Part 1

Noona

“Noona, I’m always here for you.”

“But you’re married.”

“You’re carrying my baby. You’re more important now.”

“Your father...”

“Noona, we have made the biggest mistake now. We should own up to our mistakes.”

“I’m afraid..”

“Don’t be. I will protect you. I love you. I love you so much.”

*

“Get out! You’re no longer my son anymore!”

“Father..”

“And you! You can take my son and bring him with you! How dare you! How could you betray me like this!”

“Oppa, I’m sorry..”

“I’m not going to accept that child of yours! I don’t have a son anymore! Now leave! Get out!”

*

“How could you do this to me..?”

“I’m sorry, I’m really sorry..”

“Why did you marry me if you love her?”

“I...”

“Why are you treating me like this? I didn’t treat you well?”

“No, you give me the best of everything.”

“Then why are you leaving me..?”

“I’m sorry... I’m really sorry.. She’s pregnant with my child..”

“........................”

“I’m really sorry.. I hate myself for breaking your heart this way..”

“I love you sincerely..”

“I know.. but I just cannot return it back to you..”

*

Kwon Yoong’s tears fell from the corner of his eyes as he recalled his past. He was married to a wonderful girl but his heart was set on his father’s girlfriend. They were having an affair after a brief introduction from his father to his new girlfriend.

He’s living happily with Jessica Jung and their son, Kai Kwon. But he still felt a deep void in his heart. He was still feeling lost without his parents.  Kwon Yoong was once an heir to his father’s billion dollar Property and Investment Company. But because of his betrayal, he was stripped of his royalties and kicked out of the house, together with Jessica. She was his father’s ex girlfriend.

Now Kwon Yoong is just a taxi driver. Jessica is still working at the university as a part time lecturer. Kai Kwon is only two years old and he’s the centre sunshine for both of his parents. But Yoong couldn’t forgive himself for hurting three people he cares so much – his father, Kwon Yul, his mother, Taeyeon and his ex-wife, Tiffany Hwang.

His father refused to see him and Tiffany Hwang mysteriously vanished from his life. He couldn’t help but wondering if she’s alright now. Jessica knew about it. She knew Yoong often thinks of Tiffany although he denies it all the time.

For two years, both Jessica and Yoong have lived in guilt. Jessica often chides herself for breaking both father and son apart. She was the reason why the family was broken apart just like that. She knows Yoong misses his father. And because of his stupidity, his mother abandons him as well. She just couldn’t believe that Yoong chose to be with Jessica over the girl she picked for him as his wife.

His mother was especially furious with him and told him to leave as well. Both of his parents are divorced but for some reason, both of them threw him out because of what he did. Jessica could still remember the night when they were at Jessica’s place – Kwon Yoong broke down and cried. It was clear to Jessica that Yoong was really upset that he lost both of his parents just like that.

“Noona?”

Yoong still called her Noona.

“Yes, Yoong?”

“Why are you up so late at night?”

“I was watching you.”

Yoong gave a quick smile before motioned her to come over. She gingerly walked over to his side to avoid any noise. She didn’t want Kai to wake up. Yoong wrapped his hands around her and pulled her closer.

“Are you thinking of your parents again?”

Yoong hid his face behind her shoulder but shook his head. But he didn’t have to lie. Jessica knew.

“I’m sorry, Yoong. I’ve caused you pain ever since you chose to be with me.”

“It’s not your fault. It was my own decision.”

He pulled her closer and tighter.

“Have you found her yet, Yoong?”

He knew who she was referring to.

“I have you.”

“Yoong, I saw you staring at her photo two days ago. I heard you whispered her name when you slept at night. You love her, right?”

Yoong couldn’t control his tears. They fell yet again. Jessica turned herself around and wiped them away. There was a tired smile on her face.

“Look for her, Yoong. I know you’re feeling awful inside. Especially after you found out she was pregnant with your baby too.”

Yoong broke down. His ex wife didn’t tell him about her pregnancy. She had his baby too. His child would be of the same age as Kai. That’s when Yoong realized how much his wife loves him. She just let him go willingly; carrying all the burden to herself. He was nothing but cruel to her. He hurt her worse than anyone could ever do.

“I was an awful man to her, Jessica. I don’t know what I should do. My heart aches every time I think of her and our baby. I want to be responsible for her too. I know how difficult it is to raise a baby as a couple and she’s all alone.”

It used to hurt Jessica when Yoong talked about Tiffany. But now, she felt like she didn’t have the right anymore. Tiffany let him go despite being pregnant with his baby. She felt wronged towards that unborn child. If not for her, that unborn baby could have a complete family. But she thought of Kai. She wanted Kai to have a complete family too. She was stuck in the middle.

“Just look for her, Yoong. Take responsible of her and your baby.”

Yoong just looked on; expressionless.

*

Kwon Yul was reading newspapers on his armchair when a little girl stumbled in front of him. She was learning to walk.

“Soo Jung! Are you alright?”

He threw his newspaper aside and quickly knelt down in front of her. He wanted to carry her but the little girl pushed his hands away. She gave him a toothy smile before getting up on her two feet once again. Yul smiled.

“That’s my little girl!”

Yul bent down and gave a soft kiss on her forehead. The little girl giggled before Yul swept her off her feet. He smiled widely when the girl kissed him on his lips.

“Dada~”

She cooed softly. Yul smiled but it faded away when he saw someone’s smile similar to Soo Jung’s. He saw his own son’s reflection upon his granddaughter’s face. Soo Jung is Yoong’s daughter with Tiffany.

“You look just like your father, Soo Jung. But you have your mom’s perfect eye smiles.”

Yul managed a soft smile when Soo Jung hugged him tightly. He felt pity for his granddaughter. He raised the girl all on his own. It was just such a tragedy that he lost his son to his ex girlfriend and his daughter in law to a horrified accident.

He recalled his past.

Kwon Yul kept drinking after he chased his son and ex girlfriend away. His heart was broken and shattered into million pieces when two of his beloved people betrayed him like that. Yul was leaning against the sofa and it was raining so heavily outside. There were lightning and thunder but Yul just kept drinking in the dark. He liked it that way.

Suddenly the door was opened and someone stood at the doorway. Yul clumsily stood up and turned around. He was surprised to find his ex wife standing; all drenched and stared at him.

“Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon walked slowly towards him. She was shivering in cold and Yul grabbed the shawl by his sofa. He wrapped around her neck as she stood closely to him. She was in tears.

“What are you doing here?”

“I know what happened.”

Yul’s face fell. He was scoffing away.

“I’m stupid, right?”

“It was not your fault, Yul.”

“What was I thinking of? She and Yoong are just few years apart. Obviously she will prefer the younger man.”

“Yoong chose to be with her, Yul.”

Yul looked up.

“He left Tiffany. He divorced her.”

Yul was stunned.

“What?!”

“Tiffany wrote a letter and said that she’s leaving. There’s no reason for her to stay since Yoong doesn’t want her anymore.”

“What’s our son doing, Taeyeon?”

“I don’t know, Yul. I’m here because I know you’re broken inside.”

Taeyeon gently wiped the tear streaks down Yul’s cheeks away. She caressed his cheeks gently before leaning closer to capture his lips. Yul was taken aback but a strong wave of feelings gushed into his heart. He cupped Taeyeon’s cheeks with his palms and deepened the kiss.

He thought he had lost this feeling with his ex wife. He was confused.

“I’m still here, Yul.”

“Tae..”

“To tell you truthfully, I’ve always been here. I just couldn’t move on although I pretended like I did.”

Yul was shocked with his ex wife’s confession.

“I still love you. You’re still the man in my life.”

“Taeyeon..”

“I know we have divorced. But that doesn’t mean I have stopped loving you as well. It’s just that you found Jessica and I thought you were really happy being with her.”

Yul stopped her. He placed his finger on her lips and looked deep into his ex wife’s eyes. He saw it. He saw the same pair of eyes sparkling at him – like how he fell in love with her for the very first time.

“Taeyeon, please forgive me.”

“It’s okay, Yul. It was long time ago.”

“I was such a stupid man.”

“Shh, it’s alright. We need to find Tiffany though.”

“Huh? Why?”

“We’re going to have a grandchild soon.”

Yul’s eyes were wide open.

“Tiffany’s pregnant with Yoong’s baby too..”

*

“Yul?”

Yul turned to find Taeyeon at the doorway. She was holding a cup of coffee. Soo Jung was still in his arms; playing with his spectacles.

“Did Soo Jung disturb you?”

“It’s okay. I was just reading newspapers.”

“I bought you coffee.”

Yul smiled before passing Soo Jung to her grandmother.

“Less sugar.”

“You know me so well.”

“Of course. You were my husband before.”

“Taeyeon, you know I still care about you, right?”

Taeyeon nodded her head. She turned to her granddaughter and kissed her all over. The little girl was giggling while trying to avoid the wet kisses.  Yul looked on with a smile. His granddaughter is beautiful.

“If only Tiffany’s here..”

Yul suddenly spoke up. Taeyeon turned to him before pulling him closer to her. She hugged him with Soo Jung in the middle of them.

“I’m just glad we found both of them. And at least we could give Tiffany a decent burial.”

Yul nodded solemnly.

*

“Uncle Yul, Aunt Taeyeon! Over here!”

Soo Young was waving his hands as the couple tried to locate him. They finally saw him and ran over to his side. Soo Young was nervous and anxious.

“Where is she, Soo Young?!”

“I found her. She has been staying at this place for a year now!”

Yul looked up to find a run-down apartment block in front of him. Tiffany was hiding her all the time with their grandchild.

“Did she notice you?”

“No. My friend was the one who checked it out for me. And according to him, there’s often sound of a baby’s cries.”

Taeyeon’s eyes were watery.

“Is that baby belongs to Yoong?”

Soo Young has been Yoong’s best friend since kindergarten. But Yoong decided to cut his ties with Soo Young after he was chased out by his father. Yoong was ashamed to meet him. Each time Soo Young asked him out, he refused and subsequently changed his contact number. Soo Young lost contact with him.

“Yes, Soo Young. That baby is Yoong’s child.”

“Let’s go and meet her.”

Yul pulled his ex wife and Soo Young led them the way. The corridor had an awful, stench smell. There were rubbish all over and Yul was appalled to learn that Tiffany has been staying in such horrible place. They finally located the apartment. True enough, a baby was wailing at the top of its lungs.

They slowly pushed the door open to find Tiffany sprawled on the floor. Her baby was crying by her side.

“TIFFANY!”

The trio quickly ran in.

*

“She’s malnourished. The baby’s suffering from pneumonia. We have to admit both mother and daughter.”

“Do what you can, Dr Seo.”

“I will do my best, Mr Kwon.”

Taeyeon was already caressing her beloved daughter in law’s cheeks. She has grown thinner. Her slightly rosy cheeks were already gone.

“You must have been suffering, Tiffany.”

She whispered softly. Yul looked on with regrets. He made a promise to himself that he would look after Tiffany and his granddaughter.

Just then, Tiffany was slowly waking up. She moved her fingers slightly before opening her eyes. She looked around before she finally came around. She turned slowly to her left and was taken aback to find her father in law and mother in law smiling at her.

“Mom, Dad, where am I?”

“You’re in the hospital, Tiffany.”

Tiffany’s eyes grew larger.

“KRYSTAL!!!!”

“Tiffany, calm down. Are you looking for your daughter?”

“Yes! Where’s she?!”

“She’s at the paediatric ward. She’s having pneumonia.”

Tiffany started tearing. Taeyeon wrapped her arm around her shoulders. She massaged Tiffany gently. Yul sat in front of her while Soo Young stood at the corner of her bed.

“Tiffany, are you alright?”

“Yes Dad. I’m feeling better now.”

“You have a beautiful girl, Tiffany.”

Tiffany’s eyes softened and nodded slightly.

“She looks like her father.”

There was a tinge of sadness in Tiffany’s voice.

“Why didn’t you tell him you were carrying his baby, Tiffany?”

Yul asked.

“He’s in love with Jessica unnie. I just cannot be the woman for him.”

“But you’re suffering all by yourself now.”

“Krystal made me happy. She put on a smile on my face every day.”

Tiffany looked up to meet Yul’s eyes.

“I named her Kwon Soo Jung Krystal. No matter what happens, she’s still Yoong’s daughter.”

*

Tiffany moved in with Yul and Taeyeon together with Krystal. She wanted her daughter to know her grandparents. Yul’s in love with his granddaughter. He loves playing with her every single day. Tiffany looked on with a smile as her seven month old daughter entertained her grandfather.

“Krystal loves to play with Dad.”

Tiffany took a sip of her coffee. Taeyeon was busy with her French toast.

“Your father in law cannot wait for Krystal to wake up. When you’re at work, he will pull the chair to her cot bed and wait for her to wake up. I often chided him for disturbing Krystal’s sleep.”

Tiffany chuckled softly.

“I guess Krystal reminds him of someone.”

Taeyeon nodded and sighed at the same time.

“I wonder how he is right now, Mom.”

“You still care about him, Tiffany?”

“Yoong has always been living his life with a silver spoon. Dad cancelled all his credit cards and frozen his bank accounts. I wonder how he’s living his life right now.”

Taeyeon gently caressed Tiffany’s shoulder.

“He has Jessica. She’s still a lecturer in that school. She earns decently enough for the three of them.”

Tiffany turned to look at her mother in law.

“Aren’t you curious about your other grand child?”

Taeyeon’s face fell.

“I don’t know. Maybe I could accept the child but it would just remind me of your pain.”

“I have forgiven Yoong. You should to forgive him too. You and Father. No matter what happen, that child is Yoong’s flesh and blood and it’s going to run in that kid all his life.”

“Your father in law is adamant not to accept that child into the family. To him, he only has Krystal.”

“Mom, I remember how much you love Yoong. Don’t you feel worried for his well-being?”

Taeyeon smiled.

“He has someone else with him. He can look after himself. I’m more worried about you, Tiffany. We spent months looking for you.”

“And here I am; back with you. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.”

The mother in law pulled her daughter in law in and hugged her tightly.

“I love you as much as I love my son, Tiffany. You’re like my daughter now.”

*

“Are you Mr Kwon Yul?”

“Yes I am. Can I help you?”

Yul was alarmed to find two police officers at the door. At first, Yul thought this was about Yoong. He was concerned.

“I’m Sergeant Jin Soo. I’m afraid I have bad news for you.”

Taeyeon was at the door with the smiling Krystal who couldn’t resist her grandmother’s locket. She was fiddling with it.

“Miss Tiffany Hwang has met with an accident and didn’t make it. She died in the crash.”

“WHAT?!”

Like on cue, Krystal dropped her grandmother’s locket onto the floor. It was like as though she knew what happened.

*

“Tiffany, we’re here again.”

Yul and Taeyeon were at Tiffany’s grave. They brought little Krystal along. She was toddling along her mother’s grave. It was a hot day but the grave stone was rather cooling. Krystal sat on it eventually.

“Krystal’s growing up beautifully, Tiffany. She has your eye-smiles.”

Taeyeon picked her granddaughter up.

“Krystal, say hi to Mommy.”

Krystal was just learning to speak. But nevertheless, she followed her grandma’s words.

“Mama~”

Yul was tearing up. He suddenly misses Yoong. But he refuses to search for him.

“Yul, are you alright?”

Yul smiled as he nodded his head. Then he knelt down in front of Tiffany’s grave. He remembered Tiffany’s words to him. It rang in his mind every day.

“Dad, find Yoong. It’s time that we bury the hatchet and try to live together. Krystal needs his father. If anything happens to me, please let Yoong know about Krystal’s existence. He deserves to know.”

“Fany, I promise I will find Yoong and let him know about Krystal. Just rest in peace, alright? Your mother in law and me will raise Krystal up properly.”

That was his promise to his deceased daughter in law.

*

“KAI KWON! COME HERE!”

Jessica was busy cooking in the kitchen when she heard a crash in the living room. She walked out of the kitchen and saw her flower pot on the floor. Kai was running away.

“KAI KWON!”

She chased after him but the little boy thought his mother was playing with him.

“KAI! Stop running!”

Just then, the front door opened and Kai jumped on someone. The person managed to grab him in time.

“What’s happening? Why are you running like that?”

Yoong was holding on to his son and saw Jessica looking all flustered and annoyed.

“Kai broke the flower pot. I wanted to check on him if he’s okay. He ran off and made me chased him all around the house.”

Yoong looked at his son; the little boy was smiling at him.

“Kai, are you alright?”

He smiled widely.

“I think he’s fine. Here, take him. I’ll clear up the mess.”

He passed his son to his mother. Jessica was glaring at the little boy.

“You’re such a naughty boy!”

She was mumbling and grumbling at her son. Yoong chuckled softly. He bent down and started picking up the broken pieces of the flower pot. He threw them into the bag plastic bag before disposing it at the rubbish chute. He then swept off the soil from the parapet floor before mopping it clean.  He then made his way into the kitchen. Kai was sitting in his baby chair; eating pieces of banana that Jessica has cut for him.

“What are you cooking?”

He wrapped his arms around Jessica’s waist. He kissed her on her cheeks.

“Beef stew. It will be done soon.”

“Awesome! I’m getting hungry.”

“Why don’t you prepare the table? It’s almost done.”

“Okay.”

The family of three was eating happily. Jessica was feeding Kai while Yoong ate quietly.

“You have to leave again after dinner?”

“Yeah, my part time driver couldn’t make it today. I’ll drive till 11pm tonight. You don’t have to wait up for me.”

“Alright, I’ll make you some coffee and put it in a tumbler.”

“Okay.”

Yoong was preparing for his second shift. He took a quick bath and played with Kai for awhile before making his way out again. He gave Jessica a kiss on her lips and then kissed Kai’s forehead.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

*

Yoong was driving around; working hard to find passengers. Although Jessica’s a part time lecturer, but the rental for the apartment had already taken 70% of Jessica’s salary. So Yoong had to work extra hours for his family’s expenses.

He was moving in and out of town; taking passenger after passenger. The last passenger dropped off near his old neighbourhood. Yoong took a left turn into the familiar lane. He drove carefully until he saw a gold brass gate. The house was more like a castle-like and it was the biggest house in that neighbourhood.

Yoong stopped by the side of the road. He looked ahead and tears swelled in his eyes. He was feeling guilty all over again. Then suddenly he saw an old couple walking home together, hand in hand. Yoong was surprised to find his father and mother walking back together. His eyes then focused on a little girl in his father’s arms.

He started to wonder.

“Who’s that little girl?”

He whispered softly. But he didn’t stay any longer. He wanted to avoid to be seen so he drove off quickly. He looked up at his rear mirror. His parents were hugging each other. A smile pursued on his lips. At least they found each other during his disappearance.

But he couldn’t stop wondering about the little girl.

*

Yoong stopped somewhere for supper. He was hungry. It was his old hang out with his best friend, Soo Young. He didn’t contact Soo Young anymore. He sat at the corner and was ordering food when he heard a familiar voice.

“Soo Young! How are you?”

The owner recognised him but not Yoong. Of course he wouldn’t. Yoong wasn’t that stylish anymore.

“Hey, Uncle Sung. I just returned from US. And I came straight from airport!”

“Ah, you miss our food huh?”

“Of course! Can I have the usual please?”

“Sure!”

Yoong looked away. He didn’t want to be seen but Soo Young decided to sit beside him instead. The man hasn’t noticed him yet. Yoong felt uncomfortable. He decided to leave instead but unfortunately his food arrived.

“Bulgogi with spicy rice cakes and extra chilli for you sir!”

Soo Young looked up. That was the normal dish Yoong used to order. He loves that combination. Yoong didn’t have much choice so he sat back at his table. Soo Young saw him.

“Kwon Yoong!”

*

The two men sat together; staring at each other. Well, it was more of Soo Young staring at him. Yoong was haggard and looked worn out.

“You look tired.”

Soo Young spoke up first.

“I’m still good.”

“How’s Jessica?”

“She’s fine.”

“And the baby?”

“He’s cute.”

“Oh? Is a he? You have a boy?”

Yoong nodded his head.  Soo Young nodded as well as he took a sip of his drink. He continued eating while Yoong watched him quietly. He wanted to ask about Tiffany but he bit his tongue. Who was he to ask about Tiffany?

“Are you happy with your life, Yoong?”

Soo Young spoke up again.

“I am.”

“Of course you are. You’re with the woman you love.”

Yoong was taken aback.

“Soo Young, I’m sorry.”

“Why do you apologise to me for?”

“I know I was in the wrong for hurting Tiffany.”

“Tiffany?”

Soo Young was scoffing away.

“Is Tiffany doing well, Soo Young?”

Yoong finally asked. Soo Young put down his chopsticks and looked up. His glare pierced into Yoong’s eyes. He knew it was just the wrong time to ask.

“You don’t have to worry about her. She’s safe.”

Yoong was relieved.

“She’s safe in God’s hands.”

Yoong was stunned.

*

“What do you mean by that?”

Yoong raised his voice.

“She’s safe in God’s hands, Yoong. She’s in heaven.”

“What are you talking about?!”

Tears were already welling up in Yoong’s eyes.

“Why do you worry about her now when you didn’t care in the first place?”

“Soo Young, please don’t make me confuse now. Where’s Tiffany? What happened to her?”

“She died in an accident, Yoong. She died a year ago.”

Yoong felt like fainting.

*

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Yoong was screaming at nobody. Tears fell profusely. His heart was aching so much. He couldn’t think anymore – only Tiffany filled his mind right now.

“TIFFANNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY!”

Yoong fell on his knees as his heart was wrenching in pain. It was twisting and turning so badly.

“I’M SORRY! TIFFANY, I’M SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Yoong was in so much pain.

*

“You jerk! You ing jerk!”

Soo Young punched Yoong across the face. Yoong didn’t fight back and Jessica was begging Soo Young to stop.

“Why?! Why did you have to do this to Tiffany?! Are you happy now?!”

“I’m sorry, Soo Young. I don’t love her.”

“Then why did you marry her?!”

“Soo Young, I realized my mistakes now. I’m sorry that I hurt her like this. But I cannot leave Jessica alone. She’s pregnant with my baby!”

Soo Yong delivered another punch across his face. Soo Young was really mad at Yoong.

“She’s your father’s girlfriend! Don’t you know the rules?!”

“I cannot control my heart.”

“You jerk! Now Tiffany’s missing!”

“What?”

“And you say you couldn’t leave Jessica because she’s pregnant huh?”

Yoong glared at Soo Young.

“Then you bear to leave Tiffany alone?”

Soo Young clenched his fists together.

“For you information Kwon Yoong, your ex wife is also pregnant with your baby!”

Yoong’s eyes widen.

“She’s carrying your baby when you told her you don’t love her. How does she feel huh? How does she feel?!”

“Choi Soo Young, is..what.. is what you said is true..?”

“Why do you want to know now?”

“CHOI SOO YOUNG! TELL ME! IS TIFFANY PREGNANT WITH MY BABY?!”

“Yes she is. And thanks to you, she has disappeared from our view.”

*

TIFFANY!  TIFFANY! WHY?! WHY MUST YOU SUFFER BECAUSE OF ME?! WHY DID I DO THIS TO YOU!? NOW YOU’RE GONE, WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Yoong was dying. His heart was dying. He leaned against his taxi door. He regretted leaving Tiffany. He was inconsolable. He kept hitting his chest with his fist. The pain was just too much for him.

Suddenly someone stood beside him. He turned to find Soo Young looking at him. The taller guy sat beside him. He gave a can of beer to Yoong as he drank his in one gulp.

“We managed to find her before her death. She was staying at a run down apartment and when we found her, Tiffany was malnourished. Your father rushed her to the hospital.”

Yoong turned to look at him.

“We found her and your baby.”

Yoong straightened his back.

“What did you say?”

“Your parents took them back. Tiffany moved in with your parents and stayed there. But unfortunately, she died in the car accident 3 months later. Your baby was only 9 months old.”

Yoong’s heart ached tremendously like as though someone was slowly tearing his heart out.

“You have a complete life, Yoong.”

“What?”

“You have a son with Jessica. You have a daughter with Tiffany.”

Yoong cried immediately.

*

Soo Young gave him Tiffany’s grave details. Yoong didn’t return home. It was almost 7 am and Yoong made his way down to Tiffany’s grave. Hers was made of granite stone and it was beautifully decorated with verses from the bible. Her photo was right in the middle of it. It was smiling at Yoong as he knelt down in front of her grave.

Yoong ran his fingers over Tiffany’s photo and tears fell profusely. She was beautiful and Yoong knew that somewhere down in his heart, he did love her. He still does. Yoong placed the bouquet of Tiffany’s favourite flowers and put above the grave.

His lips quivered as he struggled to find his voice to speak. He couldn’t believe that this was happening to him.

“Tiffany, I’m here.”

His voice was almost inaudible but Yoong was certain that Tiffany could hear him.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you needed me. I’m really sorry for not being there when you had our baby. I’m really sorry for breaking you into pieces and I regret not able to seek for your forgiveness.”

Yoong was looking pathetic with tears rolling down from the corner of his cheeks. He wished he could hear Tiffany’s voice at least once. He took out their wedding photo and smiled.

“You were so beautiful, Tiffany. I know I loved you somehow. I know deep down in my heart I love you. Tiffany, if I could turn back the hands of time, I’ll never leave you.”

Yoong was lying beside Tiffany’s grave. He placed his head gently on the grave; facing sideways as he gently caressed Tiffany’s smiling photo. Tears fell as he leaned closer to kiss the photo. His heart ached as soon as his lips touched the cool surface. He suddenly remembered the first time he met Tiffany.

*

“Yoong, I would like you to meet Tiffany soon.”

“Why must I do that, Mom?”

“You’re her betrothed fiancé.”

“What?”

“Her late mother and I have already promised each other that you would marry Tiffany.”

“Is there such thing?”

“Why don’t you just meet her first?”

“Fine, I will meet her.”

Yoong followed his mother to the cafe where she had arranged for Tiffany to meet him. They arrived but his mother needed the washroom urgently. He agreed to wait for her at the cafe.

“Hi Sir, can I help you?”

“My mother has made arrangement. Miss Kim Taeyeon.”

“Oh yes, this way, Sir.”

The waitress led him in and he instantly smiled. It was his mother’s favourite place. He sat down quickly and ordered a glass of orange juice. He took out his magazine and started flipping through. Suddenly a girl appeared before him. The waitress was standing beside her.

“Mr Kwon, this is Miss Hwang. Miss Kim is expecting her.”

“Oh sure, I’ll take over from here.”

Yoong stood up and pulled out a seat for Miss Hwang. The girl was smiling sheepishly.

“Hi, I’m Yoong. You must be Tiffany.”

“Yes, I am.”

“Here, take a seat. Mom is in the washroom. She should be here shortly.”

The two hit off instantly. Yoong felt comfortable with Tiffany. She was easy-going and definitely beautiful; just like Jessica.

“You’re from US?”

“Yeah, I was born in LA.”

“Oh, that’s cool! You just returned from US?”

“Yeah, your mother asked me to visit her. I flew in for a business meeting.”

“Ah, I see.”

“I can see the two of you are going on well.”

“Auntie!”

Tiffany quickly stood up and gave Taeyeon a hug. Her late mother and Taeyeon were best friends. She promised Tiffany’s mother that she would look after Tiffany for as long as she lives.

“Yoong, this is Tiffany.”

“I know. We have just introduced ourselves to each other.”

Yoong smiled sheepishly as Tiffany shyly nodded her head. Taeyeon stood in front of Tiffany and gently caressed the girl’s cheeks. Tears were swelling in her eyes.

“You’re as beautiful as your mother.”

“Thanks Auntie.”

“Our Yoong is definitely lucky to have you.”

Yoong didn’t rebel this time. He felt like it was not right to do so. He just smiled and led the two ladies to their seats. He admitted he had a lot of fun with Tiffany. His mother had to leave for business meeting halfway through. She suggested that Yoong should take Tiffany around.

“Auntie, it’s okay. Yoong’s busy, right?”

“Nah, he’s fine. Am I right, Yoong?”

Yoong nodded his head. He didn’t really mind.

*

“Wow, this is really beautiful.”

Yoong took Tiffany up to the mountains to enjoy some breeze. That was his favourite place when he had too much things in his head.

“You like it?”

“Yeah, I love it. This is really beautiful.”

Yoong chuckled softly. Tiffany turned to look at him.

“Why?”

“I thought you would only be interested in shopping.”

Tiffany smirked at him.

“I love Mother Nature. I too have a place that I’d go to whenever I’m down.”

“Oh? Here? In Seoul?”

“Of course.”

“Weren’t you raised in US?”

“Mom brought me to Seoul when I was 10. I was here for 3 years. I hated here because the pace was just too slow back then. There wasn’t much interesting things to do until I found that place. I wonder if it’s still there.”

Tiffany whispered to herself. Yoong listened attentively and then smiled widely. He then took her hand and Tiffany turned immediately to look at him.

“Do you know how to go there?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Do you still remember the place then?”

“I think so.”

“I’ll take you there. Come on!”

Yoong pulled her along as they ran back to his car. Tiffany looked on as Yoong gently pulled her along and even waited for her to catch up. His gentle smile was slowly igniting the fire in her cold heart. She was falling in love with Kwon Yoong.

“Fany? Are you cold?”

“Huh? No, I was just thinking.”

“Well, your arms are shivering. I could see your goosebumps.”

Yoong took out his coat and put it over Tiffany’s shoulders.

“But you’ll get cold too.”

“It’s alright, I’m wearing long sleeves. I should be fine. Here, hurry up. I’ll turn on the heater in the car.”

They continued running back to his car.

*

“There it is!”

Tiffany led Yoong to a deserted tree house right in the middle of the Central Park in Seoul. It was at the end of the park where there were hardly people around. It was just too dark to enter alone but Yoong could still see couples hanging around for privacy.

“The tree house?”

“Yeah, I used to have one in US in my backyard. Come on!”

The two adults slowly walked up the steps that were built narrowly. They had to walk up one person at a time. After much difficulty, they finally reached the tree house. Tiffany was ecstatic. Yoong was amused.

“Let see.”

She sat down carefully at the corner of the house and swept away some tree growth. Her face lighted up when she saw something.

“Ah, it’s still here.”

She whispered softly. Yoong joined her as he sat beside her. He looked as well.

“Hwang Miyoung Stephanie was here.  As of today, this place would belong to me only.”

Yoong was reading it out loud. Then he turned to look at Tiffany.

“Stephanie?”

“That’s my real name.”

“And Tiffany is your fake name?”

Tiffany smiled. She sighed softly.

“I was born as Stephanie Hwang. But after my mom passed away, I changed it to Tiffany. She has always wanted to name me Tiffany.”

“Oh.”

Yoong nodded like as though he understood. He was feeling awkward whenever Tiffany mentioned her late mother. He didn’t want to hurt her further.

“Thank you for bringing me here, Yoong.”

She smiled widely. Yoong felt something in his heart. He felt happy. He was happy. He nodded before sitting closer to Tiffany. Tiffany wrapped her hands around his. He was taken aback.

“Thanks for giving me back my good memories, Yoong.”

Yoong smiled.

*

Yoong’s tears kept trickling down his face as his mind took a trip down the memory lane of him and Tiffany. The knife in his heart was twisting so much that Yoong could feel blood in his mouth. His index finger was tracing the outline of Tiffany’s photo.

“I don’t want to live anymore, Tiffany. I have been searching for you. I know about the baby. I know about our baby. I just couldn’t live in peace whenever I thought of you and our baby. I promised to myself that I would take you and our baby in when I find you. I don’t care if it’s going to be a tough time for me but I swear to God that I’d provide for you and our baby. But now, I couldn’t do anything, Tiffany. You’re gone. You’re gone forever and I finally realized how much I miss you, Tiffany. I love you, god dammit! I love you, Tiffany. I really do!”

Yoong smashed his fist onto the hard concrete floor; just next to Tiffany’s grave. Blood was oozing out profusely from his knuckles but Yoong just remained silent. He looked up; his vision was blurred by his tears and his knuckles were throbbing in pain. He slowly sat up and leaned against Tiffany’s grave. He kissed her photo again.

“Wait for me, Tiffany. I’m coming.”

Yoong whispered softly.

*

Jessica was worried. She couldn’t get through Yoong’s mobile. He would normally be home by 12 midnight but it was already past 9 am and there was no Yoong in sight. She felt uneasy. She felt like something was not right.

“Yoong, please be fine. Please be alright. I love you.”

She whispered softly.

*

Yul took Krystal out to the playground. The little girl’s eyes sparkled the moment she saw her favourite swing.

“Hang on, Soo Jung. I’m bringing you there.”

Yul carried the girl and she was already stretching her hands out for the swing. Yul placed her carefully before pushing the little girl on the swing.

“Dada~”

She was smiling widely and her eye smiles appeared. Yul chuckled softly. His granddaughter was having so much excitement just being on the swing. Just then, Taeyeon appeared before him. She was carrying a basket and a flask.

“Yul, I brought some sandwiches. Let’s eat something.”

“Wow, I was a getting a little hungry.”

“Here, I pour some coffee for you.”

Yul looked on as his ex wife slowly poured the coffee into the plastic mug. She then proceeded to take out two loaves of sandwiches and slowly cut them into two. Yul looked on as his ex wife pinched a bit of the sandwich and fed him.

“Thanks Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon gave him the sweetest smile. She then placed the plate of sandwich in front of Yul. Yul was staring at the back of Taeyeon’s white hands. He used to hold them; he used to kiss them; he used to play with her fingers and the spaces between their fingers used to fit together.

*

“Taeyeon, I’m sorry. I don’t love you anymore.”

*SLAP*

It stung his cheek hard. It was red and Yul knew Taeyeon was really mad with him. She stared at him with the glare piercing through his eyes.

“So you want to divorce me because you feel like we are no longer compatible anymore?”

“Taeyeon, it’ll be better than we try to work things out.”

“You think I’ll be happy?”

“Tae, I’ll give you 80% of my shares to you. I’ll give you whatever you want.”

“I don’t want anything from you, Yul. I just want your love.”

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I just couldn’t give you that..”

*

“Taeyeon!”

Yul was panicking when Taeyeon fainted in front of him. They just signed the divorce papers and he was now a free man. But watching Taeyeon crumbled in front of him still hurt him a lot.

“Taeyeon, hang on! I’ll rush you to the hospital!”

Despite no longer being her husband, Yul felt that he was still responsible for Taeyeon. He rushed his ex wife to the hospital. He glanced to his side as he held Taeyeon’s hand tightly. He drove with just one hand but he couldn’t help worrying for Taeyeon.

“You’ll be fine, Taeyeon. You’ll be fine.”

Deep down inside, Yul knew he still loves his ex wife.

*

“Congratulations, Mr Kwon! Your wife is pregnant!”

Yul was stunned.

“She’s 4 months pregnant now.”

“Wait, she’s what?”

“She’s 4 months pregnant. Didn’t she tell you?”

“You mean you knew?”

“She was here when she complained she was having headache and felt nausea. I was the one who confirmed her pregnancy.”

Yul’s mind was in the mess. Taeyeon didn’t inform him of her pregnancy. He was too hung up on the divorce that he didn’t even think of Taeyeon’s health. He sat beside her as she was sleeping peacefully on the bed.

He leaned closer and took a good look at his ex wife’s face. He was a stupid man. He was the dumbest man alive for not seeing what’s in front of him.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I’m really sorry.”

*

“Woo Young-shi?”

“I don’t think I’m ready to accept Taeyeon and her baby.”

“What? But you loved her!”

“You’re right, Kwon Yul. I only like her because she’s a popular artiste. But now she’s pregnant. Am I supposed to be responsible for a child that is not even my own flesh and blood?”

Yul was furious. Taeyeon met a jerk. Well, he was equally a jerk but Woo Young was worse than him.

“Then leave. Leave before I kill you.”

“I know you still care for Taeyeon. You should work things out together.”

“Don’t tell me what to do. Just leave!”

Woo Young left quickly and Yul felt sorry for his ex wife. Taeyeon was in her bedroom; crying softly into the pillow. Yul walked in and his heart ached.

“Taeyeon..”

“Why are you here? Am I that pitiful to you? I don’t need you!”

“I’m not! I just want to be here for you.”

“What?”

“You’re carrying my baby. I’ll not leave your side. I’m going to be here for you.”

Taeyeon looked up.

“Then why can’t you love me, Yul?”

Yul was speechless.

*

“Yul?”

“Huh?”

“What were you thinking of? I think you spaced out for the last 10 minutes.”

“Nah, I was just thinking of something.”

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon smiled before turning her attention to her granddaughter. Yul looked on as Taeyeon chased Krystal all around the playground; pretending to be a monster. Little Krystal was shrieking in happiness as she cleverly ducked her grandmother’s moves.

Yul was smiling to himself. He felt at ease; not because of Krystal. He knew his heart felt at ease because of Taeyeon. He could feel his feelings for her grew as they spent more time together.

“Taeyeon, will you accept me back?”

Yul whispered softly.

*

Yoong was in his taxi; he tried to hide his face from the public view. He saw his father and his mother at the playground. They looked happy together. Yoong smiled.

Just then, the little girl appeared yet again. Yoong watched her closely and then his heart ached so much. He could see a striking resemblance of the little girl and himself.

Yoong knew.

Yoong knew that the little girl is none other than his own flesh and blood – his own daughter.

*

“Oof!”

“Tae!”

“I’m fine, Yul.”

“You’re bleeding, Taeyeon. Come over here! Let me help you.”

Yul held Taeyeon by her waist and walked back to the bench nearby. Krystal was still playing by herself.

“Krystal, stay close to Dada and Mama, okay?”

The girl nodded her head but continued to play by herself. Yul then turned over to Taeyeon; taking out the wet tissue from Taeyeon’s bag. He carefully wiped her wound and Taeyeon was staring at him. He smiled at her before blowing at the wound.

“What are you doing?”

Taeyeon was amused.

“You used to do that for me when I got injured.”

Yul was grinning away as Taeyeon smacked on his arm gently.

“I remember, Yul. You had that painful look on your face so I had to do that.”

Yul continued cleaning the wound. They have momentarily forgotten about Little Krystal. She was wandering further away from them. But her grandparents were too caught up with each other to notice her.

*

“DADA~~ MAMA~~”

Little Krystal started screaming for her grandparents when she realized she wandered too far off from them. Tears were welling up in their eyes as she nervously walked around.

“DADA!! MAMA!!”

She was already running around when she couldn’t see her grandparents. Finally she burst out into tears and was wailing loudly. She was scared; terrified being all alone in a big place. She stopped abruptly and cried at the top of her lungs. Everyone was staring at her and it made Krystal even scared.

But fortunately, a kind soul came up to her and knelt down in front of her. His gentle smile somehow put Krystal at ease but she was still wary of him.

“Are you lost?”

He spoke softly. Little Krystal nodded her head.

“I’ll help you.”

“Dada said cannot talk to strangers.”

The man chuckled softly.

“I’ll bring you to the police. They can help to find your Dada.”

The man stretched his hand out and Krystal was hesitant. But she eventually stretched out her little hand and the man took it in gently.

“Let’s go find your Dada.”

Little Krystal finally let out a soft chuckle before giving her signature eye smile.

*

Yoong saw Tiffany’s reflection in that smile. That eye smile was perfectly defined and the attributes were just beautiful. He wanted to hug the little girl but he didn’t want to scare her. Holding her tiny soft hand was the most he could do.

Yoong made his way to the police station. He knew where to go but he didn’t want to arouse his parents’ suspicions. They have suffered so much because of him. It was better not to reveal himself for now.

He was taking his time while Little Krystal was following him from behind. Just then, she pulled him back. Yoong knelt down in front of him again.

“Yes?”

“Krystal hungry.”

“Krystal? Your name is Krystal?”

“Yes. Mommy gave.”

“That’s a beautiful name. What’s your full name?”

“Krystal Kwon Soo Jung~”

Yoong’s tears fell immediately. Despite all that, Krystal took his surname. He pulled the little girl closer and hugged her tightly. He just couldn’t control his feelings. And the most amazing thing was, Krystal wasn’t afraid of him. She just let him hug her.

*

Yoong hid behind the pillar. Taeyeon and Yul were reunited with Krystal. They were kissing and hugging the little girl. Yoong knew how precious Krystal was to them. Yoong could have taken his daughter away but he knew that she would be better off living with his parents.

Krystal managed to see him. She waved excitedly at him. Yoong waved back. She grinned before resting her head against Yul’s shoulder. Yoong looked on as his parents were hugging Krystal tightly in their embrace.  He wanted so much to reveal himself but he stopped himself.

“Krystal, where did you go?”

“Uncle saved me.”

“Uncle?”

“There!”

Yoong quickly walked away. He couldn’t show himself.

“Krystal, Daddy loves you.”

He mumbled to himself as tears fell down his cheeks.

*

Jessica was getting anxious. Yoong didn’t respond to her calls. Kai was already running around the house.

“Kai, stop running. You’ll fall.”

Like on cue, Kai fell on his knees. He started wailing loudly. Jessica ran towards him and embraced him.

“Mommy said don’t run, right? See, you’re injured.”

Kai was sobbing away as he cuddled closer to his mom. Jessica kissed his forehead before massaging his knees gently. Kai has his father’s smile.

“Daddy..?”

Kai asked innocently.

“Daddy is still working.”

Jessica lied. She wasn’t too sure actually.

“Miss Daddy.”

Kai pouted his lips. Jessica leaned closer and gave him a soft peck on his lips.

“Mommy misses Daddy too.”

She cuddled her precious boy closer to her.

*

“Noona, are you alright?”

“Yoong, my stomach hurts.”

“Wait, hang on! I’ll rush you to the hospital!”

Yoong carried Jessica on his back as he ran down the lane. It didn’t come across his mind to take the cab. He was too anxious.

“Noona, are you okay?”

“Yoong, it hurts really bad.”

“Hang on! We’re reaching!”

It took Yoong 20 minutes to run from their place to the hospital nearby. He was thankful that the hospital was just around the corner. Jessica was immediately rushed to the delivery room. Yoong was taken aback. The baby was premature.

“Wait, she’s not full term yet!”

“We cannot wait. She’s losing a lot of blood. You might lose your baby if we don’t hurry!”

“Yoong!”

“I’m coming, Noona!”

Yoong grabbed hold of Jessica’s hand as the nurses wheeled her in.

“You’re coming with us, Sir?”

“Can I?”

“Of course you can. You can witness the birth of your baby.”

Yoong glanced down to Jessica who was gazing at him.

“I’d love to.”

It was pure madness when they got into the delivery room. The doctor opted for Caesarean as the baby was at the risk. But fortunately, they could save him.

“Congratulations! It’s a boy!”

Jessica cried when the doctor placed her newborn son in her arms. She kissed his forehead and Yoong was kissing hers.

“Thank you, Noona. He’s beautiful.”

*

Jessica fell asleep on the sofa after putting Kai into bed. Yoong hasn’t returned home yet. She waited for him since yesterday. She was worried for him. She was really worried for Yoong. Although they had a baby together, but after Yoong was chased out of the house, Jessica could feel that Yoong was drifting apart from her.

Yoong was devastated when he found out that Tiffany was carrying her baby as well. He went home after the confrontation with Soo Young with tears streaming down his cheeks. He was broken. He was completely in a wreck. Jessica used to quarrel with him over Tiffany but after that revelation, Jessica knew she didn’t have much right to say anything anymore.

Still, Jessica stood by Yoong’s side. That was all she could do for Yoong. Yoong, on the other hand, couldn’t figure out if he loves Jessica or Tiffany. He soon realized that whatever he had done was on impulsive. He regretted hurting so many people in the process and that included Jessica.

There was a jingling sound. Someone was opening the door. Yoong entered quietly. He didn’t want to wake Jessica up. He saw her sleeping on the sofa. His heart was breaking apart when he saw the tired look on Jessica’s face. He made a painful decision that night.

He took his belongings and went to Kai’s room. He kissed his forehead and then his cheek. He then went out to the living room. He placed his bank book and some cash in the envelope. He even left a letter for Jessica.

Yoong has decided to leave. He couldn’t live after knowing Tiffany had left him eternally. He didn’t deserve to be happy when his daughter had become an orphan because of his irresponsibility.

“I’m sorry, Jessica.”

That was his last words before kissing Jessica on her forehead.

*

To be continued.........