Part 9

Noona

“What are you talking about?!”

Kai was confused. There was just too much information on his mind. Two men he detests the most were telling him that Krystal is his half sister; his mother is Krystal’s grandfather’s ex girlfriend and Soo Young is his father’s best friend.

He had a hard time to accept their explanation. He kept resisting their reasons; their words. How could it be? How his father could do such thing?

“Kai, I know it’s hard for you to apprehend everything. But you must believe me when I said that your mother is not a . She’s a wonderful woman with a big heart.”

“Wasn’t she your girlfriend? How could you speak up for her?”

Yul smiled and then tried to put his arm around Kai. The boy didn’t flinch. He just stared at the old man.

“Your parents made a mistake – they made a grave mistake. But that doesn’t mean they don’t love you at all. It’s because of their love for you that drove them to do such mistakes.”

“Krystal didn’t know her father. And her mother died when she was still a baby. My father left us when I was just two years old and my mother struggled to raise me up. Why must he keep making mistakes like these? It’s so unfair to me and Krystal!”

“I’ll tell him off if I ever meet him. I wish he could be more man enough to face up all these problems. But you must not misunderstand your mother. The only mistake she did was with your father and had nothing to do with you.”

“But why must it be Krystal?”

“Kai, I’m sorry. Maybe God has plans like these which we could not avoid.”

“Does Krystal know?”

“She just found out.”

“She’s going to be devastated.”

Kai was worried for Krystal. He had dealt her with a huge blow and now the other impending one might just blow Krystal up in pieces. Her heart was going to crumble further.

“Kai, I’m sorry for chasing your father out. I wasn’t thinking straight. I was really upset that he betrayed me with your mother. At first, I didn’t want to forgive them for inflicting so much pain in all of us but I was as stupid as them. I didn’t think of such consequences – consequences that would make both of my grandchildren suffer because them.”

Kai just kept quiet. His mind was clouded with too much information. He had a bad impression of his father and now it was just getting worse.

“Kai, your mother is worried for you.”

Soo Young finally spoke up. Kai turned to look at him; he saw Soo Young’s swollen nose. He apologized and Soo Young just shrugged it off. He was more concerned about his safety and his mother’s worries.

“At least you care about my mother more than my father. You put on a smile on her face ever since you came into her life again. I’m sorry for punching you in the face.”

“Kai, I should be the one apologizing. I wanted to settle this complicated matter quickly but I was too caught up with my own emotions.”

“I don’t know what else to say. This is insane.”

Kai buried his face in his hands. Just then he felt two pair of hands on his shoulders; squeezing them tightly. He turned slightly to find his supposedly grandfather had that soft look on his face. He wasn’t too sure if he should acknowledge him. He was still confused.

“You look like your father. I’m sorry that I didn’t watch you growing up.”

“It wasn’t your fault.”

“Your mother has brought you up wonderfully.”

“Yes she did.”

“I’ll send you home.”

“I’m actually buying her favourite food. I hurt her.”

“So you’re going to bribe her with food?”

“It usually works.”

Kai managed a small smile. Yul leaned closer and took a good look at his grandson.

“Let’s go home. Don’t make your mom worried anymore.”

Kai nodded his head obediently.

“Let’s have a good talk when we’re home. I’m sure you have a million burning questions that you would like to ask your mother.”

Kai wasn’t too sure what he was going to say anyway. He just followed Yul and Soo Young from behind. His mind was still in a huge mess.

*

Yoong left Jessica’s house and ran to his car. Tears were threatening to fall and his heart was aching so badly. Jessica was still as angelic as she was. Yoong was torn into two – half of his heart is for Tiffany and the other half is for Jessica. He knew he was the root of all the problems that they are facing right now.

Tears fell finally when he thought of Jessica. What the hell did he do to her? Just then, he saw Kai and two men walking behind him. One of them was putting his arm around him. Yoong was stunned. The two men were none other than his father and his best friend, Soo Young.

How come Kai was with them? Did they know something? Did they find out that Kai is his son? Million things went through his mind. The door was open and Jessica stood at the doorway. She was equally surprised to find Yul and Soo Young at the door.

“What are they doing here?”

*

“Kai? YUL?! SOO YOUNG?!”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger when she realized her son was with them. Kai didn’t wait for her to greet him; he just leaned closer and wrapped his arms around his mother. He cried immediately.

“Kai..”

Jessica was taken aback at first but she was quick to wrap her arms around her son. She caressed the back of his hair gently; kissing him on his forehead as the boy let out all of his miseries on her.

“Jessica, we need to talk.”

Yul cleared his throat and then spoke up.

“Do we have to?”

“Kai knows.”

“What?”

“Kai knows everything. And I have instructed Taeyeon to inform Krystal too. They are on the way here.”

“But why?”

“Jessica, Krystal is in love with Kai. I have to put a stop to it.”

Soo Young spoke up. Jessica was surprised. Is Kai in love with Krystal too?

“Kai?”

He stayed still.

“Kai, look at me.”

His mother gently pulled him away and Kai’s eyes were red. It hurt Jessica to see her son like this but she had to know.

“Do you like Krystal too?”

“I’m sorry, Mom.”

“Kai..”

Jessica’s heart ached. That was the reason why Kai put the blame on her earlier on. It was because he likes her but he cannot get her. He must have thought that Jessica was hugging Yul would cause so much trouble for him and Krystal.

“I’m sorry I blamed you for everything.”

“Kai, I’m sorry.”

“Mom, they told me what Daddy did to Krystal’s mother. Was I the reason why Daddy left Krystal’s mother?”

“Kai, it was never your fault. I was just too greedy and your father was too blinded by everything. I felt so sorry for Krystal. I felt like a sinner now because I couldn’t seek her mother’s forgiveness. Everything was just too late. I cannot turn back the hands of time. I didn’t mean to hurt you like this.”

“But Daddy left you too. You were in the same predicament as Krystal’s mother. Daddy’s the culprit for all these mess! I hate him!”

“Kai, you shouldn’t say that. You have no idea what went through his mind at that moment he decided to leave.”

“You still believe that Daddy loves us?”

“Kai, Krystal’s mother means a lot to him too. I was the third party.”

“But he still left you! He’s nothing but a jerk! I hate him! He’s the cause of all these problems! He should have known that you were dating Krystal’s grandfather but he still did it anyway!”

“Matters of the heart are difficult to control, Kai.”

Yul finally spoke up. His grandson was clearly upset with the events that happened.

“But you’re his father! It would be weird if I have designs on his new girlfriend, isn’t it?!”

“Kai, all these are in the past. We could do nothing to turn back everything around. We just need to move on. Move on and try to live as days pass by.”

Soo Young spoke up as well. Kai turned to look at him. He was glaring at Soo Young and then he moved closer to him.

“You should marry my mother.”

“What?”

“I think you can love her better than my good for nothing father did.”

The three adults were stunned with Kai’s suggestion. They never expected him to say that.

“I’d prefer you to marry my mother. I think you’re a good man. You worry for her all the time. Even after I hurt you, you still went out to look for me; coming up to me and persuaded me to go home. I can feel your sincerity and genuine feelings for my mother. You love her more than anything else, right?”

“Kai..”

“Just marry her. Take good care of her. I’ll give you my blessings.”

Soo Young was speechless.

*

Yoong overheard everything. His heart sank when he heard what Kai said. He should have guessed that when Kris hit him was because Krystal likes Kai. And Kai likes her back. His two children were in love.

Yoong leaned against the door. Things have gone crazy. And it was his entire fault – he couldn’t blame anybody. Suddenly he saw two figures walking towards him. He recognised one of them – Kim Taeyeon, his mother. Yoong quickly hid himself behind the pillar. Taeyeon didn’t come alone. She came with his daughter – Krystal.

Yoong knew tonight was going to be a long night.

*

“Krystal?”

Krystal pulled her grandmother back. She wasn’t ready to face the ugly truth that was soon going to break her heart further. Taeyeon’s heart softened. She stopped as well and pulled Krystal into her embrace.

“I’m not ready.”

“I know you’re not. If you want, we can go home. I’ll tell your grandfather.”

“No..”

Krystal held her grandmother’s blouse tightly. She wanted to face the truth. She wanted to know the truth. She wanted to understand why her father did what he did.

“Just don’t leave my side, Mama.”

“I will not. I’ll stay with you for as long as you want me to.”

The younger girl took a deep breath and nodded her head. Her grandmother leaned closer and kissed her forehead. She wished Krystal didn’t have to go through all this but everything has been said and done. They had to unveil everything so that they could start anew all over again.

“Mommy, save me.”

Krystal whispered softly in her heart.

*

Soo Young opened the door and Jessica turned to look at the door. Kai was already staring blankly at the door. The person at the door hesitated to come in but Soo Young was gentle enough to persuade her to come in. Jessica held her breath when she saw Krystal and then Taeyeon following behind her.

“Unnie..”

Jessica whispered softly. Taeyeon went straight to Yul and the old man quickly held her hand tightly. Krystal was looking down and she stood timidly behind Soo Young. Jessica staggered slowly in front of Krystal and knelt down in front of the girl. Krystal looked away.

“Krystal, I’m sorry.”

Jessica spoke softly. She carefully caressed Krystal’s cheeks. They were wet. Krystal’s tears have slowly trickled down her cheeks.

“Krystal, I’m really sorry. If I knew that you and Kai would be the ones suffering, I wouldn’t do anything. I was too selfish. I just wanted the best for myself. In the end, I got hurt and so are our kids. I’m regretting so much now, Krystal. Your mother was a fantastic lady. I wished I could have a chance to seek her forgiveness.”

Krystal just stared blankly at Jessica. The lady in front of her was crying so badly. She then slowly turned and her eyes searched for Kai’s. They met but only for a brief moment. Kai quickly looked away; not willing to let Krystal sees his tears.

“Krystal, Dada and Mama are really sorry too. It’s our fault that such things happened. We didn’t teach your father properly. We have failed as parents. I’m sorry that you’re hurting so badly inside.”

Yul knelt down in front of Krystal as well.

“So Aunt Jessica was your ex girlfriend and my father was having an affair with her behind my mother’s back and yours?”

The two adults didn’t nod. Jessica was already embarrassed by that.

“What kind of man is my father?”

“Krystal, he was just too young.”

“That didn’t give him the privilege to do such things!”

Kai agreed with Krystal’s sentiments. He too realized that their father was the root of the problem. He was the cause of all the downfalls both families faced right now.

“He should learn his lesson with Aunt Jessica and Kai. But why did he shrink his responsibility once again and ran off?”

“Krystal, I brought your father to visit your mother’s grave when I saw him again. He was searching for your mother and you. I was the one who broke the news to him; told him that your mother was pregnant with you. He was devastated but I couldn’t help him because your mother ran away and hid from us.”

Soo Young spoke up after a long silence.

“Your father loves your mother but he just realized it too late. He was remorseful and completely distraught after knowing that your mother has left him for eternity. He was in complete mess but I never thought he would run off again. Maybe he was confused and he didn’t think he deserved to live when your mother had gone forever.”

“So did he kill himself?”

“Krystal!”

“I don’t need such father! He hurt so many people including Kai! Kai grew up hating his father. He’s protective of his mother that he hates his father so much. I grew up alone; without my mother. I wished I could have the chance to protect her but I just couldn’t! I cannot remember her face; I cannot remember her voice; I just grew up learning about her through the stories that my grandparents told me. The only thing I have of her is her photo!”

Kai turned to look at Krystal whose tears were threatening to fall. It hurt him so much to see the girl he cares so much was hurting so badly. He wished he wasn’t part of this mess but he was.

Jessica was sobbing terribly. Krystal’s words were killing her. She fell on her knees because she couldn’t take it anymore. Taeyeon rushed to her.

“Sica!”

“Taeyeon unnie, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. We are to be blame for this – all of us are the reason why the children are suffering.”

Soo Young tried to pull Krystal into his arms. But the girl resisted. Suddenly Krystal took off. She ran off quickly.

“Krystal!”

Yul was about to run when someone stopped him.

“I’ll go after her.”

Kai ran off after informing. The adults were just staring ahead. Everything was in a huge mess.

*

Krystal ran as fast as she could. She didn’t want to stay in that house. She just couldn’t believe how messy her family could be. And why must Kai be her half brother?

“Krystal, stop!”

That was Kai. Why was he chasing her for?

“LEAVE ME ALONE!”

“Krystal, listen! Just listen to me, okay?!”

Krystal kept running. And Kai increased his speed. He rushed up to her and managed to pull her by the forearm. He dragged her to the side and pulled her into his embrace. He hugged her tightly.

“LET GO!”

“If you want to cry, just cry on my shoulders! I’m not going to let you be in pain alone anymore. I’ll still protect you even if I have to. No matter what, I still care and love you like how it was meant to be. I’m your half brother – you’re my responsibility now whether you like it or not!”

Krystal broke down and cried badly on Kai’s shoulders. He just tightened his grip around his sister. Even though they may not be like how he thought they could be, he still couldn’t let her go. He has found a reason to protect Krystal – they are family.

“Cry as much as you want, Krystal. I’m still here. I’m always here for you.”

The two ill-stricken siblings could only comfort each other like that.

*

Kris was watching Krystal and Kai from afar. He clenched his fists tightly. He likes Krystal a lot; more than his younger brother did. Chanyeol had long since given up on his pursuit for Krystal; but not Kris. The first time he saw Krystal, he fell deeply. But he never got the chance to talk to her; only Chanyeol dared to approach her. Kris was acting cool; like he didn’t care but his heart was beating like crazy.

But Krystal was shifting her attention to Kai more recently. He found out that Krystal had just invited Kai to her birthday party out of their classmates. It irked Kris even more when Kai always fetch her to and from school. He never had a chance to have a free time with Krystal. The girl prefers Kai more than him.

“Kai, you’re dead. I’m not going to let you off this time!”

Kris was blinded by his love and consumed by jealousy. He was going to do a lot of damage. He wanted Kai Kwon dead.

Krystal Kwon belongs to him.

*

Krystal finally settled down. But Kai was still hugging her tightly in his embrace.  He managed to persuade Krystal to sit down on the bench but the girl refused to let him go. Kai gently her hair and then wiped the tear streaks down her cheeks.

“Don’t cry anymore. I don’t want to see you cry. You know I hate to see you cry. I’m always going to be here for you, okay?”

“What if I fall in love with another guy? Will you be upset?”

Kai shook his head and then smiled sincerely. He hugged her tightly before slightly pulled her away from her embrace.

“I won’t be upset. But I’ll make sure he’s good enough for you.”

“And I’ll make sure my sister in law is good for you too.”

“You can accept your sister in law?”

Krystal shrugged her shoulders.

“I’m really upset that my first puppy love was not meant to be. But I know you will be a protective brother to me and I think I can make do with that.”

“I’m very fierce, you know?”

“I can see that. I don’t mind. Those idiotic guys cannot get to me.”

“Of course! You deserve the best.”

Despite the smiles they wore on their faces, both hearts were breaking apart.  They tried to console each other and Krystal knew her love for Kai would not fade away. She just needed to remind herself that Kai is her brother.

Kai has always been protective of the women in his life and that included Krystal. He might need to protect his grandmother too.

“Can I ask you something, Kai?”

Krystal pulled herself away and sat upright. She wasn’t crying anymore and Kai was relieved. He pulled his knees closer to his chest and turned to Krystal.

“Sure, what is it?”

Krystal bit her lower lip.

“Can you forgive our father for what happened?”

Kai sighed and then shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know. But I know my mom loves him so much.”

Krystal nodded.

“My mom too.”

“I think your mother loves our father the most. She sacrificed so much for him.”

“Yeah.”

Krystal smiled at the thought of her late mother. Kai thought of his mother too. Both women were suffering because of their father.

“Do you still remember how he looks like?”

Kai shook his head.

“I don’t know. I cannot remember. My mom hides all his photos.”

“That’s funny. My grandparents hide them too.”

“I wonder why he did what he did. I mean doesn’t he care about us?”

“I would like to know too. Does he love me in the first place?”

“I’m sure he does.”

“Really?”

“I love you.”

“You’re different!”

“They say I look like Daddy. You can call me Daddy.”

“Fat hope! They say I look Daddy too!”

“Oh? So we look alike now?”

The two kids were staring at each other before bursting into tears. Krystal was slowly accepting the mess. At least she knew Kai’s going to be there as her brother.

That was good enough.

*

A moment of happiness was soon faded when a twist of cruel fate ensued. Kris appeared out of nowhere with a knife. He was aiming for Kai when Krystal turned her body and protected Kai.

Kris wasn’t thinking anymore as he slammed the knife into someone’s flesh. Blood spurted out and it was drenching his face. Kris finally woke up and realized what he did. He was horrified.

Kai’s eyes were enlarged as horror was clearly written on his face. His hands were filled with blood and a lifeless body; struggling and gasping for air. She looked like a fish out of water. It hurt him so badly.

“MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Kai screamed out loud.

Krystal was stunned when she realized she was in Jessica’s embrace. She turned slightly to find Jessica’s eyes gazing gently at Krystal. She was smiling as she caressed Krystal’s cheeks with her thumb.

“You’re so beautiful, Krystal.”

“Aunt Sica!”

Kris looked on with his eyes wide open. He was in a shock. He dropped his knife and fell onto his knees. Kai was losing his mind.

“YOU BASTARD! THAT’S MY MOTHER!”

Krystal pulled Jessica closer to her and carefully lifted her head up. She propped Jessica’s head gently on her lap and then pressed the stab wound.

“Aunt Sica, hang in there!”

Jessica just smiled through her tears. Kris was already half-conscious. Kai hit him umpteen of times. Jessica called out to him.

“Kai..”

“Mom!”

Kai ran towards her and held her hands.

“Kai, you have to take care of Krystal.”

“Mom, just shut up! Don’t say anymore! I’m going to rush you to the hospital.”

“Kai, promise Mommy that you will take good care of Krystal.”

“I don’t want to promise you! You will leave me like how Dad left us! I don’t want you to leave me too! I’m sorry I’ve been rude to you lately! I’m sorry that I’ve hurt your feelings. I love you, Mom! I love you!”

Jessica shook her head and cupped Kai’s cheeks with her palms. The boy was crying hard; Krystal was crying too as she held on tightly.

Suddenly a man ran to them out of nowhere. He just quickly scooped Jessica in his hands and limped his way to the car. Kai was stunned and Krystal was shocked. She recognized that man.

“UNCLE!”

“You know him too?”

Krystal turned to the confused Kai.

“What?”

“I know him. He saved me.”

The two kids were sceptical at first but the man was shouting at them.

“HURRY UP! WE HAVE TO RUSH JESSICA TO THE HOSPITAL!”

They were stunned.

How did that man know her name?

*

Yoong saw Krystal running away; followed by Kai. Moments later, he saw Jessica running after them as well. So Yoong took off; running behind Jessica. He was following them. Jessica suddenly stopped and Yoong did the same thing. He was just two blocks away from her.

He was watching Jessica’s reactions. She was staring at the kids who were hugging each other at the traffic junction. His heart sank when he realized his irresponsibility was the cause of all this. He knew he had made mistakes after mistakes and he wondered if his family would forgive him.

Jessica cried as she watched the two siblings trying to comfort each other. She must have felt horrible after finding out that Krystal is Tiffany’s daughter. She slumped to the ground on her knees and Yoong followed suit.

“What have I done, Noona? What am I doing to you and the children?”

Yoong whispered softly.

*

Yoong saw Kris. He was surprised to find Kris standing across the junction staring at his daughter and son. He remembered Kris’s feud with Kai and he recalled Kris’s words. He was not going to let Kai go. Yoong knew something bad was going to happen.

He followed Kris instead. That guy was far more dangerous than anyone else right now. But even before he could reach to Kris, the guy had already lunged forward with his pocket knife in his hands. He was aiming for Kai. Yoong watched in horror as Kris ran towards Kai; but Krystal saw him first. She tried to shield her body by turning herself around however Yoong’s heart broke into pieces when the person who rushed towards them and took the stab was none other than Jessica Jung.

“MOM!”

Kai was screaming at the top of his lungs. Krystal was terrified as she quickly sat up after realizing who saved her. Yoong was trembling with fear.

No, no! Not Jessica too!

Tiffany has left him. And now Jessica’s hurt.

No, no, it cannot be! No, Noona! No! You cannot leave me too!”

Yoong limped quickly towards the two children who were helpless. He grabbed Jessica in his arms and quickly rushed back to his car. His limping leg was hurting like mad because he was dragging it harshly.

He then turned to find his children were staring at him in confusion. He didn’t have time to explain to them but he knew it was important to bring them along with him.

“HURRY UP!”

He shouted at them and the two snapped out of their trance. They quickly got in and Yoong drove off quickly. The children ride in silence although Krystal was staring intently at him. She was probably trying to put two things together. Then suddenly Kai gasped. Krystal turned to him.

“What’s wrong?”

“Da..Dad...”

“What?!”

Kai saw a photo of the younger him and his mother with the limping man at the dashboard of his car. Krystal’s eyes grew larger as well. There was a photo of her when she was a toddler and also a photo of her mother and man who looked like the man in question.

Yoong didn’t have much choice. He had to reveal himself. His lips quivered as he attempted to speak.

“Kai.. Krystal.. I’m your father.”

The two children were stunned for words.

*