Part 6

Noona

Kai couldn’t shake off the image of the man who rescued him earlier on. He found him familiar but he just couldn’t put a finger to it.

Kris was about to do some serious damage when a man suddenly ran towards them. He pulled Kris away.

“Kris!”

“What the hell do you want, old man?”

“What are you doing? And why are you holding a pocket knife?”

“It’s none of your business!”

“It is now! Look, the police are here.”

Kris’s eyes grew larger.

“You called them?!”

“I just saw them. Someone else might have seen what you did to that boy.”

The man turned to Kai and offered his hand. Kai took it and he gently lifted the boy up. Chanyeol was already pulling his brother away.

“Chanyeol, go back to the car! Take your brother with you. I’ll come shortly.”

“Okay!”

The two brothers quickly disappeared from his view. Kai was still hurting as he clutched his chest tightly. Kris’s kicks were painful. The man then took out $100 note from his wallet. He gave it to Kai. Kai looked up. The man was extremely worried.

“Here, take this. Go and see the doctor. You look bad.”

The man then turned around and limped away. Kai couldn’t speak much but just clenched the money in his hand.

The man looked too familiar. He thought he saw him before but he couldn’t remember where.

*

“Kai?”

Kai was sitting outside the clinic with his upper lip slightly torn. His left eye was blue black and there were bruises all over his arms. He looked up slowly; then squint his eyes. Krystal was looking at him worriedly with Minho behind her. He looked away.

“What happened to you?”

“It’s none of your business.”

“Kai, you have bruises all over your arms. What did you do?”

Krystal’s voice quivered. She was tearing up. Kai heard it and his heart ached. Krystal was already touching his arms; examining the bruises on his arms. Minho was just looking on. He managed to bow slightly and Minho returned it.

“What happened?”

Krystal’s voice was softer than earlier on. It was obvious to Kai that she was worried and probably hurting with his blatant rudeness earlier on.

“I got into a fight.”

“What? Who did you fight with?”

“Kris.”

“He saw you?”

“Yes.”

“Are you going to be fine?”

“I think I will be alright. Your friend is waiting. Don’t make him wait.”

Kai was gesturing to Minho who was looking awkward than before. Krystal turned to apologise to Minho.

“Minho oppa, I can go home by myself.”

“Hm? You sure?”

“I need to send him home later. I’ll get home by cab.”

“Oh alright. Call me when you’re home then.”

Krystal nodded and gave Minho her phone. He keyed in his contact number and gave a missed call to his number. The two exchanged goodbyes and Minho gave Krystal a quick hug. Kai was watching them; he was irked with the hug.

“I’m going now.”

“Thanks Oppa.”

“Sure. Take care alright?”

Krystal nodded and Minho quickly left the place. She then turned to Kai and sighed loudly. She sat beside him; taking his left arm to her lap. Then she took out her tissue and wiped the dried blood above his lip. He winced.

“I’m sorry. I’ll be more careful.”

“It’s okay.”

Kai was staring as Krystal wiped the blood gently. Their eyes met and Krystal’s cheeks were blushing. She was leaning closer but Kai quickly moved away. He pulled his arm away from her.

“You look good with Minho hyung.”

“What?”

“He seems to care a lot about you.”

“Ah, yes. He does.”

Krystal crushed the tissue in her palm. Kai was being a jerk all over again. And she wondered why it hurt so badly.

“I saw you with him earlier on.”

Krystal looked at him, surprised.

“He made you smile so much.”

“I only treat him like a brother.”

“Krystal, he’s a better choice.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You forgot what I’ve told you earlier on?”

“About my grandfather and your mother?”

“Yes, I saw them hugging right in front of my eyes, Krystal.”

“Maybe they are old friends.”

“Your grandfather is much older than my mother. The way they were hugging each other was just suggesting that there were more than just friends.”

“You’re being oversensitive.”

“Krystal, let’s forget about it, okay?”

Kai cut the conversation short and he regretted immediately. Krystal was staring ahead and Kai felt guilty for that short fuse. He slowly turned to Krystal; he saw tears in her eyes.

“Krystal..”

“I’m sorry if my grandfather has crossed over the line.”

“No, Krystal.. I shouldn’t blame it on you.”

“I can understand, Kai. You’re protective of your mother.”

“She’s all I have, Krystal.”

Krystal nodded her head. She was being rejected even before she could ever confess. Kai was cold and determined not to make any mistakes. Her heart was aching all over again and Kai knew it was going to be difficult for them to get closer after this. But Krystal proved him wrong.

“You can leave now.”

“No.”

“Krystal..”

“I’m not going to leave you like this. After seeing the doctor, I’m going to bring you home. We can still be friends, right?”

Krystal was hopeful. She was looking at him intently and Kai just couldn’t resist her. He nodded his head.

“It’s your turn now. Let’s go.”

*

Soo Young was sitting on the sofa. He just couldn’t believe what transpired last night. He allowed his greed to take him over and he bedded Jessica twice yesterday. They had a quick one at his office and then he sent her home. He thought it was over but Jessica took the initiative this time. They ended up doing it again for the second time.

He buried his face in his hands. He chided himself for not able to control himself. He knew Jessica was vulnerable and perhaps needed someone. But he should be more level-headed and not adding onto the problems that they already have.

“Stupid Soo Young!”

He cursed himself. Just then, he heard noises and the door opened. Jessica stood at the doorway; staring at him. Soo Young was staring at her too but for a brief moment. He then looked away. Jessica sighed before walking over to him. She sat beside him.

“Soo Young..”

“I’m sorry for what happened last night. I wasn’t in the right state of mind.”

“Soo Young, look at me.”

He slowly turned and Jessica took his hands into hers.

“I’m not offended.”

“I shouldn’t have taken advantage of you.”

“Soo Young, can I ask you something?”

Jessica was fragile. Soo Young knew it well. He shouldn’t be doing this and he had the intention to leave quickly after sending Jessica home. But instead, he was dragged to the room; lips still on hers and their clothes were shedding as they made their way to the bedroom.

“ Soo Young.”

Jessica moaned as the man buried his face in her neck. It was just too hot and too way deep to leave. Soo Young momentarily had forgotten who Jessica was. He loves her and he has never stopped. The desire to have her was getting stronger the moment he saw her again.

Jessica on the other hand was completely riled with what happened lately. Meeting Yul made her crumbled into pieces. All Yul did was to hug her but the familiar scent that Yul had was pushing her back to the past. She suddenly remembered those moments when she was genuinely falling in love with Yul. It was just so wrong that Yul decided to forgive her after what she had done.

Jessica snapped out of her thoughts when Soo Young touched her at areas that were slowly igniting the fire from within.

“Soo Young..”

Jessica whispered softly into his ears. The man nodded as he planted soft kisses around her cheeks and jaw-line. Jessica was a supreme goddess. She still looks beautiful and her body is still perfection. They were moving in sync; not aggressive; not passive but just enough for both of them to enjoy it although it seemed to be rushing.

Things got heated up and their bodies were connected. Jessica was feeling hot inside and Soo Young was in full speed. The room was filled in with moans, grunts and sloppy kisses. Suddenly time seemed to have stopped and Jessica was hitting the roof. Soo Young went faster and then they ed together; screaming each others’ names.

As both took time to calm down, Soo Young slowly moved up to face Jessica. He stared into her eyes and Jessica was looking back. Suddenly, Soo Young whispered something in her ears. Jessica was stunned.

“Jessica, I love you.”

*

“Jessica?”

“You have to be honest with me.”

“Sure, what is it?”

Jessica bit her lower lip. Soo Young confessed yesterday. He was intoxicated yesterday. She wanted to know now if that confession is legit.

“Jessica? What is it?”

“Soo Young, you confessed last night.”

“Huh?”

“You said you love me.”

Soo Young was stunned.

“Soo Young, are you in love with me?”

“Jessica, I..”

Soo Young was panicking but Jessica came closer. She cupped her hands around Soo Young’s cheeks. She cupped them tightly in her palms.

“Soo Young, how long have you been in love with me?”

Jessica’s voice was soft and gentle. He looked at Jessica. His heart was beating faster than ever.

“Since the first time I met you.”

Jessica was stunned.

“The first time Yoong brought you to meet me, that was the time when my heart fell for you. My whole world crumbled when I found out that you were Uncle Yul’s girlfriend. I knew I could never get you. So when you ran away with Yoong, I felt betrayed.”

Jessica gently caressed his cheeks.

“But when I met you again, I realized my heart still wants you. I couldn’t love another girl but you, Jessica. But..”

Tears were evident in his eyes. And Jessica’s heart was aching.

“Things are complicated now, Jessica.”

“Why?”

“Do you know Kai’s friend?”

“Which friend?”

“The one who went to the birthday party few weeks ago?”

“What’s wrong with that?”

Soo Young swallowed hard.

“That’s Tiffany’s daughter, Jessica.”

Jessica was stunned.

*

Yoong drove the two boys back home. Chanyeol was grateful to him but Kris remained undaunted.

“Uncle Yoong, thanks for saving us from the police.”

“It’s my job to protect you two boys.”

“You’re such a good man. You saved Daddy’s life and now our lives.”

“Why are you thanking him for?”

“Hyung, he saved your life.”

“Whatever.”

Chanyeol ignored his brother but continued chatting with Yoong. Yoong looked at Kris from his rear mirror. The guy was always looking so sullen. He was always unhappy and Yoong wondered why.

“Uncle Yoong, please don’t let Dad know. He will kill Hyung if he knows.”

“Don’t worry; I’ll keep my mouth shut.”

“Thanks Uncle Yoong! Hyung, quickly say thank you!”

“I don’t need his help.”

“Hyung, what’s wrong with you? You were trying to kill someone earlier on.”

“It’s none of your business.”

“It is my business too! Look, if you continue to be stubborn like this, I’ll tell Mom.”

“You!”

“I know the only person you respect is Mom. If you want her heart to be broken again, I’ll let her know what happened today.”

“You dare!”

“Say thank you to Uncle Yoong and I’ll not let her know.”

Kris grudgingly said thank you and Chanyeol was smiling widely. Yoong watched as Chanyeol tried to make his brother smile. He started to think of his two children – Krystal and Kai.

If only he could think properly, he would have both his children with him and of course, two ladies who loved him deeply would stay by his side too.

He couldn’t stop regretting.

He had let Tiffany and Jessica down.

*

Krystal sent Kai home. Jessica was at home; waiting for Kai to return home. She was surprised to see her son in bandages.

“Kai?!”

Kai ignored her. He was still upset about what he saw earlier on. He just brushed his arm against his mother. Jessica was shocked.

“Auntie, he’s in a bad mood. But the doctor said his injuries are superficial. They will heal soon.”

Jessica turned to find a girl standing at the door. The girl handed over a white plastic bag filled with medicines.

“I have to go now.”

“Wait, I’m sorry for being rude earlier on. But thank you for sending Kai home.”

“It’s my pleasure, Auntie.”

“What’s your name?”

“Krystal.”

“Krystal?”

“Krystal Kwon.”

Jessica’s heart fell immediately.

*

Kai was hiding in his room. He refused to go out. Jessica was wondering what happened. Her son was mad at her but she couldn’t understand why.

“Kai, do you want to eat something?”

“No.”

“Kai, you need to take your medicine. Let me cook for you something.”

“I said no.”

“Kai, what’s going on?”

Kai’s eyes were filled with tears. The image of his mother hugging Krystal’s grandfather was still vivid on his mind. He hates his mother for some reason.

“Kai, please tell Mommy what happened.”

Kai refused to answer her. Instead, he his music in full volume. He wished his mother understood his hint that he didn’t want to talk to her.

Jessica heard the loud music. Kai was extremely pissed. She was concerned. Krystal has left awhile ago. She was staring intently at Krystal; she finally saw Tiffany’s eyes in that girl. She definitely looks a lot like Yoong too. Her eye smiles were just so perfect; just like Tiffany’s.

“Jessica?”

She turned to find Soo Young at her door. She has forgotten to close the door after Krystal left. She was still stunned to come face to face with Tiffany’s daughter.

“Why did you leave your door open?”

“Krystal was here.”

“What?!”

“She sent Kai home. That boy has bruises all over his arms. But he refused to open the door and refused to talk to me.”

“Did something happen?”

“I don’t know, Soo Young. I’m just petrified now.”

“He’s in the room?”

“Yes, he’s blasting the music.”

“Did you two quarrel earlier on?”

“I haven’t seen him for the whole day until now.”

“Do you want me to speak to him?”

“Soo Young, I don’t think he likes you either.”

“I can see that.”

“It’s okay. I’ll talk to him later. Why are you back?”

“I bought dinner. I thought you might be hungry.”

“I was just about to cook.”

“Don’t bother. Just heat up for Kai later, okay?”

Jessica nodded and Soo Young was smiling at her. He passed her the food before making his way to the door. But Jessica held him back.

“Soo Young..”

“Hm?”

“Thank you for loving me.”

“Jessica..”

“I don’t know how I’m supposed to make it up to you.”

“Let’s settle all this mess first. We have to stop making mistakes and face reality.”

“Kai will hate me.”

“No he won’t. You’re his mother.”

Jessica pulled Soo Young closer and wrapped her arms around him. She hugged him tightly and Soo Young kissed her forehead. Just then, Kai stepped out his room.

“DONT TOUCH MY MOTHER!”

The boy was pissed.

*

Krystal was walking to the bus stop when it started raining heavily. She ran to the bus stop; she was completely drenched. Suddenly a car stopped in front of her. She was confused.

“You’re going somewhere?”

A man popped his head out from the car. Krystal couldn’t recognize him at first.

“You’re that uncle I saw at the bus stop few days ago?”

“Yes, what are you doing here?”

“I was trying to get home when it rained.”

“Oh? Where do you stay? I can give you a lift.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you.”

Krystal hesitated. But the man looked kind enough. She took the gamble and got into his passenger seat. The man gave her a towel to dry herself off. Krystal thanked him politely.

“Where do you stay?”

Krystal gave him the directions and he drove off quickly. The man didn’t talk much but each time he turned to look at her, he would smile. Somehow Krystal felt easy being with him. She was warming up with him.

“Uncle, do you have children?”

He nodded his head.

“I have two – a boy and a girl.”

“Wow, how old are they?”

“They should be around your age.”

“So you’re married?”

“Yes I am.”

“You must a happy family, right?”

“I don’t know if they are happy with me.”

“Why not?”

“I didn’t take good care of them.”

“But you love them, right?”

“Yes, I love them so much.”

“Maybe they didn’t know.”

“Maybe.”

Krystal smiled and the man nodded his head. There were tears in his eyes but Krystal didn’t want to upset him.

“I love my mother.”

Krystal spoke up softly. The man turned to look at her.

“My mother left me when I was a baby. She has returned to the loving arms of God. I never met my father. I don’t know who he is. My grandparents never mentioned about him to me.”

Krystal’s eyes were watery.

“I believe my father left my mother for a reason. Maybe he doesn’t love her anymore. Maybe my mother wasn’t good enough for him.”

The man just listened attentively. He didn’t make any noise. Krystal was wiping her tears away. The man turned to look at her; he seemed sorry.

“I believe your father loves your mother but he just didn’t realize it. He was probably realizing it too late.”

“I guess so.”

“Do you hate your father?”

Krystal shook her head.

“I don’t.”

“Why?”

“I believe my mother doesn’t want me to hate him either.”

*

Yoong tried to hold back his tears after Krystal’s last sentence. His heart was aching so much. He wanted so much to tell Krystal that he still loves her mother. He still loves her so much. He wanted to pull her closer and hug her but Yoong just couldn’t move.

He has done so many mistakes – one of the biggest mistakes he had done was to divorce Tiffany. He wished he could do this all over again. He wished it was just a nightmare and when he woke up one day, Tiffany would still be with me.

But this wasn’t a dream. It was reality – a painful reality that tore Yoong up all the time. Yoong finally reached his old house and Krystal was already disengaging her safety belt. She turned to look at him and smiled.

“Thanks Uncle.”

“It’s my biggest pleasure, Krystal.”

The girl nodded and then quickly got out the car. Yoong watched as the girl walked towards the huge gate and pulled it before waving goodbye to him for the last time. He waved back and the girl disappeared behind the gates.

Yoong sat there in silence. His heart ached. He was sorry. He was feeling miserable inside. He wished he could turn everything around.

“I’m sorry, Krystal. Daddy’s sorry.”

He murmured before driving away.

*

Yul was in the living room when Krystal stepped in. He turned to find the girl glaring at him. He was taken aback at first but shrugged it away.

“Krystal? Did you get caught under the rain?”

His granddaughter didn’t answer. She just walked away and got up to her room. Yul was surprised at the sudden change and was feeling uneasy. Taeyeon saw what happened and quickly joined Yul in the living room.

“What happened?”

“I have no idea. She just got home. She looked pissed though.”

“What did you do again?”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Do you need me to talk to her?”

“I’ll do it. I’ll talk to her.”

Yul went up to Krystal’s room. Her room was not locked. Yul knocked before coming in. Krystal was covering her face with her pillow.

“Krystal?”

There was no sound. She didn’t reply.

“Krystal, what’s wrong? Are you angry with Dada?”

Yul sat at the edge of her bed. She didn’t move. She remained still.

“Krystal, you have to tell me what’s bothering you. Maybe I can help.”

“What did you do this afternoon?”

Her voice was stern.

“This afternoon? I went to visit an old friend.”

“An old friend?”

Krystal sat up immediately. Yul was right. She was crying.

“Yes, an old friend. What’s wrong?”

“A female?”

“Yes, she’s a lady.”

“What’s your relationship with her, Dada?”

Yul was surprised at Krystal’s question.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

Krystal was frustrated. She sighed loudly.

“Kai saw you hugging his mother.”

Yul’s eyes grew larger.

*

“Kai!”

“I HATE YOU!”

“KAI! WAIT! KAI!”

Kai ran out of the house after he witnessed his mother hugging Soo Young. He didn’t give his mother a chance to explain and ran out of the house immediately. He was angry; he was mad at her. Why was she hugging men so freely? He thought his mother still loves his father.

Honestly, Kai couldn’t understand why he ran out of the house. Was he jealous that his mother was hugging another man? Or was he terrified that he might lose Krystal if his mother decides to have a relationship with Soo Young or Krystal’s grandfather?

Kai knows he adores Krystal. But things happened too fast and he didn’t like the way his mother was reacting with the men around her.

Maybe his father left them for a reason. For that moment, in impulse, Kai thought his mother was a . It was raining heavily and Kai was walking around the neighbourhood aimlessly. He didn’t know where to go and his body was getting warmer by the minute.

His head was feeling lighter by the minute. Things around him were twirling like a whirlpool and he could feel his brain fried up in the heat. Kai fell to the ground; his body was getting weaker and weaker.

And before he loses consciousness, he could hear a voice calling out his name.

“KAI!”

He blinked his eyes. The voice was closer to him now.

“Kai, are you alright?”

He mumbled.

“Mom..”

That was the last thing he said before passing out.

*

To be continued....