Part 7

Noona

Jessica was worried. It was raining heavily and Kai had just run out from the house. Soo Young left after Jessica assured him that she would be alright. She just realized what she had done and was feeling guilty towards her son and Soo Young. Her heart was supposed to be with Yoong but I guess she had a tough time before so it was forgivable that her heart wavered for a moment.

She tried calling Kai but his phone was turned off. The rain got heavier by the minute and Jessica was worried sick. She felt like throwing up as that sickening fear of losing her only son sank deep into the core of her heart. She held her phone tightly in her hand. There was a photo of Yoong as her lock screen picture. He was smiling at her. She returned his smile with tears running down her cheeks.

Her heart ached each time she thought of him. Sometimes she wished she could conveniently blame all her pain to him but now she knew about Tiffany’s demise; she understood why Yoong cowered and ran away. It wasn’t easy for Yoong to live without his parents and now with Tiffany gone for eternity; it probably pushed Yoong to the edge.

Jessica’s mind started to wander from Yul to Yoong and then Soo Young. Soo Young took her by surprise. His confession was not necessarily helping her to ease her pain but somehow added to all the complications. She knew Soo Young was burdened by her. She hates the fact that she couldn’t just give up on love; she needed it to survive for her own sake.

Meeting Yul again made Jessica realized how much the man loved her. He was willing to forgive her and even urged her to forgive herself. She thought she didn’t deserve his forgiveness and she was equally surprised when Yul told her that Taeyeon has buried the hatchet as well.

Then when she saw Tiffany’s daughter for the very first time, it was so surreal that Jessica thought she could see Tiffany in her daughter’s face. She’s beautiful – just like her mother. Jessica felt extremely sorry towards Krystal. It was because of her – her parents separated and she grew up without them.

Yoong – what else could she say? She fell for the wrong guy. She could have stick to Yul and maybe living happily with him. But it didn’t happen that way. God must have other things in mind and he threw at her with all the adversities which made Jessica like this right now. But she didn’t have the right to blame him – she only blames her stupid heart.

But she loves Yoong the most. The man swept her heart away and Jessica knew she could never turn back the hands of time. Given a choice, Jessica could foresee that she would fall in love with Kwon Yoong all over again.

But Kwon Yoong disappeared. He disappeared and left her. He left her at the worst time of her life and blatantly threw her in the ring of fire; probably thinking Jessica could overcome the obstacles in her own stride. Thankfully, Kai was there. Jessica threw her attention at her only son – the precious man in her life.

Kai – she misses him. She realized the mistakes she had done. She was stunned when Kai burst out and called him a . He called his own mother a . Jessica was hurt; she was miserable and broken when her own flesh and blood thought badly of her.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MOM?!”

Kai ran out of his room and pushed Soo Young away. Jessica was stunned and tried to pull Kai back.

“Are you insane?!”

“Why is he here?! And why did you let him kiss you? Is he your boyfriend?!”

“KAI KWON! Why are you so rude?!”

Kai scoffed at his mother. His injuries were still hurting but his heart was hurting even more. He was supposed to be his mother’s protector but now he was fighting against her.

“I saw you hugging a man today!”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

“And that man is none other than Krystal’s grandfather!”

“Kai..”

“My mom’s hugging all the men around her! Can you feel my pain? You’re supposed to be faithful to Daddy! You have always been! You wouldn’t even look at other men so why now?!”

“Kai... I’m sorry.”

“And now you’re kissing this man. Who is he?! Why is he always here when I’m not around?!”

Soo Young just looked on; he wasn’t offended but felt sad that things just got even complicated. He didn’t know of Jessica’s meeting with Yul earlier on. He could probably understand why Kai was freaking out right now. If it was him, he would be devastated too.

“Kai, I’m sorry. It’s not your mother’s fault. It’s mine.”

“What?”

“I was the one who came onto your mom. She was vulnerable and I took advantage of it.”

“You jerk!”

Kai lunged forward and punched Soo Young in the face. Jessica was stunned.

“Soo Young!”

Soo Young fell to the ground; his nose was bleeding. Jessica’s head was spinning so much. What the hell was going on? She didn’t know her son was capable of violence and Soo Young gamely took responsibility for everything that wasn’t his fault.

“Kai! How could you punch him?”

“He deserves it!”

“Why are you so violent?! Did I teach you to be like that?”

“There are a lot of things you didn’t teach me. I learnt the hard way.”

“So is that the reason why your body is full of bruises right now?!”

Kai kept quiet. His mother didn’t need to know about his feud with Kris. He nodded his head.

“I don’t have a father figure. So fighting is the best way to win things!”

Jessica was appalled with her son’s words. She was disappointed; heartbroken and devastated. How did she bring her son up? She thought she has given him everything. She thought she was doing the right thing.

“Are you blaming it on me, Kai?”

Kai was no longer in control of his feelings. Yes, he’s blaming his mother for the rejection he gave to Krystsal.

“It’s because of you! It’s because of you that my whole life is a messed up! No wonder Dad left you! You’re a mess up yourself!”

Soo Young was stunned and Jessica’s heart broke into a million pieces. Kai bit his tongue. He knew he went overboard. He wanted to say sorry but the devil in him refused to concede defeat.

Suddenly Jessica slapped Kai across his face. The boy woke up but he was even more infuriated. His mother just hit him in front of Soo Young.

“Jessica!”

The woman herself was shocked.

“Kai, I’m sorry!”

She tried to come closer but Kai was pushing her away.

“I hate you!”

Those three words made Jessica’s world crumbled into million pieces.

*

“Kai, where are you?”

Jessica whispered softly. She kept pressing the redial button but her son’s phone was still off. Her heart was just sinking deeper and deeper.

“Yoong, please come back. I need you..”

Her tears wouldn’t stop flowing.

*

Taeyeon was sitting opposite Krystal. She was watching her granddaughter sighing the whole day. She had a fight with her grandfather. Taeyeon knew about Yul’s meeting with Jessica but her granddaughter thought her grandfather was two-timing her.

“Krystal, I know the lady.”

“You know? And you didn’t say anything?”

“Krystal, that lady is an old friend of your grandfather and also mine. She’s also a friend of your mother.”

“Wait, you mean mom knew Kai’s mother?”

Taeyeon was tongue-tied. Should she be honest with Krystal about everything? Sooner or later, Krystal would find out who Kai was and how he was related to him. It was going to be a big mess but Taeyeon knew there was no other way round.

“Krystal, you need to know something.”

Krystal looked up.

“But you have to promise me that you’ll keep calm.”

“Why?”

“This is going to be complicated. You might hate us for it.”

Krystal didn’t like the sound of it.

*

Soo Young was searching for Kai in the rain. His nose was still hurting. But he was determined to find that boy back. He couldn’t be mad at Kai because it was the adults that screwed up everything; the children were just getting the brunt of it. He drove around Jessica’s neighbourhood and even at the school where Kai was studying. But to no avail – Kai had just disappeared into thin air.

But Soo Young didn’t give up. He continued to look around; driving in every street; every corner and every lane that he could get into but instead of finding Kai, he found someone else instead – Kwon Yul.

“Uncle Yul?”

The older man was sitting at a coffeeshop; with bottles of soju on his table. Soo Young was concerned. He stopped his car by the road side and got out from the car. Yul wasn’t aware of his presence. He was still drinking soju; cup after cup.

“Uncle Yul?”

Yul turned when he heard someone calling him. He saw Soo Young looking a little distorted with a red nose.

“Soo Young, what happened to your nose?”

Soo Young shrugged it off and took the seat beside Yul. He took a bottle of soju and asked for a cup. He poured himself a cup and drank it in one gulp. Yul was watching him.

“Are you as messed up as me?”

“I think so.”

“What happened, Soo Young?”

Soo Young sighed.

“Uncle Yul, please don’t get angry with me.”

Yul was confused.

“Why?”

Soo Young was reading his face carefully.

“I slept with Jessica yesterday.”

“What?”

“I.. don’t know what happened to me. I know I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Soo Young, you like Jessica, don’t you?”

“You know too?”

“I can sense it. And I’m not surprised that you are. She’s really something.”

“I heard you met her yesterday.”

“How did you know?”

“I’m actually looking for him now. He fought with his mother because he saw you hugging Jessica. He was really angry with her. He thought his mother was sleeping around with different men.”

“What? He said that?”

“He’s protective of Jessica. He must have felt disappointed when he saw you hugging her and me always appearing at his house when he was not around.”

Suddenly Yul smiled to himself. Soo Young was confused.

“Why are you smiling?”

“Kai is just like his father.”

“Huh?”

“Yoong’s protective of Taeyeon. When other men tried to date his mother, he would interrogate them like as though they were criminals. He scared all of them away.”

“Oh, that’s right. He really has his father’s traits isn’t it?”

“Both Kai and Krystal have something from their father. Soo Young, I think it’s time we reveal the truth to both of the children. I didn’t know Jessica kept blaming herself all this while. Yoong ran away and left her to carry this burden all by herself.”

“I know, Uncle Yul. I felt sorry for her too. Her son misunderstood her.”

“Krystal’s upset with me. Kai told her the same thing. She thinks I’m being unfaithful to her grandmother.”

“Uncle, I think Kai and Krystal have feelings for each other.”

“I thought so too. We have to stop this.”

Soo Young nodded. He stood up and Yul paid for the drinks.

“What are you going to do now?”

“I’m going to look for Kai.”

“Count me along.”

“Huh?”

“I’ll tell that boy the truth.”

“But..”

“I’ve already asked Taeyeon to break the news to Krystal when I’m gone. We have to face the music now. I have to make it up for both of my grandchildren now.”

The man seemed determined and Soo Young agreed.

*

Kai was slowly waking up. His wounds didn’t hurt that much anymore and there was a towel over his forehead. He looked around his surroundings and found them unfamiliar. He tried to get up but his head was heavy. His body was warm.

“Hey, be careful.”

He heard a voice. He turned to his left to find the same man who rescued him from Kris hovering above him. He supported Kai with one arm and carefully pushed him closer to the bed rest. Kai adjusted his blanket carefully.

“Where am I?”

“You’re at my place. Are you feeling better? You were running temperature when I found you.”

“You found me?”

“Yes, I found you along the road. What were you doing under the heavy rain?”

Kai kept mum. He hardly knew this man. He couldn’t just tell him that he fought with his mother.

“Are your bruises getting better?”

“I think so.”

The man smiled fondly before getting up. He turned slightly and asked Kai if he wanted to eat. The boy was famished so he nodded his head eagerly. The man chuckled softly before putting a bowl of noodles in front of Kai. He was salivating.

“Here, eat first. I’ll find some clothes for you to change into.”

Kai nodded his head carelessly and dug into his bowl of noodles. There were plenty of prawns and some beef in it too. Kai ate heartily. He was actually feeling at ease in the presence of this man. The man was busy ironing some clothes by the side and Kai watched intently.

Kai was facing the man’s side profile. He looked familiar. It was like dejavu. He thought he saw this profile before. But he couldn’t recall where.

“What are you going to do after this?”

“Huh?”

“Aren’t you going home?”

Kai pouted his lips slightly. He fought with his mother. He regretted it but he was too stubborn to admit that he was in the wrong too.

“I don’t want to go home.”

The man turned.

“Why?”

“I fought with my mother.”

The man was surprised. He turned off his iron and then gave the clean clothes to Kai. He didn’t say anything but just looked on. Kai wasn’t too sure why he was willing to share this with the man but he felt extremely comfortable with him.

“My father left my mother when I was young. She was devastated when he left and almost went crazy because my dad went missing just like that. She left me at home all alone while she went out to look for him day and night. I was abandoned for a couple of weeks before she decided to give up looking and concentrated on me.”

Kai’s eyes were b with tears. He slowly recalled the sacrifices his mother had to make because of him. He continued his story; failing to notice the man’s eyes was watering too.

“My mother went through a lot just to raise me up. She has never stopped loving my father and I knew she was secretly wishing for him to return to her. But he never did. I grew up watching my mother staring at his photo in the middle of the night and cried till morning.”

Kai sniffed. He was trying hard to hold back his tears. He was feeling really sorry. He regretted what he said of his mother.

“She’s in pain; she’s suffering but yet I accused her of something that I shouldn’t have.”

Kai stopped. Tears finally fell.

“I love my mother. I love her to death. I want her to be happy. But I’m just like my father. I just walked out of her life when I knew she needed me the most.”

Kai just couldn’t stop crying after that.

*

Yoong was devastated to hear those words from his own son. It must have hurt his son so much when he left and it must have been painful for Jessica to raise his son all by herself. Yoong felt like punching himself in the face for causing so much pain to everyone he actually cares for.

Kai cried; letting his tears fell in front of him. Yoong’s heart softened and watched his son crying prompted him to pull Kai closer. The boy didn’t rebel.

He then enveloped his arms around the crying boy. He might be 18 but he was as fragile as his mother. He must have shouldered so much pain and because of the love for his mother, Kai tried to look stronger; tried to be a man but he was still a little boy at heart.

“It must have been painful for you.”

“No, Mom made it easier for me.”

“Why did you say that?”

“I’m never lacking of anything. She give me all of her everything. She has never complained. Only I have been such a baby lately.”

“Your mother must have loved you a lot.”

“I know she does. I’m all that she’s got. But I did nothing but to hurt her.”

“Then go home and apologize to her. She’s your mother. She will forgive you.”

“I wish I can find my father.”

Yoong’s heart skipped a beat. He waited with a berated breath.

“Why?”

“So that I could tell him that my mother loves him no matter what he had done to her.”

Yoong’s world was crumbling within him.

*

Jessica fell asleep on the sofa. There was a picture of Yoong in her palm. She was clenching on it tightly. Tear streaks were visibly seen from the corner of her eyes down to her cheeks. Someone was entering the house quietly. His heart sank when he saw Jessica lying on the sofa; hugging the pillow tightly. It was obvious to him that she was crying so much.

He gingerly walked over to his side and knelt down in front of her. He wiped those tear streaks away. He cupped her cheeks gently in his palms and caressed them with his thumb.

She didn’t deserve this. She shouldn’t be hurting like this. He promised her that he would give her the best of everything but what he had given instead was pure hell – a hell of almost 18 years. Jessica was still sleeping peacefully. She was exhausted mentally and physically.

He smiled to himself when Jessica whined at his touch. She was still the same lady he had fallen in love with.

“Jessica..”

He whispered softly.

“I’m really sorry.”

He leaned closer.

“I’m really sorry Jessica.”

He kissed her gently on the forehead.

*

Jessica thought she could hear Yoong’s voice. She could feel his warm hands touching his cheeks. She could still recognise that warmth feeling. She was probably dreaming and didn’t want to open her eyes. She was afraid that she might lose that familiar warmth if she did.

She heard him apologizing. She heard him crying for her. She could feel his gentle touch; his soft breathing and then his lips on her forehead.

It was just the same – nothing changed. Yoong was just as gentle as he was in her dreams and in reality. Jessica stopped dreaming of him after she gave up searching. But now she needed him. She needed him to tell her that she’s going to be alright.

Just like answered prayer, Jessica could hear him whispering; almost as though he was close to her – she felt his arms around her. She pulled herself closer; with her eyes closed. She was still thinking she was dreaming.

“I’m going to change everything, Jessica. Give me some time. Just give me more time. I’ll find my way back to you, Jessica.”

He paused and kissed her.

“Noona, I still love you.”

Tears trickled slowly down Jessica’s cheeks. And all this while, Jessica was still under this impression that she was sleeping.

*

Kai went out to find his mother’s favourite food. He wanted to apologize to her but he couldn’t return empty handed. He got Yoong to send him home. He even asked Yoong to wait for him to return. He saw his mom sleeping on the sofa.

“She’s sleeping.”

Kai was peeping through the door with Yoong behind him.

“Okay, I have to go now.”

“Wait!”

Yoong turned and gave him a questioning look.

“Can you stay here for awhile?”

“What?”

“I want to buy her favourite food. When she’s upset, meat would cheer her up immediately. I don’t know how much grams of barbecued beef I have to buy but I think that’s the best apology gift, right?”

Yoong chuckled softly. His son was really cute when he had that blur look on his face. Kai was indeed his son. Jessica loves to eat beef.

“I’m sure she will forgive you immediately.”

“But I don’t want to leave her alone like this. Can you stay here while I go and buy quickly?”

“Sure. But you won’t take long, right?”

“Mom sleeps like a log.”

Yoong hid his smirk from Kai. He agreed with Kai. Jessica Jung is a heavy sleeper.

“So she won’t wake up any time soon?”

“She’s upset. She will sleep longer than she should. It always drains her energy when she spends her time crying overnight.”

Yoong nodded his head. Kai’s really a good son. He knows everything about his mother.

“I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

Kai ran off, leaving the keys to Yoong. He ran down the streets to the nearest night market. His mom loves to bring him there when he was younger. Kai misses those moments. He hardly goes out with his mom nowadays. Either she was too busy or Kai was too lazy. He made a mental note in his mind; he would go to the night market with his mother at least once a week from now own.

He suddenly realized why his mother was lonely. He was hardly at home. He was with Krystal all the time. Maybe that was why she sought comfort with the men. Kai cringed when he recalled what he said to his mother. His heart ached. His mother must have been broken.

“Mom, I’m sorry. Forgive me.”

Kai apologised in his heart sincerely. He found the stall that his mom loves to eat at. He bought some barbecued beef and was about to leave when he heard someone calling out to him.

“KAI!”

The young man turned; his smile turned into a grimace. He saw not one but two men that he didn’t really want to meet at the moment – Soo Young and Yul.

*

“No way!”

“Krystal, you promised you’d be calm.”

“How can I be when you’re telling me that Kai might be my half brother?”

“Krystal, Mama is sorry. We shouldn’t have keep so many secrets from you. We didn’t want you to think badly of your father.”

“I’m confused. I’m really confused. My father left with another woman when my mother was pregnant with me. Why would he do that? Doesn’t he love my mother?!”

“Krystal, everyone made mistakes.”

“NO! THAT IS NOT A MISTAKE! THAT’S CRUEL!”

“Krystal, your mother hid the truth about you from him.”

“I can understand why. My father is a stupid man! Is this the reason why you didn’t want me to know about him?”

“Your grandfather was upset with him. But that happened 18 years ago.”

“But why Kai? Why must it be KAI?!”

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. I’m really sorry.”

Krystal was almost drowning in her own misery. The pain was elevating. She and Kai shared the same blood; they had the same father. She was dying inside. She wished she was as dead as her mother.

*

To be continued....