Part 4

Noona

 

“Yul, what are you doing?”

“Taeyeon, I know we might be too old to do this.”

“What are you talking about? Are you alright? Why are you on your knees?”

“Taeyeon, just listen to what I have to say.”

Taeyeon just glanced down to her ex husband who was kneeling down right in front of her. He seemed to be in a rush; he seemed concerned over something which Taeyeon didn’t have any idea what it was. She was worried for him. She has always been.

“I’m a stupid, stupid man. I didn’t see what’s in front of me. I still couldn’t believe why I let you go when I knew that you were the only one who would love me so deeply and up till now, you’re still the one who takes good care of me; looking after my needs; taking care of our grandchild; returned to my side when I needed someone and then stood by my side until this very moment.”

Yul’s eyes were watering. So was Taeyeon. She couldn’t hide her smile while Yul cleared his throat. He then slipped his hand into his pocket and took out a tiny gift box. There was a ring in it. He took it out and Taeyeon was gasping in surprise.

“Every single day that you’re with me makes me feel alive all over again. It felt like the very first time I laid my eyes on you and I was falling in love with you. That same kind of feeling is slowly growing now, Taeyeon. And I know that this time around, I’ll never ever want to let you go.”

Yul took Taeyeon’s hand and took out the ring. He smiled widely as Taeyeon was visibly touched with his words.

“Kim Taeyeon, I know I have done you wrong. I’ve lost almost half of my life living without you. And I regret it. So now, I’m going to live the rest of my life by your side; taking care of you; holding your hand as we walk along the park together; growing old and watching the sunset and sunrise with you every single day. I promise I’ll return the lost time that we should have been spending together as we move on together.”

Yul was choking on his tears and Taeyeon was already wiping his tears away. He took a deep breath before looking up to her.

“Kim Taeyeon, will you marry me, again?”

He didn’t need to ask her. She was just more willing to stay by his side even if he didn’t ask her to marry him again. She nodded eagerly and Yul cried immediately. He was in tears and Taeyeon had to hug him; reassuring him that everything was going to be alright.

He then took her hand and the ring as he slowly wore it over her finger. The diamond on the ring was shining brightly. Taeyeon then pulled him up and hugged him tightly. The couple shared a soft kiss before hugging each other for a little bit more.

“What are you thinking of?”

Yul spun around to find Taeyeon carrying a tray with two cups of tea and some biscuits. He took the tray from her and leaned closer to kiss her lips.

“Nothing, I miss you.”

“Tsk. Why are you so mushy?”

“Well, you chose to marry me, again.”

“We are grandparents to an 18 year old granddaughter. Aren’t you a little too old to be a romantic lad?”

“Hey, I can be romantic even when I turn 90, okay?”

Her old man was pouting his lips and Taeyeon chuckled softly. They are in their late 40s but that didn’t stop Yul from being a hopeless romantic freak. He nudged his wife gently to the sofa before sitting comfortably beside her.

Yul simply enjoys his quiet afternoons with Taeyeon; just like this. Just then, their granddaughter appeared at the balcony. She squeezed herself in between them; causing Yul to yelp.

“YA~!”

“You have been spending too much time with Mama! It’s my turn!”

“Where did you come from? I thought you’re coming home late?”

Krystal raised her left eyebrow as she narrowed her eyes at her grandfather.

“Are you in a rush of something?”

“Huh? No?”

“Then why are you chasing me away?”

“I did not!”

“You just did! Mama, Dada hates me!”

“I don’t hate you!”

“Don’t lie!”

“Why, you!”

Yul wanted to grab his granddaughter but she jumped up immediately. She was more agile than anyone else and she jumped over the sofa. Yul was running after her and Krystal ran around the sofa; making Taeyeon giddy with happiness.

She smiled to herself as she watched her husband and granddaughter spending time together. Krystal has always been close to her grandfather. But her smile soon faded when she thought of Yoong and her grandson – the son which Jessica bore for Yoong. She wondered how he would look like and his well being. She has always been thinking of Yoong but has never spoken about him to Yul.

Maybe there was just too much pain in between them that it prevented them to talk about their only son. They just concentrated on Krystal. That’s all they could do right now.

Just then, Krystal’s phone rang. The phone was on the coffee table. Taeyeon leaned closer and saw Kai’s name blinking. She quickly turned into her teasing mode.

“Soo Jung ah, Kai’s calling.”

Her granddaughter immediately turned with a huge smile on her face. It was obvious to Taeyeon that the girl has some affection towards that boy. She ran away from her grandfather before grabbing the phone from her grandmother’s hand. Taeyeon was waving it in the air earlier on.

“Thanks, Mama! See you later, Dada!”

And she disappeared quickly; back to her room.

“That girl is really quick!”

“Her crush is calling her. What do you think?”

“Who’s Kai?”

Yul seemed to have poor memory. Taeyeon smacked his forehead.

“Ow. What was that for?”

“You interrogated all the boys who came to her party and you conveniently forgot one of them?”

“Oh? That boy who gave her the necklace?”

“Who else?”

Yul nodded and took a sip of his tea. He frowned as he stared in the direction where Krystal has gone to. And then he sighed.

“She’s too young to have a boyfriend.”

He mumbled softly.

“Hey, what did I say before? Let her make her own decisions.”

“But she just turned 18!”

“They are not even together. It’s just puppy love, Yul.”

Yul pouted his lips which prompted Taeyeon to give him a soft kiss. He smiled widely.

“Fine then. I will listen to you.”

“Don’t worry; I think Krystal knows it is still too early to have a boyfriend.”

Yul nodded. Maybe he was just overreacting.

*

Kai was surprised to see Soo Young in the living room. He was sleeping on the sofa. Kai then looked up to his mother’s room. Did something happen? He quickly ran in and saw his mother sleeping on her bed. Her eyes were swollen and Kai was frowning. What happened? He sat on her bed and gently wiped the tear streaks at the corner of her eyes. Jessica stirred in her sleep before opening her eyes softly.

Another pair of soft eyes looking at her with concerned – her beloved son was worried. Her heart fell when her son wiped her tears away. She was feeling sorry towards him.

“Mom, are you alright? Have you been crying?”

His voice was quivering. Jessica shook her head. She smiled widely. She was instantly consoled when Kai pulled her closer and hugged her tightly. Only her son could ease the ache in her heart.

“Are you sure? And why is that man sleeping outside?”

“What man?”

“Your friend. He’s outside sleeping on the sofa.”

Jessica quickly got out of the bed. Kai was close behind her. She saw Soo Young sleeping on the sofa. He seemed to be cold.

“What is he doing here, Mom?”

Kai whispered softly.

“He took me home and took care of me.”

“Why? Were you sick? Why didn’t you call me?”

“You weren’t at home. He was just being kind. He even cooked dinner for you.”

Kai wasn’t really happy to hear that. He was worried that his mother might be taken advantage of. He turned protective.

“I don’t like him to come here without me at home.”

Jessica was surprised at first but later amused with her son’s words.

“Because you’re the man of the house?”

“Of course I am! I have been protecting you for so long. I cannot let other man hurt you like how Dad did.”

Jessica was taken aback. She didn’t know her son resented his father. She wasn’t aware of it all.

“Kai, do you hate your father?”

“I hate him for leaving you.”

“Kai..”

“No man should leave his woman just like that.”

“He has reasons for leaving us.”

“What kind of reasons that he has to leave us?”

Jessica was about to answer when she heard Soo Young calling out to her.

“Sica?”

He was just outside her bedroom door.

“Soo Young, you’re still here?”

Jessica opened the door and stood facing Soo Young. Kai was behind her; glaring at Soo Young.

“Are you feeling better?”

“Yes, thanks Soo Young.”

“Oh okay. Kai’s home?”

“Yes he is.”

“Okay then, I’ll make a move.”

Soo Young tapped on Jessica’s hand gently before nodding his head at Kai. The boy acknowledged his presence but stood his ground. Soo Young left immediately.

Jessica looked on as Soo Young’s car sped off from the porch of her house. Her heart felt empty yet again after Soo Young left. She remembered Tiffany and tears swelled in her eyes again. Kai saw them. The protective boy quickly asked.

“Why are you crying again? Did he hurt you earlier on?”

“No, Kai. He’s a good man. I was just crying because I just found out about my friend.”

“What happened to your friend?”

“Our good friend died in a car accident and Mommy doesn’t know anything about it. He brought me to the grave to pay a visit. I just felt regretful.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Kai, I’m alright. He didn’t hurt me.”

“Okay.”

The boy murmured softly. His mom ruffled his hair while making her way to the kitchen. The boy followed through. She was heating up the soup Soo Young made earlier on. Kai sat on the dining table as he watched his mother moved around the kitchen freely.

Then he suddenly remembered seeing Soo Young at Krystal’s birthday party. He had to let his mother know.

“Mom.”

“Yes, honey?”

“I saw Uncle Soo Young at my friend’s birthday party.”

“Hm?”

“He’s my friend’s god father.”

Jessica turned instantly.

“What?”

“He attended my classmate’s birthday party. You remember the girl you kept asking about?”

Jessica’s grew larger.

“She calls him Daddy. She’s his god-daughter.”

Jessica was stunned. Could it be that girl is Tiffany’s daughter? She had to know.

*

“Mom, why is the man still staying at our house? I thought he has recovered.”

“Shh, how could you ask such questions?”

“You told us he would be leaving after he recovers.”

“Your father was the one who asked him to stay here.”

“That man saved your father’s life. And he has just recalled his past. Why are you being rude, Kris?”

“I don’t like him staying here. How long more do I have to share my room with Chanyeol?”

“If you don’t like it, you can sleep at the hotel.”

“Dad will scold me.”

“Then be a good boy and try to live together with the family.”

Yoong recalled the conversation Sunny had with her eldest twin son. He knew he wasn’t welcomed by the boys that much but the younger twin; Chanyeol was more tolerant of him. That was because Kris has spent his childhood in Canada before his father brought him home to Seoul to reunite with his mother and twin brother. He was always that rude but Sunny had a hold over him. After all, he’s her flesh and blood.

He had planned to leave but Mr Lee refused to let him go until he was fully recovered. Lee Sungmin and Sunny Lee were grateful to him. He saved Mr Lee’s life.

“Yoong?”

Yoong turned to find Sungmin at the door. He quickly got up but the man was quick to stop him.

“Hey, you don’t have to stand up.”

“Mr Lee, I have found my family.”

“Oh? But Sunny told me you’re not ready to face them.”

“I’m sorry. I cannot continue to live here for free. It must be inconvenient for Kris and Chanyeol.”

Sungmin burrowed his eyebrows together.

“Did Chanyeol complain to you?”

“No. He didn’t.”

“Then it must be Kris.”

“Mr Lee, it’s time for me to leave. I can find my own lodging.”

“I give you some money.”

“It’s okay. I can find work.”

“Then work for me.”

“Huh? What?”

“Work as my chauffer. You can send my boys to school every day so that they could stay out of trouble. I have enough of the school keep calling me; complaining about them.”

“But..”

“I’ll feel better if you do. Your leg becomes lame because of me. If you didn’t save me that night, you wouldn’t get injured like this.”

Sungmin was holding on to Yoong tightly. Yoong was grateful to him and he couldn’t let him down. He agreed on condition that he moves out of the house. He could find his own place. Sungmin offered to find a place for him. Yoong agreed.

Sungmin was satisfied and quickly find an arrangement for Yoong to live in. He left the room to make phone calls; leaving Yoong alone. The man sat on the bed and stared at his long scar running from down his leg.

Yoong left Jessica. He went over to Tiffany’s grave and knelt down in front of it. His tears were overflowing as he couldn’t accept reality that Tiffany was gone. He sat down and leaned his back against her grave. His mind kept playing all the memories he had shared with Tiffany.

The day they met each other for the first time; the day they got married; the day they spent their honeymoon in Rome; the night they had their first time – everything was really sweet for him. He knew he loves Tiffany to a certain extent but because of his stupidity – he left Tiffany for someone else he thought he was deeply in love with.

After leaving Tiffany for so long, Yoong started to feel the emptiness in his heart. Jessica couldn’t fill in Tiffany’s shoes and he felt lost after few weeks. As days went by, Yoong was missing Tiffany and often went drinking. He came home drunk; calling Jessica “Tiffany” and begged “Tiffany” to return back to him. He was subconsciously thinking of Tiffany. Jessica used to quarrel with him over Tiffany.  But when Soo Young confronted him about Tiffany’s pregnancy, which was when Yoong’s world crumbled like broken biscuits. The tiny pieces were just so difficult to patch it back together and Yoong was dying to find Tiffany. He wanted to make amends.

That was when Yoong decided to leave Jessica and he was contemplating to end his life to join Tiffany. He turned to face Tiffany’s grave and bowed down. His lips trembled.

“Fany, I finally realized that I’ve always loved you all this while. Maybe I was insane when I decided to divorce you. I thought I loved Jessica but I knew my love for her was slowly fading. I dreamt of having a life with you; with our baby. I was determined to keep you in my life; to take back and hold you in my arms tightly. I’ll never ever want to let go, Tiffany. I’d never let you go but all this has come to a naught. There was nothing I could do, Tiffany. You left without saying goodbye; you left in pieces and I could never; never ever hear your husky voice; begging for your forgiveness and given a chance to start all over again.”

His nose was clogged with mucus and tears wouldn’t stop falling. He wished Tiffany would just appear in front of him.

“I’m going to meet you, Tiffany. Wait for me.”

Yoong has decided to end his life. He stood up; kissed Tiffany’s photo and made his way back to his car. He was not thinking straight anymore. His mind was clouded with Tiffany and his heart was filled with guilt. He knew he was letting his children down; he has let Jessica down but he knew they were already in good hands. He downed bottle after bottle and after feeling a little tipsy, Yoong started his engine.

He knew what he was doing was stupid. Suddenly his mind transported him back to his past – when he was with his parents; when he was learning how to walk with his father and mother in front of him; urging him to move forward. They might be divorced but when it came to Yoong, they didn’t hesitate to give them all. And then Soo Young came into his mind. The first time Soo Young introduced himself in class when they were in kindergarten.

Then came the moment when Jessica appeared in his father’s life and whenever everything went wrong; and that right very moment when he saw Tiffany for the first time at the cafe. It was like a flashback and Yoong was already driving carelessly. Then he was hallucinating about his two children – Kai and Krystal. They were innocent. They needed him but he was just too emotional. He knew how devastated they might feel when they found out that their father was a coward who didn’t dare to face the reality. He wouldn’t want his children to think of him like that. It triggered something in him.

Yoong hit the brakes and the car stopped abruptly. He quickly got out of the car and scrambled to the safety of the pavement. Sudden thunder and lightning with heavy rain soon drenched him to his skin. Yoong was crying but it didn’t matter anyway. The rain washed away everything. Yoong just sat closely to the wall as he tried to keep his legs away from the rain.

“I cannot do this. I must face my reality. I have to make amends to my family; my kids and Jessica. I’m sure Tiffany wants me to do it this way. I’m sure she will hate me if she sees me in heaven with her.”

Yoong was mumbling to himself. He was finally calm when he closed his eyes and touched his heart. He could literally hear Tiffany’s voice whispering gently in his ears.

“Yoong, I love you. You have to be strong. I’ll be watching over you.”

But God planned something else for him. Yoong decided to return home to Jessica and planned to return and visit his parents but something had to happen. Yoong was about to get into his car when he heard brakes screeches behind him. There was a car driving recklessly and another chasing from behind. Yoong scrambled for his life when the first car crashed into his car. The other car sped off immediately.

Yoong was frightened. He was, for the first time in his life. He just stared at the crushed car and then he heard voices. Someone was calling for help. Yoong regained his senses and quickly helped the trapped driver. He was still alive.

“Hang on, I’ll get you out!”

Yoong managed to pull the man to safety but to his horror, the previous car has returned around. Yoong was holding on to the guy tightly when he saw the driver’s windscreen was scrolled downwards and a gun was pointing at them. Yoong’s eyes widen and he couldn’t react accordingly.

But his natural instinct was to cover his body. And he did. He sheltered the man in his arms. He was shot. There was a red thin line oozing out from his leg. And then, another shot was heard before the whole place went silent.

“Yoong! Yoong! Hang on! Please! Hang in there!”

Yoong could hear a voice shouting at him. It was a familiar voice. It was distant though but Yoong felt at ease. He closed his eyes as he smiled softly. He knew. He knew Tiffany was nearby.

“Tiffany...”

And then darkness just fell on him.

*

Sungmin has found a place for Yoong. He got Yoong an apartment instead. He was too grateful to Yoong because Yoong took the two bullets for him that left him paralyzed. He promised himself that he would take good care of the man.

Unfortunately, Yoong was in coma for the last 4 years. After he woke up, he couldn’t remember anybody as the second bullet was lodged in his head; causing him to have amnesia. It took him another couple more years before Yoong slowly recalled his past.

He was on the phone when Sunny joined him in the living room. The couple has been married for 20 years and their two sons were all grown up. Kris followed his grandparents when he was a baby because his parents were too busy to look after him. His paternal grandparents brought him back to Canada while Chanyeol remained with Sunny’s parents in Seoul.

That was why Kris grew astray from them. The only person he could relate to was his younger brother, Chanyeol. Sungmin had a hard time with Kris.

“Dear.”

“Hm?”

“Tomorrow is the boys’ birthday. Should we celebrate for them?”

“Do we have to?”

“We have only celebrated it with Chanyeol but not Kris. He is also our son.”

“Alright then, you do the planning and let me know where and time.”

“Thanks darling. Oh, one more thing dear, please try to be tolerant with Kris.”

Sungmin sighed but nodded grudgingly.

“Let’s make Kris happy for once.”

Sungmin promised. Just then, Yoong came out from his room. His luggage was ready. Sunny stood up and smiled at him. She gave him a quick hug.

“Take care of yourself, Yoong.”

“I’m still working for Mr Lee.”

“Ah, so I’ll see you often too.”

“Yes. Sunny, thank you for your hospitality. I appreciate your warm welcome into your home and took good care of me.”

“I have to, Yoong. You saved my husband’s life. If not for you, my children would be without their father now.”

Something squeezed his heart. He thought of his two children. Tears quickly filled his eyes. Sunny knew about his past. She urged him to open and both Sungmin and Sunny promised to help to track them down. They did their part.

“Don’t give up. They will forgive you. And you will find the courage to face them.”

Sunny encouraged him again. Sungmin nodded his head.

“Once you have a steady income, you can find your girlfriend and children again.”

“I hope so.”

Yoong was determined to change his life. He’s going to face reality. No more running.

*

Soo Young was busy hitting his keyboard as he rushed to send an important email out. He hates the corporate world but he didn’t have much choice. He leaned against his armchair once he pressed the sent button.

“FINALLY!”

He pulled out his tie and turned his chair to face his window. The view outside was always refreshing for him. His phone rang; he groaned.

“Yes?”

There was a tinge of irritation; he didn’t like to be disturbed when he was resting.

“Mr Choi, Mr & Mrs Kwon are here to see you.”

“Oh? Let them in.”

Soo Young adjusted his tie neatly. He stood up and greeted the old couple before letting them to the sofa. He asked for two cups of warm water and he sat comfortably beside Mr Kwon. The old couple have always regarded Soo Young as their own son.

“What brings you here, Uncle?”

“We were just taking a stroll and realized we were nearby your office. So we just dropped by to say hello.”

“Heh, that’s nice of you.”

“How are you doing, Soo Young?”

“I’m good, Aunt Taeyeon. Is Krystal doing well?”

“She has been busy with school. She’s hardly at home now.”

“Ah, that’s the life of a high school student.”

“I hope so.”

They were talking for a bit more when Taeyeon decided to ask Soo Young about Yoong’s son. The latter was surprised.

“Have you seen him before?”

Soo Young couldn’t figure out if he should lie. But it would be too sudden to drop the news to them that Kai is their other grandchild.

“I didn’t get to see him.”

“Oh.”

Taeyeon seemed to be disappointed.

“But I believe he should be the same age with Krystal right now. Maybe he’s about few months older.”

“I wonder how Yoong and Jessica doing now.”

Soo Young felt uncomfortable. He knew the truth.

“Taeyeon, I’m sure he’s fine.”

“Yul, he’s our son. I miss him.”

“I know, Taeyeon. I miss him too.”

Soo Young was feeling extremely guilty. He wasn’t too sure if he should continue to lie to them.

“If you can find them, would you want to see your grandson?”

Soo Young asked the question cautiously. Yul was taken aback while Taeyeon’s eyes were watery. They looked at each other and then smiled softly.

“It has been years. We cannot stay mad at Yoong and Jessica anymore. Tiffany has always wanted Krystal to meet her father.”

Soo Young nodded.

“Then maybe you should know something.”

The old couple looked up.

“I’ve seen your grandson.”

Soo Young was going to be truthful now.

 

To be continued...