Fire in the Wind

Spectrum

 

       "Don't you just want to let it out?"

       I look to my left in question. She is staring at me with curious eyes, pitying eyes. I smile slightly, turning back to gaze over the waters. Her eyebrows furrow.

       "You've gotta be at least a little frustrated by now, right?" she presses on. My smile fades and I blink as salty winds blow in my eyes. I give her the slightest nod.

       She scoffs, throwing her hands up. "Well if you're frustrated, just let it out! Scream, punch something, break something. Keeping it all pent up isn't healthy, you know." She glances at me expectantly. I remain silent.

       "You could just talk to me about it..." her tiny voice whispers, fluttering away in the wind. I chuckle at her childlike personality, looking down the balcony railing at my feet.

       "Why?" She looks startled at my question; caught off guard. Her sparkling eyes become round and her soft pink lips make a small, surprised "O". Her light eyebrows lift and her curved nose raises just the slightest bit. Her cheeks become tinted a light shade of red as she looks away, flustered.

       "I just...you know. You don't talk much, and I...I just wanna get to know you, I guess." She sounds so unsure of herself I almost laugh out loud. "I want to get you to open up because I've had the same problem and opening up to friends...it just helps. And I know it'll help you too." Her hair drifts upward in the breeze. "Anything you have in there, just let it out and I'll be he—"

       I cut her off, hastily leaning toward her and smashing my lips onto hers. The air seems to get excited as it blows more frantically, chilling and cooling. Yet I can't seem to feel anything except this exceptional fire. This inferno that starts from my chest and spreads through my arms and legs. The brilliant flames at my lips and carry my hands up to her soft hair.

       Slowly, regretfully, the fire recedes and I'm left with a tiny glow remaining in my chest, the warmth resonating through my limbs and my torso. Our lips break apart and immediately I feel empty, the cold air brushing against my lips.

       She looks at me, petrified, stunned, shocked. Her hand creeps up to touch her lips excruciatingly slowly.

       My heart breaks as I give her a sad smile before turning around and walking away, forever.

       But as I leave my life behind, I decide that I will take one memory with me.

       The memory of the fire.

       The fire that makes my life, yet destroys it all the same.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~