Chapter 3

Secrets

 

“Niel- ah! Wanna go out today?” asked Ricky jumping up and down like a little kid. 
“I can’t” answered Niel. 
“Why not?~” whined Ricky. “Come on! It’ll be fun!” Ricky grabbed Niel’s hand. 
“FINE! Just don’t touch me” said Niel and placed his hand in his pockets. I almost lost it in front of my friend he thought and shook his head. 
“Really?” smiled Ricky.
“Yes” Niel rolled his eyes. Seeing this side of Ricky really annoys him. 
They went out after their school finished. It was 2 pm when they were already at the mall. 
“Let’s go eat some ice cream hyung!” said Ricky and grabbed Niel’s hand again. 
Niel snatched his hand and followed Ricky. 
Ricky just gave him a confused look and continued his walking. They quickly ordered some ice cream and started walking around the mall. There was a cinema next to the mall and Ricky had a great idea of going there and watching some movie. Niel of course agreed to the idea. 
They watched some horror movie. Luckily for Niel there weren’t a lot of people in the cinema cause it was 2:30 pm. Most of the people are at work right now. Niel sighed in relief at the view of people in the cinema and took a seat next to Ricky. Niel watched the movie, he wasn’t really scared of any scenes, well except one. He was so into the movie until that ‘scary’ scene came up. The killer in the movie went in some woman’s house. He was trying to kill her, of course. The killer continued doing these things and Niel kept on watching intensely. Some things, the killer did caused Niel to shake and spazz really hard. Ricky noticed it and looked at Niel with a worried expression. 
“Hyung… what’s wrong? Why are you shaking?” he asked and reached his hand to grab Niel’s hand. Niel quickly stood up and ran out of the cinema. He was breathing heavily again. Ricky was confused and he followed his friend. 

“N-niel hyung… what’s wrong?” asked Ricky and looked at Niel. 
“Nothing… Ricky” Niel was still gasping for air. 
Even though they’ve been friends for the last two years, Niel never showed this side of him to Ricky. Ricky was baffled by all Niel’s actions. He tried to hug him and calm him down but Niel just shoved him and backed away. 
“You don’t like those kind of scenes, hyung?” asked Ricky.
“N-no” said Niel. He was about to cry again, just thinking at his past, his childhood… But he held his tears in. He didn’t want Ricky to see it all. Ricky was worried enough now. 
“Let’s go Ricky” said Niel and forced a smile. Ricky only nodded and followed his hyung back to the mall. Ricky was still worried about Niel.
They went back to the mall and just walked around, looking at some things. Suddenly Ricky remembered the question he wanted to ask Niel earlier but forgot. 
“Hyung! Can I ask you something?” 
“S-sure” replied Niel. Please don’t ask me about the cinema incident thought Niel. 
“Why don’t you ever hold my hand?” asked Ricky. 
Niel sighed at the question. 
“Cause … we’re not dating, of course” Niel quickly made an excuse. 
“But we could” mumbled Ricky. 
“What are you talking about? We’re both guys! It’s just wrong” 
“Oh… okay” said Ricky and looked down. 
Niel noticed Ricky’s mood and bit his lip. He felt kinda sad now for him.
Niel gained all his courage and raised his hand. He closed his eyes and placed his hand on Ricky’s shoulder. Ricky looked up surprised. Niel actually never touched Ricky before. Not even a friendly hug, but Ricky still hangs out with him. 
Ricky smiled and Niel quickly removed his hand and started to blush. Ricky chuckled and grabbed Niel’s hand. Niel started to shiver but his hand was still in Ricky’s. Ricky noticed his friend. 
“Hyung!” he called. Niel looked at him. “It’s fine! We’re just holding hands! Nothing more.” smiled Ricky. 
“Y-yea… okay” replied Niel and stopped shivering. Niel started to trust his friend with this. He never did this since THAT night. 
They walked like that, hand in hand, till Niel’s house. 
“You really didn’t have to walk me home Ricky” said Niel and let go of Ricky’s hand. 
“Nah, it’s okay hyung” smiled Ricky and got closer to Niel’s face. 
“W-what are you doing?” Niel started to blush and at the same time started breathing heavy, like always. 
Ricky smiled and quickly kissed Niel’s cheek and then left. Niel was just standing there. His heart was beating too fast that could explode at any second. Niel rubbed his cheek and went inside his house.
He… he held my hand… that’s okay but… he kissed me? Thought Niel, kicking off his shoes and then lying down on his bed.
It was sweet but Niel still didn’t like any signs of contact. He always felt uncomfortable and awkward, when someone touches him, it brings him back to what HAPPENED. He sighed, ”Why am I so confused?” he asked himself. He started thinking about the question Ricky was asking today.” We held hands but...he wanted us to date? Where was this coming from all of a sudden? I’m not even gay, I’m straight! Aish my head hurts”

Niel decided to go downstairs and ask his mom for some painkillers.
“Umma, my head hurts” he pouted.
“Oh ok I’ll get you something” she walked to a cupboard in the kitchen. ”How is your head hurting all of a sudden?”
“I was thinking too much” He said jokingly.
“About what Niel?” she said sarcastically walking back to him.
“Nothing, just give me those so I can go” he avoided that question.
“No, tell me first and then I’ll give you” she said teasing.
“Umma!......” Niel wined
“Tell me”
“For a mom, you are so immature...aish, it’s nothing really just something Ricky was talking about...nothing interesting for you” he said rudely
“You’d be surprised at what I find interesting” she continued her nagging.
“Umma...give me the pills” he grabbed it out her hand and ran up the stairs.
He had water upstairs already so he took the pills and lied down on his bed. 
Then this random thought came in his head,” I wonder if I’ll ever see that guy from the library again? Probably thought I was weird for running off like that… But I couldn’t help it” he frowned.
He shook his head and reminded himself that, it was nothing to worry about. He eventually fell asleep.