Chapter 11

Secrets

 

“So…” started Ricky. “You’ve been talking about me?” he raised his brow. 
“Uh yeah” nodded Niel and the two of them went in Niel’s room. 
“Why?” asked Ricky. 
“He saw a picture of me and you together and he just wanted to know who you were. He said that you looked so familiar to him… How do you know him by the way?” Niel asked him and sat down on his bed. 
“W-well… I know people who know people… that know him…” Ricky said awkwardly. “I don’t know him… I just know that he’s a loner and that he doesn’t have any friends, that’s all” 
“Chunji hyung is not a loner” Niel almost yelled. “I’m his friend. He’s not alone” 
“Wow why are you defending him? You don’t even know him that well” Ricky got confused. 
“Well I do know him better than you do! You always listen what other people say Ricky and none of that is true. And why do you hate Chunji hyung so much?” Niel stood up. 
“I… I don’t hate him… “ Ricky avoided Niel’s eyes. 
“Then why do you keep saying some bad things about him? It’s pretty obvious that you don’t like him” 
“I…um..” Ricky didn’t know what to say. 
“Why?” 
“Why do you care?” suddenly Ricky exploded. He looked at Niel and there was anger and sadness in Ricky’s eyes. “You’re always with him and never with me. I was supposed to be your best friend not him! You forgot about me hyung…It… it hurts” Ricky lowered his head. 
“That’s not true!” Niel tried to defend himself. “I’m with you every day at school” 
“That’s the point! We just hang out at school. How many times have I asked you if you wanted to go out after school and you always say no. You never want to meet my friend. You always push me when I try to hug you or even touchyou. What the hell is wrong with you?” yelled Ricky. “And after all that I’m still your friend and I care about you a lot…I love you Niel-ah… you’re my best friend… well at least you were” said Ricky and sat down. Niel was speechless. 
“I.. I didn’t know that youfeltthat way Ricky… I’m sorry” he sat down next to him on the bed. Niel started to argue with himself if he should hug him or not. But at the end he hugged him. Ricky was surprised and it took him awhile to hug him back. 
“Thank you” he mumbled and wrapped his arms around Niel’s waist. 
“What about this…” Niel broke the hug and looked at Ricky. “I’ll meet your friend um…” 
“Changjo?” Ricky smiled. 
“Yes, him” Niel smiled as well. 
“Thank you”

~~

Chunji stormed through the door, “You gotta be freakin’ kidding me!!”
Chunji continued mumbling angrily while slamming the door close.
“Chunji baby, Are you okay?” his mother questioned.
“Leave me alone umma...” Chunji started up the stairs.
“You should answer your mother Chunji!” his father yelled at him.
“You two should just leave me the hell alone!” tears started falling from his eyes as he ran into his bedroom and started crying behind his door.
“Niel probably thinks I’m an idiot” he banged his head back against the door.
“That Ricky guy obviously wants to be more than his friend” 
Chunji got up, and started pacing back and forth.
“Niel’s better off without me...I’m a loner right? I don’t need friends...even boy...I don’t need anyone” Chunji nodded firmly.
“Wrong.” A familiar voice said and started laughing evilly.
Chunji spun around, “Hello?”
Chunji started rubbing his forehead, “I’m hearing things....I’m going crazy”  he sighed, “I should lay down for a second”
He lied on his bed and started closing his eyes when, “C’mon man, you gotta stop living in the past”
Chunji literally flew off his bed shouting, “Who is that?!” 
The voice just started laughing evilly again making Chunji run out of his room screaming.
“There’s a ghost in my room! A freakin’ ghost!” He ran into his parents’ bedroom and buried his face in his mother’s chest.
“What’s wrong with you today?” she asked while his hair
“I don’t know umma....I don’t know...”

After Ricky left, Niel decided to call Chunji. He dialled his number but Chunji didn’t pick up.
He called a few more times but still no answer. He decided at that moment to send a text instead.
I’m sorry about what happened today, if Ricky offended you about that whole ‘loner’ situation, he didn’t mean it and I’m sorry too for upsetting you.....if I did. Yeahokaybye 
Niel flopped onto his bed and automatically fell asleep.

When Chunji received the text message he was already half-asleep.
As he rubbed his eyes, he began reading the text. He let out a long sigh, feeling sorry for ignoring Niel’s called and a bit surprised by the message.
He replied, what are you talking about? It was nice meeting Ricky.....really . He clicked send and muttered, “I rather keep my feelings inside than tell him..even if I do trust him...I can’t let him think that I’m that depressed...”