trouble with the teacher” Haru had nervously spoken, making Jongin snap out of his thoughts. A whisper Jongin could hear clearly went thorough the classroom, and the girl who had nearly become his new seatmate was thanking him for his unintended concern. As the teacher entered the room, everyone found their own seats. Tired Jongin laid his head on the table and was about to doze off, as he heard the last bit of the teacher’s announcement, which caught his attention.

“…I want you all to look at your seatmate and say hello to your new English project partner” to which Jongin turned his head around facing her and made eye contact.

“Annyeong partner” he smiled cheekily. *This is going to be interesting* he thought, seeing how the girl’s facial expression turn from confused to agitated, as she realized the jealous gazes from the other girls in class. She quickly nodded before returning to take notes about the assigned project.     

“The project will not be a class presentation, but instead you and your partner will write a ten-page paper on a literary work of your choice. It will be due to a month from now, so my suggestion is to quickly find the literary work. Now lets look at the grammar homework for today.” The teacher ended her announcement. Seeing her focusing on her taking notes Jongin closed his eyes and dozed off. When he woke up, the class had already ended and Haru was nowhere to be seen, not giving it a second thought Jongin followed Mari and Sehun out of the school building. On their way they had happily started to discuss their plans for the weekend, and as they were stepping out of the building Jongin whipped his head to his left, trying to get a strand of hair out of his face. Suddenly he saw a too familiar figure unsuccessfully trying to hide herself behind the sidewall of the building. Her head popped out and looked at the direction of the school gates, and quickly withdrew again. Jongin found himself following the direction she was looking and once again found Kim Woobin standing by the gates. Intrigued he started to move in her direction.

“You guys go ahead, I have to check on something’” he told Mari and Sehun.

“Where are you going?” Sehun asked curiously, watching Jongin jog away.

“Going to find my project partner. Just go ahead” Jongin waved, and as he came closer the girl’s hiding place a corner of her black school uniform skirt became visible. Reaching the corner of the building, he popped his head to the side and revealed himself to the girl.

“You know you’re really doing a bad job if you’re trying to hide. I could see you all the way from the entrance” he teased, making Haru flinch in surprise.

“Kai-ssi” she softly relieved, with her palm resting on her chest. Jongin took a couple of steps forward into her hiding place, and as he did that she took a couple of steps backwards while looking down. 

“So what are we going to do with the English paper?” Jongin asked, wanting her to face him.

“Uhm…You don’t have to do it…I mean, I can do it by myself. I won’t tell the teacher anything. I promise” Haru stuttered. She wanted nothing more than to write the paper herself, not only because she did not want anymore attention from the female population of the school than she already received, but also because that is how it always had been. Whenever the teacher had assigned them group work, she would always end up doing it all by herself.

“Do you really think that lowly of me? Here I was just going to ask you, which literary work we should to write about and then you take me for some lazy, dumb student” Jongin faked a sigh. He looked at the girl who instead of looking on the ground, was now looking at him. Astonishment, panic and guilt were painted all over her face.

“No, it wasn’t like that…I mean, I just thought…I’m sorry I didn’t mean it that way” she quietly apologized. It took all his strength and acting skills not to let out a chuckle, when he realized that she had taken his previous comment so seriously.   

“Good. Now that we have that settled, then let’s go to the library and find a literary work” Jongin continued and started walking in the direction of the library. Taking out his phone, he was about to message Sehun that they did not have to wait for him, when Haru spoke up again.

“Uhm Kai-ssi?” Turning around he saw that she had not moved an inch from where he had left her.

“Aren’t you coming?” he asked curiously.

“I sorry but I can’t today. I promised Aaerin to visit her after school.” She gently replied.

“Oh, ok. Let’s do it another time then. What’s your phone number?” Jongin said looking at his phone ready to type down her phone number.

“W-wh-why?” Haru asked looking at him with a confused look. Unprepared for the answer she had given him, he returned her look with his very own confused look. Firstly girls did not, no - girls would not reject time with Kim Jongin. Secondly no girl had ever questioned him, whenever he had asked her for her number. So when Haru had asked him why, it had taken him by surprise and stirred his curiosity.

“Well we need to find a literary work for our assignment and since we only have a month or so, it’ll be nice if we found it as soon as possible. And exchanging phone numbers would expand and make our communication possibilities a bit easier, since we only seem to run into each other in the library and English and Math class” Jongin quickly tried to brush her question off with his logical answer. He could see how she carefully evaluated his answer, before giving into it and dipped her hand in her pocket fishing out an old iPhone three. He watched her attempts to get life into the old thing by pressing the home-button. After a couple tries it had seemed like she had given up, until she suddenly started to shake the phone uncontrollably before pressing the home-button again, which made the phone miraculously lighten of life, making her able to find her own number. At this point Jongin who had tried to hold his laughter, had given up and let out a chuckle.

“But now that I’ve seen your phone, I’ll withdraw my comment about easier communication“ He chuckled.

“Yeah it’s a bit old, but don’t worry it works. It just needs a bit help sometimes” she sincerely replied. As she just finished giving him her number, she looked at the time, and realized that if she wanted to spent a time with Aaerin and get home in time so her mother would not suspect her again, she would need to go now. She took a peek at the school-gates.

“Kai-ssi I need to leave now, but I have some suggestions for the assignment, I’ll text it to you later” she said feeling a bit guilty for not being able to stay and discuss the assignment, but she knew that Aaerin was waiting for her and she had no intention to go back on her promise. Jongin, who had been waiting for her to ask about his number, was left speechless, when the girl bowed to him before jogging away. When he got back to his senses, Haru was almost by the school-gate. He quickly dialled her number and the phone started ringing. He could see how she stopped and looked at her phone confused before taking the call. 

“Hello Haru speaking” she softly answered.

“How were you supposed to text me, when you don’t have my number?” Jongin asked with a smirk on his lips. At his question Haru turned around and found Jongin leaning up against the school building’s corner looking at her. 

“Oh yeah that is right. I’m sorry I’m can be a bit forgetful” and ended her apology with a light bow.

“No need to apologize. But you have number now. Weren’t you in a hurry?” Jongin waved goodbye to her and she to him, and went their ways. Jongin assumed that Sehun and Mari already had reached the apartment building, when he had not run into them. Not that he minded walking alone, and Jongin was sure that Sehun neither minded nor noticed his absence. A few meters away from his apartment, Jongin’s phone started to vibrate. When he had fished his phone out of his pocket, he found a group message waiting to be read.

To Jongin, Kyungsoo, Sehun, Luhan, Beakhyun, Chanyeol from Kris

Guess who’s back in town for the weekend? So who wants to take me out to Samgyupsal tonight?

To Kris +6 others from Luhan

Really that’s great! Why didn’t you tell us earlier that you were coming this weekend?

To Luhan +6 others from Kris

Didn’t know before a couple of hours ago myself. But are you guys in or what?

To Kris +6 others from Luhan

Yeah of course!

To Kris +6 others from Beakhyun

Chanyeol and I are in too! Who can't say no when the almighty Kris is paying!

To Kris +6 others from Kyungsoo

I know a good place! So I’m in too.

To Chanyeol +6 others from Kris

Wait who said that I was paying? As far as I remember I wrote:  who wants to take me out. And not: I’m paying.

To Kris +6 others from Jongin

Just give it up Kris. You’re never going to win when those two have ganged up against you. I’m in too.

To Jongin +6 others from Kris

Fine, I’m paying then. What about you Sehun?

To Kris +6 others from Sehun

Sorry but I can’t. I’ve got an appointment with my parents today.

To Sehun +6 other from Beakhuyn 

Come on Stone-face have some fun and loosen up once in a while would you? Ditch them! How long has it been since Kris was in town? And to add on that, this time cheap-Kris is even going to pay hahaha!

To Beakhyun +6others from Sehun

I can see someone has been creative with those nicknames in his spare time. I cancelled on them last time, so I can’t cancel again.

To Sehun +6 others from Kris

It’s fine, I’m here for the whole weekend, so you still got a chance to meet this handsome face of mine. And Byun Beakhuyn you’ve now been officially uninvited from my guest list and can pay for your own meal. Sincerely CHEAP-Kris

 

Jongin let out a soft laugh, when he had read the message from Kris. Kris was also a part of his close group of friends, and if it was not that he had moved he would also have been a student at DO High School. Unlike Jongin’s parents Kris’ parents actually had a genuine interest in their son’s wellbeing, not because he was the successor to their business, but because he was their son - their flesh and blood. Jongin had always been deadly jealous of this specific characteristic his friend’s parents’ shared. But then again Kris’ parents’ genuine care did result in that his friend was now living with them in Beijing. Instantly his phone started to vibrate again, as a result of responds from Beakhyun. But Jongin decided that he had been standing outside the apartment building’s entrance long enough and that the messages could wait till he was inside his own apartment, and began to type in the code to the building.

 

                The watch had showed 5:40 pm when Haru left the hospital. Her early leave was a result of her mother’s call, asking of her whereabouts. Once again she handed the same lie as last time her mother had asked, hoping that she would not get suspicious. Without any further explanation, she was told to get home. Fearing what might have happened at home, she ran as fast as she could. And when she finally entered the house she was panting and out of breathes.  

"Mom I'm home did something happened?" Haru asked concerned as she saw her mother sitting on the couch, in the living room.

"What do you mean 'did something happened'? We have an important dinner tonight, with your father’s law firm. Or is that brain of yours too small to memorize things your brother told you a few days ago?" Her mother said harshly, as she had stood up and walked towards Haru. Haru looked at her mother confused, this was the first time she had heard about the dinner. She would have remembered it if her stepbrother had told her anything, since he rarely talked to her. Carelessly she let a sentence slip out, she regretted as soon as she heard herself say it. 

"Mom, Woobin hasn't told me anything about the dinner tonight" she said earnestly. But as soon she had finished her sentence, her mothers palm had once again made contact with her cheek. 

"Don't you dare lie! Are you so shameless that you blame your brother for you forgetfulness, you stupid girl?!" Her mother asked angered. Haru had by instinct taken her hand and covered the area on her where her mother's palm had made contact, hoping that it would take some of the hot and stinging sensation away. Too occupied with repressing her tears, she had not answered her mother's question as fast as her mother wanted, and as a result her mother had pinched her upper arm with all of her strength, making Haru wince in pain. 

"Why don't you answer me your dumb girl?! Does that non-exiting brain of yours even work?" her mother asked, not letting go of her pinch. Before her mother could continue, Woobin had interrupted her.

"Haru is telling the truth, mother. I'm so sorry, but I had so much to think about this week, with school and the student council that I must've forgotten to tell her about it." Woobin said as he walked down the stairs, wearing a sleek black suit. At that instant Haru's mother had let go of her upper arm, and quickly composed herself. 

"Oh is that so. Don't you worry about it dear, everyone can be forgetful sometimes, and to add to that you had so much to think about this week. You should take a look at you brother Haru and become a bit more like him. Why don't you thank him for clearing things up Haru?" Her mother said with her honey filled voice. 

"Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding Woobin" Haru stuttered and bowed. 

"It's fine nothing to thank here. But you should get ready, we're leaving soon" he smiled at her, to which she answered with a nod and was on her way up the stairs, when the voice of her mother stopped her. 

"Haru wear a long-sleeved dress, ” her mother told her coldly. 

"Yes mom" Haru answered shortly, before moving on. As she closed the door to her room, she quickly walked to her closet and found the only dress, which had 3/4 sleeves. She took out the simple indigo-coloured dress and started to undress herself. Walking towards the mirror with the dress in her arms, the reflection revealed countless of wet tracks down her cheeks, left by the tears she had tried so hard to hold back. For a second Haru noticed the red mark her mother had planted on her upper arm, which will bloom into a mix of all the shades of blue and purple, by tomorrow morning. But it was just one of many in her garden of bruises and marks planted on her body, by her mother. Unconcerned and indifferently she wiped away her tears and proceeded dressing herself, hoping that the sleeves would be long enough to hide it. Luckily, her mother was a smart woman, who knew where to place the bruises and marks, where Haru's clothes could easily hide them. She was fussing with the dress’ back zipper, when someone knocked on the door.

“Haru are you finished?” a gentle voice asked. Haru could recognize that tender and soft voice everywhere. Mrs. Park had been the maid of the house, since before Haru and her mother moved in. And instantly the older woman and young girl got along with each other. Haru would help with the old maid’s housework whenever her mother and stepfather was not there, while the old maid would sneak snacks and food up to Haru, whenever she was sent to her room without any. It was not long after Haru and her mother had moved in the house that the old maid witnessed how poorly the new lady of the house treated her daughter, and immediately she took pity in the pure and kind-hearted girl. The maid had at one point almost spoken up against this awful treatment, but was stopped by Haru who had begged her not to interfere, which she then promised.

“Mrs. Park please come in. Why haven’t you gone home yet?” Haru asked concerned. Usually Mrs. Park worked at the house until 08:00 p.m., since she had to make dinner and clean up after it. But Haru only assumed that her mother and stepfather had let Mrs. Park go home early since they would not be eating at home tonight.  

“I’ve got a few things to do before heading home. Let me help you with that zipper dear” Mrs. Park lied, and laid the small plate with cut fruits on the desk and went over to zip Haru up. Like Haru assumed, her stepfather did let Mrs. Park off of work a bit earlier today, but as Mrs. Park was about to leave the house, she had overheard Haru’s mother and it had concerned the old maid, who had decided to stay, to check up on the young girl. Mrs. Park took Haru’s hand and led her to the chair by the desk.

“Sit down and eat. And I’ll see what I can do with this big and wild hair of yours” Mrs. Park teased and gestured the plate with newly cut fruits.

“But-” Haru was cut off before she could continue her sentence.

“No buts. Now sit down and eat, or have I wasted my time and effort, cutting those fruits for you?” Mrs. Park argued. Haru knew that she could not win any arguments with Mrs. Park, and did was she was told. As she sat there and happily enjoyed the fruits, Mrs. Park had started to tame Haru’s big, wild and wavy hair, by braiding a single loose French braid. Some of her wavy hairs that were too short to be secured in the braid fell down and frame her face. When Mrs. Park finished braiding Haru’s hair, Haru also finished the fruit plate.

“There, don’t we look pretty tonight” Mrs. Park complemented Haru and softly her cheek. Haru could only return half a smile as a response, because she knew that if there was something she was not, then it pretty. Mrs. Park caught the sadness and doubt in Haru’s smile, and was about to assure Haru about the truth behind her compliment, but was interrupted by a knocking on the door. Both of them went to open the door and on the other side of the doorframe Woobin could be found. Mrs. Park bowed to both of them, before she went on her way home. Silence had filled the air as they were standing there, and when Woobin was sure that the old housemaid had gone down the stairs, he broke the silence.  

“Your mother sent me up to tell you to hurry up, the car is waiting for us” He said unemotionally as he looked at her, to which Haru bowed and whispered a “thank you” and quickly went over to her closet to get her black crossover handbag and ballerinas.

“I didn’t know that Kim Jongin had such a plain taste in girls. What did the great heir of Kim Hyeatt Seoul want with you?” he stated looking at her with and empty gaze and leaning his shoulder on the doorframe. Haru had just found her stuff and was on her way over to the door, as he questioned her.

“I…it’s a misunderstanding. We’re just writing an assigned assignment together.” Haru quickly stuttered, wondering when he could have seen them together.

“Well that explains it doesn’t it” Woobin smirked and walked away. Haru quickly followed him and did not give her speculations a second thought. Ever since Haru had stepped in the house and become a part of the family, Woobin did not hide his hostility whenever they were alone. Which was why Haru knew that his questions were not out of concern, Woobin could care less about her life and what she was doing with it. The only thing he wanted from was for her to stay away from him, which he made clear on one of the first days she moved in. They were all in the living room, that day when Haru had refused to take on her stepfather’s surname. She had kneeled on the floor and begged them not to change her surname. And as a result she was sent to bed without food for being disobedient. To her surprise her stepfather called her to his home-office the next day to tell her that he had let her keep her surname. She did not get an explanation on why nor she did dare to ask. The only thing she was told was that she should thank Woobin, since he apparently was the one who had convinced them. Overwhelmed and happy she went up to his room immediately after her stepfather had dismissed her. Haru remembered his reaction to her thanks, as if it was yesterday. She remembered how happy she was, when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter