Silence

Spectrum

 

       "What's wrong with you?!" he growls, towering over me. I shrug stoically, looking down and swinging my legs back and forth. He looks away at my response, taking deep breaths to calm himself. His anger is almost tangible in the air. I smile bitterly, my hair shadowing my face from him.

       "I need you to tell me. What was that for? Why would you do that?!" His voice rose again. I wince, always hating it when he yells at me. He seems to realize what he did because he immediately walks toward me and helps me off the table I'm sitting on before enveloping me in a warm hug.

       "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout. I...I'm just worried," he whispers into my ear with compassion. I shake my head, burying my face into his chest. "Why?" His voice comes out strangled. I wish I could answer him, but I just can't.

       "You are a singer with overwhelming potential. You have people lining up to sign a contract with you. Singing is your life and you're living it!" He holds me at shoulder's length, shaking me, but I refuse to look in his eyes.

       "So why?" I finally turn to look at him with a horribly remorseful gaze, scoffing inwardly at his annoyingly solicitous look. I hold his gaze for a little before breaking away, because those stupid tears are back and I don't want him to see them. My breathing becomes a little spasmodic in my efforts to stifle them.

       Because he's right. Singing was my life, my passion. I was a music fanatic. And now, after four years of dream-like fame, singing had become my identity. But now, no matter how much I want to sing, how much I try to sing, my attempts will be futile.

       I have been sentenced to silence and therefore have been sentenced to death.

       "Jumping off some old bridge won't solve anything!" His voice sharpens and I grit my teeth at his words. Yes it will, I want to say. I'm already living a dead life, why not jump off and end it all?

       But I don't say anything because that ability has been torn away from me, and I'm impotent to fight against it. The degradation I've gone through is just as painful as death itself.

       "For the love of god, say something!" he yells, shaking me even harder. He shakes me so hard the tears spill over my eyelids and I hastily rub them away. A sob threatens to escape my lips but it gets lodged in my throat. He stills and bends down to look at my face, biting his lip after seeing my tears.

       ", Dara...I'm...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm sorry." His arms drop to hang limply by his side and he looks down, still chewing on that bottom lip. I look at him sympathetically, wishing I could tell him I'm fine. Wishing I could tell him there's no problem.

       "Fine, I'll condone your ridiculous idea of jumping off a bridge. But no matter what happened to you, you still have singing, right? You still have a bright career in front of you and nothing can change that." I laugh an airy, bitter laugh at his words, shaking my head and feeling a surge of indescribable anger boil up inside my chest.

       Straightening up, I plant my hands on his chest and shove him away as far as I can, storming into my room and rummaging through the drawers. I pull out a packet of papers and stomp back to where he's still standing, obviously stunned. I throw the papers toward him, breathing hard with overwhelming frustration.

       The papers slowly flutter to the ground and he still stands there, blinking at me with disbelieving eyes. I glare at him a little longer before running out of that place as fast as I can. It's too suffocating and I need fresh air. I want to elude all his words, his looks, his actions, the very things I've been blissfully surrounded with for the past two years. But this time I need peace.

       I burst into the lobby of the apartment building, pushing past everyone and sending them reeling to the side. I get in my car and speed off, breaking all sorts of laws and regulations, but I don't care. My mental stamina is just about gone and this just needs to happen as quickly as possible. I arrive at that place I was standing just a couple hours ago, before he found me. I step out of the car and calmly walk over to the edge, the one spot where the railing is broken. The moon seems to shine with an uncanny brightness.

       Right when my feet begin inching off the edge, I hear him yelling my name. And although my mind tells me not to, I look behind me nonetheless and I seem him sprinting toward me, waving my medical papers in the air and begging me to stop with tears in his eyes.

       I stifle more tears and in my head, I whisper to him, "I'm sorry." Slowly turning my head back to the cold air, I pretend to hum a tune to myself as I lean forward with no scruples. This isn't bravado. This is real and I want it.

       My feet leave the bridge as I begin to fall. He lets out an anguished scream in pain and regret.

       And it's the last thing I hear before the cold waters wash over me.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Author's Note:
A couple aspects in this drabble
are similar to my one-shot, Peace.
But I'm not that creative so...sorry about that haha.